Iron Gate Falls, Kills 3-Year-Old

Iron Gate Falls, Kills 3-Year-Old

There are 18 comments on the NBC 5 Chicago story from Jun 27, 2008, titled Iron Gate Falls, Kills 3-Year-Old. In it, NBC 5 Chicago reports that:

A 3-year-old boy is reportedly dead Friday evening after a metal gate crushed him on the Near North Side.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5 Chicago.

Steve

Waterloo, IL

#1 Jun 27, 2008
Hazard like this should be inspected they are more dangerous than other things because the danger is hidden.
Steve

Waterloo, IL

#2 Jun 27, 2008
RIP Little one may god be with you.
wayne from burnham

Chicago, IL

#3 Jun 27, 2008
WTF,people wake up,wtf is REALLY going on here,do we really need all these guns,shootings,violence?Why can't we just take them out back like we did back in the day?

“RIP Murdered Officers”

Since: May 08

Chicago

#4 Jun 27, 2008
WHERE WERE THE PARENTS?(Sorry, PARENT). Completely preventable. Parents need to take responsibility for their children.
DLCL

Elk Grove Village, IL

#6 Jun 28, 2008
This is so tragic! May this little precious boy rest in peace. If CHICAGO HOUSING AUTHORITY does do their "so-called weekly checks" on their property then why have they not yet fixed the gates that ARE CHAINED TO POLES. I have a chain link fence w/ a gate. My gate is not chained to the pole. It is hung on the pole by the connectors, that you can get at HOME DEPOT for under a couple of bucks.
I used to have a "HUD" house that was rented out a while back. They NEVER did weekly checks, not to mention monthly or even yearly. We only had the one check when the tenant moved in, and then maybe once in 5 years.
Blackman Chicago

University Park, IL

#7 Jun 28, 2008
Project people!!!!!!!!!! The parents could put down the crackpipe and watch their children.
Blackman Chicago

University Park, IL

#8 Jun 28, 2008
Now they can sue the management company to make money,since they don't work. If mama was watching her child it would have never happened.You all are the only breed of people that can destroy metal and concrete.
Pico

Chicago, IL

#9 Jun 28, 2008
A little boy killed by the very iron gate that was supposed to protect him. How is that for Irony?
Amity

United States

#10 Jun 28, 2008
may god be with him and his parents i have lost a child in november when he wrapped his body in his bed sheets and sufficated i know how you feel and if you are reading this please i want you to know that i understand and you should let your feeling come out any way they can .

i have changed my life very much since all of this has happened i have been baptized and you should start changing your because god had his purpose of taking our precious angles from us

every day i look at the pictures i had of him and he was only 9 months and 3 days so i know it is a little more harsher because you had him so long but just think he is in gods garden waiting on you

im soooo sorry that this has happened!
Amity

United States

#11 Jun 28, 2008
for the person who said where were the parents for one im sure if you are a father or mother that there was a quick second that you have not watched your child. and when i lost mine we were all sleeping .

i know how this mother feels right now so you should have respect and not say things like this to them. it was a accident but if this wasent a accident and someone purposely done it to him then they should burn in hel*
Sentinel

United States

#12 Jun 28, 2008
The mother had this to say..."Oh, I done seen it all....between takin' hits off my crack pipe while sitting on a bench three blocks away....dat's some good sh*t!!"
Amity

United States

#13 Jun 28, 2008
officer logic wrote:
WHERE WERE THE PARENTS?(Sorry, PARENT). Completely preventable. Parents need to take responsibility for their children.
honestly i do not know what hppened or who these people are but i do know that i have lost my precious little boy in november but he died because in early morning housrs around 3:00am he wrapped his body in his bed sheets while he was sleeping so i just ask before anyone is convicted of anything please take the time out to think of your kids im sure you have not watched them every second of you life night or day

i also have a 2 year old now and my deceased son was 9 months he was my second child and everyday i miss him and want him and i cant all i have is pictures and my memories
Amity

United States

#14 Jun 28, 2008
Sentinel wrote:
The mother had this to say..."Oh, I done seen it all....between takin' hits off my crack pipe while sitting on a bench three blocks away....dat's some good sh*t!!"
so the mother was not watching the boy im sorry but i didnt get all the scoop!
Sentinel

United States

#15 Jun 28, 2008
Ok, so let me get this straight...this old, rusty, iron gate that supposedly "fell by itself" did not fall during the entire time BEFORE the boy got there (possibly months and months, which one month has two and a half million seconds in it...and the gate probably fell in two seconds. If you figure the odds of the gate falling WITHOUT that little boy hanging on it (and he didn't know, he was just a three year old who was riding his tricycle and having fun)...it doesn't add up.
The mom's saying that, for two reasons.
One, if she wasn't watching him or if she was but didn't stop him from getting on the gate, she could face negligence charges and serve jail time. Two, she wants the money from a law suit. This whole thing is a bunch of crap and it is unfortunate that a little boy was the only victim here and will never get to grow up because his mom wasn't protecting him like she should have been doing.
STEVE

Anchorage, AK

#16 Jun 28, 2008
THE mom was watching who !!!
Jen

United States

#17 Jun 29, 2008
Headline should read - Mother locked up for letting 3 year old play alone in cabrini green, and the child is killed
what is she thinking - a 3 year old in any neighborhood should not be allowed to be unsupervised. Newsflash world - a 3 year old cannot take care of him or herself.. She makes it sound like she is the mother of the year - "this was the first time I let him play alone !" Yeah right first of all, and second of all - it is called child abandonment -
Good parents and Good people know this was and is wrong. This child should not have been neglected this way with no adult supervision. This mother is to blame for this innocent child's death. He should have been in home not out without his mother or father.. period. The mother is to blame
parent of 2

Hammond, IN

#18 Jul 8, 2008
maybe the parents in the neighbor hood should watch there children a little more closley and not let them destroy their communities, you have to teach children to respect there surroundings and now to go an blame the housing authority,
come on you did the damage to your neighborhood dont blame that on someone else. buck up and take responsibility for your self and your childrens actions. If the community had respect for them selves and others and took care of there communities and kept them up and not depended on the housing authority to do everything you would have a nice neighbor hood where your children who have manners and respect could play peacefully
you dont need money to live decent and clean and respecful of your surroundings. they choose to live like that no one to blame but the people who live there.
brittany crawford

Oak Lawn, IL

#20 Oct 15, 2008
BLACKMAN CHICAGO, YOU ARE ONE RACIST POMPOUS IDIOT I THINK THAT IT WAS THE PARENTS FAULT AND ALL BLACK PEOPLE AREN'T CRACKHEADS WE HAVE SOME VERY SUCCESSFUL BLACK PEOPLE TAKE A LOOK AT OPRAH.YOU NEED TO THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Near North Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
all these mass shootings. it's enough. Nov '17 crazy people 1
FOUND KEYS- Hamlin/Fullerton Nov '17 Mel94 1
what's a meow meow? Oct '17 the real thomas 1
saint clair meow meows. omg this morning i saw ... Sep '17 e unter 2
caserollin yet? are we? :P Sep '17 kissing ground sa... 1
back to professionalism on saturday 930. thank ... Sep '17 im sorry god 1
so what's streeterville? is that a place where ... Sep '17 cia jami rose 141... 1

Near North Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Near North Mortgages