Patient dies during root canal

Patient dies during root canal

There are 31 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 18, 2007, titled Patient dies during root canal. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Taking a break from her busy job as principal at Brentano Math and Science Academy, Georgette Watson would wander into the preschool room next door to her office.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sadSobStory

Ancaster, Canada

#1 Dec 18, 2007
Sounds like quackery at work.
Get Real

Cary, IL

#2 Dec 18, 2007
I'm going to hold off on judging the dentists as guilty until all the facts are in and the autopsy completed.
Mr T

Owensboro, KY

#4 Dec 19, 2007
I pitty the fool who takes pleasure at someone else's misfortune.
Bill

United States

#5 Dec 19, 2007
Sad. There is no such thing as "simple" surgery. Surgery is by its very nature dangerous. And life is invariably fatal.
hmo

San Mateo, CA

#6 Dec 19, 2007
Sedation for a root canal? Preposterous! Why is this not questioned. I had one two weeks ago and all that was needed was local anesthetic (Novocain) and I have even had one with no anesthesia before (though I don't recommend that it is painful).

The concept of dentists sedating people at all should be heavily questioned.
dravimanwatkar- india

Chandigarh, India

#7 Dec 19, 2007
may mrs. watson's soul live in peace in heaven.i pray to god.
informed supporter

Lake Zurich, IL

#8 Dec 19, 2007
that's been my dentist's office for nearly 20 years. i've had a root canal, and a bridge put in by the drs., and without sedation, it would never have happened, as i have extremely sensitive teeth. thank God they're in practice. in fact, in the prior 30 years, i've never found dentists who are as compassionate. i've recommended these drs to many, many friends over the years and would again today, despite this tragic loss.

these are top quality doctors, caring, kind, thorough and competent. the fact that one person, over the drs' entire careers of caring for patients, had a heart attack is no reason to trash them ala the media.

having been there - i know.
JKY

Wood Dale, IL

#9 Dec 19, 2007
I cannot believe they'd sedate her for a root canal. it doesnt matter if it was successful the first time. they should've never sedated her in the first place. It's a ROOT CANAL!
Douglas Smith

United States

#10 Dec 19, 2007
I have been a patient of Dr. Joe Feldman for almost 20 years. I have absolute confidence in him and Dr. Lawrence Feldman. They are thoroughly professional and compassionate. To those who question the need for anesthesia, please consider that there are patients like me who are highly anxious and need anesthesia in order to face dental procedures.
Rob S

La Grange, IL

#12 Dec 19, 2007
My thoughts and prayers go out to her family. My one hope is that this incident will help people remember a few important things.
1. Make sure you have had a thourough check-up, and are healthy enough to tolerate general anesthesia.
2. KNOW WHO YOU ARE GOING TO. If it is a new dctor/dentist, do an extensive search into their history. Get all of the information you can before allowing any procedure.
3. If it is a family doctor/dentist, stay up to date on their practice. LET THEM KNOW YOU DO THIS.
staci

Cedar Rapids, IA

#13 Dec 19, 2007
informed supporter wrote:
that's been my dentist's office for nearly 20 years. i've had a root canal, and a bridge put in by the drs., and without sedation, it would never have happened, as i have extremely sensitive teeth. thank God they're in practice. in fact, in the prior 30 years, i've never found dentists who are as compassionate. i've recommended these drs to many, many friends over the years and would again today, despite this tragic loss.
these are top quality doctors, caring, kind, thorough and competent. the fact that one person, over the drs' entire careers of caring for patients, had a heart attack is no reason to trash them ala the media.
having been there - i know.
This has also been my dentist for a long time, and I too have the utmost confidence in the work these two dentists performed on me. This is an incredibly unfortunate incident, and I hope that the two Dr. Feldmans can come out of this without their reputations being too sullied.
ohyeah

Chesterfield, MO

#14 Dec 19, 2007
The risk of sedation for a dental procedure far outweighs its benefits. Sedation slows down heart rate immensely, affects brain function, etc., why take the chance? The only reason to have it is to avoid anxiety. I could see if you're having open heart surgery, then you have no choice. But unless you're having all your teeth yanked out and dental implants put in, just suck it up and endure the root canal procedure. And this is coming from a person who has a bad gag reflex!
Another patient

United States

#15 Dec 19, 2007
I, too, have seen the Drs. Feldman for more than 20 years. I, too, receive sedation for everything -- even the deep cleaning.
Dental sensitivity and dental phobia are very real. This office handles both with the utmost compassion and care.
My sympathy goes out to the dentists and their office staff, as well as to the family of the late patient.
insider

United States

#16 Dec 19, 2007
I feel terrible for Ms. Watson and her family. I feel even worse for the, asst. principal at Brentano, if there is an investigation of the financial records and slurpee machines at Brentano.
Allen Nichols

Chicago, IL

#17 Dec 20, 2007
I was under IV sedation at The Drs. Feldman just yesterday. Two days after this unfortunate incident. How come no one is concerned about how they feel.My God can you imagine?
I have been going to them for more than 10 years and nothing will change that.Thoughts and prayers should be going out to both the Watsons and The Feldmans.
People seem to be confused as to the difference between general and IV sedation.
Although I'm no Doctor, I strongly feel Ms. Watson would have had a heart attack regardless. Unfortunately it was in the chair of these excellent and competent dentists.Let it also be known this is the 1st and only time this has happened to them in 41 years.

Most sincerly, Allen Nichols
BRENTANO GRADUATE OF 1998

Chicago, IL

#18 Dec 20, 2007
JUST WANT TO GV MY CONDOLENCES OUT TO THE FAMILY OF MS. WATSON. IT WAS HORRIBLE THING AND THAT DENTAL OFFICE SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR THEIR MISTAKES. I PERSONALLY NEW MS. WATSON WHEN I ATTENDED BRENTANO AND KNOW THAT SHE WAS A WONDERFUL WOMAN ALWAYS FULL OF JOY AND HAPPINESS AND WILL CONTINUE HER JOY AND HAPPINESS WITH GOD! GOD BLESS YOU MS. WATSON!
Allen Nichols

Chicago, IL

#19 Dec 20, 2007
BRENTANO GRADUATE OF 1998 wrote:
JUST WANT TO GV MY CONDOLENCES OUT TO THE FAMILY OF MS. WATSON. IT WAS HORRIBLE THING AND THAT DENTAL OFFICE SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR THEIR MISTAKES. I PERSONALLY NEW MS. WATSON WHEN I ATTENDED BRENTANO AND KNOW THAT SHE WAS A WONDERFUL WOMAN ALWAYS FULL OF JOY AND HAPPINESS AND WILL CONTINUE HER JOY AND HAPPINESS WITH GOD! GOD BLESS YOU MS. WATSON!
Come on, You make it sound like they killed her.What if she was at the beauty shop? Get real!
BRENTANO GRADUATE OF 1998

Chicago, IL

#20 Dec 20, 2007
IM JUST GOING TO IGNORE THAT IGNORANT COMMENT! IF U SPENT SO MUCH TIME READING INTO HER STORY YOU WOULD HAVE READ THAT ROOT CANALS DO NOT REQUIRE SEDATIONS! HOWEVER WHEN IT ALL COMES DOWN TO IT THERES ONLY ONE PERSON WHO CAN TAKE CARE OF THIS SITUATION AND HE WILL!
Allen Nichols

Woodridge, IL

#21 Dec 20, 2007
BRENTANO GRADUATE OF 1998 wrote:
IM JUST GOING TO IGNORE THAT IGNORANT COMMENT! IF U SPENT SO MUCH TIME READING INTO HER STORY YOU WOULD HAVE READ THAT ROOT CANALS DO NOT REQUIRE SEDATIONS! HOWEVER WHEN IT ALL COMES DOWN TO IT THERES ONLY ONE PERSON WHO CAN TAKE CARE OF THIS SITUATION AND HE WILL!
I never meant to imply IV sedation was required. However it is an option that the Feldmans offer. No one forced Ms, Watson to be sedated. I can assure you she was their patient because she wanted IV sedation. My appoinment with then yesterday was for nothing more than a deep cleaning and I was sedated.
I in no way want to take away from the tradegdy of this unfortunate death. However; It had nothing to do with the Drs. Feldman
Cecily

Chicago, IL

#22 Dec 20, 2007
insider wrote:
I feel terrible for Ms. Watson and her family. I feel even worse for the, asst. principal at Brentano, if there is an investigation of the financial records and slurpee machines at Brentano.
What???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bike law enforcement in Chicago: uneven and unfair Wed vinate66 1
News Fernwood man held without bail for Lakeview car... Mar 20 lol 1
News Murder suspect waives bail hearing (Aug '07) Mar 5 Depooty 268
News Hundreds rally, march for transgender rights in... Feb '17 actorvet 5
News An LGBT Tour Of The Great Lakes (Aug '15) Feb '17 Faith 9
News Chicago area pastor asks The President to put s... Feb '17 lol 2
News What Makes Chicago's Dating Scene Distinct? Feb '17 lol 1

Lakeview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lakeview Mortgages