Rules to Help Prevent Car Collisions between Deer and People

Posted in the Chesterfield Forum

The Commentator

Charlotte, NC

#1 Oct 9, 2013
At this time of year we need to review all possible options to prevent collissions between deer and automobiles. I have some good recommendations and I would like to share them with you in order to prevent this senseless loss of life and damage to cars and other property. Collisions between automobiles and deer are responsible for approximately 150 fatalities and about $1.1 billion in property damage every year in the USA, says the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In fall and winter, when the animals mate, they pay less attention to traffic than some drivers. There are active steps drivers can take to greatly reduce their chances of encountering does and bucks, however. Hereís a list of common sense doís and doníts:

1. Know When They're Most Active

Deer are most likely to be seen in exposed areas, such as the grassy area near a road or freeway, about two hours before dawn and two hours after dawn. Of course, you still run a risk of encountering a deer at other hours of the day, but these are peak times.

2. They Aren't Just In Rural Areas

Deer are commonly found in wooded areas, but that doesn't mean they're exclusive to the north country. According to Car Star, a network of collision repair centers, the top 10 deer danger states are Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Georgia, Virginia, Minnesota, Texas, Indiana and South Carolina. Car Star also points out that since migration and mating season occur in the later part of the year, October through December is the most accident-prone for deer-vehicle

3. Drive Defensively

Do as your driving instructor told you: Drive defensively and be ready to take evasive action, including braking suddenly.

'If a deer appears in front of your car, slow down and honk your horn with one long blast to frighten it away,Ē Carolyn Gorman, Vice President of the Insurance Information Institute, told AOL Autos. Always wear your seatbelt and insist your passengers do as well.

4. Wait, And Then Continue

If you see one deer, it's best to slow down and let the deer continue on his or her path. Keep in mind that deer travel in packs, so if you see one there's a good chance another could be close by.

5. Use Your Lights

Use your high beams when there isnít any oncoming traffic. It will help to illuminate the animal's eyes so you can spot them sooner," Gorman says. "Also, use the brights to alert drivers in the opposite direction if you spot a deer or herd.

Let us hope with this information we can reduce the loss of life and damage to property Neither the deer desire to get hit and nor we desire to hit them either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Golden Goat (Aug '10) 11 hr Spylock 30
Citizens fight back against criminal robbing dr... (May '12) Tue NYC2VA 9
Mr. Cheney--You Are a Piece of C--P Part 1 Tue skru 2
Local Gay Rights Advocates Fight Controversial ... Mon My eyes 5
Gang stalking and psychological harassment in R... Dec 21 Sup 8
One Dead, One in Custody after Broad Street Sta... (Oct '09) Dec 19 melody colombus 23
Review: Lava Smoke Tobacco & Gift Inc (Feb '13) Dec 18 lavasmoke 4
Chesterfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chesterfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chesterfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chesterfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:59 pm PST