Plan would give charities unclaimed O...

Plan would give charities unclaimed Ohio lawsuit funds | The Co...

There are 16 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 7, 2009, titled Plan would give charities unclaimed Ohio lawsuit funds | The Co.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Some Ohio lawmakers want money left over from class action lawsuit settlements to go to charities, not back to the companies that were sued.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

#1 Dec 7, 2009
What legal right does the State have to take money from anyone and give it to whom they see fit, and has no legal claim to the settlement money?

More evidence both political parties are useless.
Balls Deep

Columbus, OH

#2 Dec 7, 2009
I like this idea. AT least the state isn't trying to claim the monies as a 'special tax' or whatnot.
Publius

Paragon, IN

#3 Dec 7, 2009
The State should have no hand in this. Determining which charities are deserving will ultimately land in the lap of a political appointee. These funds could end up going to an organization like ACORN and be used to undermine the electoral process. Where is the legal precedent that would allow a charity with no standing as a member of the injured class to benefit from these funds?
Unintended consequences

New Philadelphia, OH

#4 Dec 7, 2009
If the state would not have so vigorously clamped down on third-party companies/individuals who locate people with unclaimed funds (for a percentage of the proceeds), this would not be anywhere near such a big problem.

Once again, we see that the law of unintended consequences rears its ugly head following the bungling decisions of government.

This charity thing is a very stupid idea, by the way.
DeeKay

United States

#5 Dec 7, 2009
I'm a worthy charity.
Liberty

Johnson City, NY

#6 Dec 7, 2009
A charity??? Give me a break..I can see all the politicians spouses lining up their charities now....save the puppies....save the yellow bellied sap sucker....neighborhood green....
Opinionated Ma

Columbus, OH

#7 Dec 7, 2009
I believe charities in today's economy are suffering and if the money has sat the proper amount of time with no claim it could be used to assist others. What a fitting use of the funds!
I also believe the budget cuts done could be looked at in each government agency cutting jobs to shave costs in a better way than losing jobs.
Look at contracts , prices , negotiate deals showing the companies paying , relook into who has cars, who has phones, take a look at each avenue before you shave jobs.
Use new sources for energy savings, phone bills,paper goods.
Take the tax refund credit from Poiticians off the choice list this year put a new one on
donate 1.00 to balance the budget or feed the hungry.
Hire good people to negotiate buys not shave jobs.
It can be done better.
TimH

Columbus, OH

#8 Dec 7, 2009
While I don't think the company that was sued should get the money back, I don't like the idea of the state deciding what charity should get the funds. To be fair, it should probably be distributed to the known plaintiffs, or go into the state's unclaimed funds account.
Ducky

Columbus, OH

#9 Dec 7, 2009
Most of these so called "charities" are money sucking "corporations". Only a small fraction of the funds that we give to them are used to help people. The rest goes to overhead which includes very high salaries.

Instead, give the money back to the people. Reduce our taxes or use it to fund something that the public can use.
nothing new

Harveysburg, OH

#10 Dec 7, 2009
this is nothing new, and most settlements of class actions already provide for this. The typical recipient is the American Red Cross. I've seen the remaining funds go to the Cancer Society and America's Second Harvest.
AmberDru

Dublin, OH

#11 Dec 7, 2009
Doesn't the state have a deficit?

Who picks the charity?
AmberDru

Dublin, OH

#12 Dec 7, 2009
Parasite Government wrote:
What legal right does the State have to take money from anyone and give it to whom they see fit, and has no legal claim to the settlement money?
When my ex was in the Auditor's Office money that had been strong armed from employees for political contributions was going to be given back- Betty Montgomery didn't give the money back to the employees from which it was taken; she showed what a good person she was by giving other people's money to a charity!
notright

United States

#13 Dec 7, 2009
I'm still waiting for my unclaimed funds from the list the Dispatch prints every year, I applied for it in 2008 and my name appeared again on the 2009 list, yet I have heard nothing from the State of Ohio about my unclaimed fund that I applied for. My name and address matched, yet they give no phone number so I can check on where the hold up is.
AmberDru

Dublin, OH

#14 Dec 7, 2009
notright wrote:
I'm still waiting for my unclaimed funds from the list the Dispatch prints every year, I applied for it in 2008 and my name appeared again on the 2009 list, yet I have heard nothing from the State of Ohio about my unclaimed fund that I applied for. My name and address matched, yet they give no phone number so I can check on where the hold up is.
You are going to have to purse it to get it.
A few years ago I checked the web site and was on the list. I worked for the state, was a registered voter and had a legal drivers license so I don't see how they could of had any trouble finding my address; I'm sure they didn't even try.
Yes or No

Columbus, OH

#15 Dec 7, 2009
Parasite Government wrote:
Has a familiar ring to it. Obama's idea of "change" - redistribute the money - no?

unrepentant

Since: Sep 09

pickerington

#16 Dec 8, 2009
Yes or No wrote:
<quoted text>
Has a familiar ring to it. Obama's idea of "change" - redistribute the money - no?
The State already steals all they can from us. My grandmother died and left $450,000 for my Uncle no one had heard from him and years and if he wasn't found and given the money in a certain time frame it became the States money.Criminal ba*s*tar*ds

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christina Melaragno, westlake drug theif (Oct '14) Jun 2 Middie 46
chesterlnd ohio help put trump in white house (Nov '16) Nov '16 CITIZEN J 2
who voted for donald trump in chesterland ohio (Nov '16) Nov '16 Citizen J 1
News Yours Truly employee says co-worker took pictur... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Wondering 2
News Willoughby police officer involved in shooting ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Prior resident 1
News Man charged in triple shooting at Cleveland gas... (Oct '16) Oct '16 FedUp 1
News Bow hunting cruel, women say (Oct '06) Jun '15 zimmz 29

Chesterland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chesterland Mortgages