Custer's Last Stand Museum Rt 105 (Ol...

Custer's Last Stand Museum Rt 105 (Old Rt 6)

Posted in the Chester Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
George CCHS 1965

Kingston, NY

#1 Mar 7, 2008
Between Highland Mills and Monroe there used to be a Old West Museum that featured artifacts from the Little Big Horn Battlefield (Custer's Last Stand) in Montana. This place may have been in a private collection of a private home near Bakertown Rd. I remember it from a field trip with the Cub Scouts in the mid 1950s. Does anyone remember where it was located and if it is still in operation today? I would appreciate any information.
George CCHS 1965

Kingston, NY

#2 Mar 8, 2008
George CCHS 1965 wrote:
Between Highland Mills and Monroe there used to be a Old West Museum that featured artifacts from the Little Big Horn Battlefield (Custer's Last Stand) in Montana. This place may have been in a private collection of a private home near Bakertown Rd. I remember it from a field trip with the Cub Scouts in the mid 1950s. Does anyone remember where it was located and if it is still in operation today? I would appreciate any information.
I have discovered that the name of the "Museum" was called Indian Plume Trading Company which sold out the land to the Bnai Yoel Congregation at 411 County Road 105 in Monroe. Does anyone know where the Trading Company moved to or what happened to the artifacts?
Steve-HM

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Mar 20, 2008
Hi, What I found is that the Plume Trading Company was owned by James Luongo. In 1980 he sold what ever was left about 2500 pieces, to Osaka Ethnographic Museum, Japan.

The link below tells the story and this particular paragragh is on page 9 of 11.

http://mediatedcultures.net/phantom/Gottschal...
George CCHS

Kingston, NY

#4 Mar 21, 2008
Steve-HM wrote:
Hi, What I found is that the Plume Trading Company was owned by James Luongo. In 1980 he sold what ever was left about 2500 pieces, to Osaka Ethnographic Museum, Japan.
The link below tells the story and this particular paragragh is on page 9 of 11.
http://mediatedcultures.net/phantom/Gottschal...
Thanks very much. I appreciate your efforts. Too bad the collection is in Japan.
Karin Pearce

Camilla, GA

#5 Feb 20, 2009
My great grandfather owned this collection (James Luongo) and unfortunately it was sold to Japan in 1980. I would love to travel there one day to see it again. His house and museum were also sold later in the 80's and has completely changed by the group that lives there. Glad to know you have happy memories of visiting there as a kid, it was a beautiful place.
Jack Faoro

Susquehanna, PA

#6 Apr 24, 2011
In my 20's I bought beads through Mr. Luongo's Plume Trading Post Company, not by mail, but by going to his museum as I lived in Washingtonville, just a few miles from the museum. He was interested in what I was doing at the time (making Moccasins with his beads.) We became friends and he spent time familiarizing me with his collection. As I was traveling, and got into other things, we drifted apart only to find, years later, that Mr. Luongo had passed away and everything was gone. I just happened to see this and am responding in hopes that this will be read. I am now persuing to find out through the museum where this collection is. I can be reached at [email protected] Thanks, Jack
Bob Emmel

Harrisburg, PA

#7 Jun 1, 2012
I was a member of Red Shield Indian Group in Baltimore, and during 1956 our group took a trip to NY. Out mentor was Joe Greensfelder and he took us to see Jim Luongo's Trading Post on Lexinton Ave, NYC. Jim wasn't there but we met a young man named Frank Andrews who was running the store. Frank began yearly visits to Baltimore and helped start our group on the powwow circuit. He would sometimes bring a friend with him named Ron
Theisz. A couple of years later when I was about 21 years old I again visited the store and Mr Luongo was there. I had some Navaho rugs and we traded for some moccasins and supplies. I visited the Monroe Museum on one occasion and met a man who
who I think went by the name "Grey Wolf"????. He told me he did the illustrations for the company's
catalog. Was sorry to hear of the sale and regret not taking more advantage of the museum. Joe Greensfelder told me he sold his "collection" to Jim during the depression. So, I wonder if some of Joe's collection, and my Navaho rugs are now in Japan. And, by the way, I still have the Apache boots Jim traded to me for the Navago blankets.
George CCHS 1965

Wallkill, NY

#8 Jun 2, 2012
This maybe the website http://www.minpaku.ac.jp/english/
Sue

Tuxedo Park, NY

#9 Sep 24, 2012
I am doing research about Robert Hofsinde (Gray Wolfe) and about the Trading Post. Could we communicate directly? You may have some of the information I need.
George CCHS 1965

New Windsor, NY

#10 Sep 24, 2012
Sue wrote:
I am doing research about Robert Hofsinde (Gray Wolfe) and about the Trading Post. Could we communicate directly? You may have some of the information I need.
What you see on the web blog is what you get. I personally know nothing more about the museum. I was there as a cub scout in the 1950s and just wondered what happened to the place. Maybe someone else can assist.
sanford

Baxter, MN

#11 Jun 22, 2013
I have some original small paintings by Robert Hofsinde. They are from my family's past and he may be related to me somehow through some roots in Denmark. Any idea who may be interested in them?
[email protected]
George Kane Cornwall NY

Newburgh, NY

#12 Jun 23, 2013
sanford wrote:
I have some original small paintings by Robert Hofsinde. They are from my family's past and he may be related to me somehow through some roots in Denmark. Any idea who may be interested in them?
[email protected]
Do some research on the net and possibly sell them on ebay. Galleries will want to pay less cause they will have to keep them until they sell.
George Kane Cornwall NY

Newburgh, NY

#13 Jun 24, 2013
Sue wrote:
I really don't have any information. I was only there once as a child
Ken Oraboni

Stamford, CT

#14 Mar 2, 2014
I was an American Indian enthusiast when i was a kid back in the mid fifties and used to frequent trips to the Plume Trading Post, I believe it may have been around W 34th street in Manhattan. After I went into the Navy in 1956 I understand Jim luongo moved all his collection up to Monroe and when he died his son sold it all to a company from Japan,

@ Bob Emmel... Frank Andrews and I were very good friends and he is now in New Mexico
Ken Oraboni

Stamford, CT

#15 Mar 2, 2014
Grey Wolf claimed to be Chippewa but I believe he had no indian blood
George CCHS 1965

Newburgh, NY

#16 Mar 2, 2014
Ken Oraboni wrote:
I was an American Indian enthusiast when i was a kid back in the mid fifties and used to frequent trips to the Plume Trading Post, I believe it may have been around W 34th street in Manhattan. After I went into the Navy in 1956 I understand Jim luongo moved all his collection up to Monroe and when he died his son sold it all to a company from Japan,
@ Bob Emmel... Frank Andrews and I were very good friends and he is now in New Mexico
Yes Ken, sounds like your in agreement with earlier posts. You might scroll back and check out other information concerning the museum. Thanks for your input.

Since: Mar 14

Stamford, CT

#17 Mar 3, 2014
Karin,

When I was a kid in the mid 50s we had a small indian group that used to meet Saturday mornings at the Plume Trading Post. I knew your grandfather very well at that time. We used to help him out stocking and cleaning up some and then he used to let us use a room down in the basement for a meeting. Frank Andrews was also a part of our group and worked for Jim on and off
Andy

Hampton, UK

#18 Jan 2, 2015
Ken Oraboni wrote:
The Plume Trading and Sales Company was located at 155 Lexington Avenue in Manhattan and was the palce to go for Indian artefacts and craft materials like feathers and beads as well as Indian and Western literature. I still have a facsimile of a North Dakaota newspaper front page of the Custer Massacre.
Ken Oraboni

Melbourne, FL

#19 Jan 3, 2015
Thanks Andy, lots of nice memories from that place, after our meeting we used to scour the local thrift and antique shops looking for artifacts, we used to find a few here and there, but no more, its all been swooped up by collectors
apauld

Tucker, GA

#20 Apr 27, 2015
Ken Oraboni wrote:
Thanks Andy, lots of nice memories from that place, after our meeting we used to scour the local thrift and antique shops looking for artifacts, we used to find a few here and there, but no more, its all been swooped up by collectors
Ken,
In an earlier post about Plume Trading there were some inaccuracies. The museum contents were sold long before Jim died. He tried getting one of the New York museums to take the collection but surprisingly there was no interest. A Japanese museum approached him and he sold most of what was in the museum to them. After that his son, Louis, began helping him with the business which was still going strong. When Jim died, Louis ran the business for a while but really didn't have his heart into it and he sold it to someone I believe in Pennsylvania but I never saw any activity after that.
Jim was my uncle and I had the pleasure of working for him in the city at the Lexington Ave store while I went to college back in the 70s. I spent many summers up in Monroe and loved that museum. Every year Jim would have a POW WOW there and all the family would go and have a great time. I have movies of the POW WOWs and my aunts and uncles dancing with the Native Americans and having so much fun. A lot of people don't know this but in the 50s Jim was invited out West where he adopted by the Lakotas and given the name Chief White Plume.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hasidic Jews in upstate New York Nov 14 The Bible Student 4
News KJ's formation of new town up to Monroe voters Nov 9 Realist 4
News KJ wins court approval to tap Cornwall well Nov 9 Realist 4
make it to mothers (Jul '10) Oct 31 Chris H 157
Is video taping a neighbor legal or is it consi... (May '07) Oct 23 jj1987to2013 223
News Officials tout Orange County's positive economi... Oct '17 dawn 1
News Palm Tree proposal could be costly for Monroe t... Oct '17 Russ Ferdicko 9

Chester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chester Mortgages