Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

Had a customer come into my work and he's gone to a competitor of ours everyday for years. I worked there years ago and he was coming in back then. Well I asked him what in the world brought him in today?? Never in a million years did i think he would stray away from his normal spot. I had been off for a few days so dont know exactly what day it was but he said been coming for couple days because he was at his normal spot wearing a John Hunter for Sheriff shirt and was harassed by Cathie Mitchell husband about it so bad that he would never step foot in there again as he frequents the place.
I Believe It

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

I believe every word of that, "Chirp"! Yet again, a Cathie minion has intimidated someone! It has become so ridiculous that a candidate cannot run a clean campaign. You will not win an election by manipulation and intimidation! Her tag line "Honesty, Integrity & Accountability" is a joke. Bullying won't help a campaign. About 3 people I know WERE supporting Cathie, until Hunter or Sodat signs showed up in their yards and she started calling at 9am giving them grief. Signs are not votes and multiple candidates sign CAN be in one yard, that is not a crime. I hope the residents of Hopewell see the intimidation and make sure someone like this does NOT take public office.
laughing

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

well "CHIRP" and I Believe IT" It is obvious you are talking more BS from the Camps of Sodat or Hunter because Cathie Mitchell's husband relic hunts with me and he is an Electrician at JTCC. So what kind shopping does your customer do frequently at John Tyler Community College???
keep laughing

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

I personally have seen Mitch campaigning around town between 8am and 5pm many times.. next point please...
mitch mitchell

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

well keep laughing maybe you have seen me campaigning during the day because I have many times I have plenty of vacation and personal time. Chirp & I believe it, I do work at John Tyler comm. college my title is trades tech.3 state licensed electrician which can be viewed on the state website for pay scales.I see all of you are pumping crap out of your fingers and hiding behind your fake screen names so tell us just what kind of shopping were you doing at JTCC
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Judged:

It is a damn shame this campaign has gotten nasty. All three are good folks, the GOBs are getting vulgar in their desire to get their person in. Let's keep it clean and let the facts speak for themselves.
haha

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

mitch mitchell wrote:
well keep laughing maybe you have seen me campaigning during the day because I have many times I have plenty of vacation and personal time. Chirp & I believe it, I do work at John Tyler comm. college my title is trades tech.3 state licensed electrician which can be viewed on the state website for pay scales.I see all of you are pumping crap out of your fingers and hiding behind your fake screen names so tell us just what kind of shopping were you doing at JTCC
Planters called... they want their nut back.
mitch mitchell

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

haha at least I have the BALLS to get on here by my real name and not hide behind some fake screen name let everyone on here know when you grow a set
Get Real

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

I went to the Forum last night. I thought each candidate spoke well. Luther Sodat obviously has the experience and know how. He did an excellent job of explaining what the Sheriff's Dept is all about. They are not a crime fighting division, that duty falls under the Police Dept. The other 2 candidates spoke ok, but it is obvious they are Police and not Sheriffs.
The audience was very attentive and applauded each candidate. There was only one rude member of the audience who was making comments during a candidates talk, and it wasn't during his mother's.
Can't wait for the election to be over, especially for the new Sheriff in town...Luther Sodat!!!!
Billy Bob

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

If I read Chirp's post correctly, at no point was it said that Mr. Mitchell was working where the other customer was shopping. Both could have simply been patronizing the same business so I do not think Chirp meant that his customer was shopping at JTCC. Duh. And yes, I also know a person who was harassed by Cathy Mitchell for wearing an opposing candidate's shirt. Not too professional, is it?
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Just finished Reading the aticle in The Progress-Index regarding the Candidate Forum in Hopewell.

The big contention appears to be the I-295 project. Cathie and Hunter want to devote some of those Deputies time on t I-295 to patroling the streets of Hopewell.

Sodat on the other hand wants to keep it the way it is. This is a quote from the Progress-Index:
Referring to the Virginia Sheriff Association's written explanation of what a sheriff does, Sodat said that neither one of his rivals truly understand the difference between the police department and sheriff's office. Sodat pointed specifically to Mitchell's idea to give deputies the additional duty of serving some papers and Hunter's "once a day everyday" program.

According to the association's website, the Hopewell Sheriff's Office is responsible for court security and civil process.

Hunter's idea of increased patrols within the school system would create redundancy with the school resource officers, Sodat said.

"A good relationship with the police department and Sheriff's Office means not stepping on each others toes," Sodat said.

Sodat drew another line between him and his opponents when it came to changes of the deputies' patrols along I-295. Both Mitchell's and Hunter's plans to increase patrols in the neighborhoods would take away resources from a successful patrol program on I-295, he said.

Naming off the thousands of speeding tickets and arrests that have been made on I-295, Sodat summed up the highway safety program spearheaded by the current sheriff in two words: It works.

"You pull the deputies off of I-295 for any amount of time, the loss of revenue will constitute the loss of police positions, the loss of deputy positions. Less officers equal less public safety," Sodat said.

Here is the link to the Virginia Sheriffs' Association regarding Sheriffs'Offices Responsibilities: http://vasheriff.org/sheriffs-resources/sheri...

Did Sodat forget this paragraph on the web site: "Law Enforcement – Sheriffs are responsible for primary local law enforcement in all counties without a police force, but also have responsibility for law enforcement in all localities in which they serve. In eighty-six of Virginia’s counties, the sheriff is the primary local law enforcement agency, responding to all of the crime calls and calls for service from citizens."

Yes the web site lists Hopewell as Court Security and Civil Process. Since Sodats contention is that Hopewell Sheriffs' Office job is Court Room and Civil Process then he needs to explain how running Radar on I-295 fits into those duties. Running Radar on I-295 is niether Court Room Security nor Civil Process.

No Luther you can not have it both ways. You can not misslead the public for your personal gain. The Virginia Sheriffs" Association cleary state the a Sheriff is also has a responsibility for Law Enforcement for all localities in which they serve. That is what Sheriff Anderson used to get the I-295 project going, but thanks for reminding us that IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.

Sodat is correct in the fact that the Hopewell PD and Hopewell SO are two different agencies, but they should work together.

Deputies have the same power as the Sheriff unless the Sheriff restricts that power. If as Sodat sugjest the the Sheriffs' Office job is Court Romm Security and Civil Process then why do the Badges have Deputy Sheriff written on them. They could have Bailiff or Civil Process written on them thus restricting thos Deputies to those duties. As long as Deputy Sheriff is on those Badges they have Law Enforcement responsibilities as well as those other duties.

But eh what do I know, I am just a working stiff that knows how to read.
Chirp

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

No one said anything about shopping I never said I seen him i dont know him wouldnt want to can only imagine what he's like. Im just tellin you a customer thats been going to same place atleast 10 years everyday isnt goin back because he said was harassed by cathies husband thats all im sayin. This is not my opinion or anything.
Chirp

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Yes they were both customers at this place neither work there I said at my work meaning where I earn my coin.
Petersburg Lawyer

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Same ol, you hit the nail right on the head. It is all about the money and the GOB's keeping their hands in it. Sodat and Cloninger were recruited and are supported by them so that the GOB's can continue to own the courthouse. Cloninger and Sodat have now aligned themselves with each other and are running together. Sodat's team has even been out campaigning for Cloninger. The citizens need to wake up and see through all of the GOB's smoke and mirrors. The GOB's know that Sodat couldn't win in a head to head race with Mitchell, which is why they recruited Hunter. Sodat is a great guy but not leadership material. If he were he would be second in command after all of his years of service but he isn't. He has no original ideas to improve the City and unfortunately if elected, Anderson and the GOB's would be running the office from the sidelines. Hunter, too, is a nice guy but he has his own problems. He should have never treated that nice man who was exercising his constitutional rights the way in which he did even though I'm sure his heart was in the right place. That only leaves one candidate, Mitchell. She has some good ideas to bring much needed change to the department. Why doesn't everyone quit the nasty bashing and spreading lies, and really look at each individual and their qualifications. Do you really want the GOB's or Hunter in power, or someone who is independent and can't be bought.
Pope

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

Hunter treats the citizens like criminals I was pulled over by him routine traffic stop burned out tail light. And he kept swearing there were drugs in the car and telling me I was up to something I let him search the car and didnt find anything as there was not anything in the car he tried getting a drug dog but wasnt any available and he was telling me I wont be so lucky next time and he will find the drugs. I have a perfect record criminal and driving not so much as a speeding ticket on my record. And I was treated like a straight up criminal that just robbed a bank or something. I do not think police understand there job is Public Service. Not Public Harassment. People do make mistake from time to time no one is perfect and not everyone is a criminal
All4Hopewell

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

SURPRISE... SURPRISE... SURPRISE... JOHN HUNTER IS OUT BULLYING AROUND TOWN, LUTHER IS MAKING BACK DOOR DEALS, AND EMAILS ARE POPPING UP EVERYWHERE
CANDIDATES IF YOU'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING UNDER COVER DON'T PUT IT IN WRITING... I'M AN EXCELLENT "RESEARCHER" AND YOUR LINKS TO FACEBOOK AND TOPIX PRESENT YOUR IP ADDRESS IF SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING AND I'VE TAPPED EVERY IP ON THIS BLOG
SO NOW IF THE WRONG CANDIDATE WINS IT WILL BE CONTESTED...
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

All4Hopewell wrote:
SURPRISE... SURPRISE... SURPRISE... JOHN HUNTER IS OUT BULLYING AROUND TOWN, LUTHER IS MAKING BACK DOOR DEALS, AND EMAILS ARE POPPING UP EVERYWHERE
CANDIDATES IF YOU'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING UNDER COVER DON'T PUT IT IN WRITING... I'M AN EXCELLENT "RESEARCHER" AND YOUR LINKS TO FACEBOOK AND TOPIX PRESENT YOUR IP ADDRESS IF SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING AND I'VE TAPPED EVERY IP ON THIS BLOG
Please share these back room deals. It would not be the forst time it happened. I saw e-mails between Buji and Anderson a while back.
Get Real

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

Petersburg Lawyer wrote:
Same ol, you hit the nail right on the head. It is all about the money and the GOB's keeping their hands in it. Sodat and Cloninger were recruited and are supported by them so that the GOB's can continue to own the courthouse. Cloninger and Sodat have now aligned themselves with each other and are running together. Sodat's team has even been out campaigning for Cloninger. The citizens need to wake up and see through all of the GOB's smoke and mirrors. The GOB's know that Sodat couldn't win in a head to head race with Mitchell, which is why they recruited Hunter. Sodat is a great guy but not leadership material. If he were he would be second in command after all of his years of service but he isn't. He has no original ideas to improve the City and unfortunately if elected, Anderson and the GOB's would be running the office from the sidelines. Hunter, too, is a nice guy but he has his own problems. He should have never treated that nice man who was exercising his constitutional rights the way in which he did even though I'm sure his heart was in the right place. That only leaves one candidate, Mitchell. She has some good ideas to bring much needed change to the department. Why doesn't everyone quit the nasty bashing and spreading lies, and really look at each individual and their qualifications. Do you really want the GOB's or Hunter in power, or someone who is independent and can't be bought.
And just how do you know Sodat and Cloninger are GOB picks?? Obviously that would make you one of them. Mitchell is not the person everyone thinks she is. I am sick and tired of hearing about the GOB crap. Yes, Sodat is a good ole boy, I've known him for about 50 years and have never heard him tell a lie or be dishonest.....which is more than I can say for the other candidates. And, by the way, what business is it of yours? Do you live in Hopewell?? I really liked your comments the other day, but definitely not on this one!! Have you ever been to the Hopewell Sheriff's Dept, do you know what Sodat does there, have you seen him in action, do you personally know his leadership abilities, and why on earth would you think Anderson would be running the office from the sidelines????
Get Real

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

All4Hopewell wrote:
Please share the back door deals that you seem do know so much about. Did you make one and know of this personally?? If your and "excellent researcher" and know who all these IP addresses belong to.....print 'em up. I have no problem with that. And "in your opinion" who is the wrong candidate?? And remember....it is YOUR opinion.
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

I have been to the Sheriffs' Office, I know what Sodats job is, and have seen him in action. Sodat is a yes man. I would say one of Sodats weaknesses is he tries to please everyone. That is an admirable trait but an unattainable feat. Sometimes (especially a Sheriff) you need to have some backbone and do what is right and not try to please everyone. Just because he has spent over 25 years in the Sheriffs' Office does not mean he is the best candidate for Sheriff. If that was the criteria Greg would have never been elected Sheriff. Greg had zero experience in the Sheriffs' Office.

Luther is a good person but in My Opinion would not make a good Sheriff. Luther is to easily influenced by outside sources and (again my opinion) would do whatever he could to get and keep the job of Sheriff (even if that meant making a deal with the Devil so to speak).

The Good Ol Boys everyone is talking about is a group of people in Hopewell that do not have the best interest of Hopewell in mind; they are out for themselves. Unfortunately they have great influence in Hopewell and many believe they cannot get elected unless they make a deal with them. Once a deal is struck with this group then they "own" you so to speak.

Unfortunately Luther is in with that group. Greg is part of that group along with many others. Cloninger is also in with that group. The GOB's are attempting to keep the Sheriffs’ Office in their pockets and are trying to re capture the CA's Office therefore having complete control of the Court House.

The Hopewell Sheriffs’ Office should work with its PD counterpart better than it currently does. The Sheriffs’ Office needs to be more than a revenue machine for the city. While as Luther stated if the Deputies were pulled off of I 295 revenue would drop, I believe an hour or two each shift would not make that a big of a difference. Maybe the Sheriffs’ Office would have one less car and motorcycle that they do not need.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of275
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chester Discussions

Search the Chester Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Five People Shot In Gilpin Court - wtvr (Jul '10) 2 hr ank 236
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 13 hr barefoot2626 9,629
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 15 hr abe 1,349
Listen To Hopewell police scanner online (May '10) 18 hr Redtea 8
Pelham unfit to lead in black community or Hope... 19 hr SlurpeeSummit 32
Debate: Gay Marriage - Richmond, VA (Jul '10) Tue GILPIN COURT RESIDENT 261
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr 14 Jim 1,434
•••
•••