Police grapple for clues

Police grapple for clues

There are 100 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 26, 2008, titled Police grapple for clues. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

As heavy equipment tore wreckage from a CTA station Friday, police began scouring surveillance video to figure out why a semitrailer truck sped through a crowd of pedestrians and slammed into the station's ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Michigan City, IN

#91 Apr 27, 2008
Read The Article wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a good question--do people READ these articles before commenting?--and the answer is for the most part, NO.
Blame is what's on most minds around here.
Finger pointing blamers, they care nothing about the facts, they simply want to find someone to blame and get real mad at.
I don't get it, but that's what's going on here.
Do let the rest of us in on your secret: what kind of satisfaction do you get out of pointing fingers without knowing the whole story?
Share, please.
It's gotta be good, because so many of you do it.
no one is pointing fingers trying to find someone to blame its a fact that this guy was driving the truck so who are we pointing the finger at its not you so why say anything about it.
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Michigan City, IN

#92 Apr 27, 2008
Read The Article wrote:
<quoted text>
"Jail time is warranted."
Here we have another "assumed guilty" finger pointing blamer.
Is it righteousness you feel, now that you've found the driver guilty and sentenced him--without being privy to the facts?
Listen genius, this was a horrible tragedy all the way around--but like it or not, it could have been an accident that was not the fault of the driver.
You don't know.
You can't know.
And gee it would be pleasant if you'd hold your skewed opinions to yourself until you know the facts.
and it would be nice if you heal yours until the facts are known and it doesnt matter because im sure as well as others that if he had a stroke or heart attack or fell asleep then they would have kept him at the hospital. you feel no remorse because you didnt lose a loved one or no one you loved wasnt injuried...i think those who lost or know someone who was injuried should speak and a few others those that "use there common sense"
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Michigan City, IN

#93 Apr 27, 2008
Danny Ryan wrote:
I think the truck driver simply fell asleep.
If the brakes failed, he would have honked his horn to warn other drivers and pedestrians, and would at least tried to have swerved to hit the parking lot fence just west of the CTA station.
ok i could agree with that but how could he have fallen asleep so fast he had just exited the expressway a few minutes before this happened. if your tired pull over and sleep duh you cant sleep and drive at the same time.
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Michigan City, IN

#94 Apr 27, 2008
rncbs wrote:
It is obviously the CTA's fault. If they hadn't built that station right there, these people would not have been on an escalator waiting to get slaughtered. If the CTA would just run buses and trains on time, these people would have been elsewhere! I say fire management, lower fares, cut the capital budget, bust the unions, and sell their new building to pay for the eventual lawsuits!
no you cant blame the cta because thats just like saying dont put that light pole on the coner because a careless driver is going to run their car up the curb and knock the pole down, this was an act of careless driving..its simple.
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Michigan City, IN

#95 Apr 27, 2008
HarryTheGerman wrote:
I talked to some police officers this morning, and it appears he had a heart attack or stroke.
Had he been drunk or drugged up, he would have at least tried to stop, which he didn't. And its hard to believe he fell asleep after just navigating off the expressway.
did you really talk to police??? because i highly doubt they would give that info out to you
SOMEONE WHO CARES

Michigan City, IN

#96 Apr 27, 2008
Billy wrote:
withouts us trukers yous wooodn't be a gitten yer stuff. yall needs to jist be realaxin, is was probibly bad breaks or the likes, i be doubtin it was the guy woh was a drivin that rigs falt.
yea you need to go back to school
dozzfx

United States

#98 Apr 27, 2008
From reading all the account, here's a possible scenario. If he was seen leaning forward, there could have possibly been something under his brake pedal that prevented him from stopping. This has happened to many drivers.

Also,having driven down this ramp on several occasion in a semi, there's no way he could have been doing fifty without turning over unless he was using two lanes. Something I can't see during rush hour.
heavy metal trucker

Saint Louis, MO

#99 Apr 27, 2008
Illinois Driver wrote:
<quoted text>He was not a teamster. If he was he could have refused to drive if there were safety concerns. A non-teamster driver is subject to being fired and many times has to take equiptment that a teamster driver could refuse. The govt. does not protect them, they will be fired for "some other reason," but actually because they complain about the equiptment. That is not right, but that is the way it is.
I understand the benefits of being a teamster, and I may consider it in the future. At the present I am non union, but when I am doing my pre-trip, or if I encounter a breakdown en-route, my company will always authorize a repair to ensure that my equipment is safe to operate, and if the freight may be late they will look for other options or just reschedule the delivery. Many reputable companies in this nation have the same policy as mine. The fact is as you know that there are many renegade companies around who take bottom dollar, and pay bottom dollar and expect perfection from their drivers. Therefore they hire drivers who are mostly unhireable by other companies. It is my guess by looking at his physique that Don Wells would have had difficulty passing a physical with my company, so that leads me to speculation about this small Michigan outfit. If any other drivers have opinions about this I will come back to this forum to see. I am happy to hear that 14 of the 21 are out of the hospital today. My prayers continue to go out to the rest.
heavy metal trucker

Saint Louis, MO

#100 Apr 27, 2008
All in all, If I was ever involved in an accident that caused a fatality, I would hang up my keys and probably live with guilt the rest of my life, whether the accident was my fault or not. I am just trying to express to the public that most professional drivers feel this way and take every measure to maintain safe equipment and drive safely. I feel this accident was 100% preventable for whatever reason that caused it, and I am saddened that this will be another scar on the reputation of the professional driver.
iblamebicycles

Chicago, IL

#101 Apr 27, 2008
People please, it is obvious what happened here: one of those fixie-gear bicyclists in colorful spandex must have darted out in front of him and forced him to loose control. He had no other choice than to crash into the crowded station to avoid this speed demon.

Who's brilliant idea was it to place a train near an expressway, anyhow?
Illinois Driver

United States

#103 Apr 28, 2008
heavy metal trucker wrote:
<quoted text>
Many reputable companies in this nation have the same policy as mine. The fact is as you know that there are many renegade companies around who take bottom dollar, and pay bottom dollar and expect perfection from their drivers. Therefore they hire drivers who are mostly unhireable by other companies. It is my guess by looking at his physique that Don Wells would have had difficulty passing a physical with my company,
You are lucky to work for a good company. Don Wells didn't look well, he had just been in an accident, of course, and may have also been ill. The reason I know he was not a teamster was because he did not remain in the hospital BECAUSE he had no medical insurance. Someone mentioned bad intersection design which is true, that did not cause the accident, but putting a pedestrian escalator at the end of an exit ramp is very poor design. People are killed everyday by illegals driving without licenses or insurance, who then flee back to Mexico and never show up in court. Something should be done about it, too. I have seen these accidents shortly after they happened more then once, a whole family laying alongside the road covered with sheets! The only reason this accident made the news was it was a truck involved.
Midnightrider

Geneva, IL

#104 Apr 28, 2008
He might have been a new driver. A lot of people in Michigan are losing jobs. He might have been trained by one of those "puppy mill" truck driving schools that just give minimal training. He might have just picked up that trailer and then had something go wrong with his brakes. While an highly experienced driver would react by reflex to apply emergency braking and maneuvers, a new driver might have a few seconds of confusion if he is standing on the brake and not much braking occurs. That few seconds sometimes makes the difference between a close call and tragedy.
Midnightrider

Geneva, IL

#105 Apr 28, 2008
Illinois Driver wrote:
<quoted text>You are lucky to work for a good company. Don Wells didn't look well, he had just been in an accident, of course, and may have also been ill.
I saw him on TV. He looked distraught, horrified, and in shock. If I was driving and was in an accident where people are killed and maimed, I would feel that way no matter whose fault it was.
Midnightrider

Geneva, IL

#106 Apr 28, 2008
iblamebicycles wrote:
Who's brilliant idea was it to place a train near an expressway, anyhow?
Chicago is loaded with bad itersections and low bridges that were put in when trucks were limited to 27 feet in the 1920s. There were no expressways then, the expressways were retro-fitted in, thus high speed expressways exit into extremly dangerous situations. The train station may have been there first.
Midnightrider

Geneva, IL

#107 Apr 28, 2008
SOMEONE WHO CARES wrote:
<quoted text>
dont put that light pole on the coner because a careless driver is going to run their car up the curb and knock the pole down
In Chicago, the old steel poles do not "knock down", and usually don't even bend. If a passenger car hits it, the people who would normally survive are killed as the car splits in 2. Those poles should be replaced with modern break away aluminum poles.
rosco

Elk Grove Village, IL

#108 Apr 28, 2008
They are gonna make some cash money off the city in their lawsuits. Its the city's fault. They should have made that station safer.
fastway

Folkston, GA

#109 Apr 29, 2008
it was a act of terror.. now get over it
Be Careful

Lahaska, PA

#110 Apr 29, 2008
Illinois Driver wrote:
<quoted text>You are lucky to work for a good company. Don Wells didn't look well, he had just been in an accident, of course, and may have also been ill. The reason I know he was not a teamster was because he did not remain in the hospital BECAUSE he had no medical insurance. Someone mentioned bad intersection design which is true, that did not cause the accident, but putting a pedestrian escalator at the end of an exit ramp is very poor design. People are killed everyday by illegals driving without licenses or insurance, who then flee back to Mexico and never show up in court. Something should be done about it, too. I have seen these accidents shortly after they happened more then once, a whole family laying alongside the road covered with sheets! The only reason this accident made the news was it was a truck involved.
I was right with you until your last sentence, which is absolutely stupid. If a car ran into the station and killed two people that would have made news too. Even a moron knows that.
Illinois Driver

United States

#111 May 2, 2008
Be Careful wrote:
<quoted text>
I was right with you until your last sentence, which is absolutely stupid. If a car ran into the station and killed two people that would have made news too. Even a moron knows that.
MAYBE a 15 second news bite once if it was a car, MAYBE 1 paragraph on the back pages of the newspaper. this was on all the local TV stations as the top story running several minutes, and continued doing so for three days. You would not know about that being in NJ, the local TV coverage was HERE. A few days later, an illegal in northwest Indiana ran a stop sign at high speed T-boning one car and hitting a second one head on, 4 people killed, including a former states attorny and prominent lawyer in Lake county Indiana which borders the city of Chicago. It made a 30 second story for one newscast, probably only because the lawyer was killed.
Be Careful

Chicago, IL

#112 May 3, 2008
Illinois Driver wrote:
<quoted text>MAYBE a 15 second news bite once if it was a car, MAYBE 1 paragraph on the back pages of the newspaper. this was on all the local TV stations as the top story running several minutes, and continued doing so for three days. You would not know about that being in NJ, the local TV coverage was HERE. A few days later, an illegal in northwest Indiana ran a stop sign at high speed T-boning one car and hitting a second one head on, 4 people killed, including a former states attorny and prominent lawyer in Lake county Indiana which borders the city of Chicago. It made a 30 second story for one newscast, probably only because the lawyer was killed.
Before you spout your mouth off, remember that there ARE people who travel for a living. I LIVE IN CHICAGO, I travel around. And I still think your comments are a bunch of bull. ANY vehicle which would have ran the station, caused that extensive of damage, AND killed two people would have received the SAME news coverage that this truck did. And by the way this Don Wells is really proving to be a whacko, huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chinatown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Target shoots for retail comeback, and Chicago ... Jun '17 be4 Target eh 1
News Emanuel's 'people plazas' program struggling to... Mar '17 Rep Denny Hasturd 1
News February a short month, yet long on fun in Chicago Feb '17 former democrat 1
News 1 dead, 17 wounded in Chicago shootings (Nov '16) Nov '16 former democrat 1
3 times child molester an kidnapper realesed in... (Sep '16) Sep '16 uniqueman23 1
News The Best of Chicago: What to see and do in Chicago (May '14) May '14 joey 2
News The Taxi Ride Every Chicagoan Must Take (Mar '14) Apr '14 iride401 2

Chinatown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chinatown Mortgages