Early clash marks Collins-Taylor hear...

Early clash marks Collins-Taylor hearing | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 76 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 19, 2010, titled Early clash marks Collins-Taylor hearing | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The confirmation hearing for Ohio Public Safety Director Cathy Collins-Taylor got off to a sputtering start this morning but featured some critical testimony from the State Highway Patrol's former No.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
HighMPG

Columbus, OH

#62 May 19, 2010
Yeah Right wrote:
<quoted text> it's called modern technology moron - blackberry, bloggers etc. I'm surprised you were able to post your comment..
I know what technology is and how to use it, as in referring to Tweeting. It's the moron that can't understand the point of my response was about who the Governor had hiding in the room reporting to him what was said, and his email interfering with the conformation hearing.

Since: Jun 09

Columbus, OH

#63 May 19, 2010
Looks bad for "Turn around Ohio Ted" and political cronies.
USSA

Columbus, OH

#64 May 20, 2010
JWT wrote:
<quoted text>
How is someone with 30 years in law enforcement a "hack" in your eyes?
Experience does not equal qualified to lead. She may have been the best follower in her job class but that does not make her a leader.
BSSA Envy

United States

#65 May 20, 2010
KungPaoChicken wrote:
<quoted text> TROOPERS ARE NOT POLICE OFFICERS TROOPERS ARE NOT POLICE OFFICERS. TROOPERS CAN ONLY ARREST FOR VIOLATIONS OF 45 SECTION OF THE ORC AND CERTAIN SECTIONS OF TITLE 29 REMEMBER GOOD CITIZENS IF YOU ARE ARRESTED BY A TROOPER HE IS PROBABLY OUT OF HIS/HER JURISDICTION. OSHP IS ONE OF THE MOST CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS IN THE STATE. IF YOU ARE A TROOPER AND GET IN TROUBLE THEY TRANSFER YOU TO OIS (OFFICE OF INVESTIGATIVE SERVICES) THE SAME IDIOTS COLLINS-TAYLOR DID NOT WANT TO COMPLETE THIS INVESTIGATION.
Didn't make the cut huh? You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, but being a door checker you wouldn't understand what the Patrol really does. The Patrol has NEVER lost a jurisdiction case. They do more than you think, but just wait, its going to get better thanks to the Mission Task Force.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#66 May 20, 2010
JWT wrote:
Call me ignorant, but I don't get how this is "interference?" Isn't Collins-Taylor the Director of the Dept. of Public Safety? Wasn't the sting going to be at the Governor's house? I think the police would need MY permission to conduct a sting at MY residence. Again...nobody got hurt...and their actions kept a crime from being committed. It's only a "big deal" to people who want to bring down the Governor in a tight election year. Frankly, there are about a hundred more important things going on in state government right now...things that truly affect people's lives.
The governor's mansion is owned by us the citizens of Ohio. There is a detail of Ohio State Patrol officers on duty there 24 hours a day, 7days a week, 365 days per year. If the state patrol assigned to protect that plot of ground in the middle of Bexley cannot do their jobs, why do we have a state patrol? If it is unsafe for an officer to do his job, why do we spend our tax dollars to train him, give him a weapon and turn him loose in public? If the administration cannot control the crime on a plot in Bexley where the state patrol is assigned 24/7/365, how can they control crime anywhere in Ohio? This is a conspiracy, interfering with law enforcement, falsification, not to mention the violations of the code of conduct. Bring in the feds. Let them investigate the homeland security claims, then charge the whole crew under Rico if there is any evidence. Put them all in the same cell with Dann.
L Berry

Alliance, OH

#67 May 20, 2010
The question isn't about if she had the authority to cancel teh sting. History shows that two Presidents committed wrong actions. Nixon for Watergate and Clinton for Cigargate. Both committed a deadly sin. They lied to the American People. They could have been forgiven for their actions but not for lying. Integrity is the single most important trait of a trusted elected official. Lose the integrity and lose the trust. IE..fire the lying SOB.
Still Crying

Harrison, AR

#68 May 20, 2010
The testimony that they tried to set up the Inspector General is disgusting and illustrates what this administration is all about. I think this should backfire on them and bring charges against the people who tried to set him up. This has to be the worst administration ever in the State of Ohio. It is time for a change.
liddleguy

United States

#69 May 20, 2010
JWT wrote:
Good God...Ted Strickland is NOT a "liar and a thief." Just like George Bush wasn't a moron and Nixon wasn't a baby-killer. Enough with the rhetoric already. Anyone who thinks this is anything more than political theater is either blind or still has a Ken Blackwell bumper sticker on their car. The Republicans are hoping that voters will hear "drugs...tobacco...prison ...coverup...and Strickland" all in the same story and either concsiously or subconcsiously vote for Kasich because of it. If you think Grendell is sincerely just looking for "the truth" you are kidding yourself. Last time I checked, the action of the Collins-Taylor and those under her prevented a crime from being commited. This is theater.
Where did you buy the stuff you are smoking? Or maybe you have just been breathing the air in your dumbocrat union hall.
Disheartened Ohio Voter

Dayton, OH

#70 May 20, 2010
It's EXACTLY as I have been saying all along... The Ohio Department of Public Safety and the Ohio State Highway Patrol are nothing if not a FORTRESS OF CORRUPTION. And ENGEL ought to be charged criminally... he is a true piece of corrupt trash!!
Crocker

AOL

#71 May 20, 2010
Frenchy wrote:
<quoted text>Because she didn't do anything to deserve the political position she was given. So she can ride a motorcycle! No supervisory experience until she became a political hack! The truth will win out, like cream rises to the surface. Bye, bye!!!!!
She fell off her motorcycle during CPD training qualifications and supposedly injured. She took a disability retirement because of the supposed "serious injury". If she was so seriously injured and unable to work in law enforcemeny then why is she is working & carrying a gun as the ODOPS director drawing a retirement pension?
retired LEO

Mcdonough, GA

#72 May 20, 2010
The remarks made by KungPaoChicken are apparently from someone without any knowledge of the tactics employed by law enforcement dealing with issues such as this. First, the mule dropping the contraband would not be immediately arrested at the point of the drop for fear it might alert the inmates at the residence that the drop went bad. Instead, they woud likely make the arrest some distance away while other plain clothes investigators continued to surveil the package until someone came for it. At that time, the perp would be arrested and the contraband taken in as evidence. I've seen similar situations like this over the years with enough frequency to understand the tactics to be employed. The safety of the occupants inside the governor's residence would not come into question as they wouldn't even know what happened until the event was over. Please folks, try to not perceive law enforcement as that which you see on tv shows. In real life, it simply doesn't happen that way. This whole unfortunate situation came about as a result of misguided politicos injecting their take on something without having a real understanding of the consequences of their interference. Now, they're apparently attempting to close their ranks by suggesting others are out to get them. What ever happened to the time honored tradition of owning up to your own responsibilities? Collins-Taylor could've merely testified to investigators she made an error of judgement and the entire incident would've gone away but instead, by her testimony and that of others in her political circle all in efforts to defray responsibility onto others instead of themselves, all she has done is demonstrate her lack of fitness for command. Lest we forget the Watergate conspiracy and all those alleged loyal and patriotic citizens who chose to follow their leader rather than looking out for the common good of the nation. They chose to lie rather than own up to their mistaken loyalties and they paid a price for their mistakes by following a man instead of the rule of law. Can't you see the similarities between this case and the Nixon-era scandal?
WTF

Columbus, OH

#73 May 20, 2010
Big Deal wrote:
<quoted text>
No big deal hmmm... In NY the assistant to the governor was being accused of raping two women, it is alleged that the Gov. told the safety director to "make it disappear". Cops show up at both the women's homes and pay them off, it disappears. That is why the Safety Director does not and cannot interfere in law-enforcements duties. They are only there to oversee not to use law-enforcement as their personal errand boys or girls.
UM, Big Deal ya might trying reading something called the Ohio Revised Code before making your stupid, rather ignorant post. The safety-director has the authority. Look it up Einstein...it's right there for your perusal...
Nope

Columbus, OH

#74 May 20, 2010
jimmy dresden wrote:
Looks bad for "Turn around Ohio Ted" and political cronies.
Not really because he's running against Krazy Kasich and this life long republican can't even stomach the thought of voting for that wing nut. Bring back the real republican party! Not this crazy T- bagging republican party.
Nope

Columbus, OH

#75 May 20, 2010
HighMPG wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what technology is and how to use it, as in referring to Tweeting. It's the moron that can't understand the point of my response was about who the Governor had hiding in the room reporting to him what was said, and his email interfering with the conformation hearing.
nobody was "hiding" moron. It's a communications staff and they have things called blackberries and and smart phones. This happens everyday in the real world. What turnip truck did you fall off?
Common Sense

Canal Winchester, OH

#77 May 21, 2010
Nope wrote:
<quoted text> Not really because he's running against Krazy Kasich and this life long republican can't even stomach the thought of voting for that wing nut. Bring back the real republican party! Not this crazy T- bagging republican party.
Kasich is a much better option than what Ohioans are getting from Strickland who is incapable of even making a budget without ethical problems. Would you honestly rather have Strickland who is clearly in Obama's pocket and continues to be plagued by scandals in his administration? Seriously?! At least Kasich has proven experience at the federal level. The Republican Party has room for ALL Conservatives whether they are far-right, moderate or support the Tea Party Movement of decreased spending, decreased debt and smaller government. The Republican Party is even open to Moderate Democrats tired of the Liberal agenda. I for one witnessed at my polling station the number of registered Democrats changing to the Republican Party. We need somebody strong capable of dealing with the economic situation in Ohio. Strickland has proven that he is incapable of the job.
HighMPG

Columbus, OH

#78 May 24, 2010
Nope wrote:
<quoted text> nobody was "hiding" moron. It's a communications staff and they have things called blackberries and and smart phones. This happens everyday in the real world. What turnip truck did you fall off?
The only moron here is you Nope, to much kool aid maybe. Confirmation hearings are not held in the lunch room they are held in private chambers where no one should be feeding the Governor information. He has no say in the hearings unless he wants to testify. He was trying to circumvent the rules of law by not putting these people up for confirmation, what was he trying to hide.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christina Melaragno, westlake drug theif (Oct '14) Feb '17 Theo 45
chesterlnd ohio help put trump in white house Nov '16 CITIZEN J 2
who voted for donald trump in chesterland ohio Nov '16 Citizen J 1
News Yours Truly employee says co-worker took pictur... Nov '16 Wondering 2
News Willoughby police officer involved in shooting ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Prior resident 1
News Man charged in triple shooting at Cleveland gas... (Oct '16) Oct '16 FedUp 1
News Bow hunting cruel, women say (Oct '06) Jun '15 zimmz 29

Chesterland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chesterland Mortgages