Are we done with deep-dish pizza?

Are we done with deep-dish pizza?

There are 55 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 10, 2007, titled Are we done with deep-dish pizza?. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Deep-dish pizza and I go way back. There was a time when a younger, considerably thinner version of me made regular pilgrimages to Uno, or to my other favorite, Lou Malnati's. My wife and I held our wedding ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

chicago

#42 Dec 16, 2007
i like aurellio's the regular style but Giordanos and gino's east deep dish. I always feel guilty after eating I even let someone have the Last slice to make me feel better.
Dan R

Chicago, IL

#43 Dec 16, 2007
When will the deep dish nonsense end. Thin crust has always been THE Chicago Pizza. Deep dish was born in the Michigan Avenue tourist traps and never really made it in Chicago.
Lifelong Chicagoan

Chicago, IL

#44 Dec 16, 2007
Dan R wrote:
When will the deep dish nonsense end. Thin crust has always been THE Chicago Pizza. Deep dish was born in the Michigan Avenue tourist traps and never really made it in Chicago.
Most. Absurd. Post. Ever.
Mary Ann

Freedom, PA

#47 Dec 18, 2007
Hey Phil......what about Taylor Street Pizza and Gino's East? I think more research is needed for your revised pizza article.
reality

Chicago, IL

#48 Dec 18, 2007
Mary Ann wrote:
Hey Phil......what about Taylor Street Pizza and Gino's East? I think more research is needed for your revised pizza article.
Gino's East hasn't been good in decades. Since they franchised, the quality has been awful.
Rob

Redwood City, CA

#49 Dec 20, 2007
This is the most ridiculous article Vettel has ever dreamed up.

The reason for all the new thin-crust eateries is simple: no deep-dish newcomer can compare to Pizzeria Uno or Lou Malnati's. Those two places have perfected the art of deep-dish pizza so any pizza entrepreneur knows s/he is destined to fail if they try to put out a deep-dish pie. That leaves only one alternative: thin crust pizza, where no single establishment reigns, leaving pizza newcomers to easily try that slice of the market (pun partially intended).

In the same way, the presence of new thin crust places doesn't mean people have abandoned deep-dish. Again, it simply means that entrepreneurs know they're not doomed to forever comparisons with Uno's or Malnati's if they enter the deep-dish arena. The only way to know people have abandoned deep-dish is if Uno's and Malnati's goes out of business. And we all know that ain't happening.

C'mon, Vettel.
Phil_A

West Chicago, IL

#50 Dec 22, 2007
Phil V and all ...
When it comes to deep dish pizza, you blew it. Bigtime. While Uno, Due, Lou's yada yada are good and sometimes better than good, especially when Lou's get's their cornmeal crust thing right, by far the best in all of Chicagoland is PIERO'S. Tiny little shop on Ridge Ave, Wilmette. Mostly takeout but now they have a few places to grab a slice.
And sit. Folks, This is melt in your mouth terrific. An avalanche of cheese and your fave toppings. Ours? Order the garlic spinich and anchovy and see what we mean.
why do ny people

Riverside, IL

#51 Dec 22, 2007
fold there slices when they eat there pizza? because it's to thin and tastes like cardboard and ketchup? they wish it was chicago deep dish pizza the only good kind and the only way to eat it , deep dish. we do not have to fold our pizza !!!!!
Joshua Soller from LA

West Chicago, IL

#52 Dec 22, 2007
I live in Los Angeles and when I fly into Chicago to do business, I always go out of my way to visit Piero's pizza. I have a cousin that lives in Highland Park, and when I visit her I make a point of stopping off for a large deep dish. Nothing on the West Coast or East Coast compares. As a former Chicago native, I can say that Uno's, Due's, Lou Malnati's, and Gino's East have been living on the fumes of their undeserved reputations for years. Those of you who like thin crust should be evicted from Chicago. Crappy pizza hell in cardboard form awaits you in either NYC or LA.
Paul

United States

#53 Jan 1, 2008
1st off, no deep dish is not dead. But who says it is "Chicago Style". Since I have been a young boy (born, raised and always lived in Chicago) to almost 50 I have always remembered the "new" thin crust as being "Chicago Style" pizza. I seem to remember deep dish coming around in the late 70's (more prevelant that is) and growing somewhat. But in the 60's (when dining out with my parents) it was always thin crust. And what about some of the great thin crust "REAL" pizza places? No mention of Palermo's, Traverso's, Beggars? Pizza Pete? Little Italian. Maybe it is Southside tastes. Yes that must be it. I don't care what anybody (especially some artsy fartsy food critic, get a real job) says. Clams, like pinapples do NOT belong on pizza. Sausage, pepporoni, onions, mushrooms, peppers yes. Clams, no.
Must be Cub Fans.
Paul

United States

#54 Jan 1, 2008
Lifelong Chicagoan wrote:
<quoted text>
Most. Absurd. Post. Ever.
YES, I agree, YOURS is the most absurd post. EVER
Thin crust is Chicago Style Pizza
Lifelong Chicagoan

Chicago, IL

#55 Jan 1, 2008
Paul wrote:
<quoted text>
YES, I agree, YOURS is the most absurd post. EVER
Thin crust is Chicago Style Pizza

Paul, I don't care if you once lived in Chicago, or not, or you made a connecting flight at O'Hare once and ate the garbage that passes for pizza at the concessions there -- you and all of the other folks from California, by definition, are not allowed to comment on anything relating to pizza.

So STFU already. If we want opinions from pansy-a$$ed left-coasters, we'll come beat it out of you.
Lifelong Chicagoan

Chicago, IL

#56 Jan 1, 2008
That **** was S T F U.
Leave it to Beavers

Elgin, IL

#57 Jan 1, 2008
Paul wrote:
1st off, no deep dish is not dead. But who says it is "Chicago Style". Since I have been a young boy (born, raised and always lived in Chicago) to almost 50 I have always remembered the "new" thin crust as being "Chicago Style" pizza. I seem to remember deep dish coming around in the late 70's (more prevelant that is) and growing somewhat. But in the 60's (when dining out with my parents) it was always thin crust. And what about some of the great thin crust "REAL" pizza places? No mention of Palermo's, Traverso's, Beggars? Pizza Pete? Little Italian. Maybe it is Southside tastes. Yes that must be it. I don't care what anybody (especially some artsy fartsy food critic, get a real job) says. Clams, like pinapples do NOT belong on pizza. Sausage, pepporoni, onions, mushrooms, peppers yes. Clams, no.
Must be Cub Fans.
I agree with Paul. I believe thin crust was the standard Chicago Pizza until the mid-late 70's. Deep dish exploded after that. No other city has the quality of the greezy spoons that we have. Italian beefs, Gyros, all the deep fried goodies (fries, o-rings,mushrooms). We are truly blessed with all of these grease-bomb fast food joints.
Chrobry

United States

#58 Jan 1, 2008
In Philly we have great pizza in Roxborough at Dantonio's, Roma's, Alex's, Tony A's, and Mr. P's. I don't like Argento's!!! In 1973, there was a fantastic pizzeria in the 4200 block of Manayunk Avenue; it was called the "Parthenon" but it quickly went out of business. There is also a swell pizzeria in Conshohocken (the next town) called Conshohocken's Best Pizza.
The pizzerias in Philly also serve Philadelphia steak and cheesesteak sandwiches and hoagies.
Regarding other traditional Philly fare, we probably have a real contest going with Chicago and any other major American city regarding the number, variety, and consistent excellent quality of our food joints, a lot of which are in South Philadelphia - the center of Italian-American culture in the Philadelphia area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River North Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A bridge to segregation? An Englewood photograp... 18 hr lol 1
News Chicago police arrest suspect in dismembered to... (Nov '16) May 6 new bee 2
News Exclusive: Garry McCarthy, former top cop fired... Mar '18 Josie 6
How's the city of industry? Mar '18 Thomas 1
Man mrs alisa thank you Mar '18 Thomas 1
News H Mart Chicago Opens With Korean 'Healthy Fried... Feb '18 Joseph DeDominicis 1
be safe kids. violent mexicans on kinzie yester... Dec '17 therealthomas 2

River North Jobs

Personal Finance

River North Mortgages