One-time Young Lords say message stil...

One-time Young Lords say message still relevant, 40 years later

There are 40 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 22, 2008, titled One-time Young Lords say message still relevant, 40 years later. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jose "Cha-Cha" Jimenez returned to his Chicago roots on Sunday, speaking to an audience of more than 200 people gathered in a modest Humboldt Park church about the role played by a one-time street gang, the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Logan Square

Elmhurst, IL

#26 Sep 22, 2008
What a bunch of racist wind bags. Every race had its organizers and activists. When the immigrating races came to Chicago they were all abused until they stood up for themselves. Think of the eastern Europeans who worked the Stock Yards. PR's weren't even allowed to worship in catholic churches. Churches, the center of all communities! PR's were pushed from neighborhoods by the Daley machine. How would the Pols like it if Daley decided to build a new college on Milwaukee ave between Central Park and Pulaski? That's a polish community that is strong yet has its issues. One can see plenty of homeless and alkys walking around at all times. Go to the gas station at Belmont and Milwaukee. East Europeans all trying to work for the next truck that pulls up looking for laborers. Sounds like the Latino community huh?
avid reader wrote:
Read My Bloody Life by Reymundo Sanchez if you're curious to find out what happened to the neighborhood. You won't be disappointed!
You actually believe that trash!
Lucy

Monon, IN

#27 Sep 22, 2008
middleclassguy wrote:
Maybe we should remember another famous "community organizer"; he ran soup kitchens and helped the poor during the depression. History has forgetten his contributins to the community and they shoul be remembered. His name was Alphonse Capone!
The Tribune should be ashamed to run an article touting the exploits of former criminals who claim to be community organizers.
Thank you
Logan Square

Elmhurst, IL

#28 Sep 22, 2008
middleclassguy wrote:
Maybe we should remember another famous "community organizer"; he ran soup kitchens and helped the poor during the depression. History has forgetten his contributins to the community and they shoul be remembered. His name was Alphonse Capone!
The Tribune should be ashamed to run an article touting the exploits of former criminals who claim to be community organizers.
And his legacy continues today, only the Irish are holding the baton. Irish meaning Daley and his cronies. Do you know of any other cities who dye their river green? Which is the dumbest thing ever heard of yet you'll see people lining the banks to cheer.
Radian

Princeton, IL

#29 Sep 22, 2008
fuzzy wrote:
did they have one of them for irish italian immigrants too,,,,
Actually, there were. King Richard Daley I made his bones running with the Hamburg Athletic Club ('The Hamburgers') as political muscle; the Ragen's Athletic and Benevolent Association ('Ragen's Colts') was another Irish gang used as political hired guns in the early part of the 20th century.

It's no wonder the power structure at the time viewed groups like the YL and Panthers as a threat - they gained power by much of the same means, and so knew what the stakes were if they succeeded in unifying their communities.
Jim

Schaumburg, IL

#30 Sep 22, 2008
Logan Square wrote:
<quoted text>
And his legacy continues today, only the Irish are holding the baton. Irish meaning Daley and his cronies. Do you know of any other cities who dye their river green? Which is the dumbest thing ever heard of yet you'll see people lining the banks to cheer.
Todd Stroger is Irish?
McLovin

Miami, FL

#31 Sep 22, 2008
Haditwithsquigglywriting wrote:
Obama was a "community organizer"...
*yawn* All we need is a Hitler reference.... Get a life.
Logan Square

Elmhurst, IL

#32 Sep 22, 2008
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Todd Stroger is Irish?
What is a pawn?

Chess lingo for $200 Alex.
mARIA LOPEZ

Chicago, IL

#33 Sep 22, 2008
Michael wrote:
I was raised to believe that men were expected to remove their hats upon entering a church.
YOUR A LAME! WHO CARES? DIDNT YOUR MOM TEACH THAT GOD WILL ACCEPT ANYONE IN HIS HOUSE! LOSER
mARIA LOPEZ

Chicago, IL

#34 Sep 22, 2008
I WOULD RESPECT SO MUCH THE FACT THAT SOME OF YOU HAVE SUCH NEGATIVE THINGS TO SAY, BUT WHAT I FEEL IS PITY FOR THOSE THAT WEREN'T TAUGHT TO KEEP THEIR MOUTH SHUT WHEN YOU KNOW NOTHING! AND FOR THOSE THAT ARE SO DISRESPECTFUL, AND LACK KNOWLEDGE OF OUR STRUGGLE I DARE YOU TO COME AND BE A PART OF THIS COMMUNITY AND KNOW WHAT IT IS TO REALLY FIGHT FOR RIGHTS....MUST BE NICE TO WHITE! NOT!!!!!!!!!!
Fonzo

United States

#35 Sep 22, 2008
mARIA LOPEZ wrote:
I WOULD RESPECT SO MUCH THE FACT THAT SOME OF YOU HAVE SUCH NEGATIVE THINGS TO SAY, BUT WHAT I FEEL IS PITY FOR THOSE THAT WEREN'T TAUGHT TO KEEP THEIR MOUTH SHUT WHEN YOU KNOW NOTHING! AND FOR THOSE THAT ARE SO DISRESPECTFUL, AND LACK KNOWLEDGE OF OUR STRUGGLE I DARE YOU TO COME AND BE A PART OF THIS COMMUNITY AND KNOW WHAT IT IS TO REALLY FIGHT FOR RIGHTS....MUST BE NICE TO WHITE! NOT!!!!!!!!!!
Take it easy. That is NOT how all "white" people think. I know first hand what its like. I was NOT born with a silver spoon in my mouth, and i AM white. I was born and raised in the humboldt park area, and still till today live by logan blvd.(5 mins.from humboldt park). You need to think about your last sentence a little better. It is not everyone.
dropping the F-bomb

Chicago, IL

#36 Sep 22, 2008
mARIA LOPEZ wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR A LAME! WHO CARES? DIDNT YOUR MOM TEACH THAT GOD WILL ACCEPT ANYONE IN HIS HOUSE! LOSER
It is proper for a man to remove his hat when he enters a Church. Believe me, it won't hurt a bit for one of these "young men" to take off the NY cap. It would be really great if they pulled up thier pants too.

Yeah, God will still accept even the most ignorant. Because I believe, i accept them too.

“friend for life”

Since: Apr 08

Toa Baja, Puerto Rico

#37 Sep 23, 2008
Ed O wrote:
SAY NO TO B.O.
Not only no, but HELL NO!
RONBOTHUNTER

United States

#38 Sep 27, 2008
WHEN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OPPOSES YOUR RIGHT TO BE FREE!!
Puerto Ricans, whether they are called Independents (independentistas), Patriots or Nationalists or Freemen, who desire to be free, must always know that the federal government, here in the States has no “subject matter jurisdiction” over the person, case or location and should be challenged to proof it. These are magic words to learn when in Federal Court for desiring freedom for your/our Country.
You won’t be told this in court but: All jury members, judges, attorneys, and employees working in federal court, must reside in federal territory to legally be a federal juror or touch your case or they can be commercially sued, disbarred and financially ruined for violating your constitutional rights etc.
Your God given right to be free is not wanted by the USA, it will oppose your desire for independence and freedom, because the Federal USA is a profit based Corporation.
The Federal Government is a District of Columbia “Corporation”, as are all the States of the USA. What you know of as the USA, is NOT a Republic, but a multi-based Corporation acting as a Country. These Corporations were formed for the benefit of the real owners. Since June of 1933, everything since then, is under Contract law or commercial law, aka Admiralty law, to benefit your masters in power.
The Federal Government owns Puerto Rico as an ASSET, because it is a slave colony—whether you like the idea or not. But the Federal Government takes orders from those who own and run this (Corporation) Country, but are not of this country. The International Bankers, who really own the corporations called the USA and also the Federal Reserve, will let the slaves of PR be free, only if enough real men of Boricua blood wish to be free, by reserving their rights under the Constitution. Their books will be adjusted and we will be free.
The answer to your freedom lies in your Constitutional rights --- To win --You must always reserve your constitutional, commercial rights and know what they are and how to do so.
A Puerto Rican without a desire for independence and/or freedom from alien control has no heart and soul of a man.
The fact that the public does not know that we are NOT free, makes no difference, to the desire to be free. The PR that wants Statehood is a Gringito, who has no soul of a man left in his traitor's heart. Freedom is happening all over the world and yet we allow Gringitos to kill our right to be free.
A Gringito is a non-Anglo THING, IT is not really a “person”, just like a mass murderer is more like an animal than a person, who internally is so inferior, that he desires to be what he can not be—thus Gringito means little gringo.
The Gringito is like an Uncle Tom to blacks or a collaborator and traitor to many others. To us he/she is all three and much worst. The “It or thing” I call Gringito, is the enemy of freedom -- all thru out HUMAN history.
This abuse must end. No man or woman is a real Man or real woman who is too scared to fight for their souls and be free. If you listen to the Gringito, you will lose your soul.
Thru out eternity, humanity owes its freedom from slavery, ONLY TO BRAVE SOULS who fought and DIED for your right to be free.
The fight will NOT succeed if you don't fight the Gringito enemy/traitor/collaborator at home first. He is there next door and claims he is a real man and tries to give you many excuses of why PR can't be a free Country.
To give away your/our/my Country is not a right of alien invaders, visitors or foreigners with NO Puerto Rican Blood.
The right to vote on THIS ISSUE should NOT be given to NON-Puerto Ricans.
The fight for the independence of Puerto Rico is now non-violent and will be won in the hearts of real men around the World.
The Ronbothunter,
A proud freedom loving Puerto Rican.
All Rights Reserved
I Second Emotions

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#39 Sep 27, 2008
The young lords sucked. Their clothing, body language and speech was just a negro carbon copy of the Black Panterns, and we know how they ended.
RCA Vitin

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#40 Sep 28, 2008
avid reader wrote:
Read My Bloody Life by Reymundo Sanchez if you're curious to find out what happened to the neighborhood. You won't be disappointed!
You mean as in rat/roach infested, falling into pieces
vecinity, shown in movies? NOt dissapointed? JUst the image makes me puke.
badger fan

Walworth, WI

#41 Sep 28, 2008
RCA Vitin wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean as in rat/roach infested, falling into pieces
vecinity, shown in movies? NOt dissapointed? JUst the image makes me puke.
Wow. I didn't realize how much backlash I was going to get from my suggestion. I only meant that it's a great story told from the perspective of someone who lived in the area and what he had to deal with while growing up. The followup book was even better. Even if you don't believe what happened in the book, it still fairly chronicles the changing of the school boundaries, the rise of gangs - and how and why they started: for community activism. Just thought it might give some of the other "white people with silver spoons in their mouth" some perspective. Sheesh! Again, I didn't realize suggesting a book would cause so many problems.

U_S_Mail

“Non compos mentis”

Since: Feb 08

Roma

#42 Oct 2, 2008
badger fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. I didn't realize how much backlash I was going to get from my suggestion. I only meant that it's a great story told from the perspective of someone who lived in the area and what he had to deal with while growing up. The followup book was even better. Even if you don't believe what happened in the book, it still fairly chronicles the changing of the school boundaries, the rise of gangs - and how and why they started: for community activism. Just thought it might give some of the other "white people with silver spoons in their mouth" some perspective. Sheesh! Again, I didn't realize suggesting a book would cause so many problems.
Don’t fret. You’re dealing with a troll. Stick around.
UPS

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#43 Oct 3, 2008
The dressed like Negros, spoke as negros, what is de big deal with this illiterate bums?
UPS

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#44 Oct 3, 2008
I Second Emotions wrote:
The young lords sucked. Their clothing, body language and speech was just a negro carbon copy of the Black Panterns, and we know how they ended.
Sentimentalism not allowed. And new Cretin on the Block,
do not apologize, justify, explain, stich to your trick, only, let others do theirs.
UPS

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#47 Oct 7, 2008
I Second Emotions wrote:
Just reiterating.

Opps can not zpell. opps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wicker Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chicago's lame winter - is Canada to blame? Jan 18 maybe 1
News Chicago immigration rally has message for Trump... Jan 16 spud 9
News Step inside - and back in time - at new Wicker ... Nov '16 chad hatten 3 1
News Rahm promises that Chicago will remain a 'sanct... Nov '16 ky man 31
News Chicago police arrest suspect in dismembered to... Nov '16 former democrat 1
News CPS reverses decision about PARCC exam Nov '16 MichaelNorway 4
News Unsafe construction zones and trashed bike lane... Aug '16 Lance Strongarm 2

Wicker Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wicker Park Mortgages