Restaurants' opposition might stop gun bill in House | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Do restaurant owners have more clout than law-enforcement officers with Ohio lawmakers? The Ohio Senate easily passed legislation yesterday to allow people with concealed-carry permits to take their guns into bars, restaurants, arenas, museums and other areas where alcohol is served - as long as they don't drink.
Comments
1 - 20 of 65 Comments Last updated Apr 16, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Amazed By The Lunacy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

To the restaurant owners. As soon as I find out which ones oppose this bill, you will not see me in your establishments.
The real question is

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Does the Restaurant association put up more campaign yard signs, knock on more doors, drop more literature, make more phone calls etc etc during 2012 than gun owners? And the answer to that question is a clear "no."

So unless the Ohio GOP wants to guarantee an alienated, angry base in the swing state of Ohio during the crucial 2012 election, this bill will be brought to a vote, soon, and it will pass.
aidedegramps

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

I too, will not patronize those restaurants. I have changed my shopping practices for the same reason. And that includes financial planners, banks, antique malls and any other commercial enterprise
Wild West

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Why don't we go back to cowboy days when you just wear yours guns on your hips and shot anyone that pisses you off.
Columbus

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

If one is a true conservative, a private property owner should have the discretion to allow weapons on his/her property. Look around you, most businesses post signs banning weapons because they don't want to get sued in the event a patron pulls a gun and injures or kills someone. And how is a bartender know if someone is packing heat and wants a beer? They don't want to be a law enforcement officer--they want run a business. It's a CYA for them and I'd do the same thing if I ran a business.
Eight Ball

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Finally, I can protect my drink while I am at the pool table. Bet you don't steal my quarters either!
Mina

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Amazed By The Lunacy wrote:
To the restaurant owners. As soon as I find out which ones oppose this bill, you will not see me in your establishments.
Lunacy: I'm sure these restaurant owners will rest easier at night knowing your gun-toting self is NOT in their places of business.
Bodie

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

GOP in Ohio has already proven how big a voter base they pissssss off doesn't matter. Look at numbers opposed to SB 5 so CCW Permit Holders and the National NRA mean nothing to Ohio Gop office holders.
They are klling the party day by day in the Buckeye State. We now have the Governor with the lowest approval rating of all 50 States and Coporate America looks at that like they do a credit or bind rating so they know that regardless of the promises made by any GOP office holder the end is only 3 yrs away so that means no job growth for Ohio as long as GOP is in power.
Mina

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

aidedegramps wrote:
I too, will not patronize those restaurants. I have changed my shopping practices for the same reason. And that includes financial planners, banks, antique malls and any other commercial enterprise
So does this mean you will not do business with a bank that does not allow you to enter with a gun? What are you, a bank robber?
packin heat

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

if these gun toters wanna go play " Wild Bill Hiccup" let em go out in the country and shoot groundhogs. I dont want to be sitting having dinner while they are getting plowed and have them pull a gun to settle an arguement over a freaking ball game or something.

KEEP THE GUN OUT OF BARS AND EATING ESTABLISHMENTS
Mina

Hopkinsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Wild West wrote:
Why don't we go back to cowboy days when you just wear yours guns on your hips and shot anyone that pisses you off.
That's exactly what will happen if drunks in bard with guns get PO'd at each other. Bang. Bang. Bang.
Paul Not Paublo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Sen. Charleta Tavares stated too many deaths where there are guns and alcohol. I suspect you must be talking about people breaking the law carring weapons, and killing people not breaking the law getting killed. If you want to listen to law enforcement, why don't you ask why so many people were shot last week end and this law was not in effect? Could it be the law breakers had nothing to fear from those that obey the law? I would like to go back into Pizza Hut, but I haven't in years because of the law. Some restaurants will gain, while others will lose, just like banks. The real gripe is when they are against something because it MIGHT. You might get killed crossing a street, so are you going to make a law against it?
Barney19

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Columbus wrote:
If one is a true conservative, a private property owner should have the discretion to allow weapons on his/her property. Look around you, most businesses post signs banning weapons because they don't want to get sued in the event a patron pulls a gun and injures or kills someone. And how is a bartender know if someone is packing heat and wants a beer? They don't want to be a law enforcement officer--they want run a business. It's a CYA for them and I'd do the same thing if I ran a business.
You make an excellent point! Never the less, we do not live in a perfect world. If we did, restaurant and other business owners would be permitted to determine whether their employees and customers were allowed to smoke in their establishments. Such is not the case. Instead we have the tyranny of the majority rather than enforcement of "property rights".
Conservatives Lie

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Amazed By The Lunacy wrote:
The smokers said the same thing...and life goes on...
ODB

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Wild West wrote:
Yeah that actually happened. What color is the sky in your world?
aidedegramps

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Mina wrote:
<quoted text>
So does this mean you will not do business with a bank that does not allow you to enter with a gun? What are you, a bank robber?
No Mina, I am not a bank robber. I have a CCP, I have had background checks, spent time studying the laws of the land, and been fingerprinted. I carry to protect myself and my family. I just will not do business with a commercial establishment that eliminates that right. But thank you for asking..........
Paul Not Paublo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Mina wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect you just put your money in the bank in the form of a check, or have direct deposit. If you were dealing with any substantial money other than your $20.00 ATM you would understand.
I am a true conservative

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

and this bill allows the private property owners to still control their property by opting out, simply by posting a sign. And they cannot be sued for the actions of licensees in their business because their is statutory immunity.

So true conservatives have no reason to be against this bill.
Dave

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Seems to me the most dangerous ingredient in this mix is alcohol.
Hayduke

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Most shootings at business places,especially bars,seem to occur outside in front or on the parking lot
How do you carry a gun from the car to the entrance, but not inside????
Should business that don't allow guns be required to provide gun check ins????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chesterland Discussions

Search the Chesterland Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 5 hr Pope Che Reagan Christ I 29,344
A free pass for a drunk cop? 17 hr Ledgie 1
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Sat Go Blue Forever 2,218
Gregg Dumendic (Apr '13) Jul 25 Town Crier 3
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill a Spook 231
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun 27 Bobby Nye 178
Temple still relevant Jun '14 Former mayor 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chesterland Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chesterland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE