Are we done with deep-dish pizza?

There are 20 comments on the Dec 10, 2007, Chicago Tribune story titled Are we done with deep-dish pizza?. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Deep-dish pizza and I go way back. There was a time when a younger, considerably thinner version of me made regular pilgrimages to Uno, or to my other favorite, Lou Malnati's. My wife and I held our wedding ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
lostinthevines

Plainfield, IL

#1 Dec 12, 2007
Heresy. Absolute heresy. Deep dish pizza IS Chicago. Save the thin-crust crackeresque wafer POS's to the Sex and the City crowd.

“I comment, therefore, I am!”

Since: Sep 07

Wilmette, IL

#2 Dec 12, 2007
I will eat almost any kind of pizza, because that's the kind of person I am. But I definitely prefer thin crust. Much of what passes for thin crust really is not thin at all, but what I would call "medium." This in between pizza is really the least desirable of all. There is a famous delivery place that specializes in this stuff. I think we all know who I am talking about. It's quick, but it wreaks. Give me paper thin, not too heavy on the tomato base. And I don't want wine with it, just enough diet coke to pretend I am a victim of waterboarding. Ah, that's good!
Pizza king

Monterey, TN

#3 Dec 12, 2007
Hey Phil....... Thin crust pizza is Chicago pizza too and has been for longer than the deep dish crap that I refer to as "tourist pizza" Want a great pizza, go to Joe's Italian Villa in Bridgeview for one of the best pizzas in the universe. Chicago pizza is thin crust with sausage on it. Cut in squares not triangles with the cheese on top of the other condiments.
Artichoke pizza? YUK. Those are California's version of pizza and should be shunned not publicized, not when the real thing can be had at most local pizzerias.
Brian Miller

Evanston, IL

#4 Dec 12, 2007
I recently went to NYC with some fellow Chicagoans. We had some pizza from a semi-famous NYC restaurant that was paper-thin/medium. My friends were all raving about it, but in all honesty, it wasn't anything great. The tomato sauce was just that, tomato sauce. No spices, no originality. The ingredients were blah. My friends kept raving about how they could taste how "fresh" it was. If I want fresh, I'll eat a salad. In my opinion, I think they were all hyping up how "good" the pizza was to make themselves feel better about dropping $20 on what was essentially crackers with a topping.

These new places are just that; new. Novelty is always something that draws people. But they won't last. There's a reason why Ginos, Lou's, Uno's, etc. all have been around forever. Because they taste the best. Period.

Not to pick on Mr. Friedman, but anyone who chooses Diet Coke with their pizza is not someone who I would ask to pick what type of pizza is best.
Brian Miller

Evanston, IL

#5 Dec 12, 2007
For the record, my location says "Arlington, Texas." I am actually located in Evanston. I guess my ISP is based in Arlington.

I just didn't want to be accused of being an out of towner who has no idea what they are talking about.
Billy Bob

Pleasanton, CA

#6 Dec 12, 2007
Brian Miller wrote:
I recently went to NYC with some fellow Chicagoans. We had some pizza from a semi-famous NYC restaurant that was paper-thin/medium. My friends were all raving about it, but in all honesty, it wasn't anything great. The tomato sauce was just that, tomato sauce. No spices, no originality. The ingredients were blah. My friends kept raving about how they could taste how "fresh" it was. If I want fresh, I'll eat a salad. In my opinion, I think they were all hyping up how "good" the pizza was to make themselves feel better about dropping $20 on what was essentially crackers with a topping.
These new places are just that; new. Novelty is always something that draws people. But they won't last. There's a reason why Ginos, Lou's, Uno's, etc. all have been around forever. Because they taste the best. Period.
Not to pick on Mr. Friedman, but anyone who chooses Diet Coke with their pizza is not someone who I would ask to pick what type of pizza is best.
Liked your post. Diet Coke bit - LOL.
DIET COKE

Forest Park, IL

#7 Dec 13, 2007
WITH PIZZA ONLY IF YOU ARE DIEBETIC !! MAKE SENSE.
Dave

Corona, NY

#8 Dec 13, 2007
Nice article, Phil - but as a native of Chicago - the Greatest City in the World - deep dish is where it's at!

I live in Brooklyn, NY and with the exception of three pizzerias, New Yorkers know nothing of good tasting pizza. How I long for Uno's, Giordano's, Gino's, Connie's, Leona's, Home Run Inn and Lou Malnati's!

I think I'll move back! I've made myself hungry.

db
djt

United States

#9 Dec 13, 2007
Brian Miller wrote:
I am also astounded in NY they call that corregated cardboard with the Sphegetti O's sauce and cheese is called Pizza. You could never get someone on the East Coast to admit Chicago Style rules. And how about California Pizza Kitchen? Just another reason for California to break off and fall in the Ocean.
Jan

United States

#10 Dec 13, 2007
Great article, Phil. I like thin crust pizza when it is done right and I am looking forward to trying some of the places listed in the article. But, when the pizza craving really hits, nothing but deep dish will do! There is good reason that Chicago is known for its deep dish pizza - there is nothing like it anywhere else!
Kevin

Chicago, IL

#11 Dec 13, 2007
I like both thin crust and deep dish, and order one or the other depending on what joint I'm in - thin crust at The Candlelite on Western Ave. or deep dish at Gullivers. I agree with Jan though, when I get a craving for pizza, it is usually for deep dish.

Oh, and by the way, some places have forgotten how to make deep dish. The last deep dish I had from Lou Malnati's (gasp) was so thin on toppings, they put more on their thin crust. Now their crust does taste good, but for the price, I'm not trying to get all that bread. I want some cheese and toppings on my deep dish!
ZUP

United States

#12 Dec 13, 2007
I love PIZZA - but I never had any good pizza in NY - ever. I like thin crust and stuffed better than deep dish. I even like Chicsgo Pizza and Oven Grinder's version. I cried when Charlotte's closed (just outside of Palatine on the way to Barrington)- I wish they would sell the recipe and teach someone to make it. Captain Pequod's - Yum. Lou Malnati's - wonderful. Chicago just makes GOOD pizza with only a few exceptions. Did you see the yo-yo's on the Today show proclaim NY having the best pizza? New Yorkers seemed to like soft and soggy crust they can bend and fold.
Bill

Orland Park, IL

#13 Dec 13, 2007
I'm seventy years old and have been eating Chicago pizza since 1955. There wasn't any deep dish pizza, so lets not call deep dish as Chicago pizza. Thin crust forever.
Three cheers for Vito and Nicks.
Mary Rapata

Romeoville, IL

#14 Dec 13, 2007
NO! NO! NO! to deep dish. It's not the pizza I grew up with in Chicago and it certainly isn't Italian. If you want cheese, eat cheese.
ZUP

United States

#15 Dec 13, 2007
Marry Rapata - sounds Italian! LOL But I think deep dish is Italian - must depend upon the area of Italy you are from - to begin with it could have been just a homey something than Mama threw together in the kitchen. There was an Italian restaurant in Palatine in the early 60's where the owner made what is called deep dish today but it was never on the menu. The restaurant owner made it for himself and employees - something his mother always made when he was a kid. Everyone loved it.
McDermid

Mount Prospect, IL

#16 Dec 13, 2007
We absolutely LOVE the deep-dish pizza at Lou Malnati's. We have been fans for many years. The problem is that we don't have any Lou's restaurants (dine-in or carry-out) located near us. Lemont/Homer Glen area. We have tried contacting Lou's about this, but we seem to get nowhere. Maybe you have some "pull" for us? Until we find a Lou's near us, we must either drive a great distance or , sad to say, do without.
Former Business Flyer

Chicago, IL

#17 Dec 13, 2007
NY pizza has to be the most overrated cr.ap on the planet. When a New Yorker starts raving about his "great" hometown pizza, I take off my shoe, hand it to him and say, "Here, try my New York style pizza. You won't know the difference."

If you're ever in Boston, go to the North End and try the pizza at Ernesto's. It's literally a couple of quick rights after you get out of the tunnel coming from Logan.
Mike King

Chicago, IL

#18 Dec 13, 2007
Mr. Phil,

Great story, however if deep dish disappears I may as well move. Lou Malnati's corn meal crust deep dish simply is the very best there is or ever will be. Then add their house salad, nervana.

Thanks,

Mike
John Knoerle

Aurora, MO

#19 Dec 13, 2007
I think that what Julia Child said after tasting a Big Mac applies as well to deep dish pizza. "It's all bread."
DEMojica

Dayton, OH

#20 Dec 13, 2007
Before the white man found Chicago, we were eating thin crust pizza, with sausage on it. What is thick crust? An idiot that didn't know how to make a thin crust Chicago pizza. If you live in the Fox Valley, and you want to try out the perfect Chicago pizza go to Pizza Cosina, in South Elgin, on Randall Road. You will see what I mean.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River North Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Garcia hits Emanuel on homicide increase Apr 2 reality is a crutch 1
News ACLU: Chicago leads NYC in use of stop-and-frisk Mar 30 rahm Jizzbucket e... 4
News A list of Chicago's best landlords Feb '15 gaga2 3
News How to survive Chicago's latest arctic blast Jan '15 Sweetness 3
News Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... Dec '14 obunglerApenis 20
News Chicago: Urine Trouble: How Can the CTA Keep It... (Sep '14) Oct '14 BigjigsDigUrine 7
News 4 shot in River North among 18 wounded across city (May '14) May '14 reality is a crutch 5
More from around the web

River North People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]