Dr. Cary L. Hamlin

Dr. Cary L. Hamlin

There are 182 comments on the Daily Record story from Sep 4, 2007, titled Dr. Cary L. Hamlin. In it, Daily Record reports that:

WASHINGTON TWP. -- Dr. Cary L. Hamlin of Long Valley died Sunday, Sept. 2, 2007, at Newton Memorial Hospital, Newton.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Record.

Kathi

Succasunna, NJ

#162 Nov 4, 2009
Thanks Audley!!!
Audley wrote:
<quoted text>
Kathi,
Thank you for your very polite and kind response. Looks like we're both on the same road to recovery. Thank heavens, my depression cleared up, but at least I have a psychiatrist to fall back on should it return. Anyone can fall into the pit of the horribly painful illness of depression. Even though I don't know you, I'm always happy to hear that someone has or is recovering. From what I've read about Dr. Hamlin, I'm sorry I'd never met that man. And it's a credit to you that you give Dr. Ilardi the good experience you've had with him, as he deserves respect for anyone he's helped. I wish you the best; I know all too well how debilitating severe depression can be and I'm thankful there are doctors (psychiatrists/psychologists) who have taken the time to research on how to help people like you and me. They are invaluable, that's for sure. Good luck and once again, I'm happy to know that Dr. Ilardi is giving you positive results. God bless.
AnonymousTruthTe ller

East Stroudsburg, PA

#163 Nov 10, 2009
Brenda wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Kiley,
I became a patient of your father's when I began to suffer in 1990. I greatly appreciated the way he practiced medicine when all around him were either not knowledgeable or afraid to use meds like he did. He saved my life when I had severe clinical depression and panic. He told me at the time,when I asked about my children, that my little girl probably would suffer also. Now, I find that I need a "Dr. Hamlin" for her. She is 20 years old and living in Florida. I was so shocked and saddened when I called his office for a referral, to hear of his untimely death. I am so sorry for your family and his loved ones. He truly helped so many. Even when it was difficult for me because of phobias I had developed about driving, I pushed myself and friends to attend his support groups as I learned so much about how the meds worked in me and how to help myself. I did get better through the years and never dreamed that I would be able to accomplish what I have. I know he told me about Dr. Sheehan in Tampa, Florida...but I was wondering if you could reccomend a doctor in Tampa for her? Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I hear that you have accomplished so much in your field and wish you the best.
Thank you, Brenda
Dr. Ilardi grossly overstates his own importance. Many GOOD psychiatrists in the Morristown area.
Audley

East Stroudsburg, PA

#164 Nov 11, 2009
Kathi wrote:
Thanks Audley!!!
<quoted text>
Hi Kathi,

Once again, I thank you for your kind response and I'm delighted to hear your depression has lifted. But I think there's a mix-up here; I don't have anything positive to say regarding Ilardi; in fact, I'll venture to say he made everything worse. I'm so sorry I never got to meet Dr. Hamlin; he must have been a wonderful and caring doctor. In my opinion, Ilardi is a pompous know-nothing. And his coming to Topix.net to recruit more patients is pathetic and extremely tacky, to say the least. And I will always use my right to exercise free speech.

However, again, I am VERY happy for you as I know how debilitating severe depression can be. I wish you continued and permanent recovery. God bless.
John S McGovern PhD

Spotswood, NJ

#166 Sep 14, 2010
Dr. Hamlin was an inspiring colleague to have in the field of emotional health. He had a great love of
research and a zeal for natural science. His devotion to his patients in his psychiatric practice is legendary. Although he would describe himself as a biologically based psychiatrist who had developed terrific expertise in the field of psychoactive medications, he in fact would spend time talking to his patients and learning about the significant interpersonal relations in their lives. He elicited more so-called "Positive Transferences" in his patients than he would know. He had a caring warmth about his personality even though he claimed that he knew next to nothing about psychotherapy or "talk therapy."
He spoke with authority on the topics in which he had thorough expertise, and his colleagues tended to listen to him with great respect.
His loss was sudden and unexpected. There has been considerable mourning among his family members, friends, patients, and colleagues. He has left a huge void behind, and a legacy which speaks highly of the impact that a caring mental health professional can have on the world.
Shari Silk

Delray Beach, FL

#167 Dec 2, 2010
Wow, I decided to try and find Dr. Hamlin today. I last saw him sometime around 1985 or 6, when I relocated. He is the only person who ever diagnosed me correctly...or should I say that since that time my circumstances have led me to be treated by doctors who can only spend about 15 minutes every 3 months with me. In any case, I was going to see if I could find out what treatment he would currently use to treat a person with the condition he diagnosed me with so many years ago, Dysthemic Disorder (although I also suffer major depressions and other things).
Obviously Dr. Hamlin was truly a great doctor as is attested to in these tributes. I add mine, I have never forgotten him and never been so impressed by any physicians diagnostic skills and that he recognized almost instantly that my problems were biological and systemic vs stemming from environment, abuse of family dysfunction. I recall feeling at the time I knew him that he was a son of a bitch devoid of personality, but at the same time that he was highly competent and knew his stuff. He definitely cared. I made poor decisions and left his care for someone I liked better, left the state, the region, thinking I could become a different person somehow, went untreated and then IMO incorrectly treated for decades since. I am 52 now. I can't even imagine he is dead, he seemed like just a kid.
Shari Silk

Delray Beach, FL

#168 Dec 2, 2010
Did you ever find someone like Dr. Hamlin near Tampa for your daughter?
Shari Silk

Delray Beach, FL

#169 Dec 2, 2010
PS, I see it says Boynton Beach, but I now reside in north west Florida, Port Richey, in the same region as Tampa St. Pete
Kelly

Sparta, NJ

#170 Dec 19, 2010
His youngest son of 2 and a half years; my half brother is a constant reminder of him everyday. My Step-father was an amazing man, and these comments put me to tears. I still can't believe is he is gone. <3
anonymous

Raleigh, NC

#171 Dec 19, 2010
God Bless Kelly. We all miss him too. Save this for your brother so someday he'll also know what a difference his father made to so many people.
Jim and Patty Baker

United States

#172 Mar 10, 2011
Till this day we both still Miss Him and haven't been able to find an equal. We now live in Pa.
Wish some would help us, from the family or Patty

Jim and Patty [email protected]
Jim and Patty Baker

United States

#173 Mar 10, 2011
He always talked to about his own Family and how he was going to get them all through at Least Grad School.... I hope that did happen. 3/10/2011
Martina

Glenside, PA

#174 Mar 17, 2011
anonymous wrote:
I'm a former patient. I gave up looking for someone to replace him. As someone else said, that's never going to happen, for me anyway. Now I'm with a teaching hospital clinic and every year have a new doc though I stay with the same attending (and that's it's own battle.) Each appt is about 15 min. On the other hand, I figure this is like any other "maintenance" doc, as long as I'm stable I just need refills. On the plus side, they added another med which has helped tremendously. Some research that they did said it might work for me and it's changed my life substantially. I actually get some sleep without addiction, side effects, etc! Wish I'd had that one many, many years ago! On an unrelated illness they've got me on a new med which is rarely given by private practice drs. My point is that while I miss Dr. Hamlin terribly in terms of appointments with him, I try to focus on the benefits I've gotten from switching from private drs to a teaching hospital clinic. In terms of those chats with him I did see a psychologist for a couple of years which did help. There wasn't the history there but after a few months I did feel like this person was listening to me, accepting me for who I am without judgement... many of those characteristics that made us all love Dr H. No, there will never be another Dr H but personally I need to have my meds and live in the present. He gave me many things including the confidence to believe in myself and my own judgements and I use those skills to keep myself healthy. I will never have the faith in another doc that I had in him for sure. But I have to survive and thrive.
How did you find the teaching hospital clinic? I would be interested to have that address.
Martina

Glenside, PA

#175 Mar 17, 2011
Actually I live in Long Valley. Dr. Hamlin lived around my corner. It's OK with me but I do not live in Hackettstown.
anonymous

Garner, NC

#176 Mar 21, 2011
If you can't find any doc locally for meds you're happy with you could try the Columbia Univ clinic in Manhattan. Might not be a place you'd want to visit weekly but if it's a few times a year... This specializes in anxiety.
http://www.anxietytreatmentnyc.org/index.html
This might be closer if you're looking for psychology services
http://gsappweb.rutgers.edu/clinic/about.php
This is the general psychopharmacology at Rutgers
http://rwjms.umdnj.edu/departments_institutes...
I have never personally used these clinics but Dr. Hamlin thought highly of the Columbia program. Look for the sliding scale financial assistance programs if insurance is an issue.
Martina

Glenside, PA

#177 Mar 21, 2011
Thank you for the information.
I know Columbia Univ. is very good. It is just so far driving. My cousin did a 2 year study there in the human genes. He is prof. in Gent (Belgium) for the moment, department pediatrics. He lived in Fort Lee at that time and I was often over there.
My insurance covers badly for Mental Health and it is an issue. I will try the other sites. I am looking for help for my teenagers.
All the best.
Kathi

Parsippany, NJ

#178 Aug 27, 2012
You are not forgotten Dr. Hamlin! I can't even count the # of times I think how much I wish you were still here to talk to.

RIP Dr. Hamlin
Mary

Brooklyn, NY

#179 Aug 27, 2012
Kathi you are not alone. He was so kind, intelligent, knowledgeable, innovative and just beginning to help a member of my family when he passed away. It has been a rough road for us. There is no one like him.
Kathi

Parsippany, NJ

#180 Aug 28, 2012
Mary, so true, no one else like Dr. Hamlin.
Martina

Hackettstown, NJ

#181 Sep 1, 2012
A beautiful soul like Dr. Hamlin keeps on living. I was recently referred to a therapist by good friends, and I could not believe I was standing before the door of Dr. Hamlin's former office . He lived for his work and his patients. I think he just needed a desk, a computer, his books.... His mind was always working to help the suffering and broken of heart. His passion to find the right frequency so he could balance the waves of negative into positive.
The office was different of interior, but I could still feel the atmosphere of peace and intense joy. I remembered the many different beautiful mugs that he used to sip his English Earl Gray Thee. I recalled the picture of his mother on top of his bookshelf. I am still grateful to have known this caring and totally dedicated Dr. Hamlin. I will burn my hand painted Van Gogh candle in his memory. My sympathy goes to his family on this 5th year of his passing away. God Bless and we will always remember him because he was one of a kind.
RT xr

Morristown, NJ

#182 Nov 20, 2013
Still think of him often and come back to read these comments. He was a great man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thank you from Knights of Columbus Apr '17 KofC 6320 1
News South Jersey beer distributor to layoff 128 Mar '17 rasputinsir 1
News Jill Gihorski will take reigns at CMS in January (Jul '12) Mar '17 Eddie 2
Handyman Jan '17 Benny 1
News Poll of N.J. voters shows low turnout likely fo... (Jun '10) Jan '17 Leftist Libtard 62
Mayor David Mayer Raises High Property Taxes Jan '17 Recall Mayor Davi... 1
News Concert to mark director's 20th year with Susse... Jan '17 Amy Lynn Petrie 1

Chester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chester Mortgages