Richmond mother breaks cylcle, and le...

Richmond mother breaks cylcle, and leaves public housing - wtvr

There are 121 comments on the WTVR story from May 3, 2010, titled Richmond mother breaks cylcle, and leaves public housing - wtvr. In it, WTVR reports that:

RICHMOND, Va., - Reluctantly, Tonya Hocker and her four children once called a Gilpin Court Townhouse their home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
greg

Midlothian, VA

#1 May 3, 2010
Now whats the problem with the rest of you doing the same?60.00 a month,free food,utilities,medical,this crap needs to stop.We could pay for all the health care we need instead of new nikes and mcdonalds. you fools.
Janice

Richmond, VA

#2 May 3, 2010
Way to go Tonya!!! So Proud of You!!!
Deborah Jones

Richmond, VA

#3 May 3, 2010
Tonya, I too lived in Jackson Ward, on Chamberlayne Pkwy. I knew your mother, Harriet and also had brief encounters with you. I have moved on also and now I am a homeowner not far from you. I am preparing to walk across the stage at the Sigel Center on May 15, 2010, one class away from my degree. I have also applied to VCU school of undergrate so I can continue on with my education. Tonya, I am 55 years old and I can see a lot of what it takes to succeed in you. Never stop looking ahead and progressing.
margaret

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#4 May 3, 2010
Way to go Tonya! I pray that you make it. I wish there were more people who would do that instead of relying on the government to do it for them.
FLASH3

AOL

#5 May 3, 2010
Congratulations Tonya for making an positive change in your life.
not a teahead

Atlanta, GA

#6 May 3, 2010
greg wrote:
Now whats the problem with the rest of you doing the same?60.00 a month,free food,utilities,medical,this crap needs to stop.We could pay for all the health care we need instead of new nikes and mcdonalds. you fools.
Just as i predicted, another hating teabummer. Your comments are "junk." All the "junk" buttons were pushed. GET OFF THIS PLANET!!!!!!!!!!
not a teahead

Atlanta, GA

#7 May 3, 2010
Ahhh tonya, your haters can't do a thing with you.
God favors you b/c he saw the BEST in you.
Give Him all the GLORY!!!!!!!!!!
No More Pity

Richmond, VA

#8 May 3, 2010
I will not give you a hand for doing the same exact thing expected of all of us. Instead I will continue to frown upon you for birthing children and allowing them to live in such horrid and violent conditions; until you've managed to gain my respect. Respect gained by doing the same exact thing expected from all of us for many more years to come. Words spoken by a female voting Democrat with social liberal beliefs. Certainly the far opposite of a tea party member. I, said above Democrat, just don't believe in self pity.

Since: May 10

RVA

#9 May 3, 2010
not a teahead wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as i predicted, another hating teabummer. Your comments are "junk." All the "junk" buttons were pushed. GET OFF THIS PLANET!!!!!!!!!!
All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure.
ann

Carrollton, VA

#10 May 4, 2010
Way to go girl!!!!! I am so proud of you...keep up the good work and dont let anyone knock you back down
Skippy

Richmond, VA

#11 May 4, 2010
Be careful people will be mad you left.
Mort

Colonial Heights, VA

#12 May 4, 2010
No More Pity wrote:
I will not give you a hand for doing the same exact thing expected of all of us. Instead I will continue to frown upon you for birthing children and allowing them to live in such horrid and violent conditions; until you've managed to gain my respect. Respect gained by doing the same exact thing expected from all of us for many more years to come. Words spoken by a female voting Democrat with social liberal beliefs. Certainly the far opposite of a tea party member. I, said above Democrat, just don't believe in self pity.
spoken like a true bubble boy.
The Most Beautiful One

Richmond, VA

#13 May 4, 2010
No More Pity wrote:
I can't believe that you would even say anything like that! Have you ever had to struggle! Have you ever been in a place or a situation where it seems that you would never get out. The problem with people like you (yes I said like you ) have a probably never had a situation. I like Tonya was in the same, if you were to see me know you would not believe it. I now have a $45,000 a year job, however I will never turn my nose up or frown at anyone, because I was there once to. Until something like that happens to you or family you would never understand. The one thing that bothers about humans are we are the only creatures who don't build up the fellow species. Anyhoo, Tonya I am SO proud of you, keep your head up, let the hater be your motivators! Until you know her story, DONT judge her glory!!!
greg

Midlothian, VA

#14 May 4, 2010
not a tea head clearly has no life.He post on every message board out there.1 can get off welfare so can you not a teahead,but clearly a dumb arse.Get a life you welfare sucking nobody.Oh and does your mom know you skip school everyday to be on here,better yet do you have a mother,or did she walk out with dad?Back to my point,if this women can do why cant the rest of you?Anybody?
The Most Beautiful One

Richmond, VA

#15 May 4, 2010
Mort wrote:
<quoted text>spoken like a true bubble boy.
Truthfully he sounds like someone who is very ingorant. The problem is there are lot a people in her situation who didnt get out, or dont even know how to get out! I wish people woudl grow up. If you cant help, then shut up!!!
Midlomom

Midlothian, VA

#16 May 4, 2010
Great job to this mom! She finally saw that the only one who could help her was her! Kudos to Tonya.
The Most Beautiful One

Richmond, VA

#17 May 4, 2010
greg wrote:
Excuse me sir, dont you feel that this comment is a little harsh! Are you implying that people in that situation only buy nikes and mcdonalds? If so that is really rude and disrespectful.

Let me share something with you, I was once in the same situation. I was in college when I got pregnant with my son. I had no where to go, I was in the same situation. I didnt want to be homeless so like Tonya I applied and lived in public housing for 3 years until I was able to finish school. Yes it was hard I worked two jobs, raised my son, and finished school. Who helped me? NO ONE!! I had to learn myself how to maintain the day to day life situation. When I decided to move out of the housing system (which was very easy for me to stay as well) it was hard. I agree with Tonya, it is a community with in itself. My neighbors didnt want me to leave, and I knew that leaving was going to be hard. Now I live in a community where people hardly even speak, so the community life I miss. What the media never shows how people in the housing areas help each other out they only show what they want. What they dont show is most of the children that are in that envirnoment are really in the top of there classes.(i didnt know that until I live in the system.) If people really care about each other they would go into the areas mentor and help people get out. Help them with life management skills, instead of knocking them down.
Abby

Clermont, FL

#18 May 4, 2010
Congratulations to Ms. Hocker. She's living proof the cycle can be broken. A lot of these people had parents grow up in Gilpin, so they're accustomed to the filth, drugs and gunfire. The trade off is it's nearly FREE. We need to get these people to complete school and go to work. I'm sick of half the country working to support the other half that rather sit on their fat arsses and have us look after them. It's multi generational and won't stop until we stop it.
Mia

Conyers, GA

#19 May 4, 2010
An enlightening story; it's so sad no resources are made available to the residents of the courts, to help them in reversing the situation they find themselves in. What a wonderful thing Ms Hocker decided to grab for the brass ring. We should all be as tenacious. Gives one pause to really consider one's own blessings.
Also gives me the idea to get involved. I know how to do this, the steps needed and where the resources are. So instead of engagin in mere "slacktavism" by leaving this comment and then playing Halo or eating another twinkie. I shall be calling local agencies to see if I may volunteer my services. Perhaps its all about community
Sammy

Richmond, VA

#20 May 4, 2010
Congratulations!!!!!

I am happy for you and wish you the best. God Bless you and your children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I Will Never Ever Purchase from Sears Again 10 hr One Angry Customer 1
Officers Work 84 Hours Jun 24 Officer Jones 9
Prison Officers Alone Jun 23 Prison Officers A... 1
Christie Brinkley Wrinkle Remover May '17 bulk 1
News Latino prosecutor in Chesterfield: Violent ille... Apr '17 spytheweb 5
News How Did Fla. Therapist Accused of S&M with Pati... (May '14) Mar '17 Tim 4
Like and following social pages (Nov '16) Nov '16 Sesational Seduction 1

Chesterfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance