Asbestos forces high-rise evacuation

Asbestos forces high-rise evacuation

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 21, 2007, titled Asbestos forces high-rise evacuation. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Tenants of a high-rise residential building in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood will have to find somewhere else to live for the next few weeks, after asbestos was found while workers were performing rehab work ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

anonMom

Newburyport, MA

#1 Sep 21, 2007
"Tenants will be allowed to retrieve possessions" is where the article ends, but it's not where things end for the people who's homes were contaminated.

So, people can keep their furniture, clothes, etc. that have asbestos fibers in them? Oh, that's so wonderful ... they can continue to breathe the asbestos indefinitely .... hmmmm, is this fair to contaminate every tenant's property and then just abandon responsibility for everyone having to live like that? Seems to me their possessions should be replaced if the building got so damaged they had to leave their homes.

Maybe someone at the Trib can write about this aspect in a follow up article?
renee

United States

#2 Sep 21, 2007
hope tenants know they have remedies for replacement housing. interesting how city missed the problem during every annual inspection.
KES

North Liberty, IN

#3 Sep 21, 2007
Hopefully the state then is going to help tenants find a place to stay for the time or pay for a hotel since this isn't any of their fault.
don

Evanston, IL

#4 Sep 21, 2007
Asbestos fibres are an interestingf story. the article does not state just how wide spread the contamination is, whether it was confined to one area or if it was spread throughout the building.

Management is taking the prudent step of employing the most conservative action for the protection of the residents. It would be wise for management to require that everything that is removed from the building be wiped down by qualified abatement workers before it's allowed to leave.

Either that or hope for a very windy day so that when the posessions get to the street all of the fibres are blown off.

Since: Sep 07

Chicago, IL

#5 Sep 21, 2007
Every single building built in this city prior to 1970 probably has asbestos something in it -- insulation, floor tiles, duct work. You probably have it within 35 feet of you at this very moment. It's not usually a problem unless it's airborn. But even then -- as in this case, how far can you go to eliminate the danger all together? If it's floating around in the building it's probably on people's clothes, carpet in the hallway, HVAC system, etc.
JJR

Chicago, IL

#6 Sep 21, 2007
Asbestos is not harmful until it is disturbed. In most buildings, it isn't easily accesible to occupants (pipes, ductwork, tile etc.) I love how everyone's first thought is the City or the State are somehow responsible and should pay people for their inconvenience. That is the responsibility of the property owner.

I really wish the Tribune's online articles weren't written like TV news reports. If they were more in-depth like a newspaper should be, people would be less inclined to make silly comments like "interesting how the city missed the problem during annual inspections".
Do the Right Thing

United States

#7 Sep 21, 2007
It is the responsibility of the property owner/developer to meet state and city requirements. It's still unclear as to what exactly occured, but I would suggest that the developer/property owner and management company hold a meeting and Q&A for all the residents, and the sooner the better. Residents have a right to know what is going on. Even if there are no firm answers and the developer likely won't know all the answers, he should appear in front of the residents and let them know what he is doing. Very little information is being provided at the moment, only rumors.
Close

Chicago, IL

#8 Sep 21, 2007
Owners had air quality samples done ASAP while state officals were debating what to do.

Immeadiate samples showed negative airborn resluts.

However, because the State did not authorize the samples they were not considered rellevant.

All tennants were ordered out of building even though initial samples were negative. If officials are so concerned why did they not do air samples upon entering the building.

The system of governing these matters are not in the right hands.

Looks like another tax payer expense paid weekend for the State workers flexing uneducated muscle.
Who Cares

Springfield, IL

#9 Sep 25, 2007
I can't believe I wasted 5 minutes reading what a bunch of goof balls think about a building evacuation. Hey anonMom, why don't you start a relief fund for new furniture for these people. Gimme a break.

“Mission to spread knowledge”

San Diego, California

#10 Sep 27, 2007
I'm a mesothelomia forum addict now that I my father recently past away. You can pretty much say, that I am on a mission to get helpful resources out on the forums to help those who were in the same situation as my family and I.

Getting mesothelioma and asbestos information from the likes of Jakarta, Bangkok, and any other international country is a joke.

I am thankful to find the right information about how asbestos exposure affected my dad, in addition to the first hand enduring experience prior to my father succombing. At http://www.personalinjuryfyi.com , we were able to find the right mesothelioma lawyer and legal team for my mother and family.

I know this may sound like a plug, but I know my All-American fatehr would have wanted me to do this for all those affected by mesothelioma and asbestos exposure.

Please visit http://www.personalinjuryfyi.com if you or someone you know is in need of legal assistance or to learn more about the effects of mesothelioma.

“Mission to spread knowledge”

San Diego, California

#11 Sep 27, 2007
Oh by the way, this is how I found out about http://www.personalinjuryfyi.com , while browsing YouTube:

If you're in need of help, I hope this helps out!
former 2930 resident

Kissimmee, FL

#12 Oct 5, 2007
I am a former resident who tried for over a year to inform the city this new management team and owner was cutting corners when it came to the rehab. Now, not even Kass Management and Kroupa can try and wiggle around the fact that this building has finally been evacuated for asbestos and the City is not allowing residents to return for at least one month! I feel sorry for those people who did not hear my warnings and actually bought a condo in this building. I hope Kroupa and Kass management are going through hell! Hey Kroupa, looks like I got the last laugh!!!!! Maybe if Kass management would have been a little nicer during this whole rehab, I would not have had to bring the city inspectors to the building. Hopefully Kroupa goes bankrupt on this one!!
Vic

Paris, France

#13 Oct 22, 2007
For further information about Mesothelioma cancer and Asbestos just join us here http://www.mesothelioma-base.com/
Henry

Dublin, Ireland

#15 Mar 20, 2008
Does anybody know when the occupants were allowed back in the building?
Mike Crill

Basin, MT

#16 Apr 23, 2008
For a ref.on educating eachother to the truth about something that kills you and your entire family,Libby Mt is where most of this deadly Tremolite asbestos that's killing millions today came from.What has happened to us was done to us knowingly.In Libby,9+years of superfund,over $150 million spent/wasted and not one human being has been protected from this deadly exposure.NONE of the homes have been cleaned inside,just the attics and yards.The soil used to replace the contaminated yards is soil that is more contaminated then anything they have taken out!!! And to top this off,since 2001,7 years now,the EPA and others have continued to sell Libby as a safe place to live and raise a family.THIS IS A DEADLY LIE.Since 1999,over 200 people/families have moved to Libby Mt.being told Libby is safe.Those folks will suffer and die as I am and thousands of other folks from Libby.I tell all who will listen to stay away from Libby Mt as Libby is not safe to anything that breathes.All of you have to do things for yourselve in order to protect the most important thing their is,those we leave behind,our children.Look up Libby Mike Crill as a learning tool for the truth since this Govt is nothing but lies.Go find a good lawyer and sue those who knowingly exposed you to something that is going to kill all of you.My Email is :[email protected] to chat for truth.Dr.Selkoff states quote:One asbestos fiber in the lungs leads to cancer".There is NO SAFE exposure limit to this deadly asbestos fiber.Ask why you are not being told this and the truth.again,sue these people.They know damn well what they have done to you.Now they are downplaying this exposure,same deadly lies Libby Mt is being told today.This is so criminal and crazy...
Abdul Sumar

Richmond, Canada

#17 Apr 23, 2008
Asbestos fibers are not dangerous until they are disturbed into the open air. It also depends on what type of asbestos fibers are present.

Types of Asbestos

There are 2 main types of Asbestos fibers i) Serpentine fibers ii) Amphibole fibers

i) Serpentine fibers are curly and elastic. An example of this type of fiber is Chrysotile.

ii) Amphibole asbestos fibers are present in many different types of building materials including:

- Ceiling or floor tiles
- Insulation materials
- Cement pipes
Source: www.researchmesotheliomacancer.com

Amphibole fibers are more likely to be dispersed into the air and if anyone inhales it, he's in trouble!
Frank Caswell

Chicago, IL

#18 May 21, 2008
I thought I might have it last year when I was having a hard time breathing after renovating my mother's house. Here are some useful sites I used when researching..

http://www.maacenter.org/
http://yourmesotheliomadaily.blogspot.com/
http://www.mesotheliomaweb.org/
Jacob

Chicago, IL

#19 May 22, 2008
My friend lived in that building
Mike Crill

Basin, MT

#20 May 31, 2008
Frank Caswell wrote:
I thought I might have it last year when I was having a hard time breathing after renovating my mother's house. Here are some useful sites I used when researching..
http://www.maacenter.org/
http://yourmesotheliomadaily.blogspot.com/
http://www.mesotheliomaweb.org/
Thanks for the info Frank....
Mike Crill

Basin, MT

#21 Jun 25, 2008
anonMom wrote:
"Tenants will be allowed to retrieve possessions" is where the article ends, but it's not where things end for the people who's homes were contaminated.
So, people can keep their furniture, clothes, etc. that have asbestos fibers in them? Oh, that's so wonderful ... they can continue to breathe the asbestos indefinitely .... hmmmm, is this fair to contaminate every tenant's property and then just abandon responsibility for everyone having to live like that? Seems to me their possessions should be replaced if the building got so damaged they had to leave their homes.
Maybe someone at the Trib can write about this aspect in a follow up article?
Everything is contaminated with deadly asbestos fibers.Leave it all in the house,get out with only your cloths,take off asap,not in another home but out side to not expose others.Call a lawyer,tell them you are homeless and that you have been exposed to something that kills you.One asbestos fiber inhaled into the lungs,LEADS to cancer...Someone says safe you say lier.....get it in writing...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Changes Aimed at Rooting Out Racism Within ... May 1 chicongo 13
News Prince's lasting impact on Chicago, and other news Apr 22 Tami 2
News My Chicago Apr 4 Go Blue Forever 3
News 3 dead, 11 wounded in shootings Thursday across... Apr '16 bozo 2
News The 16 Most Expensive Homes for Sale in Chicago Mar '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Rauner sends 'dead fish' gift to inject humor i... (Oct '15) Nov '15 Rotten To The Core 3
News An LGBT Tour Of The Great Lakes (Aug '15) Sep '15 taste the rainbow 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lakeview Mortgages