Chicago's Episcopal Church of the Mediator closes doors after 1...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

By 10:30 a.m., eight altar candles at the Church of the Mediator on Chicago's Southwest Side had been snuffed for the final time.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Nov 15, 2013
Robert M Kraus Sr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 30, 2007
 
There is no point in suggesting that members of the Church of the Mediator join other congregations. Other congregations including many Catholic churches are in the same situation as the Church of the Mediator. I, too, am saddened by it.

Sincerely

Robert M Kraus, catholic
Akron
Jeebus

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 30, 2007
 
One down, thousands to go. The world will only get better when all the invisible sky-god worshipping cults are gone.

The only reason churches should be kept open is as museums of historical interest.
Jay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 30, 2007
 
Please folks-- be a little more friendly toward those that have fond memories of a Church and friends of yerterday.
Clarence

Downers Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 30, 2007
 

Judged:

1

Episcopal Church's in general should be closing due to their acceptance of homosexuals and Lesbians.
david-0-selznick

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 31, 2007
 
ANOTHER triumph for us god-less heathens! Build condos on this tax-exempt property Mayor Daley, so we can use the property taxes to more enjoy your OLYMPICS!
Scott

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 31, 2007
 
Clarence wrote:
Episcopal Church's in general should be closing due to their acceptance of homosexuals and Lesbians.
So, in other words, they should be closed for listening to and living the Gospel of Christ, who accepts all who come to him?
Bill

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 31, 2007
 
Most church closings are simply changing ethnicy of an area. If you read any Chicago history, many large churches were built close to each other due to language and ethnic differences. Many were Polish, Irish, German, ect. As the neighborhoods changed through the years, they became redundant.
Clarence

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 31, 2007
 
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
So, in other words, they should be closed for listening to and living the Gospel of Christ, who accepts all who come to him?
The Gospel is willing to accept all those willing to repent for their sins including most of the Episcopal Church here in the USA.
Mark

Copperopolis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 31, 2007
 
Jesus accepts us all, but he does require us to acknowledge our sins and ask for forgiveness and His power to overcome them so that we may obey Him and do true righteousness (i.e. love God and love our neigborwith our whole heart rather than be controlled by our own selfish desires - that's not something you hear much - people's hearts have grown cold to the truth and so they simply seek their own way and only Christ can wash you clean of your darkness and judgementalism. He is kind and merciful - come to the cross and truely live...

“Love the City that Works!”

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 31, 2007
 
I remember fondly that the Morgan Park Episcopalian Church had many youth activities for us while I was growing up. Then Reverend McClean was very nice to the area children who attended Clissold School. His daughter Judy was a friend of mine in grammar school.

The building is beautiful and I hope that it is preserved as part of the Ridge Morgan Park Historic District.
Community Church

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 31, 2007
 
The idea of a church being the beacon of hope in the community is long gone. The old line Protestants are fading fast with their tolerence and service. The new Christianity is housed auditorium looking structures moved far away from unwanted and unwelcome peoples. The new Christianity is about ME and MY and all else is wrong.
Christine

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 31, 2007
 

Judged:

1

Jeebus wrote:
One down, thousands to go. The world will only get better when all the invisible sky-god worshipping cults are gone.
The only reason churches should be kept open is as museums of historical interest.
Right On Jeebus! I hope they turn this church into a bar.
tired as usual

Hillside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 31, 2007
 
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! THAT CHURCH WILL GET USED TO MANY SOULS NEED TO BE SAVED!!!!!
robroy

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Dec 31, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The church's website is found here: http://www.episcopalmediatorchicago.org/ It proclaims, "All are welcome" and has a rainbow flag. Inclusivity, which is a spin word for homosexual clergy and church blessing, is toxic to churches. This church is further evidence. What church can survive it? It killed the United Church of Canada, and it is killing the UCC and the TEC. The Episcopal diocese of Chicago has drunk deeply of this poison. It's membership is tanking, loosing 7% 2003 to 2006 (2003 being the year that the TEC ordained a practicing homosexual as bishop). All are welcome but nobody wants to come.

“Love the City that Works!”

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Dec 31, 2007
 
Christine wrote:
<quoted text>
Right On Jeebus! I hope they turn this church into a bar.
This won't happen in that area. The precinct is "dry." There are no bars east of Western Avenue and west of Vincinnes Avenue.

There are numerous bars on the west side of Western Avenue, mostly Irish taps, adorned with plenty of shamrocks.
bgab

Palos Hills, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jan 1, 2008
 
Yeah, i hope you guys dont get your wish. what this world need is a bunch of people who dont believe in anything. religion keeps the masses in check.
HarleyRider

Hoffman Estates, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jan 13, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

robroy wrote:
The church's website is found here: http://www.episcopalmediatorchicago.org/ It proclaims, "All are welcome" and has a rainbow flag. Inclusivity, which is a spin word for homosexual clergy and church blessing, is toxic to churches. This church is further evidence. What church can survive it? It killed the United Church of Canada, and it is killing the UCC and the TEC. The Episcopal diocese of Chicago has drunk deeply of this poison. It's membership is tanking, loosing 7% 2003 to 2006 (2003 being the year that the TEC ordained a practicing homosexual as bishop). All are welcome but nobody wants to come.
I agree. I'm a life-long Episcopalian but I'm really getting fed up having the gay thing shoved in my face. If these church websites say "All Are Welcome" , then why should there be a gay pride flag on every page of the websites. Our church now has it that way also. Then they talk about "renunciation of privilege". For the first time in my life I refused to make a pledge this year.
a pastoral comment

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Apr 2, 2008
 
This parish, although dead as an organization, lives on as a spiritual force in the lives of all people it influenced directly and for their children's children. My heart aches for those commenters who cheer its passing.
Diane Joss Mehok

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Nov 15, 2013
 
I have enjoyed this lovely old church since I was a child riding my bike through the Longwood Drive area and stopping at the church to eat sandwiches with my best friend Caryl Lane. I married Garrett Mehok here on September 10, 1960 and we returned to worship on Sunday, September 10, 2000 ~ our 40th wedding anniversary. Those who don't believe in a Holy Creator, our heavenly father Jehovah and his Son Jesus Christ, have never experienced the spiritual dimension of their own existence - only the physical in the here and now - there is much more to life - and it is eternal.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Nov 15, 2013
 
Diane Joss Mehok wrote:
I have enjoyed this lovely old church since I was a child riding my bike through the Longwood Drive area and stopping at the church to eat sandwiches with my best friend Caryl Lane. I married Garrett Mehok here on September 10, 1960 and we returned to worship on Sunday, September 10, 2000 ~ our 40th wedding anniversary. Those who don't believe in a Holy Creator, our heavenly father Jehovah and his Son Jesus Christ, have never experienced the spiritual dimension of their own existence - only the physical in the here and now - there is much more to life - and it is eternal.
Diane,

Congratulations on a sucessful marriage. May you both have many more anniversaries together!

I know this doesn't help the loss. But, as Jesus said, "Store up your treasures in Heaven,..."

So, looking forward, on your 50th, God willing and the creek don't rise, find a new Chapel within which to celebrate again!

Rev. Ken

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

South Loop Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

South Loop People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

South Loop News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in South Loop
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••