Is state's jobs entity really needed?

When Republican Gov. John Kasich approached the lectern last week to announce his signing of a bill that increased the number of snow days for Ohio's schools, the first words from his lips were about economic development. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
mckeestown

Newport, TN

#1 Apr 17, 2011
Sure it is needed. We also need a new department to make sure that everyone in Ohio can have Chicken Every Sunday.

Since: Mar 11

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2 Apr 17, 2011
Kasuck's pompous attitude sickens me. Those 3 companies were never going to leave Ohio in the first place. Now he's got his feathers all fanned out and crowing that he saved the day. What a crock!!!

Judged:

16

14

5

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bill Cosby nome de plume

Columbus, OH

#3 Apr 17, 2011
JobsOhio should pass a cost benefit analysis. If the costs exceed the benfits, it's doesn't pass the analysis and funding should be stripped out of the budget. Ohio has a so-called $8 billion budget deficit and JobsOhio will add more than $500 million.

If this was funding for schools, the emperor would turn his thumbs down and let the gladiators slay the funding. Now throw JobsOhio into the coliseum and allow the plebians to decide if the gladiators should slay it.
Richard

Lewis Center, OH

#4 Apr 17, 2011
The answer to the question asked by the Dispatch is "NO". I've worked with the Department of Development from the outside since 1985 and what was painfully apparent during the last four years was that the department needed new aggressive leadership. Lee Fisher and his minions couldn't provide it. This Governor, for all of his other faults, has. Woody Hayes titled hid book "You Win with People". Select the right people with the right attitudes and you will win. We don't need a patently unconstitutional program like JobsOhio see Art. 8, Sec.3 of the Ohio Constitution). We need the right people busting their butts.
Just Another

West Chester, OH

#5 Apr 17, 2011
Ohio is desperate. Every company with a payroll of over 500 and annual revenue over $100 million should renegotiate for tax incentives or threaten to leave the state.
Neighbor

Whitehouse, OH

#6 Apr 17, 2011
Richard wrote:
The answer to the question asked by the Dispatch is "NO". I've worked with the Department of Development from the outside since 1985 and what was painfully apparent during the last four years was that the department needed new aggressive leadership. Lee Fisher and his minions couldn't provide it. This Governor, for all of his other faults, has. Woody Hayes titled hid book "You Win with People". Select the right people with the right attitudes and you will win. We don't need a patently unconstitutional program like JobsOhio see Art. 8, Sec.3 of the Ohio Constitution). We need the right people busting their butts.
Please provide specifics as to how Kasich has "busted his butt." And keeping businesses and jobs in Ohio does not count because its simply paying blackmail money. The only thing that counts for the unemployed is new jobs.
Conservatives Lie

Powell, OH

#7 Apr 17, 2011
Bragging about 'winning' when there was never a threat.

Paying them money we supposedly do not have is akin to blackmail. KKK (King Kasick & Kronies) have limited time...their days are definitely numbered.
Cathy

Vandalia, OH

#8 Apr 17, 2011
I would feel a lot better about Diebold's decision to stay in Ohio if I was more confident about the reliability of their voting machines.

Also, while I know there must be some "I'll scratch your back; you scratch mine" in politics, this seems to be the Governor's chief modus operandi. He seeks favors from others in order to get into power, and then he spends his time in power repaying those favors. His conditional endorsement of Haley Barbour, should the governor from Mississippi choose to run for president, points to this, as do many of Governor Kasich's appointments, early policy decisions, and determination of staff salaries.

So....I guess it's a good thing that Ohio didn't lose the Diebold jobs, but at what cost did we save them? I couldn't put a price on honest and free elections, and I am not convinced that we have those in Ohio. I'm also pretty skeptical that the current party in power cares about honest and free elections in view of what they are doing with district mapping and voter id.

I grow weary of listening to politicians constantly reference "the people." "The people of Ohio want us to do this." We need to take Ohio in a different direction for the people." In truth, they are clearly taking steps to eliminate "the people" from the political process. It's as though they have all said to themselves, "Gosh, being an elected official is a great job; if only I didn't have to deal with 'the people.'"
Bodie

Chillicothe, OH

#9 Apr 17, 2011
Praise Kasuck some more Dispatch.
Why can't you at least give the subscribers you have left Sunday off from your lovie dovie realtionship with the psycho Governor ??????????
bullpucky

Jackson, OH

#10 Apr 17, 2011
Redlily wrote:
Kasuck's pompous attitude sickens me. Those 3 companies were never going to leave Ohio in the first place. Now he's got his feathers all fanned out and crowing that he saved the day. What a crock!!!
Couldn't have said it better! These companies were in the works long before he began his reign (of terror?) and just because they are supporters of his - and not the employees - they waited to give him the credit....YUK!!
bullpucky

Jackson, OH

#11 Apr 17, 2011
Conservatives Lie wrote:
Bragging about 'winning' when there was never a threat.
Paying them money we supposedly do not have is akin to blackmail. KKK (King Kasick & Kronies) have limited time...their days are definitely numbered.
It's those "voices" in his head again....
bullpucky

Jackson, OH

#12 Apr 17, 2011
Bodie wrote:
Praise Kasuck some more Dispatch.
Why can't you at least give the subscribers you have left Sunday off from your lovie dovie realtionship with the psycho Governor ??????????
They still have those "voices" talking to them to - while they sip their TEA.....
bullpucky

Jackson, OH

#13 Apr 17, 2011
So how much in tax rebates will this cost the taxpayers? Every one of those companies were backers of K-sick in this last election. Why wouldn't they "stay?" He's paying them well - and everyone else is paying.
Obvious

Dublin, OH

#14 Apr 17, 2011
Bodie wrote:
Praise Kasuck some more Dispatch.
Why can't you at least give the subscribers you have left Sunday off from your lovie dovie realtionship with the psycho Governor ??????????
The Dispatch can't stop praising the psycho Governor because the Dispatch supports SB5. The Dispatch has unionized workers and the Dispatch know after SB5 the private sector unions are next and this benefits the Dispatch...clearly, the Dispatch is unbiased in the reporting!
Retired Deputy

Chillicothe, OH

#15 Apr 17, 2011
Vardon & Siegel,,,, What will you two ever write about when we rid Ohio of the vermin Kasich ? Why can't we catch a break from your loving bedroom antics with you political lover Johnny Boy ???? We have had enuf of the clown you call Governor and we want him gone, He doesn't have to go today in fact tomorrow would be just fine.
hog2561

Bowling Green, OH

#16 Apr 17, 2011
they should pay us to stay underneath this governor's crap.
John

Marysville, OH

#17 Apr 17, 2011
Published on Thursday, August 28, 2003 by the Cleveland Plain Dealer
Voting Machine Controversy
by Julie Carr Smyth

COLUMBUS - The head of a company vying to sell voting machines in Ohio told Republicans in a recent fund-raising letter that he is "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year."

The Aug. 14 letter from Walden O'Dell, chief executive of Diebold Inc.- who has become active in the re-election effort of President Bush - prompted Democrats this week to question the propriety of allowing O'Dell's company to calculate votes in the 2004 presidential election.

O'Dell attended a strategy pow-wow with wealthy Bush benefactors - known as Rangers and Pioneers - at the president's Crawford, Texas, ranch earlier this month. The next week, he penned invitations to a $1,000-a-plate fund-raiser to benefit the Ohio Republican Party's federal campaign fund - partially benefiting Bush - at his mansion in the Columbus suburb of Upper Arlington.


Funny

Dublin, OH

#18 Apr 17, 2011
My two favorite parts of this article..
1) Its unconstitutional to use liquor profits in private business!

2) Gov Kasich plans to lease the liquor stores for 1/3 of the what makes good business sense!

Never mind the law..our Gov is going to do what he wants and make the rules up as he goes along

and the People of Ohio got a bad deal on Casinos but its OK to lease to the Govs buddies state liquor for a fraction of its value.

Am I the only one that finds it hard to take any of Gov Kasich's decisions seriously???
Sad Sad Sad

Columbus, OH

#19 Apr 17, 2011
Just Another wrote:
Ohio is desperate. Every company with a payroll of over 500 and annual revenue over $100 million should renegotiate for tax incentives or threaten to leave the state.
And they probaly will, it shows the sad state that Ohio is in when we have to pay companies to stay.
Not the only one

Columbus, OH

#20 Apr 17, 2011
Funny wrote:
My two favorite parts of this article..
1) Its unconstitutional to use liquor profits in private business!
2) Gov Kasich plans to lease the liquor stores for 1/3 of the what makes good business sense!
Never mind the law..our Gov is going to do what he wants and make the rules up as he goes along
and the People of Ohio got a bad deal on Casinos but its OK to lease to the Govs buddies state liquor for a fraction of its value.
Am I the only one that finds it hard to take any of Gov Kasich's decisions seriously???
All he seems to be doing is helping his rich buddies to get richer. No Kasich should not be taken seriously, he is sneaky and underhand and I do not believe he has tax payers best interest at heart. More like his best interest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christina Melaragno, westlake drug theif Nov 24 jjj 5
Cody Wayne Huelsman (Dec '13) Nov '14 ank 3
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Oct '14 Barb 1
Stove need fixed Aug '14 sue 2
Willowick man is charged in murder (Jan '06) Jul '14 Gimme a break Mike 49
A free pass for a drunk cop? Jul '14 Ledgie 1
Gregg Dumendic (Apr '13) Jul '14 Town Crier 3
Chesterland Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chesterland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chesterland News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chesterland

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:31 am PST

NBC Sports10:31AM
Coach: 'Very confident' Newton starts vs. Browns - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report10:58 AM
Polamalu (Knee) Likely to Sit Sunday
NBC Sports11:20 AM
Troy Polamalu not expected to play on Sunday
ESPN 1:03 PM
Browns' Mingo fined $16,537 for hit on Dalton
NFL 1:47 PM
'Sound FX' spies Manziel's meeting with Marvin Lewis