'We're the ninth wealthiest state, bu...

'We're the ninth wealthiest state, but our teachers salaries rank 37'

There are 7 comments on the WTVR Richmond story from Mar 14, 2014, titled 'We're the ninth wealthiest state, but our teachers salaries rank 37'. In it, WTVR Richmond reports that:

A local teacher here in Central Virginia says she is making less now than when she started 14 years ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR Richmond.

Henry Platter

Roanoke, VA

#1 Mar 15, 2014
I am sorry to say this and I do not mean to be rude but if you are dumb enough to be working for less than you made 14 years ago you should not be teaching school
The Wandering Jew

Carson, VA

#2 Mar 17, 2014
what are the teachers to do? Tell the moron to pull up his pants and not disrupt the class, that have his big, fat, loud mouthed mother come in to show her true color. The teachers hands are tied. If they even say anything against aberrant behaviors by these imbeciles they are trying to teach, out the door.
Reife

Mobile, AL

#3 Mar 17, 2014
Unfortunately in Virginia teachers are not required to teach. Virginia education is built around teaching to the SOL tests. The curricula, quizzes and homework are all purchased from a unknown company (likely well connected). The teachers are effectively reduced to "academic babysitters". They follow a prescribed lesson in class, give out supplied tests and handout pre written homework assignments. Parent teacher meetings are worthless since they have no inputs. The administrators, whatever they do, should make themselves more available at these meetings but prefer to hide behind the teachers.
If you try contacting the worthless, but probably paid well into six figures, hacks at the board of ed. you won't even get a response. And if you look at the work, it is dumbed down to a moronic level, so the education system is made to look look at the students' expense. In my son's high school the only students learning anything worthwhile are in the ag program. The rest is utterly worthless. It is truly pathetic and sad.
Reife

Mobile, AL

#4 Mar 17, 2014
should be "made to look good"
Ellen

Mableton, GA

#5 Mar 19, 2014
Reife wrote:
Unfortunately in Virginia teEllenachers are not required to teach. Virginia education is built around teaching to the SOL tests. The curricula, quizzes and homework are all purchased from a unknown company (likely well connected). The teachers are effectively reduced to "academic babysitters". They follow a prescribed lesson in class, give out supplied tests and handout pre written homework assignments. Parent teacher meetings are worthless since they have no inputs. The administrators, whatever they do, should make themselves more available at these meetings but prefer to hide behind the teachers.
If you try contacting the worthless, but probably paid well into six figures, hacks at the board of ed. you won't even get a response. And if you look at the work, it is dumbed down to a moronic level, so the education system is made to look look at the students' expense. In my son's high school the only students learning anything worthwhile are in the ag program. The rest is utterly worthless. It is truly pathetic and sad.
I teach in VA, and I can assure you that teachers build the curricula, write the quizzes and tests, and do not give out any supplied tests unless they are instructed to because of the SOLs. You have got it so wrong. They do not like to have all the curricula standards provided (the ones they have to build around ), because the SOLs have hurt spontaneity and the joy of being able to investigate something the class is interested in. They also make their own lesson plans.You are so wrong. My experience is in Henrico.
Also, for reasons I do not have time to discuss, the SOLs have left many Special Ed. kids behind because they have to take tests that there is no way in heaven or on earth that they can pass. Find out about the VAAPs.
QueenX218

Petersburg, VA

#6 Apr 26, 2014
Yeah, and if you are a substitute teacher, you gotta work miracles in one day.
Who Cares

Vienna, VA

#7 Apr 28, 2014
VA must be doing something right. If we are 37 in teacher salary but 9th in wealth, then the system must be teaching some kids how to make money. Maybe we are just more efficient.

Teachers have a college education. If they don't want to teach or don't think they make enough money they can go get a job in the private sector.

How about we start giving raises to the best teachers and not a cookie cutter annual increase for all. Unions kill the teaching field. The best teachers get the same raise as the worst teachers. Sounds like real incentive to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abortion is Wrong Apr 18 Cry for help 1
Replace DOC Leadership (Aug '17) Aug '17 Replace DOC Leade... 1
Christie Brinkley Wrinkle Remover (May '17) May '17 bulk 1
News How Did Fla. Therapist Accused of S&M with Pati... (May '14) Mar '17 Tim 4
Like and following social pages (Nov '16) Nov '16 Sesational Seduction 1
Chesterfield County VA Child predators (Jul '07) Jan '16 Stay in school 55
Relocating to Chesterfield (Mar '15) Jan '16 Mike Brunswick 2

Chesterfield Jobs

Personal Finance

Chesterfield Mortgages