Bicyclist dies from injuries; driver ...

Bicyclist dies from injuries; driver cited

There are 400 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 10, 2008, titled Bicyclist dies from injuries; driver cited. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A bicyclist was killed Monday night when he ran into the open door of a sport-utility vehicle door on Chicago's Near North Side and was thrown into the path of oncoming traffic, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
Kara

Skokie, IL

#523 Jun 11, 2008
Mister Brooks wrote:
Well, Delivery Guy, your video won't work because the person is not riding a bicycle. They are driving a motor scooter. Cyclists here will see that and say, "That only happens to people on scooters. I'm on a bike. It won't happen to me."
it just looked like a big crate of tomatoes. just awful. ; (

(Delivery Guy...look what you have me thinking about! Boo!)
Kara

Skokie, IL

#524 Jun 11, 2008
I ride on the lakefront, for pleasure and not to work.

People do get injured on the lakefront every year, sometimes killed.

I understand why cyclists "roll through" stop signs and don't come to a complete stop....as long as they are looking out and stopping if they need to give the right-of-way.

The vid is on a busy roadway...blech.

I don't know why this has become such an issue this year. I've lived here forever and there have always been accidents with bikes.

Remember rollerbladers and cyclists duking it out on the Lakefront? Some MAJOR injuries...and deaths occurred.

Are deaths on the rise and I am unaware?

Even one is too many, I'm just curious about what is going on this spring.

Best,
K
Agatha

UK

#525 Jun 12, 2008
This happened to me last year. Well not exactly but I was riding down Lincoln Ave on my way to Lincoln Park I was riding with a neon green shirt on and in the bike lane and some woman opened her car door on me.

There is no way to predict this. I could never have avoided it. I was really lucky and just fractured my finger and got some cuts and bruises.

Even tehn I was told by police that it was illegal to open car door in traffic, the driver is technically suppose to slid over to the sidewalk and exit.

Dont blame the rider. I went to school with Clint at U of I in graphic design and he was in now way at fault.

Im in London now where the drivers are much more aware of us riders and the riders oo are more cautious. Chicago should take a hint and invest in cemented off bike lanes.

My thought are with you Miceli family
Delivery Guy

United States

#526 Jun 12, 2008
Kara wrote:
<quoted text>
it just looked like a big crate of tomatoes. just awful. ; (
(Delivery Guy...look what you have me thinking about! Boo!)
Oh great...you had to mention tomatoes, didn't ya?

The sickness, the smell...the effects of salmonella. I think I'm gonna puke.

Thanks a lot Kara!
Bob

Hinsdale, IL

#527 Jun 12, 2008
Mock26 wrote:
Cyclists are just as prone to not being aware of their surroundings as are drivers.
that's completely ludicrous. cyclists by necessity are aware of everything around them - besides the cars, the pedestrians, we anticipate and feel every tiny bump in the road, have to avoid every shard of glass on the street, react to the wind direction and intensity of the sun.

most importantly, cyclists have 360 degree stereo sound (barring the goofs who wear headphones, but it's not even close to a majority) around us, and our sightlines aren't blocked by

that last point isn't me exaggerating, anyone who has ever driven a convertible knows how different it is to have a 360 degree connection with the outdoors, there's a reason why the "blind spot" is such a problem for drivers.
Bob

Hinsdale, IL

#528 Jun 12, 2008
David Hillman wrote:
This is the attitude that gets bikers killed. "Nothing we do is rude, and cars should yield to us everywhere." If drivers adopted that attitude wholesale, it'd fix the problem, because in a couple weeks, we wouldn't have anymore bikers.
Bikers have the same rights, and responsibilities. That means obeying traffic laws, and even, occasionally, yielding, even if it means your commute is slower. Welcome to the real world.
I think you are seriously misguided if you think your mingling of motorcycle law and bicycles would stand up in court.

Go here to see EXACTLY what the State of Illinois tells bicyclists to do:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments...

I really don't much care for obnoxious cyclists either, but I've been biking in Chicago for 25 years +, and driving for 20 - and far and away the bigger problem is obnoxious motorists, for IMO the no-brainer reason that to accelerate in a car all you have to do is hit the pedal, it's a lot more difficult and energy-intensive to ride a bike like a jerk (which is not to say plenty of cyclists aren't jerks, because they are).
Bob

Hinsdale, IL

#529 Jun 12, 2008
And to be even-handed, these are the rules for cyclists in plain English, I love the common sense line about stop signs.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments...

How can you get respect on the road?
¥ Stop at red lights.
¥ Yield to other vehicles at stop signs.
¥ Signal before turning or changing lanes.
¥ When stopped, don't block crosswalks.
¥ When passing other bikers, call out on your left
or on your right.

“Witch King of Angmar”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#530 Jun 12, 2008
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
that's completely ludicrous. cyclists by necessity are aware of everything around them - besides the cars, the pedestrians, we anticipate and feel every tiny bump in the road, have to avoid every shard of glass on the street, react to the wind direction and intensity of the sun.
most importantly, cyclists have 360 degree stereo sound (barring the goofs who wear headphones, but it's not even close to a majority) around us, and our sightlines aren't blocked by
that last point isn't me exaggerating, anyone who has ever driven a convertible knows how different it is to have a 360 degree connection with the outdoors, there's a reason why the "blind spot" is such a problem for drivers.
No, it is not ludicrous. What is ludicrous is the assumption that because someone gets on a bike that they are somehow a better person or are superior to drivers. Cyclists, just like drivers, are human, and amongst cyclists you will find the full spectrum of different types of people. Cycling does not make a person better or even more aware. Sure, the smart cyclists do become more aware, but I'd bet that those people would also be smart drivers, too.
Mock26

Edwardsburg, MI

#531 Jun 12, 2008
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I really don't much care for obnoxious cyclists either, but I've been biking in Chicago for 25 years +, and driving for 20 - and far and away the bigger problem is obnoxious motorists, for IMO the no-brainer reason that to accelerate in a car all you have to do is hit the pedal, it's a lot more difficult and energy-intensive to ride a bike like a jerk (which is not to say plenty of cyclists aren't jerks, because they are).
It is not a lot more difficult and energy-intensive to ride a bike like a jerk. That is true only for those who want to ride a bike like a fast jerk. It takes virtually no effort to maintain your speed and blow through a stop sign. It takes virtually no extra effort to ride your bike the wrong way down a one way street as it does to ride the correct direction. It takes virtually no extra effort to ride on the sidewalk in a business district. It takes virtually no effort for two cyclists to ride side by side down the street. It takes virtually no extra effort to be on a critical mass ride. It takes virtually no extra effort to ride with headphones or while talking on a cell phone. It is extremely easy for cyclists to be jerks while they are riding.
Bob

Hinsdale, IL

#532 Jun 12, 2008
Mock26 wrote:
<quoted text> No, it is not ludicrous. What is ludicrous is the assumption that because someone gets on a bike that they are somehow a better person or are superior to drivers. Cyclists, just like drivers, are human, and amongst cyclists you will find the full spectrum of different types of people. Cycling does not make a person better or even more aware. Sure, the smart cyclists do become more aware, but I'd bet that those people would also be smart drivers, too.
Nice straw man, but I didn't say cyclists are better people, simply that they are more connected to their surroundings.

In a car you are physically blocked off due to your roof, your floor, your car doors, and basically, every part of your view except for the windows.

Like I said, drive in a convertible for a while, then go back to normal car, you'll see the difference fast.
Bob

Hinsdale, IL

#533 Jun 12, 2008
Mock26 wrote:
<quoted text> It is not a lot more difficult and energy-intensive to ride a bike like a jerk. That is true only for those who want to ride a bike like a fast jerk. It takes virtually no effort to maintain your speed and blow through a stop sign. It takes virtually no extra effort to ride your bike the wrong way down a one way street as it does to ride the correct direction. It takes virtually no extra effort to ride on the sidewalk in a business district. It takes virtually no effort for two cyclists to ride side by side down the street. It takes virtually no extra effort to be on a critical mass ride. It takes virtually no extra effort to ride with headphones or while talking on a cell phone. It is extremely easy for cyclists to be jerks while they are riding.
Number one, riding a bike is more work than riding in a car. That goes without saying.

Number two, I have never defended (and never will) people who ride on the sidewalk and in general are rude to people around them.

But a rude cyclist can't cause nearly as much damage as a rude driver, and at the end of the day that is what the issue is, safety.
misspent youth

United States

#534 Jun 12, 2008
Kara wrote:
<quoted text>
that made me absolutely sick, thanks so much!
how inappropriate!
the video was awesome!! thank you delivery guy. all of you cyclist's should watch this video..lmao
David Hillman

Hinsdale, IL

#536 Jun 12, 2008
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are seriously misguided if you think your mingling of motorcycle law and bicycles would stand up in court.
There are precise laws for what cars, trucks, pedestrians, and even mopeds must do... yet you think bicycles are exempt from laws?

It is there in black and white; bicycles have all the rights and responsibilities of motorized traffic. They are not vehicles, but they have all the same rights and responsibilities. There cannot be much dispute about this, unless you are just being willfully ignorant.

Show me where it says "none of these laws apply to bikes". Good luck.

(625 ILCS 5/11&#8209;1502)(from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11&#8209;1502)
Sec. 11&#8209;1502. Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles. Every person riding a bicycle upon a highway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this Code, except as to special regulations in this Article XV and except as to those provisions of this Code which by their nature can have no application.
(Source: P.A. 82&#8209;132.)

And, by the way, if you aren't signaling your turns, you're breaking the law, too.

(625 ILCS 5/11&#8209;1511)(from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11&#8209;1511)
Sec. 11&#8209;1511. Turn and stop signals.(a) Except as provided in this Section, a person riding a bicycle shall comply with Section 11&#8209;804.
(b) A signal of intention to turn right or left when required shall be given during not less than the last 100 feet traveled by the bicycle before turning, and shall be given while the bicycle is stopped waiting to turn. A signal by hand and arm need not be given continuously if the hand is needed in the control or operation of the bicycle.
(Source: P.A. 82&#8209;132.)
- http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.as...

One more time...

Sec. 11&#8209;1502. Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles.
Mark

Warrenville, IL

#537 Jun 13, 2008
This type of tragedy is why many cyclists refuse to ever ride in the "Door Zone". Careless motorists can not open there doors into our path if we are 5 feet away.
city dude

United States

#538 Jun 14, 2008
Mark wrote:
This type of tragedy is why many cyclists refuse to ever ride in the "Door Zone". Careless motorists can not open there doors into our path if we are 5 feet away.
You're right about us "careless motorists" we could "care less" about cyclists because in spite of how jam-packed and dangerous Chicago's streets are, these jerkwads still take their lives into their hands by riding a bike on streets filled with motorized vehicles!!

Hey, you want to give up your auto -- fine, but that doesn't mean that you automatically get support for choosing a very dangerous transportation alternative.

Ride the bus or the train, or take a taxi, but placing your fragile flesh and bone in the path of huge motorized vehicles is beyond stupid -- it's a DEATH WISH.
Umm - ok

Chicago, IL

#539 Jun 15, 2008
ACCOUNTABILITY wrote:
The City of Chicago has to realize that bike riding, although it's recreational and healthy, it's also a big hazard that leads to past AND recent tragedies.
With all the bike riders out there, the City is passing up on a ton of NEW REVENUE.
Many bike riders are getting away with this cowboy mentality that "showing" the drivers that they're the boss on the street---that way of thinking is a hazard to themselves, a hazard to pedestrians and a hazard to drivers.
A bike rider's days of a "free ride/no accountability" must end.
Bike riders must be held accountable and be required to learn the rules of the road which will lead them to obtain/purchase a bicycle license, purchase mandatory bicycle safety insurance, purchase a mandatory bicycle State-issued license plate, State-issued annual sticker and City of Chicago sticker.
Safety equipment such as a helmet, a fluorescent vest , safety gloves, and blinking red lights for night riding must be mandatory.
All bicyclists should carry mandatory insurance. Why? Because I've and many others have personally witnessed bike riders cause accidents and nobody can stop them from taking off and getting away with it.
Bike riders must be held accountable and the only way to get bike riders to even up the playing field is to have them pay for this privilege.
The City has spent a lot of time creating bike lanes for bike riders and has got nothing in return.
Accountability: I've seen bikers run into people who are standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross the street, and there goes the bike rider as people are helping the injured person up off the ground.
All bike riders must be required to road testing in order to obtain a bike license; wear fluorescent vests, helmets, safety gloves, and red blinking light for night riding; carry a bike rider license; display a State-issued license plate & identifying plate #, and annual City sticker on their bike and have State-issued vehicle identification stickers because a bike is a vehicle.
A license to ride the bike. Insurance. State-issued license plate w/identifying plate # and annual sticker. City vehicle ID stickers. Mandatory proper equipment--helmet & vest. All this should be mandatory. And the City and State will receive the proper revenue.
The City can raise use this revenue and get the necessary funds through this licensing/sticker/insurance revenue to start up a City department and build safer bike lanes.
I'm a bike rider, too, and I expect to be held accountable just as any other bike rider should. We are not big kids out there joy-riding to work, we are adults and many bike riders I've seen do not act like adults. Getting all these bike riders on the same track as car drivers should even up the field of traffic for all of us.
Licensing and the whole 9 yards I mentioned above will show that the City means business and is devoted to accountability for everybody.
Now, about those cabs.....
In addition, all SUV drivers should have to pay a tax for ownership unless it can be proven a necessity. Furthermore a tax should be in place for all vehicles entering the downtown area which are not delivering goods.
Gas Taxes should be on par with those in Europe in order to discourage useless driving. Our transit system is one of the best in the country if you don't want to ride a bike ride public transit.
All manor of distractions while driving should be treated as felonies. I.E. eating, cell phone use, downloading ringtones, watching GPS or DVD instead of the road.
All drivers should go through mandatory bicycle awareness training and do so everytime the law changes. A certificate or sticker on the license must be in place or a fine be imposed.
Drivers should be retested every five years when their license expires.
And so on and so forth. I hope you see how silly your argument is.
BikingForNookie

Edwardsburg, MI

#541 Jun 17, 2008
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice straw man, but I didn't say cyclists are better people, simply that they are more connected to their surroundings.
In a car you are physically blocked off due to your roof, your floor, your car doors, and basically, every part of your view except for the windows.
Like I said, drive in a convertible for a while, then go back to normal car, you'll see the difference fast.
Actually, motorists because they are driving such large vehicles with an inherently higher potentional for causing more damage than a bicycle are more in touch with their surroundings.

Since: Sep 07

Chicago

#542 Jun 19, 2008
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
You dope. Like anyone who lacks basic debating skills, you miss a few links in the chain. You presume that, because someone gets on a bike, they are suddenly aware. Why not presume that, because someone gets in a car, they are, by necessity, acutely aware of their surroundings, their limitations, their obligation, the danger they pose to those not in cars, etc.? Because it's not convenient to your position. I routinely see bikers assume cars will stop for them, ride the wrong way down one way streets, ride wearing headphones (how connected is that?), and otherwise not exercising due care. Bikers are no more connected or aware than drivers, just more exposed and vulnerable.
KRY

United States

#543 Jun 24, 2008
I think bicucle riders need to take just as much responsibility as drivers. Why is always drivers fault and bike riders are saints??? They are NOT! That rider got what he deserved. Poor driver who has to pay for nothing.
Vince McManon

United States

#544 Jun 24, 2008
KRY wrote:
I think bicucle riders need to take just as much responsibility as drivers. Why is always drivers fault and bike riders are saints??? They are NOT! That rider got what he deserved. Poor driver who has to pay for nothing.
UMMMM did you read the story?

Have you ever ridden a bike when a car door opens in front of you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Near North Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Step inside - and back in time - at new Wicker ... Nov 30 chad hatten 3 1
News Thousands march in Chicago to protest Trump's e... Nov 13 Not so proud Amer... 26
News Number of cranes at work in Chicago hits 8-year... Nov 8 former democrat 1
News Chicago Sets Record for Cranes in the Sky Nov 8 former democrat 1
News CPS reverses decision about PARCC exam Nov '16 MichaelNorway 4
News Chicago reportedly on pace to see more than 730... Nov '16 !!! 2
News Chicago Just Had Its Deadliest Weekend Of The Year Oct '16 !!! 3

Near North Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Near North Mortgages