One-time Young Lords say message stil...

One-time Young Lords say message still relevant, 40 years later

There are 40 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 22, 2008, titled One-time Young Lords say message still relevant, 40 years later. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jose "Cha-Cha" Jimenez returned to his Chicago roots on Sunday, speaking to an audience of more than 200 people gathered in a modest Humboldt Park church about the role played by a one-time street gang, the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jack Czika

Franklin Park, IL

#1 Sep 22, 2008
Puerto Ricans were not the only ones to live in Lincoln Park and Wicker Park during those tumultuous times and their behavior of reckless disregard for everyone else as well as their idea that the neighborhood was "their's" was wrong then and it is wrong now.
NOT A JESTER AT ALL

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

#2 Sep 22, 2008
I have to agree with our POLISH pen pal above. Pueroricans live in a bubble, dreaming of this and that, claiming, demanding respect for a flag, a language, rice and beans as if no one else has/had/should have the same rights, as if they were superior and anointed.........You are right.
Cahill

Fishers, IN

#3 Sep 22, 2008
The article implies that the Young Lords are to be celebrated despite being violent criminals (whose victims, by the way, almost certainly were mainly Puerto Ricans). Does it get more perverse than that? Are thugs to save people victimized by ... thugs? The article implies that displacement of Puerto Ricans via gentrification caused their social problems. Wrong -- the problems were there throughout the Puerto Rican residence. In Humboldt Park, Puerto Ricans "displaced" the Poles who "displaced" the Swedes and Jews, and each of these groups had fewer social pathologies than the Puerto Ricans who succeeded them. Which is the better course:(a) strive to model Puerto Rican norms on those of groups that have succeeded in society, or (b) lionize thugs with bogus and destructive nostalgia?
Wow

Chicago, IL

#4 Sep 22, 2008
Try getting jobs!

Then you won't get "displaced".

I say NO to "No Sey Vende".
terry

Searsport, ME

#5 Sep 22, 2008
'Leadership to show them a different way.'

They're known as parents
Mono Sound

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

#6 Sep 22, 2008
NOT A JESTER AT ALL wrote:
I have to agree with our POLISH pen pal above. Pueroricans live in a bubble, dreaming of this and that, claiming, demanding respect for a flag, a language, rice and beans as if no one else has/had/should have the same rights, as if they were superior and anointed.........You are right.
Only two worthy comments 1 and 2.
middleclassguy

Chicago, IL

#7 Sep 22, 2008
Maybe we should remember another famous "community organizer"; he ran soup kitchens and helped the poor during the depression. History has forgetten his contributins to the community and they shoul be remembered. His name was Alphonse Capone!

The Tribune should be ashamed to run an article touting the exploits of former criminals who claim to be community organizers.
George from outer space

Winnipeg, Canada

#8 Sep 22, 2008
Criminals and community organizers. What a combination for success. Where are the conscerned parents?. Where is the parental responsibility to clean up da hood?

Whose responsibility is it to provide familial role models? Why is it that everyone else other than the criminals, punks, and gangbangers somehow must make society right??. Why not just get rid of the punks? Build the cages for these predators and keep them there till they rot??

Untill these questions are answered by the people who continue to bring these predators into society, these predators will THANKFULLY keep killing each other. Because they are too stupid and lazy to go to school AND EARN an education, with which they can find a real job in civil society.
Ed O

United States

#9 Sep 22, 2008
SAY NO TO B.O.
Haditwithsquiggl ywriting

Chicago, IL

#10 Sep 22, 2008
Obama was a "community organizer"...
fuzzy

United States

#11 Sep 22, 2008
did they have one of them for irish italian immigrants too,,,,
Jeff

United States

#14 Sep 22, 2008
It is shocking to me that a mainstream newspaper would send a reporter to write an article with an obvious positive slant about a street gang of violent criminals. What's next? Stories on how the Gangster Disciples are "helping organize" the black community? What about the Puerto Rican, black, white, and asian victims of the Young Lords? Why weren't they contacted about there impression of this man's little trip down memory lane? Do they agree that the community needs more of the same?
Puerto Rican Bella

Springfield, IL

#15 Sep 22, 2008
NOT A JESTER AT ALL wrote:
Like it or not, we are US born citizens and we have EVERY right to demand those same rights.
Michael

Chicago, IL

#17 Sep 22, 2008
I was raised to believe that men were expected to remove their hats upon entering a church.
Haditwithsquiggl ywriting

Chicago, IL

#19 Sep 22, 2008
Puerto Rican Bella wrote:
<quoted text>
Like it or not, we are US born citizens and we have EVERY right to demand those same rights.
If we give you your independence, your citizenship rights go "poof" unless you were born on the mainland.
Bobby Fisher

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

#20 Sep 22, 2008
Mono Sound wrote:
<quoted text>Only two worthy comments 1 and 2.
I reiterate, there is not much else to say. I CLOSE THIS
THREAD, PERIOD.
rusty nail

Hammond, IN

#22 Sep 22, 2008
In the recent PBS story about Puerto Rican migration to the USA, the Puerto Ricans talked about moving to the Humbolt park neighborhood when it was still a Polish majority. The Puerto Ricans said how nice the neighborhood back then was with the park, stores and houses...hmmm I wonder what happened to this once nice neighborhood!
HUGH G RECTION

AOL

#23 Sep 22, 2008
What happened Bobby? You closed this thread period. But somehow It's still open.
avid reader

Walworth, WI

#24 Sep 22, 2008
Read My Bloody Life by Reymundo Sanchez if you're curious to find out what happened to the neighborhood. You won't be disappointed!
Jeff

United States

#25 Sep 22, 2008
Is it reopened PERIOD?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wicker Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Morning Spin: Preckwinkle says she'll run for r... May 23 Yes But 2
Looking for House sitting position Apr '17 debbie 1
News An LGBT Tour Of The Great Lakes (Aug '15) Apr '17 watching livonia 12
News Bike law enforcement in Chicago: uneven and unfair Mar '17 vinate66 1
News Illinois Congressman Handcuffed After Refusing ... Mar '17 valerie 43
News Honeygrow, Another Fast-Casual Salad Chain, To ... Mar '17 jimmy johnson 2
News Emanuel's 'people plazas' program struggling to... Mar '17 Rep Denny Hasturd 1

Wicker Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wicker Park Mortgages