City to step up enforcement of bike laws

For many bicyclists on the streets of Chicago, coming upon a red light or a stop sign is not necessarily a signal to halt. Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Rabid

Chicago, IL

#212 Sep 10, 2008
Winterbiker, do you think a panel of "serious" bike riders (riders who make a living on a bike) should sit down and work up a set of "common sense" rules of the road that would end much of the confusion?
Winterbiker

Springfield, IL

#213 Sep 10, 2008
Rabid wrote:
Winterbiker, do you think a panel of "serious" bike riders (riders who make a living on a bike) should sit down and work up a set of "common sense" rules of the road that would end much of the confusion?
Interesting thought, but the only bikers (I know of) who actually make their living on bikes are messengers. Very knowledgable and skilled bunch, but they have such a poor safety image (largely, I believe, unjustified) that I wonder if the public would accept their opinions as valid.
I would like, however, to see more input from bikers -- especially commuters -- taken by lawmakers in refining the vehicle code.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#214 Sep 11, 2008
Rediculous !

How about getting input from 12 year old female pedalists ? There is no way you can impose rules designed for motor propelled vehicles on people. Pedalists are all kinds of people. Some are ten years old, some are eighty years old. Some can't speak english, some can't see or hear well. Some can't drive.

People always want more rules (CONTROL)! We have too many rules and laws. And most can't follow them and many more don't know them. Most of you would barely pass a rules of the road test.

Some of the worst motorists want bikes banned from the roadway, but the bikes are not the problem, they are.

Try Iran where there are no rules of the road; they're not as neccessary as you believe.
Rabid

Chicago, IL

#215 Sep 11, 2008
Tory II wrote:
Rediculous !
How about getting input from 12 year old female pedalists ? There is no way you can impose rules designed for motor propelled vehicles on people. Pedalists are all kinds of people. Some are ten years old, some are eighty years old. Some can't speak english, some can't see or hear well. Some can't drive.
People always want more rules (CONTROL)! We have too many rules and laws. And most can't follow them and many more don't know them. Most of you would barely pass a rules of the road test.
Some of the worst motorists want bikes banned from the roadway, but the bikes are not the problem, they are.
Try Iran where there are no rules of the road; they're not as neccessary as you believe.
So, I guess you need to teach your 12 year old girl how to respect others rights while she rides down the sidewalks, because when she runs into someone or some body's dog takes a chunk out of her it will be YOUR FAULT!
Winterbiker

Springfield, IL

#216 Sep 11, 2008
Tory II wrote:
Rediculous !
Ridiculous???? Tory, I think we agree more than you seem to think.

If you're responding to my last post, I was suggesting modification, clarification, and more consistent enforcement of the existing rules, not adding more of them.

Funny you should mention Iran, btw. I bike-commuted for a year in nearby Bahrain and (as you point out) there really were no rules. Moving through traffic there was remarkably similar to what I see here, except drivers were faster, and generally more polite.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#217 Sep 11, 2008
Rabid wrote:
<quoted text>
So, I guess you need to teach your 12 year old girl how to respect others rights while she rides down the sidewalks, because when she runs into someone or some body's dog takes a chunk out of her it will be YOUR FAULT!
Only a few parents would allow a 12 year-old female to bike ride alone, but we need to tolerate any innocent pedalists of any age. Motor vehicles are deadly weapons (bicycles are not.)

I drive a car and a heavy pickup truck AND I enjoy riding my bicycle. I don't enjoy it when a pedalist follows all the rules of the road and treats his or her bicycle as if it were a automobile. We don't need slow moving bicycles slowing motor traffic. There are plenty of space for both. Let the pedalist break some rules - it won't hurt anyone.

People on bikes should give plenty of clearance to pedestrians.
Rabid

Chicago, IL

#218 Sep 12, 2008
Tory II wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a few parents would allow a 12 year-old female to bike ride alone, but we need to tolerate any innocent pedalists of any age.

People on bikes should give plenty of clearance to pedestrians.
Key words: Innocent pedalists and clearance, in other words respect the rights of pedestrians.

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

#219 Sep 17, 2008
I have yet to see/hear of any enforcement of the rules. As someone who drives (rarely), cycles (nearly every day) and walks (all the time), I wish rules would be enforced. Even if a ticket isn't issued, just having those people who are breaking the laws and/or endangering others stopped and inconvenienced for a few minutes might be helpful. And, while drivers and cyclists are the most cited offenders, could someone please talk to all the early morning pedestrians downtown who think it's okay to wait their turn to cross in the street, often in the bike lane (or even beyond) who then get pissy when cyclists go through green lights and come a little near them? There are *side*walks, people. As a cyclist, I do not use them. As a pedestrian, please *do* use them instead of standing in my path! Let's all be considerate of each other.
Rabid

Chicago, IL

#220 Sep 19, 2008
I saw an interesting problem the other night, two CPD on bicycles . . . No reflectors that I could see, one had a pulsing light on the front, other than that no visible means of warning to traffic approaching from the rear. Talk about safety issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How a Lost Dog from Wilmette Helped Another Fin... Nov '14 AnitaSwiss 1
A white, wealthy ward went to Rauner-and how th... Nov '14 reality is a crutch 1
Emanuel set to outline re-election agenda in fi... Oct '14 Le Jimbo 6
jimmy gouskos 18 years for con uptown and every... (Jul '12) Oct '14 Jimmy s Friend 4
Chicago parking: 44th Ward aide saved quarters ... (May '09) Oct '14 Ram 288
Open House Chicago 2014 Oct '14 Vicky varma 1
Chicago pedicabs face rough headwinds from City... Oct '14 BribekikeRahm 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lakeview People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lakeview News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lakeview

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]