Confederate flag replaces Obama sign

Confederate flag replaces Obama sign

There are 44 comments on the WAVY-TV Portsmouth story from Oct 21, 2008, titled Confederate flag replaces Obama sign. In it, WAVY-TV Portsmouth reports that:

Chesterfield County police are investigating the theft of a resident's campaign sign supporting Barack Obama's historic bid for the presidency.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAVY-TV Portsmouth.

HOMIE

Johnson City, NY

#22 Nov 18, 2008
gooneygoogoo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure we have done that for 400 years or more. What is it that inflames the flannel wearing citizens??
This is a victory for blacks who have been waiting for years. This triumph says we are capable and want what is rightfully ours.
Now, there will be white maids in washington.
Is this what upsets the racists on this forum.
WATERMELON AND FRIED CHICKEN JOKES are not welcome.
The black man triumped when we let you out of your cages to shine our shoes, mow our lawns and let us make love to your sisters and mothers. But the real Victory was when KFC had the 16 piece for $8.99.
HOMIE

Johnson City, NY

#23 Nov 18, 2008
Is it true that the Chicken will soon be the National Bird?
gooneygoogoo

Portsmouth, VA

#24 Nov 19, 2008
FRANK wrote:
Tim Kaine said Old Virginny is dead.
Yeah boy. Now I'm lovin' a word thats got "Virgin" and "Gin" in it at the same time!!I'm all about that! Obama si in and the flannel wearing right is going to face the heat.
Porter

Virginia Beach, VA

#25 Nov 25, 2008
gooneygoogoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah boy. Now I'm lovin' a word thats got "Virgin" and "Gin" in it at the same time!!I'm all about that! Obama si in and the flannel wearing right is going to face the heat.
Black Americans continued to hold slaves through the Civil War. In 1860, some 3,000 blacks owned nearly 20,000 black slaves. In South Carolina alone, more than 10,000 blacks were owned by black slaveholders.

Born a slave in 1790, William Ellison owned 63 slaves by 1860, making him one of Charleston's leading slaveholders. In the 1850 census for Charleston City, the port of Charleston, there were 68 black men and 123 black women who owned slaves. In Louisiana's St. Landry Parish, according to the 1860 census, black planter Auguste Donatto owned 70 slaves and farmed 500 acres of cotton fields.

Black slaveholders were the exception to the rule, but so, too, were white ones. Only a small minority of Southern whites owned slaves, little more than five percent of the white population if calculated by individual owner, or some 20 to 25 percent if all the members of the slaveowners' families are included. This means that 75 percent or more of Southerners neither owned slaves themselves nor were members of families who did.

Records show that one of Obama's great-great-great-great-great- grandmothers, Mary Duvall, also owned two slaves, a 60-year-old black man and a 58-year-old black woman.

Though only 25% of the colonial population owned slaves, slavery factored heavily in the economy of all the British North American colonies, and not just in the plantation economy of the South. While many southerners found slavery morally repugnant, there was a clear business rationale: in the long run, it was cheaper to acquire Africans than to hire laborers. The North also profited immensely from the international trade in Africans. Its booming industries -- shipbuilding, sail making, iron foundries, sawmills, and rum distilleries -- were an integral part of the trading triangle between Europe, Africa, and North America.

Slavery flourished in pockets of the North, especially in the farming regions of New York and New Jersey. Rhode Island -- the summer residence for many southern planters -- had several large slave estates. Most northern whites ran family farms and did not own slaves, but those who did typically possessed 3 to 4 Africans. Sixty-one percent of all American slaves -- nearly 145,000 -- lived in Virginia and Maryland, working the tobacco fields in small to medium-sized gangs. Planters who owned hundreds of slaves often divided them among several plantations. In the North and the Upper South, masters and bondpeople lived close to each other.

The South Carolina and Georgia coastal rice belt had a slave population of 40,000. Because rice requires precise irrigation and a large, coordinated labor force, enslaved people lived and worked in larger groups. Plantation owners lived in towns like Charleston or Savannah and employed white overseers to manage their far-flung estates. Overseers assigned a task in the morning, and slaves tended to their own needs when the assigned work was completed. The region was atypical because of its more flexible work schedules and more isolated and independent slave culture.

After 1750 increasing numbers of African Americans found their way to freedom -- either by buying themselves, running away, or being emancipated by their masters. These free blacks emerged as leaders and recognized spokespersons for their race.

Get your facts right!
PORTER

Portsmouth, VA

#27 Nov 26, 2008
gooneygoogoo wrote:
<quoted text>
This rightwing fabrication has already been posted, Duh. This is more haterade for the flannel mafia and haters. Make up all that you want.We were plucked from Africa based on the size of our genitalia. Oe of the final paybacks is that we entertain so many white women due to our sexual prowess, Jealous.
When Confronted with the truth, you cower like a fool and believe your genitalia will save you. What a loser.
FastDriverVA

Montgomery, AL

#28 Nov 26, 2008
I'm just curious as to many of the people in this thread have actually been SLAVES?? I'm pretty sure not one of you!! So can we leave all the slave stuff in the past. We ALL have to work for a living to eat and pay bills and what not. To all the lazy people WHITE AND BLACK get off your butt and get a job so that my taxes can go to something useful besides ignorant people who just want a handout or something for nothing!
gooneygoogoo

Portsmouth, VA

#30 Nov 26, 2008
FastDriverVA wrote:
I'm just curious as to many of the people in this thread have actually been SLAVES?? I'm pretty sure not one of you!! So can we leave all the slave stuff in the past. We ALL have to work for a living to eat and pay bills and what not. To all the lazy people WHITE AND BLACK get off your butt and get a job so that my taxes can go to something useful besides ignorant people who just want a handout or something for nothing!
Yes, there are numerous lazy whites that have contributed to these problems and agree with you on that.

As far as the intolerant post before yours, it has been proven that black men are much larger. It is hereditary because the white man picked the well hung in hopes of getting more of that free labor that your ancestors know so well. It backfired because all white women got "jungle fever".They still can't get over that.
Truth

Ashburn, VA

#31 Nov 26, 2008
gooneygoogoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there are numerous lazy whites that have contributed to these problems and agree with you on that.
As far as the intolerant post before yours, it has been proven that black men are much larger. It is hereditary because the white man picked the well hung in hopes of getting more of that free labor that your ancestors know so well. It backfired because all white women got "jungle fever".They still can't get over that.
And you wear your pants saggin and low, NOT because the pants are saggin on your well hung, but because your gay - if you don't believe me spell "saggin" backwards.
David

Rich Square, NC

#32 Nov 27, 2008
Gooney, please grow up and get a life.
gooneygoogoo

Portsmouth, VA

#33 Nov 27, 2008
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
And you wear your pants saggin and low, NOT because the pants are saggin on your well hung, but because your gay - if you don't believe me spell "saggin" backwards.
You have told that joke about ten times and it wasn't funny the first time.

It's obvious that you aren't familiar with the code of the streets. When you leave your highschool parking lot, you should go to the library and read about the civil rights movement. You will learn something positive. Maybe you will be enlightened. The flannel shirt mafia can be dense most of the time.
I was Stereotyped

Portsmouth, VA

#34 Dec 2, 2008
gooneygoogoo wrote:
<quoted text>
You have told that joke about ten times and it wasn't funny the first time.
It's obvious that you aren't familiar with the code of the streets. When you leave your highschool parking lot, you should go to the library and read about the civil rights movement. You will learn something positive. Maybe you will be enlightened. The flannel shirt mafia can be dense most of the time.
I'll wear a flannel shirt, IF you wear saggin pants!!! You could learn something positive that ALL white people are not the same and ALL black people are not the same! There are hateful, rascist, bigots running loose on this website - like yourself.
gooneygoogoo

Portsmouth, VA

#35 Dec 2, 2008
I was Stereotyped wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll wear a flannel shirt, IF you wear saggin pants!!! You could learn something positive that ALL white people are not the same and ALL black people are not the same! There are hateful, rascist, bigots running loose on this website - like yourself.
I am a hater, bigot, and racist. I hate all white people and have posted numerous boast on how large my genitals are. When in truth, I am trying to enlarge my deflated ego, because I have a small penis! So, if I offended anyone I am truly sorry for my behavior and someday I will get my GED, so I too can spell properly.
gooneygoogoo

Portsmouth, VA

#36 Dec 3, 2008
I was Stereotyped wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I am the victim here. Just read some of the responses to a pro-african american post. Threats of vilence and name calling are what I receive for trying to express my view. There is a cetain clique here that controls and suppresses my freedom of expression rights.
TJT

Surry, VA

#37 Dec 3, 2008
Maybe now is a good time for another civil war. Obama is a racist, zealot who will do nothing but throw this country into widespread turmoil.
Excop

Virginia Beach, VA

#38 Dec 3, 2008
Racism is alive and well. The confederate flag is a disgrace to the human race!
gooneygoogoo

Portsmouth, VA

#39 Dec 4, 2008
Excop wrote:
Racism is alive and well. The confederate flag is a disgrace to the human race!
Yes, and the police are the primary enforcers of these racist laws.

“A mask to hear the truth !”

Since: Sep 08

Kitty Hawk, NC

#40 Jan 6, 2009

The confederate flag is not a disgrace! I love hearing that my great-great-great-great father died for nothing. And for all you idiots out there the civil war was not initiated because of slavery. It was because the south wanted to succeed from the north, racism may have helped it along but it was not the sole cause.

Kitty Hawk, NC

#41 Jan 11, 2009
grow up everyone
trob

United States

#42 Jan 15, 2009
I have to agree with some some posts and disagree on another. No, I was not a slave but my mother and grandmother went through more crap than I did, so my generation should not be complaning. However, as an educated black woman holding a masters in African Studies and a working on my PHD in Global Affairs, I can tell you the people I work with more so white than black do not like me....I know why too...now don't get me wrong, they aren't nasty to me persay, but it's almost like they are FORCED to be polite.
Secondly, these history books are children reading is a LIE. Abraham Lincoln did not give a damn about us. He did not free blacks. The biggest lie ever told in American History.
Third, the civil war was not just about slavery. It was such a small portion of it, I cant believe it was blown up like that. I hope my fellow sisters and brothers you do not believe the North was the ticket to freedom...but oh quite the opposite. Being orginally from Detroit, I was taught that that was one of the many places that kept blacks from fleeing to Canada! It was about money and power just like any other war.
Give me a break people. Whether you are black or white, SEEK THE REAL TRUTH.

Kitty Hawk, NC

#44 Jan 15, 2009
trob wrote:
I have to agree with some some posts and disagree on another. No, I was not a slave but my mother and grandmother went through more crap than I did, so my generation should not be complaning. However, as an educated black woman holding a masters in African Studies and a working on my PHD in Global Affairs, I can tell you the people I work with more so white than black do not like me....I know why too...now don't get me wrong, they aren't nasty to me persay, but it's almost like they are FORCED to be polite.
Secondly, these history books are children reading is a LIE. Abraham Lincoln did not give a damn about us. He did not free blacks. The biggest lie ever told in American History.
Third, the civil war was not just about slavery. It was such a small portion of it, I cant believe it was blown up like that. I hope my fellow sisters and brothers you do not believe the North was the ticket to freedom...but oh quite the opposite. Being orginally from Detroit, I was taught that that was one of the many places that kept blacks from fleeing to Canada! It was about money and power just like any other war.
Give me a break people. Whether you are black or white, SEEK THE REAL TRUTH.
I am white and only 27! I was taught in school that Lincoln had freed the slaves, what a crock imagine my surprise when I did my research. Everything you are taught in school is not the gospel! I treat everyone the same, If you treat me with respect then you get respect.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will Republicans now impeach Obama? (Nov '10) 10 hr Meow Meow Meow 178
Whitney Bsharah Wed Truth 2
News Semi-Literate Mayor Of Bankrupt City Denounces ... Wed bulk 13
Dangers of Autism in Children through GMO Foods Wed Concerned Citizen 1
white power Wed Black Lives Suck 1
important information on voter fraud and bill c... Aug 22 Concerned Citizen 1
Bernie Sanders/Never Hillary Aug 20 nco 1

Chesterfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance