Anybody remember the old roller skati...

Anybody remember the old roller skating rink Malvern/Paoli? MountainView?

Posted in the Chesterbrook Forum

Hmmmm

Berwyn, PA

#1 May 9, 2017
Could be wrong... but I thought there used to be a roller rink we went to as a kids down 252 near 202, called Moutainview or something like that. It became a SIMS is what I heard, and don't know what it is now. Anybody know where it was exactly or have any memories or old photos?
BerWinnie

Oxford, NJ

#2 Jun 8, 2017
Yes, the indoor ice skating rink! In the 1970s it was directly off 252 after you came down Howelville Road. It might have been called the Valley forge Sports Garden at one point? In the 1980s through the 90s and up until a few years ago, it was a location of the Syms clothing chain. Now it will be a lacrosse place. Remember when there was a rollerskating rink by the Berwyn Train Station?
BerWinnie

Oxford, NJ

#3 Jun 8, 2017
1340 Swedesford Road was the exact address. Coming from Berwyn/St. Monica's area, we just went down Howelville Road and there it was on the left! You might enjoy this article about the place;

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/blog/...
BerWinnie

Oxford, NJ

#4 Jun 8, 2017
--since you mentioned roller skating, here's a link about the roller rink I mentioned, also open in the 1970s, at 22 Cassatt Avenue in Berwyn by the train station. There's a pic and comments with more pics; http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/20365
Thanks for bringing back great childhood memories of both places!
Rinki Dink

Berwyn, PA

#5 Jun 9, 2017
BerWinnie wrote:
BerWinnie wrote:
Yes! I also remember the one in Berwyn, but spent many nights at the one that turned into a SYMS. Some folks started going over to Kimberton rink, but that didn't seem to last long. Does anybody out there have any photos of the old rink? Chip was the manager, they had a fun little snack bar where clove cigarettes used to be hip. And a naughty little DJ booth where there was always some carrying on going on.

I remember hearing hip-hop for the first time there, sugar hill gang.
dstrohmetz

Phoenixville, PA

#6 Jun 28, 2017
While trying to find some pictures of where I used to go roller skating, I came across your question. I spent a lot of time at Valley Forge Sports Garden , a.k.a. Mountainview, when I was a kid. The building is still there. It's on Swedesford Road, between 252 and the entrance ramp to 202, right next to the Chester Valley Trail.
I learned how to roller skate at the Berwyn Rink. That building is still there as well. It's across the train tracks from the Berwyn train station.
I spent most of my teenaged years at Radnor Rolls. Remember the swimming pool? Why would swimming and skating at the same location be a good idea? Who knows, but I spent every weekend for years at RR. It used to be on Route 30, by 320, next to the Blue Route...which wasn't there at that time. The rink has been demolished for years.
Do you remember the Kimberton Rink? Here's something I found from the person who owned it. The building is still there. It's across the street from the KYAL baseball fields and where they have the Kimberton Fair.
http://www.rocknrollers.org/50.htm
Thanks for letting me take a trip down memory lane!
joanne

Palm Harbor, FL

#7 Jun 30, 2018
how well i rememer the Berwyn roller rink spent every weekend there my brother used to play on their hockey team which played games After the rink was closed for skating spent many a weekend night there til 2am or more before leaving for home which was actually Wallingford Penna should be more rinks around sure kept alot of kids busy
Yupp

Croydon, PA

#8 Jul 2, 2018
Those were good times - can't believe there's not more people who remember it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesterbrook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I am looking for a part time job on the books f... Oct 24 butterflys24568 1
Review: Wagsworth Manor Pet Resort (May '09) Aug '18 Justine Fetter 76
News Pottstown took on the YMCA - and won. They're s... Jun '18 The Bible 3
ACME Markets FIRES President Daniel Croce (Apr '17) May '18 Dan Croce 9
Acme Markets $55 Million Monopoly Game is RIGGED (Jan '14) May '18 Dan Croce 72
Dan Croce OUT at ACME Markets (May '17) May '18 Dan Sanders 5
News How a Main Line payday lender used an Indian tr... (Apr '18) Apr '18 Chestnut Ridge 1

Chesterbrook Jobs

Personal Finance

Chesterbrook Mortgages