The CNA in the LTC setting
dee

Hopewell, VA

#22 Dec 21, 2011
RN WONDERING wrote:
4. Why do the management tolerate this behavior when it is apparent by the MDS, providing that nurse is, in reality doing their job satisfactorily, is aware of the increase in the acuity of the Resident. Then the blame for the fall or other injury falls on the charge, and not the CNA, who is deliberately delinquent in their behaviors, not caring for the ones that they are assigned to care for.
5. Why does the corporate not make the LTC facility a primary care setting. Myself, having had to, on many occasions, seek and search for the CNA, only to find them outside smoking, write them up for all having been off the floor during peak periods, giving it to the DON, and nothing done to alleviate the ongoing issue at hand? Why, answer me that CNA!!?
6. Why, DON, ADON, Administrator, do you put up with this behavior, knowing that it drives up costs, aggravates the Doctor and the Residents families, give some sorry platitude for the incident, placing the blame on the charge nurse, knowing that their med passes are so heavy that they cannot accurately watch these indolent pieces of protoplasm misuse corporate monies on their pay, forcing the Resident to pay more.
7. Why, in the face of this behavior pattern, do you even bother to employ other disciplines, such as therapists and rehab people to do a five minute rehab session and know that any possible positive effects will be gone by the sundown. Why?
8. It is a sorry state of affairs when, due to the lack of accountability, hang the poor hardworking nurse out to dry for the inattention of the morbidly obese CNA, who, with only one Hoyer lift in the house makes the resident sit in an uncomfortable wheelchair all the day long, because they choose not to work as a team. Is this not supposed to be a team approach you employ,
Conclusion for the day:
A. The job of the ADON should be an afternoon job and have the authority to put the ineffective employee out on the street for three days, then come back and see what changes in behavior can be made in order for them to keep their job.
B, MDS nurse ought to make thorough examinations of the Residents each and every week, including weights and vitals, with a thorough assessment of all pressure areas, Instead of just paper whipping the weekly's for the benefit of the facility????
i dont think management cares, they are gone after a certain time and when they are there they dont want to be bothered with it. the cns's usually wont do it on day shift but let evening and midnight shift come and they dont want to work. its sad the way these patients are being treated. i have seen myself where trays are sitting and no one is feeding them, and then the tray will be picked up and the poor patient hasn't eaten. many times i have feed the patients myself. i have noticed many times the cna's are from rough areas and the team leader will not mess with them or they are a friend and they won't say anything to them. i have also noticed where in many places there will be food in the frig for the patients and others staff are eating them, which isn't right.but then who is going to inforce anything.like you said then there is one person on the floor answering lights etc and the rest are relaxing. many cna's are wonderful , but the bad ones ruin it for them.
LPN2RN

Hopewell, VA

#23 Dec 21, 2011
I've worked in a couple of LTC facilities myself and that one that I think of when reading the first two posts is in Hopewell. The CNAs who take unauthorized breaks don't care, that's the bottom line. They are lazy and just out there to get a paycheck, not thinking about.. if that was their family member laying there for 30 minutes waiting to use the bathroom they would be pitching a fit and cussing someone out. At the end of the day if it wasn't for the residents in the nursing home they wouldn't have a job!!
No Quality of CARE

Silver Spring, MD

#24 Dec 21, 2011
Wondering RN --- Ma'am, I was employed at that facility in the mid 1980's after working there as a certified NA on the skill care ward for 1 year I decided to return to college and persue a degree in Computer Technology, which I did.

I have first hand knowledge of the type of CN that worked with me and these people where the worst. I can even tell you that some NA's that later recv'd their Nursing training through that employer stole medication and other items from residents! I can only say this, if you pay a professional wage for a certified NA, you could eliminate alot of the abuse of our most deserving citizens. I will never cross that threshold again, and I pray for the individuals that are confined to such care. Thank God there is one Nurse that gives a damn....TURN THEM IN TO THE STATE HEALTH DEPARTMENT.
Slurpee Summit

Petersburg, VA

#25 Dec 21, 2011
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Son, for your edification, this is my first post on this subject. You call me poor? It is you who lives in the old section (read that poor section) of Colonial Heights. It is you who walks to the 7-11 every morning for your biscuit and in the evening for your over priced six pack. Actually I live near the current High School and not the former High School, like you.
Now, as for guns, at the present time I have 18 guns and two reloaders. Two Marlin 1894 Levers, Two Winchester model 73s and four shotguns, two SxS and two model 97 pumps. I have ten handguns to include three old model Ruger Vaqueros, two new model Vaqueros and Two Blackhawks. I also have three Ruger GP 100s.
I reload metalic rounds on a Dillon 550 and 12 gauge on a MEC single action setup. Now as for ammo, over 7,000 rounds of combined metalic and 12 guage. My favorite metalic cartridge is a 357 loaded with Winchester 2400 Powder with a federal small magnum primer and a `158 grain RNFP bullet. My favorite 12 guage is loaded with Clays powder and number 8 shot all the way to 00 shot.
Oh I almost forgot, I use Winchester 209 Primers in the 12 guage shells, mostly green remington shells.
See, little man, I do not think that I need some poor bastard living on the wrong side of the tracks in Colonial Heights to loan me a gun.
You're still trying to tell me where I live? I'm no gun enthusiast and a gun collection is worthless to me. I own two weapons, a Sig and a federal backup pistol.
wondering about go wanda

Petersburg, VA

#26 Dec 21, 2011
dee wrote:
<quoted text>i dont think management cares, they are gone after a certain time and when they are there they dont want to be bothered with it. the cns's usually wont do it on day shift but let evening and midnight shift come and they dont want to work. its sad the way these patients are being treated. i have seen myself where trays are sitting and no one is feeding them, and then the tray will be picked up and the poor patient hasn't eaten. many times i have feed the patients myself. i have noticed many times the cna's are from rough areas and the team leader will not mess with them or they are a friend and they won't say anything to them. i have also noticed where in many places there will be food in the frig for the patients and others staff are eating them, which isn't right.but then who is going to inforce anything.like you said then there is one person on the floor answering lights etc and the rest are relaxing. many cna's are wonderful , but the bad ones ruin it for them.
wonderfully stated by a wonderful, caring, person, May our LORD bless you on this holiday season, dear one in Christs arms. I admire you all the way.
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#28 Dec 25, 2011
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it was you who stated where you lived you posted that you lived near the Blvd. in Colonial Heights and did not want a newer house complete with payments. You actually do need to remember things that you have already posted. Remember when you pulled up information from some of my old post and said what I drove and you googled where I lived? Come on old man, there are drugs that can help you with your memory.
a bit of aricept might give you a jump start pops
Go-Wanda

Petersburg, VA

#29 Dec 25, 2011
Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Son, for your edification, this is my first post on this subject. You call me poor? It is you who lives in the old section (read that poor section) of Colonial Heights. It is you who walks to the 7-11 every morning for your biscuit and in the evening for your over priced six pack. Actually I live near the current High School and not the former High School, like you.
Now, as for guns, at the present time I have 18 guns and two reloaders. Two Marlin 1894 Levers, Two Winchester model 73s and four shotguns, two SxS and two model 97 pumps. I have ten handguns to include three old model Ruger Vaqueros, two new model Vaqueros and Two Blackhawks. I also have three Ruger GP 100s.
I reload metalic rounds on a Dillon 550 and 12 gauge on a MEC single action setup. Now as for ammo, over 7,000 rounds of combined metalic and 12 guage. My favorite metalic cartridge is a 357 loaded with Winchester 2400 Powder with a federal small magnum primer and a `158 grain RNFP bullet. My favorite 12 guage is loaded with Clays powder and number 8 shot all the way to 00 shot.
Oh I almost forgot, I use Winchester 209 Primers in the 12 guage shells, mostly green remington shells.
See, little man, I do not think that I need some poor bastard living on the wrong side of the tracks in Colonial Heights to loan me a gun.

Slurpee Summit cannot talk right now, he has a penis in his mouth
Slurpee Summit

Richmond, VA

#30 Dec 30, 2011
Go-Wanda wrote:
<quoted text>
Slurpee Summit cannot talk right now, he has a penis in his mouth
Yawn . Moderate away.
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#31 Jan 1, 2012
dee wrote:
<quoted text>i dont think management cares, they are gone after a certain time and when they are there they dont want to be bothered with it. the cns's usually wont do it on day shift but let evening and midnight shift come and they dont want to work. its sad the way these patients are being treated. i have seen myself where trays are sitting and no one is feeding them, and then the tray will be picked up and the poor patient hasn't eaten. many times i have feed the patients myself. i have noticed many times the cna's are from rough areas and the team leader will not mess with them or they are a friend and they won't say anything to them. i have also noticed where in many places there will be food in the frig for the patients and others staff are eating them, which isn't right.but then who is going to inforce anything.like you said then there is one person on the floor answering lights etc and the rest are relaxing. many cna's are wonderful , but the bad ones ruin it for them.
right as rain, it seems as if human resources needs to hit the floor once in a while before they make some hiring decisions based on the grudge they have that the RN quit. It seems that they fail to realize that the process is a two way street. As one can get fired at the drop of a hat the same is that the employee can also take a hike. Then the next would be employer calls the previous employer who puts the "bad mouth" on the nurse and the hiring process ends there. For some reason, I find that unfair, the RN explains the facts of the situation to the would be employer, the interviewer, and the empowered human resources nixes the job. unfair is a weak word for this type of behavior by some desk sitter who never even knows about neither the nature of the work, nor the work ability and ethics of the interviewee. A ripoff. There ought to be a way one can even the deck against these human resource desk sitters who delight in denying potential employment. They seem to delight in the bad about a person. For instance, what does an employer potential have to lose by giving the hungry seeker a try, instead one never gets an answer or it is a remark like, "All the positions are filled, only to find the same job listed again and again. any thoughts on that subject?
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#32 Jan 1, 2012
LPN2RN wrote:
I've worked in a couple of LTC facilities myself and that one that I think of when reading the first two posts is in Hopewell. The CNAs who take unauthorized breaks don't care, that's the bottom line. They are lazy and just out there to get a paycheck, not thinking about.. if that was their family member laying there for 30 minutes waiting to use the bathroom they would be pitching a fit and cussing someone out. At the end of the day if it wasn't for the residents in the nursing home they wouldn't have a job!!
No truer words were ever spoken, I have run across the worst family members who rant and rave about their family member to the Nurse and then when the family member leaves and the cna is forced to be on the floor because they cannot stuff anymore food down their gullet, they are rude and vindictive toward the patient. It breaks my heart to see the goings on and then when the Nurse writes up the facts and sends it upward, nothing is done. I would rather die then to sit in that situation in a long term care setting. The cnas' are like barracudas, they steal from the patient, they mistreat them, they lie and eat their food right in the front of them, I speak of the bottom-feeders. I have run across a few excellent ones and when I would complement them, the bottom feeders have pulled out IV's on me, G-tubes and other more vindictive things to the patient to get back at the nurse, who takes the hit, is the nurse. Where is the equity?
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#33 Jan 1, 2012
TO WOW.
Anger displacement is not the issue here, as you obviously have no experience in the health care setting, perhaps, in human resources, or are one of the bottom feeders that make a living handing out misery. Then you have the audacity to speak of the pay differential!!?. The RN went to school and achieved a degree to do work they love while the cna was either too stupid, lazy or both to try and accomplish any of these things in life so they get a job where they are pleased to pick on the elderly because they know the elderly cannot fight back and the nurse cannot because all the other fay lazy indignant CNAS will get together and make up some cock and bull story to place the RN in danger of losing license. You are a sad representation of one to try to defend some bottom-feeder by 1. defending their lack of care, empathy, etc. 2. Placing some sort of anger issue on to the RN because they want the patient to be comfortable and well fed and hydrated. 3. Then racism as a wall of support for their inaction. Better keep on driving the forklift at the warehouse as your job, pal, because you are out of your arena here.
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#34 Jan 1, 2012
wondering about go wanda wrote:
<quoted text>
wonderfully stated by a wonderful, caring, person, May our LORD bless you on this holiday season, dear one in Christs arms. I admire you all the way.
Dee, I think you have a great heart and understand the law of Karma very well. Too bad you were not in the hiring position as I would make the monthly, quarterly, state reviews and audits sparkle. The MDS would be perfect. the patient turned every two hours, the meals fed with grace and respect, the rounds made in the most gentle manner, the patients families would be so satisfied to see clean oral cavities, Running appliances, meds given on time, and the deadwood fired on the spot. I sure wish the LORD had given you this power. May Blessings be upon you for your insight
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#35 Jan 1, 2012
who="wow"]<quoted text> That's quite a bit of anger.
It has more to do with how the State runs it's healthcare infrastructure than the people whom are eligible to man those positions. I don't know about you nor what you would do for half of a living wage but you'll find very few people that actually give 200% on any job.
When a person has to give 200% on a job, someone isn't doing theie part. CNA's spend the most time with a resident, followed by a med tech or an LPN, then a RN. The more time involved, the lesser the pay.
As far as racism is concerned, we'll have to leave that blame to someone else, for the moment. I consistently say, " Until the premise of anger is dissolved from the American Traditional Reasoning Process, living with it is the best that will happen.
You've developed a racist quality of your own, in an area where the demographics expose you to more of a particular race that happens not to be your own. Maybe, you grew up here or are a transplant; either way, there are areas in the U.S, where you can be around more of your own kind. But you've made a decision to live here for whatever reasons.
Secondly and most importantly, noone wants to be the first to think on the premise of some other grounds besides "anger". The residents themselves are probably more disrespectful because of the era that they grew up in. America's traditional usage of racism as a means of control, superiority and discrimination is still alive and well, in most people 40 and older by direct exposure. Then with their children by being taught by the American Education System of the greatnesses accomplished under those now, illegal, unjust and immoral acts.
It's hard to not assume that the current inhabitants aren't in agreement with those ways; they constantly reminisce about them, pride is associated with it and lastly, maybe not all but a few base their opinions of others under those same guidelines. They're not human, half of what we are and so forth and so on.
The State sells those jobs to the poor, they're really the only people whom can afford to work for that small amount. The State is the culprit in most every avenue of misfortune that befalls it's constituents. Why you may ask? It's about controlling the rate of growth of a society.
You asked a question, you weren't looking for an answer because you already had one. You just wanted someone else to interject an opinion before you gave yours, no matter how obtuse nor asinine it happened to be. I'm not saying you're stupid but simply ignorant. Stupid can't be changed but ignorance can with knowledge and sometimes, a little bit of understanding is needed as well.
Now, as to the eating disorder. Everyone wants to be capable of making a decision. Most people are left with deciding what to eat as the biggest selection that they'll have in their lives. They may not associate with others on too many fronts but food and selection is something they can come to terms on. Dysfunctional families often find commonground around holidays; I guess that's why the government felt it pertinent to establish federal and state holidays in an effort to resolidify the family infrastructure as the nation expanded.
You didn't enquire as to how to repair what you deem as a problem, so I won't address that at this time. A degree and qualifications to do certain jobs doesn't mean that you're qualified to think nor solve seemingly complex equations. As an RN, you've been exposed to subjects that could lead you to develop those skills; application of PROBS & STATS is way more than memorizing a few equations and formulas. This goes back to how Americans are educated or not educated.
Perhaps you need some health care education, seemingly you are lacking, even in the most fundamental way
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#36 Jan 1, 2012
who="Slurpee Summit"] Thought I responded to this, guess not.
Whatever I said must have been too much of the truth for the public to stomach.
Professional Butt Wipers are valuable to family members whom don't want the responsibility. In the future, don't go crying to the moderator, use those pen ringing calloused hands for something other than silencing an opinion.
I sort of remember exactly what I said, you're lucky that I'm about to commute, chump.

Your chump is swinging, insightless, fat, desk sitting, pile of adipose tissue
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#37 Jan 1, 2012
who="No Quality of CARE"]Wondering RN --- Ma'am, I was employed at that facility in the mid 1980's after working there as a certified NA on the skill care ward for 1 year I decided to return to college and persue a degree in Computer Technology, which I did.
I have first hand knowledge of the type of CN that worked with me and these people where the worst. I can even tell you that some NA's that later recv'd their Nursing training through that employer stole medication and other items from residents! I can only say this, if you pay a professional wage for a certified NA, you could eliminate alot of the abuse of our most deserving citizens. I will never cross that threshold again, and I pray for the individuals that are confined to such care. Thank God there is one Nurse that gives a damn....TURN THEM IN TO THE STATE HEALTH DEPARTMENT.

Have to have proof, I tried but then all the na's get together and put it to the nurse. you did the right thing by getting out of the field, I have been an RN about 30 years and can tell that the cna is and needs to be out of the health care field and turn it into primary care
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#38 Jan 1, 2012
who="Slurpee Summit"] Anger? Concealed Weapon Permit, buddy. I'd say whatever I felt like saying, whenever I felt like saying it and to whomever I felt like saying it to. I, also, have money for an attorney as well as bail not bond; I'll get my money back, when I beat the charge of voluntary manslaughter.
Umbrella Insurance for when your family feels that you were unjustly erased. Unlike yourself, I'm the type of person who doesn't have car insurance, will drive drunk, kill a family of four, pay all associated costs in cash and be at work the next; because I was wearing an 8 point seat belt and a helmet.
You'd rather put you car in drive, lay your head in front of the wheel and let it slowly squish your brains through the orifices in head than think about being confrontational with the likes of me.
In my younger days, if we had a problem, I'd solicit your old lady, screw her and tell you about it just to give you a little motivation to perform better. Threats of violence doesn't bother me; been there, done that. I laugh at your existence.

your existence is, in all probability, at some fast food place stuffing your fat face with unwashed hands, haha, you are a joke, a pitiful excuse for a thinking piece of protoplasm
TRUTH

Petersburg, VA

#39 Jan 1, 2012
who="Slurpee Summit"]<quoted text>Yawn . Moderate away.

Don't yawn too hard fat boy, you might lose what you have in your mouth
Mad CNA

Petersburg, VA

#40 Jan 9, 2012
I am mad at this post. You make it sound as if all CNA'S in nursing homes are lazy. We are not lazy. We work hard for the money that they pay us. Them stupid nurses just sit and do paperwork or just push around a medication cart. When I ask one of them to help me they do not want to. They tell me that they have their own work to do. I do not see why we have to do all the heavy work. Them stupid nurses just give orders. I am tired of taking their orders. When I sit down to eat my lunch, I am going to take my time. Them patients can wait until I am finished with my lunch. I didn't tell them to get old and crippled and go there. They ring on them call bells all the time and they ask the stupidest things like to get the TV clicker or to reach them something. They know that I have things to do. They are not the only person in the world. I was not rich, and privileged like them stupid nurses who do not know what it is like to have to clean up rear ends all the time. Because I have three kids and live in an apartment I could not afford to go to school, but I am alot smarter than them dumb nurses. Them patients just need to be quiet and let me do my job.
The Sinner Syndicate

Petersburg, VA

#42 Feb 8, 2012
First and foremost, it might be in your best interests to seek education yourself, as your grammar is appalling. Everyone in this country has the chance to educate themselves, which, apparently, you have made a "valiant" effort at.
Second, it is apparent you know very little of the health care system as it relates to gerontology, the workings thereof, at any level, especially, "The Floor"! This is evidenced by your paltry effort to place racism in the midst of an argument that was not the topic. Laziness in the workplace was, which, as I read your poor excuse for a retort, appears to be. Since you throw "Color" into the "arena", yes, it is also an issue. Obviously, since you display "anger" issues in this topic, one can only assume you are of the "color" you so ineffectually defend.
Third, you really need to learn to comprehend a bit better, the meaning of sentence structure prior to "pontificating" a paltry semblance of verbiage unintelligibly together to attempt to make a point.
Was it in Petersburg, perhaps the middle school, you graduated from???
RN pushing

Petersburg, VA

#43 Feb 8, 2012
Actually you are mad because you have placed yourself (through bad life choices) in a position of little if any power. Face it, you are at the bottom of the status poll and will never do any better. You say that you did not tell them to get old? Well, they did not tell you to pop out a couple of kids before you got an education and stay poor. They have lived a long life with many memories, you are at the peak of your life today, cleaning the asses of those who have chosen a better life path than you. CNAs are a dime a dozen and like any tire on a car they can be replaced with ease. A CNA is nothing but the old hospital Orderly and Attendent, the only difference is because of the possibility of civil litigation they sit your butt for a week of class so they can CYA their own asses when you screw up.
You want to see how little value you have? Let a nurse, doctor or anybody with any status in the hospital hear you bad mouth a patient when you clean their asses. You will be gone in less time than it takes to spend your ADC check.
Just goes to show what a lack of education can get you. Has the RN ever asked you to help, which, of course, you "Told them off" didn't you. Law of Karma states that when, if you are "Lucky" enough to get old and lay in your feces for the day, after having had urinated yourself four or five times while the CNA came in to your room to eat the dessert right off your tray, the tray never having had been set up nor you cleaned. sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama Again Calls Kettle Black 1 hr Angry American 1
Martial Arts School, Owner LIES about military ... Mon A real Marine 1
Mental health question Sun Done 3
moving from ky to va help me (Jan '15) Sat jgibby1973 7
News The 85th Anniversary from the Nation of Islam t... Jul 23 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
Pastor Proves Trump about McCain Jul 23 Angry American 1
News Juvenile shot on Hinton Street (Oct '09) Jul 22 twiddle 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chesterfield Mortgages