MADDMom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2006

The woman arrested in Tuesday's hit-and-run death of a South Richmond hotel worker spent several years in a Tennessee prison for the 2001 killing of a 13-year-old girl, authorities said yesterday.

Kelly Dinelle Payne, 33, pleaded guilty in May 2002 to vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of an accident in the July 29, 2001, death of 13-year-old Elizabeth Rose Melton of Jackson, Tenn.

A Circuit Court judge sentenced her to five years for the homicide charge and two years for leaving the scene of an accident, and she was released last October, according to the Madison County, Tenn., Sheriff's Office.

Richmond police have identified Payne as the driver of a white Ford pickup truck that ran down hotel worker Ashokkumar M. Patel, 51, as he was walking home Tuesday afternoon along a grass median between Midlothian Turnpike and the northbound ramp entrance to Chippenham Parkway.

Police officials said Payne will be charged with second-degree murder and felony hit-and-run in Patel's death. Officials said she also will be charged with felony hit-and-run for fleeing the scene of a 4 p.m. wreck in the 6700 block of Midlothian Turnpike, which occurred moments before she allegedly crossed three lanes of traffic to get to the ramp and struck Patel.

Chesterfield police arrested Payne about four hours later in a Minute Mart after seeing her truck parked across the street, near Winterfield Road and Midlothian Turnpike.

Capt. Hal Moser said Payne was charged by Chesterfield police with driving under the influence and another hit-and-run charge, accusing her of backing into another vehicle at a BP gas station near Koger Center Boulevard and Huguenot Road. She is due in Chesterfield General District Court on those charges on May 25.

Officials did not release the results of Payne's breathalyzer test after her arrest Tuesday night. Back in 2001, when Payne surrendered to the Madison County Sheriff's Office eight hours after the hit-and-run death of the Tennessee teen, her blood alcohol level was .07 percent. The legal limit in Tennessee and Virginia is .08 percent.

Payne was declared a habitual offender in 1992 after a driving-while-intoxicated conviction in Albemarle County. She also had prior offenses in 1991 for speeding in Orange County, Va., and for driving with a revoked or suspended license in 1991 in Charlottesville.

They described him as a warm and generous man who came to the United States around eight years ago from Ahmedabad, a city in the Gujarat province of western India, not far from Mumbai.

"It's a big loss today," said Rajesh Patel, the owner of the Days Inn on the 6900 block of Midlothian Turnpike where Ashokkumar had worked for 15 months in housekeeping and the laundry room.

"He was a very good person. He showed up every single day, rain or shine. Wherever you needed him to be, he was there."

This afternoon, family and hotel workers will hold a memorial service for Patel as prosecutors in Richmond prepare their case against Payne.

"He just enjoyed his life and was so happy in mood," said Mina Patel, choking back tears. "He just wanted to be happy and work in America."

Did you see Kelly Payne's mug shot?
Would you be smiling after just committing your second vehicular homicide?
Fellow Teen

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2006

Judged:

She was an idiot!! i saw that in the paper!! She must have been drunk when they took the picture too! "your going to be arrested for vehicular homicide!"
"Great! I hope I look good in my picture!!"
Heaven can wait

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2006

Judged:

I bet her father was or is a preacher, they are usually the girls who are the wildest and party the most. Mostly because they have been restricted all their teen life. They also know that what ever they do all they have to ask is for forgiveness. If God will forgive her sins I guess we as mere mortals should also. Blame the parents !
DrunkAgainstMadd Mothers

Bowling Green, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2006

Judged:

Kelly is a wonderful person. She is very loving and caring and she absolutely feels horrible for what happened. She has a few problem, drinking being one of them. However she is a good woman and has a good heart. She will pay for what she did, but lets let the courts decide her fate and not try her in the media. As far as the MADDMOM goes, you obviously don't know how the media puts a spin on things.That is pretty messed up that you posted that whole article however it doesn't tell you the fact that the man she hit was an illegal immigrant. I mean I am not making any excuses for Kelly but the guy she hit shouldn't have even been walking down the road to begin with. He should have been back in India where he belonged. If our borders were a little more secure she wouldn't have hit anyone. SO why blame her when we should blame our border agents who let this guy in? Seriously she was in the wrong but I don't feel that she should be charged with murder on someone who shouldn't even have been in the country. Maybe for the hit and run or for the dui but the murder charge should be thrown out the window.
VICTIM

Lake Villa, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2006

Judged:

DrunkAgainstMaddMothers wrote:
Kelly is a wonderful person. She is very loving and caring and she absolutely feels horrible for what happened. She has a few problem, drinking being one of them. However she is a good woman and has a good heart. She will pay for what she did, but lets let the courts decide her fate and not try her in the media. As far as the MADDMOM goes, you obviously don't know how the media puts a spin on things.That is pretty messed up that you posted that whole article however it doesn't tell you the fact that the man she hit was an illegal immigrant. I mean I am not making any excuses for Kelly but the guy she hit shouldn't have even been walking down the road to begin with. He should have been back in India where he belonged. If our borders were a little more secure she wouldn't have hit anyone. SO why blame her when we should blame our border agents who let this guy in? Seriously she was in the wrong but I don't feel that she should be charged with murder on someone who shouldn't even have been in the country. Maybe for the hit and run or for the dui but the murder charge should be thrown out the window.
A bit late, but better than never. I was searching for info. about Ms. Payne and I came upon this site.

My name is Neil Patel.....and Ashok was my maternal uncle....he was not an illegal immigrant. He came to this country with a valid immigrant visa and greencard. He was walking home from work. He was almost 20ft away from the sidewalk near the hotel property. He was walking in the lawn and your "wonderful" Ms. Payne just felt it necessary, in her WILLINGLY DRUNKEN STATE, to hit and kill my uncle just like she did that little girl a few years back.

so to you I say...... If she is such a kind hearted women, why did she not feel it necessary to quit drinking even after murdering an innocent child.
David Smith

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2006

Judged:

NO NAME wrote:
<quoted text>I can't believe what I am reading in your post, everything you have written is totally horrendous!how can anyone in their right mind even try to justify what this drunken sow of a bimbo has done in her life? Why don't we all get drunk and run down all the pedestrians we can,then take off and feel horrible about it, sorry,but this drunken bitch deserves a lethal injection so she doesn't murder again!
You are an idiot. The 13 year old girl that that drunk KILLED in Jackson TN was my niece. She hit her multiple times before leaving the scene. If she felt bad enough about what she did then she would not have KILLED Mr. Patel. I hope she never see's the light of day again. And with your biggoted attitued you should be locked up with her.
No Name

Chester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2006

Judged:

Your an idiot, I wish it was you that got hit and killed back in 2001, she didn't hit her multiple times, but if her parents had kept better care of her and not let her play in the streets, this may not have happened. And for Patel, that's just one less illegal here in the states that the rest of us have to support. If Bush will not do anything about the problem at least Kelly will. Have a great day!
David Smith

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2006

Judged:

No Name wrote:
Your an idiot, I wish it was you that got hit and killed back in 2001, she didn't hit her multiple times, but if her parents had kept better care of her and not let her play in the streets, this may not have happened. And for Patel, that's just one less illegal here in the states that the rest of us have to support. If Bush will not do anything about the problem at least Kelly will. Have a great day!
Who are you that you know her so well. Are you her idiot boyfriend that gave a drunk a truck? So that you will know the facts of the night Rose Melton was killed by Kelly Payne. Rose was standing on the side of the road across from her friends house where they were planning a sleep over. Her friend was with her. THERE WAS A WITNESS!!!! Ms. Payne swerved off the road and hit Rose. This impact threw Rose several feet into the air. She then landed in the road and Kelly Payne ran over her as she fled. This impact drug Rose's body several feet. The police have told us that she then fled to her home where she drank some more! Incredibly this was what allowed her to plead a lesser charge since by drinking after she killed Rose, it could not be determined what her blood alcohol would have been 8 hours earlier when she left a 12yr old child to die in the street. The girls were not "playing in the street" as you so heartlessly phrased it. They were simply on their way to a sleep over to have a good time. Kelly Payne however was behind the wheel of a car after a long night of bar hopping which was also found to be true after police investigation. So you see, you have obviously been misinformed about the TRUE facts of Rose Melton's death. Ms. Payne is now a serial killer. May God have mercy on your heartless soul and forgive your oh so heartless comments about two innocent victims that had Kelly Payne not chosen to drive drunk would be with their family today. I hope Kelly serves all 46 years of this conviction.
Amy Bingham

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2006

No! She is not a wonderful person. Wonderful people do not kill people for the sport of it. This woman if you can call her that. She has KILLED 2 people in 6 years. She KILLED Rose Milton and left to die. She didn't even call 911, she just left this poor child to DIE, and has not looked back since.
What is sad is that the people of Virgina will have to pay for her sorry ass to be in jail. It's sad she could not get what she gave to Rose.
missvick

Madison Heights, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2006

Ive never seen so many stupid comments. Mr. Patel was LEGAL & he was a producitve member of this community. He went to work every day. Im almost willing to be that Kelly didnt have a job. It wouldnt matter if he was legal or illegal, it matters that someone got behind a wheel & killed innocent people. She needs to be locked up just to protect the community.
alisha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2007

No Name wrote:
I'm sorry but if you had known Rose and fully read the article then you would have known that a friend and her were walking to go to her house. Rose wouldn't just play in the street. It's stupid and my friend was not raised to be a lunatic. Where's your respect for the dead. And for the man, he was a human being, a living and breathing person. If you can't respect that fact then you shouldn't be aloud t live either. You should be ashamed of yourself.
confussed

Merrylands, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

DrunkAgainstMaddMothers wrote:
How is Kelly wonderful person?
Was the 13 year old an illigal immigrant as well or was she just too slow to get out of a drunk womans way.
So what if he was an illigal immigrant, is he less of a life if he wasn't meant to be in that country.
People who drive under the influence of alcohole and taking our loved ones lives should be strung up.
If Kelly is such a wonderful person she should hand over her licence and never drive on roads being used by the public ever.
It makes me sick to think she not only done it once but was given the opportunity to do it again.
confussed

Merrylands, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

Judged:

No Name wrote:
You are discusting.
How dare you judge.
And as far as MR BUSH goes, maybe we should just put the two of you together on a pathway, give kelly a few drinks, give her the keys(she can even drive my car)and point her in the right direction. YOU.
It would solve a few problems.
American Girl

Shepherdstown, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

No Name wrote:
Hmm, I have to wonder how your parents raised you to make comments like that. I was living in Richmond when Mr. Patel was killed and wondered how this case was resolved - I saw on another site that Ms. Payne got 46 years in the slammer. Sounds like justice served to me - good riddance. My sympathies go out to the families of her victims.
PAH

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2008

I went to school with Kelly, she was a preachers daughter and always wild
Rose Melton Sister

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

For those of you that have taken up for my sister I truley appreciate it. David Smith....I did not realize how much you cared...Jamie is lucky to have you....For those of you that applaud what Kelly did to my sister and Mr. Patel...judgement day is comming....you need to figure out where it is you want to be...how would you feel if it were your child, father, sister, brother, or any other close family member for that matter....Now for the facts on what happened that night since not very many people know what really happened...Rose was 13 years old. She was very independant and responsible. She had been walking to her friends house for several years before this murder occured. That evening me, my mother, and my mothers ex-husband were working. Rose was staying with her friend for the night, which was not uncommon. As she and her friend were walking to her friends house...crossing the street in fact...Kelly came speeding down Christmasville Road doing at least 60 mph. Her friend was crossing the street first...Rose saw the car and shoved her friend and the buggy that carried their two pregnant dogs across the strret. At that moment Kelly hit Rose throwing her about 20 yards and slammed on her brakes. Rose's friend began screaming "You hit my friend!" Kelly immediatly slammed the gas pedal and ran over Rose dragging her another 50 yards or so. Roses flesh and blood were still on her hood. Rose's friends mother and Rose's botfriend heard the screaming and ran outside to find Rose on the street bleeding and gasping for breath. They cradled her in their arms until ambulances arrived. Five minutes later my family was on their way home when we were stopped by the police due to a traffic jam, we were informed that a little girl had been killed not five minutes earlier....I knew in my heart that the little girl was my sister. Our house was only a block away from the scene of the murder. Kelly lived less then a block away and heard the ambulance. She knew she had hit someone because she called several people to ask what she should do. She turned herswelf in only after hearing my sister was dead 8 hours later on the news. My family and I rushed to our house to find a note on the door written by my one time friend "Rose has been in an accident and it is bad." I ran down the strret to the scene of the hit and run just as the ambulance was leaving with my sister inside. My mother and step-father picked me up and we rushed to the hospital. The docotrs had us waiting in a small room for 3 hours. Only when I began raising hell did they finally tell us, "The injuries were so severe, and we tried so hard to save her, Rose died 30 minutes after arriving to the hospital." Since they had tried so hard to save her they destroyed any chance of donating her organs. My entire family though it was a man that had hit her, not thinking that a woman could be so careless about the life of a child. When we discovered it was a woman we were all in shock. On the day of Kelly's sentancing...she showed absolutly no remorse for what she had done...there were no appologies made to our family.
Brandi Smith

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

Judged:

I Loved Rose Dearly And She Was The Greatest Frind To Have... She Always Laugh & smiled when i seen her.. keely deserves to hang && be dead. she took the life of a innocent beautiful girl who was dearly loved by her friends and family and excuse my french.,, but that bitch took it all away from her. she gets what all comes to her. plus she has killed people before. she deserves the death pen.. and that is it. i love and miss you rose melton. lots of love too you family.
Rose Melton Sister wrote:
For those of you that have taken up for my sister I truley appreciate it. David Smith....I did not realize how much you cared...Jamie is lucky to have you....For those of you that applaud what Kelly did to my sister and Mr. Patel...judgement day is comming....you need to figure out where it is you want to be...how would you feel if it were your child, father, sister, brother, or any other close family member for that matter....Now for the facts on what happened that night since not very many people know what really happened...Rose was 13 years old. She was very independant and responsible. She had been walking to her friends house for several years before this murder occured. That evening me, my mother, and my mothers ex-husband were working. Rose was staying with her friend for the night, which was not uncommon. As she and her friend were walking to her friends house...crossing the street in fact...Kelly came speeding down Christmasville Road doing at least 60 mph. Her friend was crossing the street first...Rose saw the car and shoved her friend and the buggy that carried their two pregnant dogs across the strret. At that moment Kelly hit Rose throwing her about 20 yards and slammed on her brakes. Rose's friend began screaming "You hit my friend!" Kelly immediatly slammed the gas pedal and ran over Rose dragging her another 50 yards or so. Roses flesh and blood were still on her hood. Rose's friends mother and Rose's botfriend heard the screaming and ran outside to find Rose on the street bleeding and gasping for breath. They cradled her in their arms until ambulances arrived. Five minutes later my family was on their way home when we were stopped by the police due to a traffic jam, we were informed that a little girl had been killed not five minutes earlier....I knew in my heart that the little girl was my sister. Our house was only a block away from the scene of the murder. Kelly lived less then a block away and heard the ambulance. She knew she had hit someone because she called several people to ask what she should do. She turned herswelf in only after hearing my sister was dead 8 hours later on the news. My family and I rushed to our house to find a note on the door written by my one time friend "Rose has been in an accident and it is bad." I ran down the strret to the scene of the hit and run just as the ambulance was leaving with my sister inside. My mother and step-father picked me up and we rushed to the hospital. The docotrs had us waiting in a small room for 3 hours. Only when I began raising hell did they finally tell us, "The injuries were so severe, and we tried so hard to save her, Rose died 30 minutes after arriving to the hospital." Since they had tried so hard to save her they destroyed any chance of donating her organs. My entire family though it was a man that had hit her, not thinking that a woman could be so careless about the life of a child. When we discovered it was a woman we were all in shock. On the day of Kelly's sentancing...she showed absolutly no remorse for what she had done...there were no appologies made to our family.
marilynn riggs

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2009

she is a dumd idiot rose meant alot to everyone she spent alot of time at my house my little sister was the one with rose the night she was murdered and she hurts so much from the pain of losing her bestfriend this woman should not be able to come out of jail she took two lives i dont think she will ever learn her lesson if so she wouldnt be back in there on a second murder she will get whats coming to her god works in mysterious ways and when you least expect it !!!!!!!!!!1
Alisha Wilkins

Lexington, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2010

marilynn riggs wrote:
she is a dumd idiot rose meant alot to everyone she spent alot of time at my house my little sister was the one with rose the night she was murdered and she hurts so much from the pain of losing her bestfriend this woman should not be able to come out of jail she took two lives i dont think she will ever learn her lesson if so she wouldnt be back in there on a second murder she will get whats coming to her god works in mysterious ways and when you least expect it !!!!!!!!!!1
Rose was one of my best friends. I've been to this site several times over the years, and have repeated felt the pain of missing my best friend. I grew up with Rose and her sister Nicole and her mother Missy who I still try to see when I am around her work. I miss them all very much and especially Rose. No one can take her place in my heart. My parents attended the funeral for me since I was out of the state. Missy/Nicole if either of you happen to read this, I know I have asked a million times but I have never had the chance to find where she was buried and I would desperately like to know. I have tried unsuccesfully over the years to see if I could research and find it rather than bother you all for the location just one more time. I hope you are all doing as well as can be, and I want you to know even though it's been eight years, Rose, Nicole, Missy, and Matthew you are all still in my prayers. I love you all and miss you.
stephanie

Atwood, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2010

VICTIM wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit late, but better than never. I was searching for info. about Ms. Payne and I came upon this site.
My name is Neil Patel.....and Ashok was my maternal uncle....he was not an illegal immigrant. He came to this country with a valid immigrant visa and greencard. He was walking home from work. He was almost 20ft away from the sidewalk near the hotel property. He was walking in the lawn and your "wonderful" Ms. Payne just felt it necessary, in her WILLINGLY DRUNKEN STATE, to hit and kill my uncle just like she did that little girl a few years back.
so to you I say...... If she is such a kind hearted women, why did she not feel it necessary to quit drinking even after murdering an innocent child.
maybe if she would have gotten in trouble for killing rose shed still be in prison for killing someone else

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of54
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chesterfield Discussions

Search the Chesterfield Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
More than 100 Hampton police officers want back... 7 hr Doug 12
Latest on James River coal bankruptcy 8 hr Curious 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) 21 hr Hoolio 2,539
4 Billion dollars Thu Ludwig 1
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) Wed barefoot2626 11,387
Betsy Willoughby Jul 9 Hmm 1
Review: Golden Goat (Aug '10) Jul 9 Dont do it 29
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chesterfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••