Voice of the People

Voice of the People

There are 3 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 4, 2007, titled Voice of the People. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Cherish Macy's This is in response to 'Macy's: State St. store 'doing badly'; Official says greater effort needed to get traffic into flagship' . I would like to suggest that Chicagoans who are pining ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Dorian Lincoln park

United States

#1 Jun 4, 2007
I am highly offended by this letter to the editor, which insults the judgment of the people of Chicago, who are voting with their feet. This is like asking us to cherish the devil. Lundgren (Lundgreed) came in and swooped down on a Chicago landmark and cultural icon, for no other reasons than lust for greed and power. I still cherish Field's and know that it can be brought back. Macy's doesn't even own the State Street store, they're just tenants. Our boycott is working, and the result will eventually be the demise of Macy's and the restoration of Field's. I would personally dance on Macy's grave and be the first to line up for the re-opening day of Marshall Field's.
Not my real name

United States

#2 Jun 17, 2007
Ask for frybread at a powwow in the NORTHERN Native American communities and you'll get something like this: a rounded ball of dough, deep-fried, eaten plain, or dipped in either sugar or honey and nuts.

Ask about frybread in the SOUTHERN Native American communities and you'll get something like this: a FLAT, tortilla-like piece of dough, deep fried, topped with the stuff that makes for a taco; thus they are often referred to as "Indian tacos."

Different regions have different traditions and tastes. While Northerners may have partaken of southern frybread (which is more like a meal)to try it, it is not likely that they will want to do away with the northern frybread (which is more like a snack or dessert)in order to make room for southern frybread. The frybread in these two regions will CONTINUE AS THEY HAVE, and will remain regional tradtional favorites.

If Terry could only understand the difference between Northern frybread and Southern frybread, and why they are different, and why they continue to be different, and why they will probably ALWAYS continue to be different, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, he'd understand why Macy's should have stayed Macy's, and Marshall Field's, Kaufmann's, Filene's and the rest should have remained as they are. The resistance to Macy's by the Midwest is not just about emotions; it's about REGIONS AND TRADITIONS OF THOSE REGIONS.

An Ojibwa from the North might enjoy a taste of Southern frybread when he's in Cherokee country, but he'll be glad to taste his familiar and traditional Northern frybread when he returns HOME. Conversely, the Cherokee from the South would likely enjoy some Northern frybread dipped in honey and crushed nuts when he comes up north, but he's sure to miss his "Indian taco" while here.
Not my real name

United States

#3 Jun 17, 2007
Continued:

For the sake of analogy, is it possible a Southern Native American food vendor offer ALSO the Northern traditional frybread at his booth? Well, sure - he would have some who would venture trying it, and many who would refuse it altogether, staying with their familiar southern frybread. But I said all of that to say this:

What Lundgren has done is similar to trying to FORCE Midwesterners (and others) to LOVE his "Macy's East/West coast frybread" and has attempted to murder even the memory of our most beloved "Chicago frybread vendor" which also found great favor throughout the Midwest and elsewhere in the US, as well as with international tourists. Mr. Lundgren, Macy's might have been, for Midwesterners, a nice place to VISIT in it's legacy regions, but the Midwest REGIONS have their own familiar tastes and traditions - we'd like to keep our own frybread; it just plain tastes BETTER to us. The Midwest wants what the Midwest produced and delivered: Marshall Field and lots of company.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River North Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News More Than 60 People Shot in Chicago Jun 13 bozo 8
News Lots Of Fun, But Lots Of Traffic In Chicago Thi... Jun 12 Youngest Tastes Best 3
News Duckworth blasts Kirk for silence on Trump's co... Jun 10 Mitt s Airtight D... 2
News Dusty Groove Will Revive A Chicago Soul DJ Trad... Jun 8 bozo 1
News Michael Selvie was charged Thursday with the mu... (Jan '07) Jun 4 His brother 22
News With Spire project dead, plan stalls to develop... May 31 maschwab 1
News Girl, 15, Among 3 Dead in Memorial Day Weekend ... May 29 bozo 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

River North Mortgages