Logan Square teen meets violent death...

Logan Square teen meets violent death after fighting for his life

There are 39 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 10, 2008, titled Logan Square teen meets violent death after fighting for his life. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Ignacio Montano had been fighting for his life since he was a young boy. Diagnosed with hepatitis B when he was 3 years old, he battled illness after illness, only to be fatally shot Monday night as he returned ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jake

Virginia Beach, VA

#33 Jun 11, 2008
Who cares, he was only a beaner.
Sir Peter Percival

United States

#34 Jun 11, 2008
Why is everyone shocked? It is no different now in Chicago than it is in Tijuana, Cuidad Juarez or Nuevo Laredo. That is where the new wave of immigration is coming from and so is the attitude and culture.

What is the solution? Seems society has tried everything... school intervention, rallies against violence, gun control, preaching against violence from the pulpit and everything has failed. All we are left with is an ever increasing body count.

Do individuals take responsiblity for their own actions anymore?
kim

Waymart, PA

#35 Jun 11, 2008
mom_of_7 wrote:
<quoted text>is this true?
Yes it is true, I remember reading that.
Jake

Chicago, IL

#36 Jun 11, 2008
From the Commerce City CO police blotter:

Parents fight over child's gang affiliation

Officers responded to Hollywood Video on a disturbance inside the store at 5:24 p.m. April 5. A man was harassing his girlfriend who was an employee in the store. The man was threatening the woman and during the disturbance he knocked over several displays and a computer. When the woman was asked why the man was upset she said they have a child together and as they were involved in different gangs they were arguing over which gang affiliation the child should "claim". The man was located at his home and arrested without incident.
BEBA

Greenwood, IN

#37 Jun 11, 2008
<bIG>R.I.P CURY WE MISS U BROOO
vanessa

United States

#38 Jun 11, 2008
this sucks alot. i knew ignacio. he was a good person.
i hope he rests in peace =[
neighbor

Plainfield, IL

#39 Jun 11, 2008
I am a neighbor of the individuals who live at the residence that this young man and his friend were shot in front of. It depresses me that so many of these comments are ignorant. Really, who thinks that ANY Latino culture is steeped in violence? And who among you truly knows if these individuals were gang affiliated? You don't. You also don't appear to know much about why and how gangs continue to exist. I have met many gang members over the years in my work, and you will find that most value life as much as you do. If you think that your neighborhood is free of gangs, think again. Only part of the solution includes places for kids to go to do something fun and productive, instead of ending up in a local park, or what have you, where the gang members linger. Organizations like Ceasefire have made dramatic inroads and decreases in statistics through working WITH gang members to make positive changes in neighborhoods. If you were to drive by the current memorial, you would find 10-20 people honoring this child's memory. I hope that the second individual survives so that he can potentially help in seeking the shooter. RIP Ignacio.
vanessa

Melrose Park, IL

#40 Jun 11, 2008
Jake wrote:
who are you to lable people!? and in a racist way??
if a white person would be shot would then you would care???
a person is who they are inside not by what race they are.
DO NOT DARE TALK ABOUT OTHER RACES BEFORE YOU CHECK YOURSELF. IGNACIO WAS STILL A HUMAN BEING.
Jack

Naperville, IL

#41 Jun 11, 2008
"you will find that most value life as much as you do"

Yeah, that's why they do drive-bys where pregnant women and children are killed, because they value life so much!! Silly us!
rosco

Plainfield, IL

#42 Jun 12, 2008
neighbor wrote:
I am a neighbor of the individuals who live at the residence that this young man and his friend were shot in front of. It depresses me that so many of these comments are ignorant. Really, who thinks that ANY Latino culture is steeped in violence? And who among you truly knows if these individuals were gang affiliated? You don't. You also don't appear to know much about why and how gangs continue to exist. I have met many gang members over the years in my work, and you will find that most value life as much as you do. If you think that your neighborhood is free of gangs, think again. Only part of the solution includes places for kids to go to do something fun and productive, instead of ending up in a local park, or what have you, where the gang members linger. Organizations like Ceasefire have made dramatic inroads and decreases in statistics through working WITH gang members to make positive changes in neighborhoods. If you were to drive by the current memorial, you would find 10-20 people honoring this child's memory. I hope that the second individual survives so that he can potentially help in seeking the shooter. RIP Ignacio.
The only ones out there were his homey's. Throwing up the gang signs. They already forgot about the fool that got smoked at Springfield and George last month.
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

San Francisco, CA

#43 Jun 12, 2008
Start snitching.

Please.
tbx

Chicago, IL

#44 Jun 14, 2008
I have only lived in Chicago for 10 years, but gun violence is pointless. It is either you kill someone or you die sometimes. You mainly use guns in wars, which is not the worst, but gun violence in neighborhoods is pointless because then you are fighting for nothing.
rosco

Plainfield, IL

#45 Jun 15, 2008
tbx wrote:
I have only lived in Chicago for 10 years, but gun violence is pointless. It is either you kill someone or you die sometimes. You mainly use guns in wars, which is not the worst, but gun violence in neighborhoods is pointless because then you are fighting for nothing.
Ask those gun nuts like "Highlander" or "Gun show on the net" about their gun rights over public safety. The easy access of guns makes these crimes happen. but the country bumpkins believe they need these weapons in case of boogiemen....
JOEL

Tijuana, Mexico

#46 Jul 8, 2008
I GREW UP IN THIS AREA AND ITS A JUNGLE.LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO THE INDIANS.ITS MODERN GENECIDE.ITS A BUSINESS FOR SOME.GHETTOS ARE WHERE RICH JEWS DONT INVEST AND THATS THE TRUTH.IN CALIFORNIA 3 STRIKES LOCKED UP MOST CRIMINALS AND SCARED STRAIGHT THOSE THAT THOUGHT TWICE.GAME OVER.
JOEL

Tijuana, Mexico

#47 Jul 8, 2008
WEST SIDE
OVER HERE PEOPLE ARE MORE CIVILIZED.
AND THATS THE TRUTH
ONLY THE MOTHERS FEEL THE PAIN OF WAR
Dsgustd

Chicago, IL

#48 Jul 16, 2008
rosco wrote:
This is just another dead gangbanger. Most of these so-called students are just gangbangers. So no great loss to the community. Play the thuglife get shot. Get out the beer bottles and candles.
Wow! Is that really how you think? That "dead gangbanger" is someones son, brother, cousin, nephew, grandson, friend. The fact that he is a gangmember doesn't make him less of a person or human being. We do not know the circumstances of his short life and what might have led him to join a gang. Also, in this particular case, we do not whether or not Ignacio Montano was a gangmember. You shouldn't assume that every young person in the street is in a gang. "Get out the beer bottles and candles"?, that is so disgusting. Your parents might have done a good job keeping you off the streets but they did a terrible job teaching you how NOT to be ignorant.
Dsgustd

Chicago, IL

#49 Jul 16, 2008
Jake wrote:
Your parents did a great job Jake! NNNNOOOTTTT!!!!
Hood

Woodridge, IL

#50 Jul 16, 2008
Dsgustd wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! Is that really how you think? That "dead gangbanger" is someones son, brother, cousin, nephew, grandson, friend. The fact that he is a gangmember doesn't make him less of a person or human being. We do not know the circumstances of his short life and what might have led him to join a gang. Also, in this particular case, we do not whether or not Ignacio Montano was a gangmember. You shouldn't assume that every young person in the street is in a gang. "Get out the beer bottles and candles"?, that is so disgusting. Your parents might have done a good job keeping you off the streets but they did a terrible job teaching you how NOT to be ignorant.
Good luck trying to get threw to these ingnorant people.I really AGREE with youre comment.Not everybody is perfect.May GOD be with the family at this hard time! R.I.P
Stephanie

Hanover Park, IL

#51 May 18, 2009
Jake wrote:
How could you just call a person a beaner when he is dead. Does race really matter to you. The only thing that matters was how he was on the inside, not the outside. You shouldn't judge people you don't even know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Logan Square Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FOUND KEYS- Hamlin/Fullerton Nov '17 Mel94 1
Documentary on the Child Molestation at JPUSA Sep '17 Jail Jpusa Leaders 2
News No, Chicagoans Aren't Actually Rallying For The... Aug '17 wrong 1
so how is lincoln park at night now? Aug '17 thomas real one 1
News C-section scars can be psychological too: 'What... Jun '17 Keyanna 2
News For decades, pan pizza has defined Chicago. Now... (Dec '07) May '17 Dcasey 76
News What Makes Chicago's Dating Scene Distinct? (Feb '17) Feb '17 lol 1

Logan Square Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Logan Square Mortgages