Bicyclist dies from injuries; driver ...

Bicyclist dies from injuries; driver cited

There are 400 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 10, 2008, titled Bicyclist dies from injuries; driver cited. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A bicyclist was killed Monday night when he ran into the open door of a sport-utility vehicle door on Chicago's Near North Side and was thrown into the path of oncoming traffic, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
Jerry D

Marcus Hook, PA

#1 Jun 10, 2008
My sympathies go out to the families of the fatally-injured bikers, but I have two questions: how many of these bikers were riding fixed-gear bikes with no brakes, and how many were wearing helmets?

Since: Nov 07

Chicago, IL

#3 Jun 10, 2008
Since when did LaSalle Have a bike lane?
Wells St is the one with the bike lane.
Granted the drivers should have looked first and then opened the door, but the biker should have been in a bike lane.
pat

United States

#4 Jun 10, 2008
drivers watchout for bikes, bicyclists always wear helmuts especially with so many drivers still talking on non-hands-free cell phones.(though the article didn't say whether a helmut was used and it might not have helped in this case).

sad story.
rudym

United States

#5 Jun 10, 2008
All it takes is a little bit of planning to make a safe bicycle city for bicyclists to get safely to every place in town.

Make selected streets become bicycle streets. Post maximum car speed limits of 15 MPH and only allow local resident car traffic to travel one block to park on bicycle streets. In other words, do not allow though car traffic on bicycle streets. Put up bicycle crossing yield signs to caution cars approaching bicycle streets.

Start with one street in every direction that leads to downtown area, parks, and swimming pools. Watch how bicycle traffic will increase in use once it becomes safe. Aim to do this approximately every eight blocks in every direction, and bingo, we instantly have accomplished a first step for a safe cross-town bicycle city. Residents living on bicycle streets will love it because a bicycle street will result into reduced noise and polluted car traffic speeding down their street and be more aware of bicyclists.
Edward

Sapulpa, OK

#6 Jun 10, 2008
The idiot opening the door probably had an iPod in one ear and cellphone in the other. People need to wake up and be aware of their surroundings.
Todd

Sapulpa, OK

#7 Jun 10, 2008
A bicycle lane is not needed to ride a bike down a street so that point doesn't matter. The bike rider was following the rules, and the person opening the door is at fault because he wasn't paying attention to anything but him/her.
Huh

Chicago, IL

#8 Jun 10, 2008
Bikes should be allowed on sidewalks.
next

Lafayette, IN

#9 Jun 10, 2008
i agree with reader1... wells is the closest north/south street there that has a bike lane. lasalle is a tough, busy street to be on compared to the much calmer wells street one block over.

also like jerry's questions... was it a fixed gear bike, did the cyclist wear a helmet.

these items should be in all the stories. there should be a focus on cycling safety, not just a focus on driver carelessness.
Typical White Person

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Jun 10, 2008
Todd wrote:
A bicycle lane is not needed to ride a bike down a street so that point doesn't matter. The bike rider was following the rules, and the person opening the door is at fault because he wasn't paying attention to anything but him/her.
Thank God we got the blame thing figured out. Is the dead cyclist back now?
Walker

Chicago, IL

#12 Jun 10, 2008
The cyclist was wearing a helmet. I was walking up LaSalle about 40 minutes after the tragic event, and saw the helmet on the street. A helmet can't save you when getting run over by a 2000+ lb monstrosity.

Very, very sad. Motorists need to open their eyes once in a while, and remember that they are driving a very deadly weapon.
next

Lafayette, IN

#19 Jun 10, 2008
pedestrian rights... i get what you're saying and i understand how you can see it's "anti-bike". though, i would like to state that i am a cyclist and i am appalled at the amount that other cyclist ignore traffic rules and put others at risk... motorists, pedestrians and other cyclists. just because there is an easy access to a stretch of pavement doesn't necessarily give the cyclist the right of way to use it. i can't count how many times in the past few days i've noticed other cyclists riding their bikes on sidewalks putting pedestrians in jeopardy.

there are roads that have designated bike paths that are far safer. cyclists have options for safer routes.

unless we were all there we don't know what lead up to the event. i'm just stating that there are safer ways to commute on a bike in this city.
John Patrick

Evanston, IL

#22 Jun 10, 2008
How sad! My heart goes out to this young person's broken-hearted family.
I fear Chicago is just too congested, just too busy and has too many bad drivers to ever be a "bike friendly" city. If you have a friend or relative who wants to bike on city streets here, discourage him or her. It's too dangerous.

Since: Feb 08

Oak Lawn, IL

#24 Jun 10, 2008
rudym wrote:
All it takes is a little bit of planning to make a safe bicycle city for bicyclists to get safely to every place in town.
Make selected streets become bicycle streets. Post maximum car speed limits of 15 MPH and only allow local resident car traffic to travel one block to park on bicycle streets. In other words, do not allow though car traffic on bicycle streets. Put up bicycle crossing yield signs to caution cars approaching bicycle streets.
Start with one street in every direction that leads to downtown area, parks, and swimming pools. Watch how bicycle traffic will increase in use once it becomes safe. Aim to do this approximately every eight blocks in every direction, and bingo, we instantly have accomplished a first step for a safe cross-town bicycle city. Residents living on bicycle streets will love it because a bicycle street will result into reduced noise and polluted car traffic speeding down their street and be more aware of bicyclists.
\

Rudym: These are really, really good ideas, you should sbmit them to the proper agency for consideration.

Most important though, condolences to the family and friends of this young man. His death appears to be a senseless accident when a few seconds of time whould have changed the outcome. I am so sorry for your loss.
Joeschmo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#28 Jun 10, 2008
Face it, this was an accident! Stop the blame, an unfortunate incident happened to two people. As a biker myself, I find it appalling that my fellow cyclers disobey red lights, change lanes erradictly and yes, go OVER the speed limit! Same goes for automobile drivers as well.

We aren't perfect, accidents and mistakes happen. Can't we all just get along?
Kevin

Berwyn, IL

#29 Jun 10, 2008
I used to cycle for leisure and fun but today it's too dangerous. The are nuts on bicycles and in cars. Nobody follows rules and you can't anticipate anyones next move. I had many close calls until I finally just put the bike away. You don't win in a bike v. car/truck accident.

I hope that driver had good insurance because it's going to cost him dearly.
Deb

Chicago, IL

#31 Jun 10, 2008
I am not so sure how I feel on this one. I think biker riders need to take an extra-hand in watching out for themselves since they are very difficult to see and its very difficult to judge what the piece of equipment itself might do if it hits a rock or a pothole or something. I don't think the guy who opened the door woke up that morning with the intent to hurt let alone kill this young man. I do think that people need to start taking reponsibility for themself as well. My sympathies to the young man's family and my thoughts go to the individual who inadvertently opened the car door.
Joe

San Diego, CA

#32 Jun 10, 2008
Most of these comments are totally inappropriate. There should be no comments for fools to comment when we are talking about a dead person.
booksdates

United States

#34 Jun 10, 2008
The fines for these crazed drivers down here must be stepped up. I bike downtown and throughout the 1st and 12th Districts, have a bright orange helmet, vest and gloves, front and back blinking lights and STILL have to dodge cars. I obey the rules of the road, however drivers believe they can cut in front of you, drive in bike only lanes and literally either don't see you or don't care even if they do. I couldn't be more obvious with all of the bright wear, however just last Saturday early AM I was almost hit by three cars not yielding or paying attention.
JRP

United States

#36 Jun 10, 2008
"bike lanes" are a significant part of the problem. They put the biker right in the path of opening doors.

This scenario of getting doored then thrown into the path of a passing car is so obvious.

We really need to separate cars and bikes as much as possible. Separated by cement wall bike lanes are what is called for. I am not saying this is practical everywhere, but there are plenty of places this can be done without losing much parking.

I would certainly take the long route to use these if available.

This is a great biking city 9 months out of the year, but these symbolic bike lanes just do not go far enough.
Witness

Chicago, IL

#38 Jun 10, 2008
My condolences to Clinton Miceli's family and friends.

For the record, Clinton was wearing a helmet. Although, there may be multiple forces that led to this tragic accident, we need to work together to help create a safe environment for all - bicyclists, pedestrians, etc.

Witnessing this tragedy should remind all of us how quickly things can go wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Near North Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A Chicago family hurt by sanctuary city politics Jul 29 VeganTiger 2
News Family-friendly Chicago Jul 22 reality is a crutch 1
News Woman dies after falling from Streeterville hig... Jul 18 reality is a crutch 1
News ACLU: Chicago leads NYC in use of stop-and-frisk Mar '15 rahm Jizzbucket e... 4
News Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... (Dec '14) Dec '14 obunglerApenis 20
News Chicago needs its Bucket Boys (Sep '14) Sep '14 EatnTurds 2
News Emanuel, Lewis clash on legalizing, taxing mari... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Obama Bad 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Near North Mortgages