City to step up enforcement of bike laws

For many bicyclists on the streets of Chicago, coming upon a red light or a stop sign is not necessarily a signal to halt. Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Jack Stephens

United States

#1 Aug 22, 2008
Its about time. Bicyclists are required to follow all traffic control devices, signal when turning, yield to pedestrians. These tickets should count against their driving record, causing an increase in their insurance rates as well.

Next up: enforce the SAME laws with the cab drivers!
dave

Falls Church, VA

#4 Aug 22, 2008
I ride my bike to work and I am glad the police will start enforcing these laws. bikers want to cars to "share the road" but bikers don't seem to want to "share the law." you will never be seen as an equal on the road until you start acting like an equal.
TJM

Noblesville, IN

#7 Aug 22, 2008
Its not all cut a dry. For example we live west of the river off Addison. To get to the east over the river there are two roads Addison or Irving. I always bike on the sidewalk when crossing the river on either bridge. There are no bike lanes and the bridges are very narrow for four lanes of fast moving traffic. Now I am considerate when I encounter pedestrians but no way am I going out in that traffic. I can easily get killed. At the reduced speed on the sidewalk I can guarantee you nobody will be seriously hurt at best. If the city wants me on the road there they can widen the bridge, make a dedicated bike lane or better yet make bike/pedestrian bridge . To the bridge or from I do take side streets.
JRP

United States

#8 Aug 22, 2008
Jack Stephens wrote:
Its about time. Bicyclists are required to follow all traffic control devices, signal when turning, yield to pedestrians. These tickets should count against their driving record, causing an increase in their insurance rates as well.
Next up: enforce the SAME laws with the cab drivers!
I agree with most of your comments, but next up should be all cars. I watch cars fly through stop signs all the time. I don't mean just rolling, I mean not even slowing down, and definitely not looking. Same goes for flying down alleys.

There is no comparison between the risk a bike poses than a car doing the same act. Bikes can stop faster, have less distractions so they are more likely to see problems, and if they do make contact are far less likely to seriously injure.
JRP

United States

#9 Aug 22, 2008
TJM wrote:
Its not all cut a dry. For example we live west of the river off Addison. To get to the east over the river there are two roads Addison or Irving. I always bike on the sidewalk when crossing the river on either bridge. There are no bike lanes and the bridges are very narrow for four lanes of fast moving traffic. Now I am considerate when I encounter pedestrians but no way am I going out in that traffic. I can easily get killed. At the reduced speed on the sidewalk I can guarantee you nobody will be seriously hurt at best. If the city wants me on the road there they can widen the bridge, make a dedicated bike lane or better yet make bike/pedestrian bridge . To the bridge or from I do take side streets.
I have to agree with you on the river crossings. I know the Addison bridge, it is narrow and scary. They should exempt those bridges for sidewalk riding, but require you to walk or go very slow.

also, as they rebuild bridges, they should make wider sidewalks for this purpose.
JayS

Crystal Lake, IL

#10 Aug 22, 2008
This is just another way to extort money out of people. They are scared that thy will see a drop in their traffic ticket racket. Daley is just broadening his racketeering scheme.
zoe moore

Skokie, IL

#11 Aug 22, 2008
It's about time!

As a pedestrian, I am so tired of dodging bike riders - on the sidewalks, in the crosswalks, and blowing red lights when I'm crossing on the green.

In traffic, I see them cut off cars and skirt between lanes. It's really hypocritical of them to cry danger when they are the ones putting themselves and others in harms way.

JAWilson

Manhattan, IL

#13 Aug 22, 2008
Face it. Its another revenue stream for the city. I think the fine should be $150 and driving school just like an automobile driver.
Amber

Skokie, IL

#14 Aug 22, 2008
8/22/08: Mark the date. The FIRST time I ever saw a bike rider actually stop at a stop sign!
John

Chicago, IL

#15 Aug 22, 2008
No bikes on sidewalks? Thats nuts, put them all on the sidewalk then i wont have to worry about Mr Cycley suddenly cutting infront of me and killing himself.
yochanan

South Bend, IN

#16 Aug 22, 2008
The Criminal wrote:
Good luck trying to get me to stop so I can be issued a freakin ticket for something this stupid. An if you do get me to stop, good luck attempting to get me to give up any sort of valid ID.
IN COOK CT. JAIL BUBBA GOING TO LOVE THOSE BIKE SHORTS. see how that works for you.
SOUTHSIDETOMMY

Defiance, MO

#17 Aug 22, 2008
It is easy to agree that some bike riders are unaware that they must follow the rules of the road. This includes not riding on the sidewalk, obeying traffic signals and surrendering the right of way to pedestrians. What happens when a bike rider is cited for a violation? What happens when a bike rider is involved in an accident? Should bike riders be made to carry a licence and show some type of liability. This is required for all bike messengers working in the central business district in Chicago. As the popularity of biking to work increases we will need to find better ways of dealing with accidents both with vehicles and pedestrians. Where do we park these vehicles, I'm sure the city officials have explored the possibility of paid bike parking to help pay off the city's deficet and finally being able to identify these bike riders that wll flee an accident scene bike accidents happen in the loop everyday Dedicated bike lanes are certainly a good idea, but we need to realy study this bike question as a public safety issue I know that the mayor did some studying of the transit system while in China. Mr Mayor did you get a chance to review the way they move bike traffic in Bejing?
Hank

United States

#18 Aug 22, 2008
Bicycle or not the "Rules of the Road" are the rules of the road.
They apply to everyone who uses them. As to the remark about too many stops and starts add to fatigue. Whait a darn minute isn't it why you are out on your bike in the first place? Is to get a workout! And the more fatigued you get the better the workout. Come on get real! Stop making excuses ride the CTA.
anon

Evanston, IL

#19 Aug 22, 2008
John wrote:
No bikes on sidewalks? Thats nuts, put them all on the sidewalk then i wont have to worry about Mr Cycley suddenly cutting infront of me and killing himself.
If, as a pedestrian, I encounter Mr. Cycley riding his bike on a sidewalk, I have the right of way whether he's in Chicago, or someplace where it is legal for him to ride on the sidewalk. He should know to keep right and yield to all pedestrians. In Chicago, I won't cut him any slack. If I see him coming, it's an even match.
noneoftheabove

Hammond, IN

#20 Aug 22, 2008
Instead of installing bicycle lanes, which should have been over the years, now this can be a source of revenue for the state. Pretty soon they'll require registering your bikes, having license plates on your bikes and of course, be there to issue tickets. It'll be quite a revenue generator.
Maybe we shouldn't allow anyone under 21 to ride a bicycle, since they aren't mature enough, according to our elected officials.

Since: Aug 08

Chicago IL

#21 Aug 22, 2008
JRP wrote:
<quoted text>
also, as they rebuild bridges, they should make wider sidewalks for this purpose.
Why, when the recently rebuilt the North Avenue bridge, didn't they include a bicycle lane?
Road Terror

United States

#22 Aug 22, 2008
No mention in this article of bicycle messengers. Do they get a pass? More than getting a ticket, many of these guys ought to be locked up. As any driver in the downtown area can tell you, bicycle messengers whip through traffic without regard for safety or common sense, let alone the law. I unnderstand that they must hustle to make any money, but someone needs to understand that we don't want to be involved in fatal accidents caused by these frequently irresponsible daredevils. When is something going to be done about this?
mrsmac

Rockford, IL

#23 Aug 22, 2008
As a pedestrian, I would much rather be faced with a cyclist on a sidewalk than some of the arrogant riders I encounter as a driver here in North Center. The thing that gets me the most is the look on a cyclist's face when he/she runs through a four way stop and I almost hit him/her. Like it's MY fault?

As for the poll, I sure would like to see where all those people are who say they obey traffic signs and signals. I'm on the streets daily, and I've yet to see a cyclist stop at a stop sign just because the sign is there.
Road Terror

United States

#24 Aug 22, 2008
TJM wrote:
Assuming you value your life, just to cross a narrrow bridge, why wouldn't you dismount and walk your bike across? When encountering an extremely hazardous situation, that's what I do, but only because I'd make a stupid-looking hood arnament.
Jimmy P - East Village

United States

#26 Aug 22, 2008
Simply put, the majority of bikers are idiots!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lakeview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 2 min LieutenantGov 4,053
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr The Troll Stopper 50,051
Group of thieves hit Bentley Gold Coast store 8 hr Go Blue Forever 2
Chicago: Urine Trouble: How Can the CTA Keep It... Mon DrinkinYourin 6
Chicago needs its Bucket Boys Mon EatnTurds 2
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Sep 27 Blwlgo 1,934
Emanuel, Lewis clash on legalizing, taxing mari... Sep 24 Obama Bad 1

Lakeview Jobs

Lakeview People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lakeview News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lakeview

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]