Water taxi will serve River North via...

Water taxi will serve River North via Erie Street stop

There are 17 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 24, 2009, titled Water taxi will serve River North via Erie Street stop. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It's not as romantic as gondola ride, but commuting via water taxi has come to the River North neighborhood of Chicago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

tomj

United States

#1 Jul 28, 2009
I applaud adding this stop. However, that site would be perfect for a canoe launch/landing. It will be much less obrusive and it wudl enhance the river for users.
DJC

Chicago, IL

#2 Jul 28, 2009
I just took this water taxi to work - it was great!
Do No Harm1981

Chicago, IL

#3 Jul 28, 2009
Can't wait to take advantage of this!

Since: Oct 08

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 28, 2009
I'd be thrilled if the taxi came further north up the river, perhaps to Ravenswood Manor, or even the launch/docks near Addison and/or Belmont. Sounds a lot more pleasant than the CTA. I would pay extra.

I hope this pilot works out, and it encourages them to extend further north.
david

Hayward, CA

#5 Jul 28, 2009
Where is "Willis Tower/Union Station" stop located?
Luis

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 28, 2009
I love this idea for residential commuters. I just wish the water Taxi would accept a CTA card, I would take it every day to work. It normally takes the same amount of time as the bus but $6 each way is a little steep. I would be more apt to take it as daily transportation if was part of the city transportation system and priced right for downtown commuters.
Luis

Chicago, IL

#7 Jul 28, 2009
Luis wrote:
I love this idea for residential commuters. I just wish the water Taxi would accept a CTA card, I would take it every day to work. It normally takes the same amount of time as the bus but $6 each way is a little steep. I would be more apt to take it as daily transportation if was part of the city transportation system and priced right for downtown commuters.
My Mistake it is only $3 for round trip for commuters. Much better I was looking at the standard rates. Still would love to use my CTA card to pay for it.
akg

United States

#8 Jul 28, 2009
david wrote:
On Adams at the river (Southeast end of the bridge on Adams street, across from Potbelly)
Vinny

Elmwood Park, IL

#9 Jul 28, 2009
It's a great idea more frequent stops.
LTD

Chicago, IL

#10 Jul 28, 2009
"Touted as the "first ever residential-oriented" stop, Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) said it will serve as a much-needed amenity for the fast-growing neighborhood, which is full of young professionals, and ease downtown congestion at no cost to the city."

Hey Reilly, construction debris continues to fall off of the Elysian. Contruction staging still takes place in the park. Keep up the great work.
Sally

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 28, 2009
Years ago there was talk about running a commuter boat service down the Chicago River serving the out lying neighborhoods. I wonder what ever became of that.......could it be political red tape? Money under the table not large enough???
MikeC

United States

#12 Jul 28, 2009
david wrote:
A better question would be, Where and what is Willis Tower??

Since: Oct 08

Chicago, IL

#13 Jul 28, 2009
MikeC wrote:
<quoted text>
A better question would be, Where and what is Willis Tower??
I dunno, but there are big signs in front of Sears Tower that seem to suggest it is now called Willis Tower. Must be some kind of bad joke, perhaps a Halloween costume for a big building.

Just kidding, not sure if you were, but it was pretty big news that Sears Tower changed its' name to Willis Tower.
R Perez

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#14 Jul 28, 2009
Who the hell is Willis and what did he do to the Sears tower?
Old Town

Conshohocken, PA

#15 Jul 28, 2009
This is great, for a city with a huge fascination with it's waterfront we have very few options for transit on the waterways.

I could see a water taxi working as far north at Division St or North Ave.

As a tangent to this I would appreciate some type of Trans-Lake Michigan high speed service to New Buffalo, St. Joe or South Haven. In New England there are ferries to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard that exceed 50 MPH.

At 50 MPH the boat could leave Chicago at 5 PM and arrive in Saint Joe 6:30 Central time. A 90 minute boat ride is ten times better than a 90 minute drive.
marilou

Quezon, Philippines

#16 Jul 29, 2009
i love u babe
marilou VDC

Quezon, Philippines

#17 Jul 29, 2009
just wanted to say i love u to my love..lol!
he let em see this article about water taxi..and its really cool i guess

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River North Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A Chicago family hurt by sanctuary city politics Jul 29 VeganTiger 2
News Family-friendly Chicago Jul 22 reality is a crutch 1
News Woman dies after falling from Streeterville hig... Jul 18 reality is a crutch 1
News Eyes on the Street: A Wild Night for Chicago's ... Jun '15 reality is a crutch 1
News Police: Missing woman with brain injury may be ... May '15 reality is a crutch 1
News A list of Chicago's best landlords Feb '15 gaga2 3
News How to survive Chicago's latest arctic blast (Jan '15) Jan '15 Sweetness 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

River North Mortgages