Why Is Boston The Most Racist US City, Many People Claim.

Posted in the Chestnut-Hill Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 43 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Donahue

Toronto, Canada

#1 Aug 26, 2012
I checked the Internet for this and Boston came at the top of many people's lists. I really thought it was a progressive and liberal place. It's historically a Irish city and the Irish have been mistreated and oppressed for so long in their native Ireland that you would not expect Boston to claim top spot for racism.

There are complaints that the different ethnic groups are ghetto-ised and don'y have anything to do with each other. The different groups have many stereotypes of each other and seem to hate each other. How do you explain this? I expected some city in the South, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin or Texas.
T Smith

Boston, MA

#2 Aug 27, 2012
I won't know what to say to that exactly. But, I have lived in our near Boston my whole life and have never felt any animosity while interacting with people of any race.
The connection between Boston and racism may relate to it's prominence during the introduction of bussing. It was before my time. But, as I understand it, Boston's bussing opponents were widely publicized nationwide and their rhetoric was racist. That impression may have stuck in people's heads.
I can only provide anecdotal evidence that, as a white person, I've never been made to feel alienated in any neighborhood.
Donahue

Toronto, Canada

#3 Aug 27, 2012
T Smith wrote:
I won't know what to say to that exactly. But, I have lived in our near Boston my whole life and have never felt any animosity while interacting with people of any race.
But, as I understand it, Boston's bussing opponents were widely publicized nationwide and their rhetoric was racist. That impression may have stuck in people's heads.
Below is a link for a article on this by Harvard University. This just confirms the views of many about Boston being the most racist city in the America TODAY, not 30 years ago. Just a few quotes from the article:
"Why do you live in Boston? It's the most racist city in the America."
"People of colour just come here to get a education. Then they get the hell outta Dodge". Which means, "Lets get ot of here before something bad happens to us
LINK to Harvard article on racism in Boston: http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/11.0...
Bill Carson

Mattapoisett, MA

#4 Aug 27, 2012
http://nytimes.com/2003/10/23/national/23HICK...

..Louise Day Hicks, Who Led Fight on Busing in Boston, Dies at 87
By KATIE ZEZIMA
Published: October 23, 2003
Sign In to E-Mail
Print

..BOSTON, Oct. 22 Louise Day Hicks, the Boston public school official and City Council member whose opposition to busing to achieve school integration helped to polarize the city in the 1960's and made her a national symbol of racial division, died on Tuesday at her home in South Boston. She was 87.

Mrs. Hicks was the city's most prominent opponent of busing, saying it was not what parents, especially those in her almost-all-white South Boston neighborhood, wanted. To her supporters, she was a champion of working-class residents and neighborhood schools. To her opponents, she epitomized an unwillingness to breach a deep-seated racial divide in deeply segregated Boston.

"She became the symbol, if you please, of someone who was against desegregating Boston schools," said Paul Parks, who was chairman of the education committee of the Boston N.A.A.C.P. in the 1960's, a former state secretary of education and a former president of the Boston School Committee. "She would not admit segregation exists."

Mrs. Hicks, a lawyer and the daughter of a prominent South Boston judge, spent a decade fighting against forced integration in Boston before it was ordered in 1974 by Judge W. Arthur Garrity Jr. of Federal District Court.
Donahue

Toronto, Canada

#5 Aug 28, 2012
T Smith wrote:
I
I can only provide anecdotal evidence that, as a white person, I've never been made to feel alienated in any neighborhood.
The city is segregated and from my experience you have to be very careful when you wander out of your own "area". While it may seem safe, if unexpected things happen like having a confrontation with someone in another neighbourhood then you could easily find yourself in serious danger quickly. I read this is what happened to Blacks whose car broke down in a Irish Boston area. They were attacked and some killed.
I thought America is a melting pot.

Since: Jun 12

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Aug 29, 2012
Boston is def segregated and has been since its birth, even amongst whites, italians in the north end and the irish in southie. Still ive been all over boston and never had a problem, cant coment on the racism as i dont live there and im white. Now NY on the other hand theres def neighborhoods i dont dare wander down. Goin thru the bronx every night to fultons fish market is hairy enough for me.
Bill Carson

Mattapoisett, MA

#7 Aug 30, 2012
Professor Elizabeth Warren ,10 points behind in Massachusetts political polls, has hung her hat on the Roe v. Wade, case decided in 1973 by the U.S. Supreme Court . This was over 40 years ago.

Louise Day Hicks a fellow Democrat from Boston during the 1970s refused to admit segregation existed in Boston. She was best known for her opposition to court-ordered busing.
Vivek Golikeri

Hollywood, FL

#8 Feb 18, 2013
Donahue wrote:
I checked the Internet for this and Boston came at the top of many people's lists. I really thought it was a progressive and liberal place. It's historically a Irish city and the Irish have been mistreated and oppressed for so long in their native Ireland that you would not expect Boston to claim top spot for racism.
There are complaints that the different ethnic groups are ghetto-ised and don'y have anything to do with each other. The different groups have many stereotypes of each other and seem to hate each other. How do you explain this? I expected some city in the South, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin or Texas.
Uh-uh. That logic sounds fine on paper, but does not necessarily work in practice. Irish and Jewish people suffered terrible wrongs in the past at the hands of other white tribes. But when put into juxtaposition with non-whites, some start acquiring classic color-racist attitudes.

Some of the biggest white racists I have suffered at the hands of, or witnessed other minorities suffer at the hands of, have been Ashkenazi Jews. And they pull the same nonsense in Israel against dark-skinned Jews of eastern or African origins. I used to have so much love and sympathy for Jews as a boy in England, because I knew many who had been burned by Hitler. But in New York, when I dealt with them as part of the white power structure, I developed the same bitterness that Moroccan or Yemenite Jews in Israel can feel toward Ashkenazim.

I have nothing against the Irish ---- or anyone ----- as human beings. But when I hear all that talk about how much tyranny they suffered, I refuse to get involved.
RJS

Dallas, TX

#9 Feb 18, 2013
Vivek Golikeri wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-uh. That logic sounds fine on paper, but does not necessarily work in practice. Irish and Jewish people suffered terrible wrongs in the past at the hands of other white tribes. But when put into juxtaposition with non-whites, some start acquiring classic color-racist attitudes.
Some of the biggest white racists I have suffered at the hands of, or witnessed other minorities suffer at the hands of, have been Ashkenazi Jews. And they pull the same nonsense in Israel against dark-skinned Jews of eastern or African origins. I used to have so much love and sympathy for Jews as a boy in England, because I knew many who had been burned by Hitler. But in New York, when I dealt with them as part of the white power structure, I developed the same bitterness that Moroccan or Yemenite Jews in Israel can feel toward Ashkenazim.
I have nothing against the Irish ---- or anyone ----- as human beings. But when I hear all that talk about how much tyranny they suffered, I refuse to get involved.
if the white man pisses you off that much, maybe you should think of relocating to africa. if you don't, well, then shut the f()ck up!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#10 Feb 19, 2013
Boston despite all these claims of being the most racist city has also earned the title of one of the best places to come to and live or the surrounding metro as well.. At least people tell it how it is unlike some places on the West Coast who try to be "multicultural" for the sake of not pissing anyone off and they go as far as to date interracially AND have mixed kids. I like the segregation factor and even amongst Europeans, whatever most think I'd pass for is where I would move. I could come and go as free as possible in Southie and in the North End. I am 50% Italian, the rest is greek and I have a good deal Irish in my Italian ancestry as well since mine aren't from Sicily. I'd probably pass for mostly Irish in actuality but I have both for certain in my spirit and mentality.

Also for the person who mentioned Ashkenazi Jews.. I get angry when I hear about a lot of their bs as well. I think all the problematic tribes of civilization need to be wiped out personally but thats my brutal honesty speaking. The mestizos have many bad apples, the blacks have some, but I'd take many whites out as well especially on the West Coast and some in the South.. when the USA crashes, their karma will come to them between their church going hypocrisy or love for cheap labor while yelling Go back to Mexico. Yea many mestizos are scum, but many whites sure are too that I can think of.

All in all though, Boston is not all that bad, you just live in the part of town you belong most in, bottom line. Even in the burbs, I am not going to move to Anglo land willingly or a place like Lexington(e) or Sudbury. I'd pick a Catholic suburb mostly.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#11 Feb 19, 2013
Bill Carson wrote:
Professor Elizabeth Warren ,10 points behind in Massachusetts political polls, has hung her hat on the Roe v. Wade, case decided in 1973 by the U.S. Supreme Court . This was over 40 years ago.
Louise Day Hicks a fellow Democrat from Boston during the 1970s refused to admit segregation existed in Boston. She was best known for her opposition to court-ordered busing.
Have you ever noticed that if you look at the drop in US education rankings, globally...started their decline almost exactley when our schools were integrated in the 1960's?....it would'nt explain the rural scores, but does explain the drop in urban scores.....
Zzz

Revere, MA

#12 Feb 20, 2013
Boston (my home) is a great city, there are two reasons for this perception.
1. Because so many people come here from small towns, different areas (midwest, California) for college. For many this is their first time in a big city. Most big cities have neighborhoods of certain ethnic groups but because of the huge group of people who come here for 4 years, this idea spreads.
2it's ALOT like ALOT of northern cities were up until the 1960's. in New York the Italians were in Little Itally and Brooklyn, the Irish were in Hell's Kitchen, Blacks were in Harlem etc. but that changed in most northern cities except for Boston.
The North End is Italian, Mattapan is black, Southie is Irish and so on. The funny thing is ALL of the neighborhoods are being taken over by yuppies who think it is hip to pay top dollar for a Victorian house in Southie and the same goes for all of Boston. We are being bought and homogenized.

Location hidden

#13 Oct 24, 2013
Vivek Golikeri wrote:
<quoted text>
This should raise a question.. Did you ever think somewhere in your head that Hitler might have been the good guy in all this? Or that he might have had a reason for suppressing Jews. Most were Ashkenazi, the devil themselves.
Redsoxs forfiet

United States

#14 Oct 24, 2013
Cheating Lester should allow redsox to forfeit World Series chances.
mplo

Somerville, MA

#15 Oct 25, 2013
Redsoxs forfiet wrote:
Cheating Lester should allow redsox to forfeit World Series chances.
As a 60-something year old woman who's an Ashkenazi Jew, I find your comments about Ashkenazi Jews being the devil extraordinarily offensive. Please cool it and don't make those kind of remarks anymore. Thanks!
mplo

Somerville, MA

#16 Oct 25, 2013
GiovanniTheGreat wrote:
<quoted text>
This should raise a question.. Did you ever think somewhere in your head that Hitler might have been the good guy in all this? Or that he might have had a reason for suppressing Jews. Most were Ashkenazi, the devil themselves.
Sorry, this reply is for you, GiovanniTheGreat:

As a 60-something year old woman of Ashkenazi Jewish heritage, I find your comments about Hitler having reasons for suppressing the Jews and calling Ashkenazi Jews the devil extraordinarily offensive.

Please cool it, and stop your ethnic comments. Thanks!
mplo

Somerville, MA

#17 Oct 25, 2013
Sorry, Redsox. My apologies. I meant to write my reply to GiovanniThe Great and wrote in the wrong space. My bad. I did correct my mistake, btw.

Location hidden

#18 Oct 25, 2013
mplo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, this reply is for you, GiovanniTheGreat:
As a 60-something year old woman of Ashkenazi Jewish heritage, I find your comments about Hitler having reasons for suppressing the Jews and calling Ashkenazi Jews the devil extraordinarily offensive.
Please cool it, and stop your ethnic comments. Thanks!
I ain't gonna stop jack shit and if I had my way , I'd arrange to do it like Hitler only not lose my sanity and kill myself. Ashkenazi Jews are pure evil and whether a few may be good here and there, the fact is most are no good and are the true white devils that Farrakhan talks about.
joey

United States

#19 Oct 28, 2013
Boston ain't the most racist city. F*ck harvard. In chicago the blacks hate white people and there are alot of blacks in chicago.
Civil Servant Supporter

Winchendon, MA

#20 Nov 5, 2013
GiovanniTheGreat wrote:
<quoted text>
I ain't gonna stop jack shit and if I had my way , I'd arrange to do it like Hitler only not lose my sanity and kill myself. Ashkenazi Jews are pure evil and whether a few may be good here and there, the fact is most are no good and are the true white devils that Farrakhan talks about.
Geez 10 %er, which KKK meeting did you find this guy at? I bet he's one of these crazy 'Catholics" like Mel Gibson is.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelli...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chestnut-Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Worker shocked at construction site 11 hr UnionSMD 2
2 Plead Guilty In Slaying Of Boston Teen 12 hr reality is a crutch 1
$100 directv coupon $10 off for 10 months referral (Apr '12) 16 hr Mark 40
Snap chat names Thu Kj4mvp 1
I-Team: City Taking Drastic Legal Action Agains... Thu reality is a crutch 1
Journalist held in Syria returns to US Wed Jeff Brightone 1
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
•••

Chestnut-Hill News Video

•••
•••

Chestnut-Hill Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chestnut-Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••