News Analysis

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Like so many Chicagoans, Walter and Alice Sopala didn't like how their alderman let a real estate developer build a new condo building that placed their home in its shadows.
Comments
1 - 20 of 84 Comments Last updated Jan 23, 2009
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Maori

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

I see a lot of investigations and indictments on the horizon- of the Federal type.

Hellooo--Matlak and Gabinski and Fritchey and the Banks clan and your clients-or rather... campaign contributors.

What a bunch of Class acts.

Or just drop the "Cl"
Jack

South Holland, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

It was soooo good to see that slimy Matlak go down; unfortunately, by then so much of the damage had already been done.
tom

Okatie, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

money, money, money, makes the world go round.

Godless capitalisim is what you want, it's what you got.

After all "greed is good"

the market is self regulated.

everything is for sale. companies, people, aldermen.
Tiny Tim

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

In conclusion, this whole era of city and county corruption that has been allowed to continue over the years falls upon Mayor Daly. Harry Truman best summarized it with "The buck stops here."

Chicago and Cook County voters have been laughed at for years by the rest of the nation for continuing to vote these crooks back into office.
Annoyed

Plainfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Blagojevich sells Senate seats. Chicago Alderman sell building permits. This is Illinois' way of doing business.
Mamma Jamma

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

I moved to Chicago 8 years ago because I thought I loved this city. Actually, I did love Chicago but was blind to the corruption that existed here. I only knew downtown and some of the outlying suburbs and assumed the entire city was lovely. Silly me. 8 years have passed and I've watched the drug dealers, the prostitutes, which includes every single alderman on the role/dole, the biggest crook of all King Richard, and the literal deteriation of a great city. I would give anything to move back to where I came from, central Illinois. Sadly, I am trapped by a decent job that can't be replicated south of I-80. I am too old to leave and start over again. I am forced to stay in this cess poll until I reach retirement age. It's so sad to see one of the greatest cities in this country going down the tubes due to greed, corruption and mob influence. Sad, sad, sad.
JUSTICE JONES

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Maori wrote:
I see a lot of investigations and indictments on the horizon- of the Federal type.
Hellooo--Matlak and Gabinski and Fritchey and the Banks clan and your clients-or rather... campaign contributors.
What a bunch of Class acts.
Or just drop the "Cl"
I agree Maori. Screw the Daley acolyte,they probabily have a no nothling hack job.

“come, pet my scorpion”

Since: Oct 08

Fort Wayne, In.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

I once lived on the northwest side of Chicago, in a neighborhood that was completely single family dwellings.
Next door was an old, abandoned building that had once housed a medical center. After being unable to find tenants, the owners sold it to a developer who wanted to erect a four-story condo.
The neighbors tried to block this development, and voted against a necessary zoning change in meeting after meeting.
Yet, somehow, almost magically, the alderman made the change and the building went up. In what could only be called poetic justice, the building wasn't completed until after the current real estate bust had happened, and so far, only three of the eight units have been sold.
Today, the building is a white elephant that blocks the sun from a few of the neighbor's gardens, and stands as a reminder of the power of greed.
PJR

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

tom wrote:
money, money, money, makes the world go round.
Godless capitalisim is what you want, it's what you got.
After all "greed is good"
the market is self regulated.
everything is for sale. companies, people, aldermen.
Tom, let me help you with this:

Any time anyone introduces force into a market - IT IS NO LONGER A FREE MARKET.

So, if we have a politician who can force you to use your property a certain way - or NOT use it a certain way - the free market is not operating.

Instead, a political market is operating.

If all players are not acting voluntarily, it...

IS NOT A FREE MARKET

IS NOT CAPITALISM.
PJR

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Annoyed wrote:
Blagojevich sells Senate seats. Chicago Alderman sell building permits. This is Illinois' way of doing business.
YES! And the idiot voters elect the same guys every time!

Toss 'em out and they'll elect a clone next time.
celticspike7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Thank you ! i have wondered about this subject for a couple years in the wicker park/bucktown area (wabansia st). Thanks again for some good work !
Frank

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Mamma Jamma wrote:
I moved to Chicago 8 years ago because I thought I loved this city. Actually, I did love Chicago but was blind to the corruption that existed here. I only knew downtown and some of the outlying suburbs and assumed the entire city was lovely. Silly me. 8 years have passed and I've watched the drug dealers, the prostitutes, which includes every single alderman on the role/dole, the biggest crook of all King Richard, and the literal deteriation of a great city. I would give anything to move back to where I came from, central Illinois. Sadly, I am trapped by a decent job that can't be replicated south of I-80. I am too old to leave and start over again. I am forced to stay in this cess poll until I reach retirement age. It's so sad to see one of the greatest cities in this country going down the tubes due to greed, corruption and mob influence. Sad, sad, sad.
It's too bad that more Chicago residents don't think like us. Welcome to the minority. Remember this at election time.
Brian

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Can we please send a few of these aldermen to jail. Maybe then we can see some actual reform in the city.
Kevin

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

I'm not sure what the issue is here. Sure, there's a whiff of conflict of interest, but limiting development would not have prevented a housing crash. There was a housing boom when everybody wanted to buy -- if you had limited supply in those times, prices would have been even higher, and the crash back to normal levels today would have been even more drastic. I don't think what a lot of aldermen did was inherently corrupt, and I don't think it caused, or worsened, the housing bust.
Matto

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

The Tribune may be the only paper that still does investigative reporting. Thank you! I am looking for a new home now and the more I learn the more I see how the Mayor turns a blind eye (with a wink) to corruption in this town. It may be little bitty corruptions but still it adds up to a lotta little corruption. I appreciate you digging around in the records and naming names.

“Love the City that Works!”

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

lissenup wrote:
I once lived on the northwest side of Chicago, in a neighborhood that was completely single family dwellings.
Next door was an old, abandoned building that had once housed a medical center. After being unable to find tenants, the owners sold it to a developer who wanted to erect a four-story condo.
The neighbors tried to block this development, and voted against a necessary zoning change in meeting after meeting.
Yet, somehow, almost magically, the alderman made the change and the building went up. In what could only be called poetic justice, the building wasn't completed until after the current real estate bust had happened, and so far, only three of the eight units have been sold.
Today, the building is a white elephant that blocks the sun from a few of the neighbor's gardens, and stands as a reminder of the power of greed.
What intersection is it by? Inquiring minds want to know.
Joe Lake

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

celticspike7 wrote:
Thank you ! i have wondered about this subject for a couple years in the wicker park/bucktown area (wabansia st). Thanks again for some good work !

House of cards emerges...

For those 'wondering,' here's some more background. See:

32ndNLA (32nd Ward New Leadership Alliance)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/32ndNLA

Joe Lake, Bucktown/Wicker Park
BDD

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Burt Natarus made money from 57 East Delaware when he stopped a development by the church on the corner of N. Mich. and East Delaware, since it would block their view. His replacement, Reilly, has done nothing about the chaos and damage done to buildings during the current construction of the Elysian at Rush and Walton. And you morons keep voting these clowns in.
Why Cry Now

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

All is not lost. Here in North Lawndale if the property is not sold
once it is completed, the builder fills it with Section 8 families
and a few days later you see them standing in front of the
building hailing passing cars to peddle whatever dope is being
sold. And if and when the authorities manage to shut-down the
operation, the building is then boarded-up and remains that way
indefinitely because no no wants to purchase it because it
resembles a CHA Rowhouse.
Greg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Mamma Jamma wrote:
Welcome to Chicago Mamma.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 27 at 10:14PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Bucktown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bucktown People Search