Senate committee votes against confir...

Senate committee votes against confirming Public Safety chief | The...

There are 58 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 20, 2010, titled Senate committee votes against confirming Public Safety chief | The.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Senate Criminal Justice Committee today voted 5-4 to recommend that state Public Safety Director Cathy Collins-Taylor not be confirmed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mike Jenkins

Springfield, OH

#42 May 20, 2010
I have a question, who and when does the inspector general ever get inspected by and reported on??? Seems to me that this guy has ALOT of power and has been in the paper ALOT over the last year, but there never seems to be a audit of him OR his department??? Also, is he a republican or democrat? Dispatch, people want to know!!!!!
JCS

Zanesville, OH

#44 May 20, 2010
I am a conservative and I am angry at the tax dollars and state time that has been spent on an investigation over tobacco. I hope the Senators wake up and realize there are real issues that need to be addressed. I hate watching my party play politics. This has been going on since January and I am tired of it. Can we please move on now?
oh no

Columbus, OH

#46 May 20, 2010
2003 Fatboy wrote:
<quoted text>Of course they'll dislike whomever he appoints, because his track record shows he appoints UNQUALIFIED IDIOTS and then tries to beat the system by saying, "oops, I forgot to send the form to the Senate to get her confirmed, because I owe her husband at the FOP a favor in appointing her in the first place." Teddy continuously shows his own incompetence in being governor. If you have ever read my many posts on the Dispatch, you'll see that I voted FOR Strickland, but come November I will vote for the lessor of the 2 evils, most likely Kasich. Even I cringe at the thought of that! And, my name on here does not imply that I am fat, quite the contrary. I'm probably in better shape than you. My name is the model of Harley Davidson motorcycle I ride.
give it up FATBOY you're not fooling anybody - you've never voted for Strickland and never would - get a life and quit making some many posts -- do u think anybody other than political junkies are reading these. besides, I would be 90% of posters are Republicans....
Sage

Chillicothe, OH

#47 May 20, 2010
Time for a call from the Governor to ask Ms. Collins-Taylor to resign. She's toast. If she doesn't want to embarrass Ted further, step down.
ALEX

Fredericksburg, VA

#48 May 20, 2010
Obviously, I am missing the point of these political
machinations. From the outset, has not 'THE INVESTIGATION' been led by THE DISPATCH powers-that-be?
Think hard people: What was the end game, and true
significance in the substance of the original "sting" operation? In light of the canceled sting,
what major criminal actions transpired? And, if any,
what were the costs in harm, damage,...to persons,
property, state taxpayers? Be specific, please.

Lastly, where are the body bags (dead corpses included)? Other casualties?
Ulysses

United States

#49 May 20, 2010
One would have thought that our esteemed and distinguished Governor would have the sense to have asked Ms. Collins-Taylor to step down. After all, Ted is running for reelection, and he doesn't need this bad publicity. The Office of the Ohio Inspector General was specifically created to investigate instances of wrongdoing and/or corruption in state government, and to remove that office from partisan politics. Now, it seems that whenever the impacted parties don't like or agree with the results of the IG's report, they attack the IG! Several years ago, President George Bush appointed a Commission headed by former Secretary of State James Baker to make recommendations regarding a timetable for our troops to wirthdraw from Iraq. In 2006, Rep. Pat Tiberi specifically stated that he would abide by the recommendations of the Baker Commission. However, when the Baker Commission came up with a recommendation for a specific date for withdrawal from Iraq, all of a sudden Tiberi and his fellow Republicans didn't like the recommendations of their fellow Republican, James Baker, and they stonewalled. It wasn't until the Iraqi Government specifically requested that all U.S. troops (not just combat troops) leave the country no later than Dec. 31, 2011, that a timetable was implemented.
The Hater

Marysville, OH

#50 May 20, 2010
WTF wrote:
<quoted text> And guess what Fatboy? Teddy, as you like to call him will just appoint somebody else they hate. They still won't get their promotions and the head of public safety will be a civilian. And yes, that director will have authority per the ORC. So the only thing that changes here is the name of the director. And, to your disappointment Teddy will still be Governor in November. You all won one battle - but we're going to win the war. Dream on FATa$$
Nah.....Governor Kasich gonna be da man
The Hater

Marysville, OH

#51 May 20, 2010
JCS wrote:
I am a conservative and I am angry at the tax dollars and state time that has been spent on an investigation over tobacco. I hope the Senators wake up and realize there are real issues that need to be addressed. I hate watching my party play politics. This has been going on since January and I am tired of it. Can we please move on now?
Who said it was tobacco? Oh yeah that's right your girl Collins-Taylor did in an attempt to down play the investigation and maybe Dicken did in an attempt to protect your girl. NO investigator involved directly in the investigation thought it was going to be tobacco. The investigators believed it to be drugs and NEVER stated otherwise.(conveying drugs into an institution is a felony in case you were wondering) Your girl interferred in a criminal investigation where she had no authority to do so. She should be brought up on charges herself!
OuchFactor

Dublin, OH

#52 May 21, 2010
A despicable resultinstituted, as is their political perogative, by despicable people. The biggest joke is a toss up between whether Tim Grendell, committee, chair, could be fair, or whether David Goodman, has half a clue. Goodman is a joke as a lawyer, and anyone who knew the guy would ever retain him to serve as their lawyer. This will effectively go down as his last significant stand as a legislator. He is done....... Grendell is as disgusting as was John Belushi's chrarcter in Animal House. Credit the political stand of Bill Seitz in voting with the party in the minority. This was botched by the Strickland team in failing to forward paper work timely. After that miscue it became a political exercise and the band of bad men could not be counted on to act responsibly. Here is hoping and expecting that each of them will get theirs in the near future. The shame goes not with Collins, but with them. They are scumbags. Go figure.
xsgt

Columbus, OH

#53 May 21, 2010
She had no business being the Public Safety Director to begin with. Political appointment to OIU and DPS. At least find someone with qualifications!! God bless the CPD, but she was an officer with no supervisor experience. And from what I hear, she wasn't even a good officer, just ask current CPD officers.
Black-Gold

Celina, OH

#54 May 21, 2010
Typical hypocrisy on the part of all you Dems. When Charles investigated loser Dann, even Strickland reaped praise on the job Charles did. Investigations by Charles's office during the tenure of Voinovich and Taft were not political witch hunts, but now that Strickland is at the center of this mess, Dems want to point their finger at Charles, and the Senate Republicans. Read the transcripts of the hearings- there are so many problems with how and why this sting operation was cancelled to begin with- all in the name of too much concern over the public's safety. Yea, right! Read what the actual investigators thought this contraband was- drugs. Yet, just sweep this under the rug and why make a big deal of this- especially since it might embarrass Strickland. Ted- cut your ties to Collins-Taylor, and remove these incompetent political appointees to save Kasich the trouble of replacing them all next January. This knock and talk policy suddenly implemented to protect Strickland- what a joke!
A Real Law Man

New Albany, OH

#55 May 21, 2010
xsgt wrote:
She had no business being the Public Safety Director to begin with. Political appointment to OIU and DPS. At least find someone with qualifications!! God bless the CPD, but she was an officer with no supervisor experience. And from what I hear, she wasn't even a good officer, just ask current CPD officers.
I agree! Ask real officers what they think of her! She was set up for failure though, as she was never qualified for the position in the first place. I'm sure it had nothing to do with her Loser Husband & his connections to the Statehouse? Ask real officers what they think about him as well? I say 'good ridance' to the both of them!!
Mostly right

Groveport, OH

#56 May 21, 2010
Opened my eyes wrote:
I am an independent and was leaning towards voting Republican, but the actions of Senator Grendell definitely changed my mind. It is hard to believe that anyone that has read the report and the evidence that was left out of the investigation could not tell this investigation was a very biased and factually lacking evidence to substantiate the character assasination conclusion. Senator Grendell played polictics with people's lives as did the IG. Ted has sured up my vote by standing behind this professional director. We need an IG that will bring integrity back to that office.
OK, assuming you really are in Westerville, how much sense does it make to base your vote on what some Senator - who doesn't even represent your district - says? Come to think of it, your statement about "leaning towards voting Republican" also suggests you are planning to cast your valuable votes based on affiliation rather than the quality of the candidate. This is the same sort of reactionary voting that brought us Marc Dann, remember - but he's only the most obvious example; you can find plenty of bad choices on both sides of the aisle largely brought about by knee-jerk reactions.

If you are a true independent, I'd think you would cast votes based on your evaluation of each candidate, not whether they are an R or a D (and not even whether or not they happen to be an incumbent)...come to think of it, in a general election, even folks registered with a particular party have that option. Don't waste your vote.
Still Crying

Harrison, AR

#57 May 21, 2010
Justthetruth wrote:
Come on! This was a ridiculous investigation. Who in their right mind would want a "sting" to come down at any residence that houses a Governor and his family. This was purely political and a desperate attempt by the GOP's to smear anyone that the Governor would recommend. It was a waste of my tax dollars. Don't these Senators have something important to do, like voting on the House Bill that would give families with Autistic Children insurance coverage? Shame on the 5 that voted against her confirmation!!!!
To call this investigation "ridiculous" is in itself ridiculous. The governor himself should have wanted to find out who was involved in this contrabrand "drop". I doubt that his guests that evening would have even known anything was happening in the backyard and the story would have only warrented a short article in the paper the next day. I certainly think that he should have been interested in knowing who the prisoner was that was involved and would have not wanted that prisoner in his home ever again. Then to top it off to try to set up Mr. Charles, who is an honorable man, tops off the story.
watcher

Columbus, OH

#59 May 21, 2010
Liar, Liar, Liar! She should have not been confirmed.
dead rabbit society

Columbus, OH

#60 May 21, 2010
Remember When wrote:
<quoted text>
The confirmation process isn't over yet...
LOL clueless lib. It isn't technically over, true. But, yes my son. It is over, at least in terms of any hopes you had here. Stick to your own crooked town, you might actually have a clue there.

Consider yourself schooled, son.

dead rabbit society

Columbus, OH

#61 May 21, 2010
watcher wrote:
Liar, Liar, Liar! She should have not been confirmed.
Wow, you the smart one in your family?
oic

Powell, OH

#62 May 27, 2010
dan wrote:
The person for this job should be African American, no other qualifications should be needed!
OMG WHATEVER

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christina Melaragno, westlake drug theif (Oct '14) Jun '17 Middie 46
chesterlnd ohio help put trump in white house (Nov '16) Nov '16 CITIZEN J 2
who voted for donald trump in chesterland ohio (Nov '16) Nov '16 Citizen J 1
News Yours Truly employee says co-worker took pictur... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Wondering 2
News Bow hunting cruel, women say (Oct '06) Jun '15 zimmz 29
What James Franco gets wrong about working for ... (May '15) May '15 Unhappy parent 1
Cody Wayne Huelsman (Feb '14) Nov '14 ank 2

Chesterland Jobs

Personal Finance

Chesterland Mortgages