Money For Chesterfield Schools - wtvr

Full story: WTVR

Superintendent says raising property tax could put millions back in schools. We've been reporting for months that the Chesterfield County School District is having to cut tens of millions of dollars from its budget.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Oh snap

Ruckersville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 13, 2010
 
Chesterfield resident and I'm fine with paying 4 more cents in real estate tax if it means saving jobs and if it benefits the children. I also think they need to evaluate other finances up near the top of the totem pole as well.
Concerned

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 13, 2010
 
As a Chesterfield resident and a Chesterfield School Employee, I would definately support a tax increase. As OhSnap said they need to start at the top and work their way down. Dr Newsome's raise and upped car allowance alone would pay for 2 support employees yearly salaries. Chesterfield sent all their school employees a survey, asking us to choose from several different cuts, adding up to $40million. All this did was pit employees against each other. The teachers would not choose cuts to their own jobs, just the bus drivers would not choose to cut their own jobs, just as the support staff would not choose to cut their jobs: RIGHT? It seems like their is some serious accounting issues that need to be looked at.
not a demorat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 13, 2010
 
ask obama for a bailout
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 13, 2010
 
Oh snap wrote:
Chesterfield resident and I'm fine with paying 4 more cents in real estate tax if it means saving jobs and if it benefits the children. I also think they need to evaluate other finances up near the top of the totem pole as well.
Don't worry about the top. If you keep the top satisfied, then everthing will fall in place. Hold your heads up, it's going to work out OK.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 13, 2010
 

Judged:

1

not a demorat wrote:
ask obama for a bailout
You betcha'
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 13, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Concerned wrote:
As a Chesterfield resident and a Chesterfield School Employee, I would definately support a tax increase. As OhSnap said they need to start at the top and work their way down. Dr Newsome's raise and upped car allowance alone would pay for 2 support employees yearly salaries. Chesterfield sent all their school employees a survey, asking us to choose from several different cuts, adding up to $40million. All this did was pit employees against each other. The teachers would not choose cuts to their own jobs, just the bus drivers would not choose to cut their own jobs, just as the support staff would not choose to cut their jobs: RIGHT? It seems like their is some serious accounting issues that need to be looked at.
Do you understand politics any better? Take the matter to the board of supervisors, that's where the money comes from. Don't let them be so tight-fisted that they throw the teachers an others under the bus. Fight for what you know is good and healthy.
ccps SOS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 13, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

4 cents is not enough! Taxes need to be raised by 10 cents and the board of supervisors owes us that 12 million back - period. The central office staff of assistant superintendants and specialists, coaches and on down the line needs to be cut. We are top heavy and it's difficult to fathom that our superintendant would need to have a salary that exceeded our governor! He's the only one who got a raise last year to my knowledge - if he's worth so much, I encourage him to do more of the work and start layoffs in his office. Parents need to be vocal if they want great teachers to continue giving 14 hour days and endless dollars out of their wallets for their classrooms. Speak loud or risk teachers working to the contract hours in the fall.
ChesterGirl

Colonial Heights, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 13, 2010
 
How come Chesterfield has never considered a meal tax like localities around us?
ccps SOS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 13, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

When I say "coaches" I don't mean athletic coaches ... We have central location for storing documents that are about 7 years old and what do they say to us when they unveil the portal .... "If you have any tests or study guides that you've made, send them our way and will add them" ... how much do you make again?????? What a hoot ... I'm a grunt and the only respect comes from the parents we service each year.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 13, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

ccps SOS wrote:
4 cents is not enough! Taxes need to be raised by 10 cents and the board of supervisors owes us that 12 million back - period. The central office staff of assistant superintendants and specialists, coaches and on down the line needs to be cut. We are top heavy and it's difficult to fathom that our superintendant would need to have a salary that exceeded our governor! He's the only one who got a raise last year to my knowledge - if he's worth so much, I encourage him to do more of the work and start layoffs in his office. Parents need to be vocal if they want great teachers to continue giving 14 hour days and endless dollars out of their wallets for their classrooms. Speak loud or risk teachers working to the contract hours in the fall.
Would it be safe to say the reason you want to cut the superintendant's salary because he is a black man? That reasoning will not cover the 50 million deficit. Keep slamming him and the deficit will continue to rise. God don't like ugly.
not a teahead

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 13, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

ccps SOS wrote:
When I say "coaches" I don't mean athletic coaches ... We have central location for storing documents that are about 7 years old and what do they say to us when they unveil the portal .... "If you have any tests or study guides that you've made, send them our way and will add them" ... how much do you make again?????? What a hoot ... I'm a grunt and the only respect comes from the parents we service each year.
Shut up bleeding heart hater.
Another Concerned Teacher

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 13, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

And there you have it. The first moron to play the race card! Well done. Nothing like someone playing the race card when it applies to nothing the quoted person actually said. Yes, you Non-Teahead, are the proud recipient of the Idiot of the day award.
va_tazdad

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 13, 2010
 

Judged:

1

"According to a recent audit by the Virginia Department of Education, the Chesterfield County School District is one of the most efficient in the state. Following Virginia state codes, the school board says it returned $12-million dollars to the county that it saved over the last two school years. Now they want the money back.

In a letter to the county administrator, school superintendent Dr. Marcus Newsome writes that the board needs the money to offset drastic budget cuts of $40 to $50-million dollars in federal, state and local funding to the fiscal year 2011 budget."

Do these fools think Chesterfield still has that $12 million in the bank somewhere? Are these idiots really responsible for our children's education?

Where do we find them and why do we continue to elect them?

There is no give back or "do over" onec you become an adult!!!!
va_tazdad

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 13, 2010
 
not a demorat wrote:
ask obama for a bailout
Again nothead, where do you think he will get the money????

The federal government has no money except the taxes they collect (and the paper they print.
va_tazdad

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 13, 2010
 

Judged:

1

not a teahead wrote:
<quoted text>
Would it be safe to say the reason you want to cut the superintendant's salary because he is a black man? That reasoning will not cover the 50 million deficit. Keep slamming him and the deficit will continue to rise. God don't like ugly.
Then God must hate you! Who, besides you cares what color the Super is?

You are a racist and a fool. That makes 2 strikes against you nothead.

Not everything is about race as you seem to think. Most organizations are top heavy. Just look at ANY state or federal agency!

Government is too big and it is time to trim it down to size!
va_tazdad

Chesterfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 13, 2010
 
Another Concerned Teacher wrote:
And there you have it. The first moron to play the race card! Well done. Nothing like someone playing the race card when it applies to nothing the quoted person actually said. Yes, you Non-Teahead, are the proud recipient of the Idiot of the day award.
If you expect anything more from nothead the racist moron, you are asking too much. Unfortunately, nothead receives that award so often he should have it tattooed on his forehead!

I no longer have children in the schools, but I would support a tax increase if it were for schools and there was staff reductions STARTING at the top before anyone else was effected.!
Taxed Out

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 14, 2010
 

Judged:

2

ENOUGH already! Raising taxes is not always the answer. The taxes keep going up and you're taxing people right out of their homes and businesses! How about trying something different? Raising taxes hasn't fixed the problems in the past. Why will it change anything now other than putting an additional burden on people that are already stretched thin!
va_tazdad

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 14, 2010
 
Taxed Out wrote:
ENOUGH already! Raising taxes is not always the answer. The taxes keep going up and you're taxing people right out of their homes and businesses! How about trying something different? Raising taxes hasn't fixed the problems in the past. Why will it change anything now other than putting an additional burden on people that are already stretched thin!
OK, here's an idea for you Taxed out. Close some of the schools, bump class size to 40 or more students, and cut all sports teams.

Like that?

It was stupid when New York tried it and it is still a stupid idea. I moved to Chesterfield so my kids would receive a good education, and they did. I see no reason for the next generation to suffer with a lesser opportunity.$.04 tax increase is not much to spend on our future.

NOBODY, including I, likes tax increases, but if that is what it takes along with staffing reductions in administration, then I say do it.
Oh Snap

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 14, 2010
 
@ Taxed Out

I would be willing to sacrifice any extra four cents to my property tax to save a job such as my job then for people to lose jobs. How stretched thin do you think the people are going to be if they lose their job? If the assessment on my house stays the same and the tax rate goes up four cents then I'll just have to stop buying a mcdouble and paying 50 cent for a can of mountain dew once a week.
Oh Snap

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 14, 2010
 
@ nothead - Way to pull out the race card...WTG!!!

Nobody in any post above has mentioned anything about race yet you do. Did any school personnel receive any type of raise last year? No, but one person did so why is that fair that everyone else has to deal with the prices of things going up yet their salary either remains the same or goes down a tad because of rises in benefits. I wish someone would some moderation on these forums.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chesterfield Discussions

Search the Chesterfield Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 3 hr barefoot2626 11,387
Betsy Willoughby 14 hr Hmm 1
Review: Golden Goat (Aug '10) 14 hr Dont do it 29
Kelly Dinelle Payne (Mar '06) 23 hr greg in central va 54
Crystal Burgess - Martins Foods Tue ohWow 1
Has Obama Been Doing A Good Job? Mon truth told 15
More than 100 Hampton police officers want back... Mon Hamptonian 9
•••
•••
•••
Chesterfield Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chesterfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chesterfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chesterfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chesterfield
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••