House of cards emerges in zoning-change game

There are 4 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 31, 2008, titled House of cards emerges in zoning-change game. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Like so many Chicagoans, Walter and Alice Sopala didn't like how their alderman let a real estate developer build a new condo building that placed their home in its shadows.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Bernessa Laura Davis

United States

#1 Mar 11, 2009
Maybe they should look into the Boy's Town area.
LDH

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 16, 2009
I'm actually glad to hear that the real estate developers lost money because of their greed to build more and more. However, I'm sad that the government had decided to bail out the irresponsible banks that continue to spend carelessly on bonuses and lavish parties. And, unfortunately, the real estate developers nonpayment affects the little people/contractors that make the city work.
Myrtle

Springfield, IL

#3 Apr 29, 2009
I recall meeting with the Alderman from the First ward for direction on building permits and etc. for a new construction project on a family lot.

One of the first comments made by the Alderman really floored me and my brother, he told us we had to really prepare because it would be very costly to build with brick. He didn't want any other type of material used for homes in the area, except for brick. He said he didn't want anything but brick. He continued to as if the entire area was his and not the constituents that voted him in. We might as well have kept Granato in office.
Fred devlin

Mchenry, IL

#4 May 3, 2009
People like our state representative contribute to this disaster by rezoning th mansion in Independence Park. It was a peaceful neighborhood with no problems until greed took over. Thank you john Fritchey.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bucktown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News It's true: Indiana lures Chicago home buyers, b... (May '14) May '14 reality is a crutch 1
News Chicago's Episcopal Church of the Mediator clos... (Dec '07) Nov '13 RevKen 20
News Convicted Rapist Gets Another 75 Years Behind Bars (Sep '13) Sep '13 you hate the truth 2
News Taco Tuesdays, $5 top shelf Margaritas at a Ay ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 bbb 1
News Three Pinot pours for $5 each Tuesdays at The C... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Blue_Eye_Gemini 1
News Police Charge Bucktown Rape Suspect After Traci... (Feb '13) Feb '13 reality is a crutch 1
News Chicago Dentist Treats Children with Autism and... (Dec '12) Jan '13 LifeasIknowit 9
More from around the web

Bucktown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]