Former Chesterfield Teacher Now Sex Offender - wtvr

Full story: WTVR 53
A former Chesterfield elementary school teacher convicted of videotaping a minor in the bathroom. Full Story

“Veritas parit odum....”

Since: Oct 10

Richmond, VA

#22 Oct 21, 2010
LGBTandP_activist wrote:
Stop the persecution of the LGBT+P community!
Filming is harmless. Get a grip you bunch of christian prudes!
Really! The victim was 17, he was being filmed without his knowledge. As a devout Atheist, that comment offends me!
Laura

Richmond, VA

#23 Oct 21, 2010
LGBTandP_activist wrote:
Stop the persecution of the LGBT+P community!
Filming is harmless. Get a grip you bunch of christian prudes!
seriously?!?! filming is harmless?? thats just the beginning of something else, kidnapping, rape, murder, the list goes on. And thats just what he was cought doing, no telling what else he has done to other children, how bout we let him film your child and see if you still think the same thing.
Super Mom

United States

#24 Oct 21, 2010
Filming kids is just the beginning - he is a pervert and was working in a school with kids! Who knows if he was doing this at school too - you just never know. Only problem is he only lost his job... big deal... what about the poor kid who has to live with the violation of his privacy for his entire life. He should have done jail time!
WhereGraceLives

Midlothian, VA

#25 Oct 21, 2010
Should he have been punished? Absolutely. Is his life ruined? Absolutely. Was he placed on the SO Registry, which is public knowledge? Yes. Did the police, school system, and family involved investigate and find this was an isolated incident? Yes. Does it make sense that a man who had a masters degree, a good career, a family, and was well respected in his community would decide to do such a horrible thing without there being an underlying problem? Probably not.

What I am floored at in reading all these posts is the lack of compassion everyone here has for an educated man who clearly made bad choices, and probably needs help! Did anyone who reported on this find out if he had been molested as a child? Did anyone bother to see if there are unresolved issues from his past? No - the conclusion is that he is a pedophile that should be castrated, beat up, and in jail because if he isn't locked up, it will lead to kidnap and murder (really? do you really believe that?)

So I can only gather that everyone here has NEVER dealt with alcoholism, drug addiction, sex addiction, or anything like that. Because you all are clearly perfect. These are diseases, and perhaps people should start thinking about how our society PROVOKES AND PROMOTES these behaviors, instead of deciding that castration is the answer without even knowing the FACTS!

Now I am waiting for the intelligent reply such as "you can't compare an alcholic to this". I can't? Go to an Alanon meeting and see if you feel the same way in the end!

The other side to it is this ... do you know what it does to the victim and their family? Do you think that bringing this all up 6 months later helps them? If it does, tell me, please! Yes - you DO have the right to know - and guess what? Anyone, at any time can go to the online registry and look to see WHO is in your neighborhood! You can see WHO is at a hotel and WHERE they work. You didn't need a 6 month old story to inform you, and perhaps if you were proactive or REALLY cared, then you would look each and every day. Heck, you can even put your email address in there and get a FREE NIGHTLY UPDATE delivered right to your inbox - Sex Offender Registry for Dummies!

Ok ... so you still have an argument. The school. "But we have a right to know when it involves a teacher". Again - correct. And as you know, he was placed immediately on leave and NEVER came back. No child in that time came to a parent and said that anything inappropriate happened. Nobody knew a thing - and yet, this was public knowledge. A quick check of the ole' court docket or visit to your local police station and BINGO - you would have known. And if someone DID come forward, you would have known immediately! But this was an isolated case, and yes, this man needs help. YOU are not helping him and YOU are not helping the family heal.

So riddle me this ... the next time you see a friend or neighbor who gets sloshed and then drives their kids to the local soccer field, will you be contacting the police? If you see a woman in her car with kids in the back texting while driving, will you follow her and take down the plate number to notify the authorities? No, you say? Why not? They are a danger to our society too - but oh, the difference is that you don't want to get involved, right? Perhaps YOU do it too but justify it.

But I would bet my life that if that woman got into an accident and killed someone, the message boards would light up and everyone would be pointing their self righteous fingers at them, probably even saying it served her right.

As Jesus reminds us ... don't try to take the splinter out of your neighbor's eye when you have a plank in your own.

“Veritas parit odum....”

Richmond, VA

#26 Oct 21, 2010
WhereGraceLives wrote:
Should he have been punished? Absolutely. Is his life ruined? Absolutely. Was he placed on the SO Registry, which is public knowledge? Yes. Did the police, school system,.........As Jesus reminds us ... don't try to take the splinter out of your neighbor's eye when you have a plank in your own.
Oh Jesus!!!
If someone is not an alcoholic, or drug user, or child molester... that does not make them perfect... but it makes them normal and not prone to criminal behavior.
Would I want this guy anywhere near my children ever? Hell no!
I am certain this is not an isolated incident. As you said, he has a disease or something... I am sure he did not just catch it 6 months ago.
How can any one ever defend this behavior and then quote the Jesus? I am more devout in my Atheism every day! Criminals need to be locked up. Period!
WhereGraceLives

Midlothian, VA

#27 Oct 21, 2010
Charles Groves wrote:
<quoted text>

How can any one ever defend this behavior and then quote the Jesus? I am more devout in my Atheism every day! Criminals need to be locked up. Period!
Boy ... you have this one down pat! Of course, you see what you want to see and read what you want to read. Show me how my post defended in any way his behavior?

Hmmmm ... not finding any part that you can quote? Well, that is because it doesn't exist.

I know your act ... go for the gut and the emotion - get the bandwagon behind you that will cheer you on. I know the MO, and have to say that you are rather good at it - but not the best.

Please re-read my post and instead of throwing out insults and innuendo, show me where you think I am going wrong and back up with facts. But, I know - that is hard because rarely are facts a concern in your posts.

People all over this world have problems, and some are worse than others. Some people can't control what they choose to do in society, and there are human consequences to those actions. Do I want this person in my life? Did I ever SAY I wanted this person in my life? Then don't twist your words to make it seem so.

But, chances are you already have your fingers on the red button and will not read my post again.(on the slight chance you decide to, I will help by saying to read the first sentence - it's pretty clear that I think he should have been punished).

I hope that your life never takes an unexpected turn and you need to seek the compassion of others. And you can twist and turn my words of my Savior all over the place too, for I have a God who knows me, and who gave us all grace, mercy, and compassion. He never has asked us to overlook the wrongdoings of another ... He will give someone over to their sickness or sin if they really want it more than they want Him. But He is always there, waiting for them to return.

I want to thank you for your words, as they only empower me to know that I am doing what is right. For we all have sinned, and we are all able to be redeemed through Christ, who died on the cross for us.

I hope you are able to see that, and I will certainly pray for you too, as I will for Mr. Curtis and for the families involved. We have a choice to help or to condemn, and unless I am perfect, I will always choose to help.

Thank you ....
childrenshouldbe warned

Charlottesville, VA

#28 Oct 21, 2010
JTR wrote:
It disgusts me that channel 6 ran this story, when clearly it was something that was a private matter and had NOTHING to do with the school system. But, everyone has to jump in on the trashing, when they should really look inside their own hearts. This report could only hurt the victim and his family - so why do it?
This is news worthy because children have the right to be safe. He does not have the right to prey on the innocent. Only an informed parent can tell their children the truth of why this guy vanished from the classroom last May. Only informed parents can instruct their children how to be safe if they see him. He is still in Chesterfield County. He is a danger to the community as are all SEX OFFENDERS. Rarely does a sex offender commit one crime and never offend again. We can forgive him and hope that he really seeks help, but I would never trust him around a child.
Mort

Mechanicsville, VA

#29 Oct 21, 2010
WhereGraceLives wrote:
Should he have been punished? Absolutely. Is his life ruined? Absolutely. Was he placed on the SO Registry, which is public knowledge? Yes. Did the police, school system, and family involved investigate and find this was an isolated incident? Yes. Does it make sense that a man who had a masters degree, a good career, a family, and was well respected in his community would decide to do such a horrible thing without there being an underlying problem? Probably not.
What I am floored at in reading all these posts is the lack of compassion everyone here has for an educated man who clearly made bad choices, and probably needs help! Did anyone who reported on this find out if he had been molested as a child? Did anyone bother to see if there are unresolved issues from his past? No - the conclusion is that he is a pedophile that should be castrated, beat up, and in jail because if he isn't locked up, it will lead to kidnap and murder (really? do you really believe that?)
So I can only gather that everyone here has NEVER dealt with alcoholism, drug addiction, sex addiction, or anything like that. Because you all are clearly perfect. These are diseases, and perhaps people should start thinking about how our society PROVOKES AND PROMOTES these behaviors, instead of deciding that castration is the answer without even knowing the FACTS!
Now I am waiting for the intelligent reply such as "you can't compare an alcholic to this". I can't? Go to an Alanon meeting and see if you feel the same way in the end!
The other side to it is this ... do you know what it does to the victim and their family? Do you think that bringing this all up 6 months later helps them? If it does, tell me, please! Yes - you DO have the right to know - and guess what? Anyone, at any time can go to the online registry and look to see WHO is in your neighborhood! You can see WHO is at a hotel and WHERE they work. You didn't need a 6 month old story to inform you, and perhaps if you were proactive or REALLY cared, then you would look each and every day. Heck, you can even put your email address in there and get a FREE NIGHTLY UPDATE delivered right to your inbox - Sex Offender Registry for Dummies!
Ok ... so you still have an argument. The school. "But we have a right to know when it involves a teacher". Again - correct. And as you know, he was placed immediately on leave and NEVER came back. No child in that time came to a parent and said that anything inappropriate happened. Nobody knew a thing - and yet, this was public knowledge. A quick check of the ole' court docket or visit to your local police station and BINGO - you would have known. And if someone DID come forward, you would have known immediately! But this was an isolated case, and yes, this man needs help. YOU are not helping him and YOU are not helping the family heal.
So riddle me this ... the next time you see a friend or neighbor who gets sloshed and then drives their kids to the local soccer field, will you be contacting the police? If you see a woman in her car with kids in the back texting while driving, will you follow her and take down the plate number to notify the authorities? No, you say? Why not? They are a danger to our society too - but oh, the difference is that you don't want to get involved, right? Perhaps YOU do it too but justify it.
But I would bet my life that if that woman got into an accident and killed someone, the message boards would light up and everyone would be pointing their self righteous fingers at them, probably even saying it served her right.
As Jesus reminds us ... don't try to take the splinter out of your neighbor's eye when you have a plank in your own.
yes he needs help to the afterlife.we have no tolerance for that crap here.
Mort

Mechanicsville, VA

#30 Oct 21, 2010
WhereGraceLives wrote:
my underlying problem is this perv got into school teaching because he knew he could advance his perverted agenda.the only life left for chester the molester is the afterlife.good luck with that.

“Veritas parit odum....”

Richmond, VA

#31 Oct 21, 2010
WhereGraceLives wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy ... you have this one down pat! Of course, you see what you want to see and read what you want to read. Show me how my post defended in any way his behavior?
Hmmmm ... not finding any part that you can quote? Well, that is because it doesn't exist.
I know your act ... go for the gut and the emotion - get the bandwagon behind you that will cheer you on. I know the MO, and have to say that you are rather good at it - but not the best.
Please re-read my post and instead of throwing out insults and innuendo, show me where you think I am going wrong and back up with facts. But, I know - that is hard because rarely are facts a concern in your posts.
People all over this world have problems, and some are worse than others. Some people can't control what they choose to do in society, and there are human consequences to those actions. Do I want this person in my life? Did I ever SAY I wanted this person in my life? Then don't twist your words to make it seem so.
But, chances are you already have your fingers on the red button and will not read my post again.(on the slight chance you decide to, I will help by saying to read the first sentence - it's pretty clear that I think he should have been punished).
I hope that your life never takes an unexpected turn and you need to seek the compassion of others. And you can twist and turn my words of my Savior all over the place too, for I have a God who knows me, and who gave us all grace, mercy, and compassion. He never has asked us to overlook the wrongdoings of another ... He will give someone over to their sickness or sin if they really want it more than they want Him. But He is always there, waiting for them to return.
I want to thank you for your words, as they only empower me to know that I am doing what is right. For we all have sinned, and we are all able to be redeemed through Christ, who died on the cross for us.
I hope you are able to see that, and I will certainly pray for you too, as I will for Mr. Curtis and for the families involved. We have a choice to help or to condemn, and unless I am perfect, I will always choose to help.
Thank you ....

You advocated compassion. That is enough to draw my ire. This person you advocate compassion for, removed himself from the human species upon becoming a pedophile. I do not know his story, do not care. Do you think that it is a coincidence that he became a school teacher? He is a pervert, and chemical castration is one of the more humane things that could occur. If he did this then there were doubtless other instances. And unless your God was the founder of NAMBLA, there is nothing more you can really have to say. not that i can imagine.
midlomom

Midlothian, VA

#32 Oct 21, 2010
the story only said he videotaped...it doesn't say he ever "touched" anyone...and how do you know this person wasn't doing something wrong that he was trying to catch them doing??? My goodness, there sure are ALOT of people ready to BLOW this story right up aren't there...
WhereGraceLives

Midlothian, VA

#33 Oct 21, 2010
Mort wrote:
<quoted text>my underlying problem is this perv got into school teaching because he knew he could advance his perverted agenda.the only life left for chester the molester is the afterlife.good luck with that.
Mort ... I have to ask this question of you ... how do you KNOW that this is why he got into teaching? How do you KNOW that he himself wasn't molested as a child, abused as a child, etc? This does NOT or in ANY WAY excuse what he did and YES, he SHOULD be punished and IS being punished! But if you dig a little deeper, you may just be WAY off track! Maybe, just maybe he got into teaching because he loved teaching ... and from all that I have heard, he was a very good teacher and never has any parent or student say anything different. Why can't he have serious issues that DID manifest itself in a horrific way, but have it not be the sole reason for existence in his life?

Humor me for a moment ...

Picture a young boy who has been molested by an adult male. He grows up with this horrible secret, thinking it was all his fault. He never gets help for it, and nobody cares to even notice he is hurting. Or, perhaps he comes from a completely broken family and at a young age develops a very unhealthy relationship with another male who makes him feel loved. Chances are, this guy is going to try real hard to be "normal" on the outside and may even do well for himself. But that turmoil inside never goes away. If left to fester, it can manifest itself in ways that are harmful to him, and worse, to other people.

So what if this is the story with Mr. Curtis? What if you knew him as a boy and your heart would break to know his story? As an adult, he tries and tries to keep these demons inside, but can't. Assuming you are a man, Mort, tell me how comfortable it would be for him to confide in someone that (a) he was molested or abused as a child and (b) has an attraction to older male teenagers? Yeah, right. He would be ostracized and humiliated faster than you could call WTVR to tell the story ... and by people that are exactly like those on this board.

One day he just implodes ... can't keep the secret but can't get the help. Doesn't know where to turn and everyone sees him as the most amazing teacher, friend, father, husband, son, nephew, etc ... but yet he KNOWS the demons that lurk inside. Do you see this horrific clash of the heart, soul, and mind setting up? So he falls deeper into despair, and yet the addiction grows and festers in these perfect conditions.

Anyone reading this who has EVER suffered from an addiction of ANY kind, can likely substitute their drugs/addictions of choice and situation. It is a lonely, frightening, horrible place to be.

There is NO WAY that Mr. Curtis shouldn't be punished. Had he gone to jail over this, it would have been just. His life, for all purpose, is ruined. And now, any compassion or understanding that MAY have been there before, is probably gone. And as long as people refuse to see that not every situation falls neatly into one box, society will shut him out and choose to not help him.

So I beg to differ with you Mort. I don't know that it is plausible that a man with his history, his work record, and all that we are learning of him leads me to the same conclusion it does for you.

I understand that I am not the most popular person here, and likely judged as harshly for my opinion, as if I committed the crime myself. But that is ok because I understand grace and compassion, as it has been extended to me at various times in my life.

Thank you for listening ... and understand that I wanted him punished, and he has been.
Honesty

Hopewell, VA

#34 Oct 21, 2010
WOW! Where Grace Lives.....this guy was secretly recording this minor child in the bathroom. Now, I'm glad my daughters were safe from this creep but imagine how easy it was for him to walk around a school. Going in and out of bathrooms, locker rooms and anywhere else and record. They're not even mentioning where he was downloading the files. Then arrive at the horror of the kid finding the phone, his life could have been potentially in danger. What if this deranged 'teacher' would have done anything not to be brought to justice. Luckily the kid got away. And you are somehow trying to defend him. Greg from Central VA do not let me find out that you play name is Grace!!!
WhereGraceLives

Midlothian, VA

#35 Oct 21, 2010
Honesty wrote:
WOW! And you are somehow trying to defend him. Greg from Central VA do not let me find out that you play name is Grace!!!
Again ... where am I defending him? I am only saying that breeding hatred and encouraging violence or physical harm doesn't solve anything! I am saying that he DESERVED TO BE PUNISHED AND HE WAS!

And why doesn't anyone see that maybe, just maybe, the family wants this to go away and these news stories, many months later, only keeps it going????

So glad that everyone here is perfect. Not sure what happened to me - but I am FAR from it!

“Veritas parit odum....”

Richmond, VA

#36 Oct 21, 2010
WhereGraceLives wrote:
<quoted text>
Again ... where am I defending him? I am only saying that breeding hatred and encouraging violence or physical harm doesn't solve anything! I am saying that he DESERVED TO BE PUNISHED AND HE WAS!
And why doesn't anyone see that maybe, just maybe, the family wants this to go away and these news stories, many months later, only keeps it going????
So glad that everyone here is perfect. Not sure what happened to me - but I am FAR from it!
The sentence was suspended! That is inexcusable behaviour from our courts!

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#37 Oct 21, 2010
WhereGraceLives wrote:
What I am floored at in reading all these posts is the lack of compassion everyone here has for an educated man who clearly made bad choices, and probably needs help!
Compassion is for those that deserve it. He doesn't.
Mort

Providence Forge, VA

#38 Oct 30, 2010
WhereGraceLives wrote:
<quoted text>
our legal system is very flawed.harsher public punishments are needed to deter these types of crimes.if a person will still commit the act knowing severe penalties will put them in the spotlight as a deviant there you have a real nut.
reality or misconception

Hopewell, VA

#39 Oct 30, 2010
Mort wrote:
<quoted text>our legal system is very flawed.harsher public punishments are needed to deter these types of crimes.if a person will still commit the act knowing severe penalties will put them in the spotlight as a deviant there you have a real nut.
When the attorney general doesn't see the need to make sexual predators a priority on his wish lists, tougher sentences are a long ways off. People commit crimes all of the time, while knowing of the harsher sentences
Glen Allen

Richmond, VA

#40 Oct 30, 2010
So he admits to doing this and has no time to serve? This was a sick crime that must have been directed specifically for this victim. As long as this guy is free, the victim will not be. If this creep wanted to look at pictures, or video, even live video, of naked young people, there are plenty of websites he could have visited where people are filmed because they want to be.

I say let him out free, but remove his arms and legs so that he can no longer be a threat to society. We cannot fix people like him, and their sickness is known to get worse, not better. He will do this, and worse, again.
reality or misconception

Hopewell, VA

#41 Oct 30, 2010
Glen Allen wrote:
So he admits to doing this and has no time to serve? This was a sick crime that must have been directed specifically for this victim. As long as this guy is free, the victim will not be. If this creep wanted to look at pictures, or video, even live video, of naked young people, there are plenty of websites he could have visited where people are filmed because they want to be.
I say let him out free, but remove his arms and legs so that he can no longer be a threat to society. We cannot fix people like him, and their sickness is known to get worse, not better. He will do this, and worse, again.
A minor doesn't have the ability to want to be filmed or recorded. That's called child pornography and is still illegal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dirty Secret Affects Every Phone User 13 hr One way or another 2
Review: Golden Goat (Aug '10) Dec 24 Spylock 30
Citizens fight back against criminal robbing dr... (May '12) Dec 23 NYC2VA 9
Mr. Cheney--You Are a Piece of C--P Part 1 Dec 23 skru 2
Local Gay Rights Advocates Fight Controversial ... Dec 22 My eyes 5
Gang stalking and psychological harassment in R... Dec 21 Sup 8
One Dead, One in Custody after Broad Street Sta... (Oct '09) Dec 19 melody colombus 23
Chesterfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chesterfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chesterfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chesterfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:09 pm PST