Logan Square teen meets violent death...

Logan Square teen meets violent death after fighting for his life

There are 39 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 10, 2008, titled Logan Square teen meets violent death after fighting for his life. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Ignacio Montano had been fighting for his life since he was a young boy. Diagnosed with hepatitis B when he was 3 years old, he battled illness after illness, only to be fatally shot Monday night as he returned ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rey

United States

#1 Jun 10, 2008
Why is a 16 year old hanging out at night in the city's streets?

Why aren't parents taking charge of their kids and keeping them at home late at night?

What a waste of a human life.

Pray for these people.
PaulPR

Evanston, IL

#3 Jun 10, 2008
This is getting old. Parents keep your teens off the streets late at night unless you are with them.
Big Mac

Hempstead, NY

#4 Jun 10, 2008
To the family: I am so sorry for your loss; God Bless
Marks Friend

Chicago, IL

#5 Jun 10, 2008
mark wrote:
1 comment so far huh. and there are 300 angry motorists bitching about the bikers on the other death article today...
wtf people
I'll be the 3rd one to comment on this senseless act. Do we need new laws? Or enforce the old ones? Not sure what its going to take to sharply reduce the violence amongst school-aged kids. For me personally, its just one big head scratcher. I wish someone (President, Governor, Mayor or Parents) could find some resolution!
Dan

Lehigh Acres, FL

#7 Jun 10, 2008
I live on Western between Fullerton and Armitage and have heard multiple gunshots from differing directions three times in the past week. Chicago Police, parents, aldermen, residents, teachers, and neighbors need to act now before Chicago descends into the chaos that proliferated through the 80's and early 90's. People seem to grow more callous towards lives taken violently and carelessly before their time. So many things are going wrong in this country, and specifically this city. The general outlook and priorities seem so blind, self-serving, uninformed, ignorant, short-sighted and cruel. Something needs to change, and it's not legislation, or new police beats. People need to decide to think about their actions and the impact they want to make.
kim

United States

#8 Jun 10, 2008
Another sad story, God plese keep her in your arms during her time of grieving.
Are you kidding me

Downers Grove, IL

#9 Jun 10, 2008
Rey wrote:
Why aren't parents taking charge of their kids and keeping them at home late at night?
Pray for these people.
Dear Dingbats:
He was pronounced dead at the hospital at 11 p.m. He was probably shot around 9:30. When you were sixteen were you home at 9 30 every day? Stop being ignorant. Just because kids live in a bad part of the city doesn't mean they are bad.
However, being ignorant and drawing assumptions does make YOU bad. But hey, keep living in your bubble thinking these people are getting what they deserve. That way, when you fall upon hard times, I can use the same excuse to look the other way when you beg for help.
Jake

Chicago, IL

#10 Jun 10, 2008
There are fewer comments because this has come to be expected in gang-infested neighborhoods. When it happens constantly, it ceases to be news.
MAKE ME LAUGH

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jun 10, 2008
Are you kidding me wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Dingbats:
He was pronounced dead at the hospital at 11 p.m. He was probably shot around 9:30. When you were sixteen were you home at 9 30 every day? Stop being ignorant. Just because kids live in a bad part of the city doesn't mean they are bad.
However, being ignorant and drawing assumptions does make YOU bad. But hey, keep living in your bubble thinking these people are getting what they deserve. That way, when you fall upon hard times, I can use the same excuse to look the other way when you beg for help.
And just because a grieving mother says her son was a good kid doesn't mean he WAS a good kid.
Either way a 16 year-old is a child and should be home by dark...period.
mom_of_7

United States

#13 Jun 10, 2008
Rey wrote:
Pray for these people.
the mom said he was coming home from the store. he was with a grown up.
mom_of_7

United States

#14 Jun 10, 2008
knowitall wrote:
strange how every teen shot in logan square is getting these huge articles. lets look into these "kids" backgrounds before doing these articles.
no one has the right to take a life. we do not know the background and it should not matter. the killer had no right to kill. and your comment is pathetic. these stories need to be in the spotlight. so our leaders can act. so parents can act. and chicago can wake up and see we are in a crisis.....as for the rest of the ignorant comments. would it have been better if he was killed with his parents around? gang-banger or not our hearts should be broken for such a tragic incident and end to a young life.

“Rolling Stone”

Since: May 08

Plainfield, IL

#15 Jun 10, 2008
Dan wrote:
I live on Western between Fullerton and Armitage and have heard multiple gunshots from differing directions three times in the past week. Chicago Police, parents, aldermen, residents, teachers, and neighbors need to act now before Chicago descends into the chaos that proliferated through the 80's and early 90's. People seem to grow more callous towards lives taken violently and carelessly before their time. So many things are going wrong in this country, and specifically this city. The general outlook and priorities seem so blind, self-serving, uninformed, ignorant, short-sighted and cruel. Something needs to change, and it's not legislation, or new police beats. People need to decide to think about their actions and the impact they want to make.
Don't waste your breath, I mean it's these thugs who run the street all night looking for trouble - The parents are fed up and want nothing to do with them, so what else do they have to do? Yes, I could think of a million things, but killing and maiming seem to be their preference. I grew up in Bucktown (Western & Arm) Went to Chase Elementary and things were bad then, but fortunately it wasn't guns at that time. Unfortunately it's a sign of the times.
Just letting you know

Chicago, IL

#16 Jun 10, 2008
How would his mom even know if he was a good kid and not a gang banger. She didn't speak english according to the article and probably had very little knowledge or control over what her kid was doing on a day to day basis. Its unfortnuate that the kid died, but he chose to be in a gang and that is stuff that happens when you are in a gang. Quit blaming everyone else and start blaming the parents who need to take control over their kids. There is only so much the city, the police, and the rest of society can do. IF you can't raise your children then don't have them.
rosco

Chicago, IL

#22 Jun 10, 2008
This is just another dead gangbanger. Most of these so-called students are just gangbangers. So no great loss to the community. Play the thuglife get shot. Get out the beer bottles and candles.
question

Chicago, IL

#26 Jun 10, 2008
What are teachers expected to do about this? Teachers are not the parents of these children.
Dan wrote:
Mic

Van Nuys, CA

#27 Jun 10, 2008
As long as mothers continue to deny that their kids are in gangs this crap will go on and on and on and on...
mz r

Jersey City, NJ

#28 Jun 10, 2008
I don't care if he was a bad or good kid none of our kids need to be shot up just walking to the store or any where else. What the upper heads need to do is band all fire weapons. Weapons should be only use for the police. I live on the westside of chicago our kids just walk the streets at night which is still bad but one thing i can say is that we don't kill our kids.
mz r

Jersey City, NJ

#29 Jun 10, 2008
yes it does start from home. Know we have the parents that had their chidern at a young age that can not raise the childern.
Jack

Skokie, IL

#31 Jun 10, 2008
Often the parents are gangbangers too. Didn't you see the story about the parents in CA who were fighting over which gang Junior would join?
mom_of_7

United States

#32 Jun 11, 2008
Jack wrote:
Often the parents are gangbangers too. Didn't you see the story about the parents in CA who were fighting over which gang Junior would join?
is this true?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Logan Square Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A Chicago family hurt by sanctuary city politics Wed VeganTiger 2
News Rahm endorsement fails to mention gang problem Feb '15 This_illTeachEm 3
News How to survive Chicago's latest arctic blast (Jan '15) Jan '15 Sweetness 3
News This weekend in Chicago: Gospel music, art and ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 reality is a crutch 1
News 5 Dead, 19 Wounded in Weekend Chicago Violence (Jun '14) Jun '14 Always Smile 2
News 1 dead, 11 hurt in shootings across Chicago sin... (Jun '14) Jun '14 reality is a crutch 1
News 3 dead among 22 wounded in shootings Friday, ea... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Tracker 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Logan Square Mortgages