VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly...

VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disabled, Question 1

Created by CitizenTopix on Oct 11, 2010

4,037 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

Jimbo

Chesapeake, VA

#62 Oct 12, 2010
"authorize legislation that will permit" so they still have to pass some bill even if the ammendment passes? I give up.
lost

New Hope, VA

#63 Oct 12, 2010
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s what I thought. I have to plead stupid on this. What does this change? Don’t the localities already have the power to do this (since they are)? Is this just a political trick to make them look like they care?
Yes, localities can do this. I know Tazewell County has been doing it for years for the elderly. So just stop talking about it and if you know of an older person who needs some help call the Commissioner of Revenues office in Tazewell, they will be very helpful.
zzz

Lebanon, VA

#64 Oct 12, 2010
??????
beckgetsit

Richmond, VA

#65 Oct 12, 2010
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s what I thought. I have to plead stupid on this. What does this change? Don’t the localities already have the power to do this (since they are)? Is this just a political trick to make them look like they care?
Jimbo....you are correct. Part of this is a move to show they "care", almost like buttering you up for a vote, nah a politcian wouldn't do that! Would they?
Please

Bristol, VA

#66 Oct 12, 2010
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Some do it. In Washington County there is a cap of 100.00 and I was told they can not increase it unless the Law changed.
overstaffed

Hopewell, VA

#67 Oct 12, 2010
beckgetsit wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope...we already have all the staffing we need to determine hardship...remember the dems are in control now..so there is an abundance of overstaffing already...once again you are speaking with your head in the sand.
You really think that the democrats come up with these quotas for personnel? These quaotas are provided by statisticians. Just like everything else that has a number. Lawyers don't produce the numbers, they just agree on the numbers and delete projects that benefitted another party while at the same time, implementing their own. Once the dollar is there they aren't looking to save it. And if there is a reduction, best believe that it wasn't the dollar that was used controversially; it was somebody's job. 76,000 teachers fired in September to show a reduction in spending by the states. All of the programs are still going!
SirRantsAlot

Richmond, VA

#68 Oct 12, 2010
Diehard Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>
I work a full time job, am a contributing member of society, and my income is fixed too. I make a certain wage every week, and that's all. Does that mean that my taxes should be cut? or stopped?
No. You're still working and you *can* work. You also have the potential to work a second job, start a business, or do something else to increase your income potential.
Concerned

Naperville, IL

#69 Oct 12, 2010
SirRantsAlot WROTE:
<quoted text>
"No. You're still working and you *can* work. You also have the potential to work a second job, start a business, or do something else to increase your income potential."

So can someone receiving Social Security. My grandma is on a fixed income and has had to take a 2nd job. The gov't allows this so why can't they just do the same as we have to and work harder? If she can, so can most others. She is legally blind in one eye, has extreme arthritis and many other major health issues. She isn't asking for handouts though, she's busting her a** day in and day out to do her part

Since: May 10

Rooted in Reality

#70 Oct 12, 2010
justified wrote:
<quoted text> Already there and I didn't want to contribute to medicare, social security or any other false annuity program sponsored by the gov. I also don't want any of my kids to do anything with me or for as far as being old. I paid for long term care, I didn't take out second or third mortgages for my childrens educations or weddings and I knew when I bought my house in 1972 that I was going to have to pay taxes on it until I croaked. I drive a 2000 lexus rx300 and my wife drives a 2006 bmw 650i and we own a 1988 chevy c1500, a john boat and a golf cart...screw the working class(75000-150000) that bought a house for more than they made in 3 years of income. Nobody forced them to spend their money.
And if you can't afford to live, there is an alternative.
Well I'll be damned. The law of averages finally caught up with us. I agree with you on this one.
Still Thinking

Pittsburgh, PA

#71 Oct 12, 2010
I am old and disabled. If they give me a tax cut, what do i have to give them?
harman

Grundy, VA

#72 Oct 12, 2010
u good people work and pay it in and i will draw it out. there should be more people like uall. thank u. remember keep paying it in. so i can get my check and food stamps
Lizza

Goodlettsville, TN

#73 Oct 12, 2010
I am voting NO
bsbs

Marion, VA

#74 Oct 12, 2010
I really wish this post would go away it is so stupid.
Abby

Richmond, VA

#75 Oct 13, 2010
You realize who carries the burden of others not having to pay taxes? We simply cannot afford this as individuals.
Bubba

United States

#76 Oct 13, 2010
I know 2 men who are perfectly able to work but they get disability because they drink to much that's just messed up

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#77 Oct 13, 2010
Report them???????
tax payer

United States

#78 Oct 13, 2010
I think all people with disabilities should be exempt or least get a discount on taxes. I am the only one working in my house and I have alot of taxes to pay. Let these high up people live on a disability check and see how they can afford to live and pay their bills. It's no wonder people want to rob you blind anymore! You have to get money for food somehow.
tax payer

United States

#79 Oct 13, 2010
Social Security and Disability will be gone when I'm old enough to draw it but's it's ashame I'm out here working my ass off for others now. Don't hardly seem right!!!!! I will starve to death by the time I get to be a senior citizen. How SAD!!!!!
tax payer

United States

#80 Oct 13, 2010
Tax the rich and help all the poor people!
Ov Bob

Virginia Beach, VA

#81 Oct 13, 2010
Too many variables here. Whats gonna stop me from putting my house in my moms name to get out of taxes? And like was said before, just because you learned how to milk disability, should not exempt you from your tax obligations. Now with the Vet's I can see it, and i dont think it would be easy to cheat on that exemption.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Aim 4Fitness 7 hr Erika 36
News In tobacco-loving Va., bars to quit cold-turkey... (Nov '09) 7 hr martin garey 28
Hillary Ignored Pleas Wed VN Vet 6
News Ukropa s future: Open Sundays, alcohol sales af... (Dec '09) Jun 22 martin garey 12
More Reason to Lawfully Remove Obama from Office Jun 17 Concerned Citizen 1
Thriller Book Store (Aug '12) Jun 16 smoothie243 35
Joe King Danville Jun 13 Kathy King 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chesterfield Mortgages