How cash, clout transform Chicago nei...

How cash, clout transform Chicago neighborhoods

There are 6 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 27, 2008, titled How cash, clout transform Chicago neighborhoods. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Neighbors call it "the French Embassy." The new, 8,200-square-foot mansion is by far the biggest house on the 1800 block of North Wood Street, leaving Fred Ehle's four-bedroom home next door in its shadow.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

chicago joe

Schererville, IN

#1 Jun 29, 2008
daley looks like he needs a bath.
joe the lion

Chicago, IL

#2 Jul 29, 2008
It's no surprise that the aldermen take bribes from real estate developers, what's surprising is HOW CHEAP they are! For a few hundred thousand a neighborhood might be able to buy their own alderman and he then, would have to work for the community, not the developers. Have a bake sale! It might actually bring about a sort of return to democracy in Chicago.
Chicago business owner

Northbrook, IL

#3 Aug 23, 2008
Somebody once said people get the government they deserve. Houston has virtually no zoning and therefore housing averages $148,000. This despite the recent national housing boom and massive oil wealth that came into the city. The homeowners in this series who don't like what their neighbors do with their own land ask for the government to "protect" them through zoning. Two problems I'd like to point out here.#1, I thought in America, that if I owned land, I could do what I wanted to to it as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. Apparently in communist Chicago, people think they should be able to stop me if it blocks their view, the sun, or they just don't like how it looks. All random criteria that nobody can plan around.#2. The good comrades of Chiago turn toward their mafia Aldermen to "protect" them through zoning. If residents can't figure out that the mafia can be bought off by however is willing to pay, then they deserve the service that they get. The answer is to strip the Aldermen of their power by eliminating zoning and allowing the market to determine what gets built where. If you don't want a hi-rise next to you then buy that land. Otherwise, it is not yours and you need to mind your own business. Don't forget that if you can stop somebody else from doing what they want on their land, then they can do the same to you. Especially if they decide to payoff the Alderman.
b-dog

Kuwait, Kuwait

#4 Aug 23, 2008
Chicago business owner wrote:
Somebody once said people get the government they deserve. Houston has virtually no zoning and therefore housing averages $148,000. This despite the recent national housing boom and massive oil wealth that came into the city. The homeowners in this series who don't like what their neighbors do with their own land ask for the government to "protect" them through zoning. Two problems I'd like to point out here.#1, I thought in America, that if I owned land, I could do what I wanted to to it as long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. Apparently in communist Chicago, people think they should be able to stop me if it blocks their view, the sun, or they just don't like how it looks. All random criteria that nobody can plan around.#2. The good comrades of Chiago turn toward their mafia Aldermen to "protect" them through zoning. If residents can't figure out that the mafia can be bought off by however is willing to pay, then they deserve the service that they get. The answer is to strip the Aldermen of their power by eliminating zoning and allowing the market to determine what gets built where. If you don't want a hi-rise next to you then buy that land. Otherwise, it is not yours and you need to mind your own business. Don't forget that if you can stop somebody else from doing what they want on their land, then they can do the same to you. Especially if they decide to payoff the Alderman.
Right. Now I will go build a turd factory next to your house and sell it as fertilizer. That would be o.k. according to you. DUH!
Mike

Chicago, IL

#5 Aug 24, 2008
b-dog wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Now I will go build a turd factory next to your house and sell it as fertilizer. That would be o.k. according to you. DUH!
oh yeah !!!
They call it dope

Miami, FL

#6 Aug 24, 2008
Thanks alot Chicago for giving us this idiot of a state senator.

C ollectivist
H omosexual agenda
A rrogance
N arcissistic
G ullible voters
E litist

W arped
E exposed

C ommunist
A bominable
N asty

B olshevism
E egocentric
L eninism
I rresponsible
E gomaniacal
V aletudinarian
E xecrable

I diocy
N onsense

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bucktown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Unsafe construction zones and trashed bike lane... 8 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News 3 dead, 22 wounded in Chicago shootings Aug 22 Rees Porter 9
News Chicago's top cop shakes up command staff amid ... Aug 19 Det Jimmy Shaker ... 3
News 11 Wounded In Shootings Monday Across Chicago Aug 2 bozo 1
News Chicago property tax bill double whammy: Increa... Aug 1 bozo 1
News Obamas choose New York architects to design Chi... Aug 1 Go Blue Forever 5
News It's true: Indiana lures Chicago home buyers, b... (May '14) May '14 reality is a crutch 1

Bucktown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bucktown Mortgages