Ald. Thomas Tunney suspends aide in p...

Ald. Thomas Tunney suspends aide in parking meter controversy

There are 61 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 11, 2009, titled Ald. Thomas Tunney suspends aide in parking meter controversy. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Ald. Thomas Tunney said Monday he has indefinitely suspended an aide who displayed a homemade "44th Ward Official Business" placard on the dashboard of his car and left it at an expired meter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mike In Chicago

Berwyn, IL

#2 May 11, 2009
Tunney is an idiot voting for the increase to begin with. I hope the 44th Warders vote that hypocrite out of office -- remember when he voted FOR the driving-and-talking-on-the-cel l phone ban? Then he gets ticketed. I didn't see HIM on a suspension without pay for HIS hypocrisy.

And this aide is a tool, too.

Is Tunney one of the aldermen who initially voted for Stroger's tax hike and then changed his vote?

Chicago politics.
Growler

Redford, MI

#3 May 11, 2009
"Suspended until further notice"? Not half enought! BTW, who or what is a "Zodak Yonan" unless he's Chicago's answer to a Wookie Bar or something from Star Wars? In taking over and harboring this bozo from the previous, crooked Ald. Bernie Hansen, Ald. Tunney has shown himself to be little but another go along politico. If Yonan isn't sacked and banned forever, with Tunney leading the charge, they they had better both be sacked and banned together.
Lakeview Neighbor

Chicago, IL

#5 May 11, 2009
Picking on an elderly man? Nice work Tribune.
Dean

United States

#6 May 11, 2009
Is that suspension with pay or a bonus? Be serious, a suspension.....but alderman it was only a mistake I made my own parkiing pass. I'm telling ya, print em and sell em on Ebay!
IB-prafane

United States

#7 May 11, 2009
Nice manipulation of language: "Flap" is not nearly as accurate as "fraud," which is what it really was. This is the impunity that government acts with, on all levels. Welcome to Illinois/Chicago, where corruption reigns.
hussein

Tinley Park, IL

#8 May 11, 2009
make him pay 25 cents for every 8 minutes he parked, that's a severe punishment we all can relate to.
Mark Winshel

Walnut Creek, CA

#9 May 11, 2009
Zodak Yonan showed absolute and total contempt for the law, the facts, the truth, the taxpayers, and society. Therefore rather than suspending or firing him, I think he should be promoted to mayor or governor since he obviously has the qualifications.
ejhickey

Berwyn, IL

#10 May 11, 2009
Don't lose focus of the larger issue - the corrupt parking meter deal that started this whole controversy. How can we rescind this deal and get the meters back for Chicago? If we have to repay the $1.2 billion to Morgan Stanley, perhaps we can spread out the payments over 75 years.
Jake

Chicago, IL

#11 May 11, 2009
this is bad enough like cops blowing through the red light without sirens and never getting red light tickets. oh wait, cops never get tickets for blowing through the red light in this city. Welcome to the usual arrogance.
City Guy

United States

#12 May 11, 2009
Poor Zodak. Now he must return to home country sadly with nothing but the riches he grifted off middle class Americans. How could a caring God let this happen?
vote out aldermen

United States

#13 May 11, 2009
Good bye Looney Tunney! I am voting against you and have encouraged my friends and many business customers to get rid of their aldermen for this crazy rate hike. Remember people, that LAZ will be doubling rates again! Tom Tunney voted for this private contractor without reading the contract. The aldermen lied and told us that the city needed the money from this deal because Chicago was broke. The truth is the money is in the bank for the OLYMPICS! I swear to God Mayor Daley is next to go!
Ted

Chicago, IL

#14 May 12, 2009
this parking meter tax hike is the worst public sell out vote by these crazy lunatic aldermens. we must vote them out and punish them for making us pay too much just parkn for an hour or two.

they sold us out to LAZ. now we must either fight the recind the meter hike rule or vote all these evil aldermens. they would not give chicago cabbies a dollar increase on meter but they would sell out the whole public's parking meter.
jfp

Chicago, IL

#16 May 12, 2009
Why didn't the meter people ticket the car anyway?
ralph

Elmhurst, IL

#17 May 12, 2009
He should be beaten, jailed and made to eat Exlax
BES

Chicago, IL

#18 May 12, 2009
"Why didn't the meter people ticket the car anyway?"
That "44th Ward Official Business" placard was a form of intimidation. Certainly your question is actually alarming. Why did meter maids treat that sign any differently than they would treat any other phony attempt to carve out special treatment to elevate themselves as above the law?
The real problem is there are probably thousands of public employees that do not think they have to follow the same laws as private citizens. I have at least 6 CTA employees that drive to the UIC Halsted Blue Line stop, park there cars there, throw their orange CTA vests on the dashboard, and then board the CTA train to get to work.
Their vehicles are not ticketed by the Chicago Police. Meter maids never ticket them. Even the Transit Police ignore the illegally parked vehicles.
These problems may have a remedy, but the bigger problem is that too many public employees think the system that pays them is a system they can game for a more equitable stake. They are stealing from taxpayers though and should be held accountable for their violations of the law.
Ignore Red Light Tickets

Melrose Park, IL

#19 May 12, 2009
What does it mean to suspend a 'contract' employee?

So what? This week he doesn't work his 10 hours; next week, or starting next month, he works a few 40 hour weeks to make it up?

Would be nice to see his 1099 from last year vs this year's...think there'll be any substantive difference? Maybe a 'bonus' to make up for the heat from the spotlight?

And is suspension the best Tunney can do? I mean, isn't it against the law to steal services (parking fraudulently without paying at a working meter)? How about misuse, with intent to defraud, of the city seal? Nice the way the laws only apply to "others".
DC Chicago

Prairie Village, KS

#20 May 12, 2009
jfp wrote:
Why didn't the meter people ticket the car anyway?
Because Zodak Yonan gave the meter people their jobs...simple as that.
Citizen

Plano, TX

#21 May 12, 2009
The determination of guilt/innocence and assigment of penalty is not the role of an Alderman. If laws were broken, the proper channels should be utilized. Any status on the January-09 DUI / obstruction charges of Alderperson Dixon?
Brucey Bruce

Chicago, IL

#22 May 12, 2009
The real story here is how despite the huge holes in City budget, the old time politically connected elderly are kept on payroles because of who they knew 30-40 years ago. This guy is 84 years old and really no help to the Alderman, but Tunney promised Hansen he would keep Yonan on as long as he wanted.
Mike In Chicago

Berwyn, IL

#23 May 12, 2009
Tom Tunney is as corrupt as the rest of them. Thanks for the taxes, Tom. And the meters, too. By the way, how much do YOU make a year?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News C-section scars can be psychological too: 'What... Jun '17 Keyanna 2
News Target shoots for retail comeback, and Chicago ... Jun '17 be4 Target eh 1
News For decades, pan pizza has defined Chicago. Now... (Dec '07) May '17 Dcasey 76
News Morning Spin: Preckwinkle says she'll run for r... May '17 Yes But 2
News An LGBT Tour Of The Great Lakes (Aug '15) Apr '17 watching livonia 12
News Fernwood man held without bail for Lakeview car... Mar '17 lol 1
News Hundreds rally, march for transgender rights in... Feb '17 actorvet 4

Lakeview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lakeview Mortgages