Fruit Ridge area scouted for wind farms

Fruit Ridge area scouted for wind farms

There are 30 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from May 11, 2008, titled Fruit Ridge area scouted for wind farms. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

It turns out the high ground that makes the well-known Fruit Ridge area across northern Kent and Ottawa counties good for fruit-growing is also good for another kind of "farming" - commercial wind farms where ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

Greater Grand Rapids

#23 May 12, 2008
Bobbiez wrote:
<quoted text>
They fly into our sliding glass doors all the time...yikes, shouldn't have said that...now the environment police are going to come to my house and make me take down my sliding glass doors!
I use the excuse of leaving kids fingerprints on it.....I hate washing windows. Dog snot/kid prints, birds gotta see the mess on the windows......
Mark

Lovington, NM

#24 May 12, 2008
CoopMom2 wrote:
If the bird is stupid enough to fly into one of these then he deserves to die! Like they can't see the darn things to leave them alone....
Beat me to it.
Mark

Lovington, NM

#25 May 12, 2008
Gentle Taz wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts never stopped antis. You can bet that the enviroterrorists are getting ready to battle this "terrible" idea.
You're starting to sound as cynical as I am. lol

Wish I lived on a hill, I'd rent land to have one. Wonder if you could hang a deer stand from one?

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#26 May 12, 2008
Bobbiez wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes, the dead bird theory. Don't any of these idiots remember all the birds that were killed in the Exxon Valdez oil spill?
I used to work for a cellphone company back in the day when they were just getting started. Nobody wanted to let us put up towers on their land because the towers were "ugly." Guess what, 5-6 years later, we had people calling us asking us to put a tower on their land. They realized they would get paid for it AND get better reception. I think the same outcome may be true for windmills. The NIMBYS will prevail at first, and then finally someone will pull their head up out of the sand and will make a profit AND have cheaper energy. People are just so darned afraid of anything that isn't the status quo.
People are still fighting cell phone towers. They want more, but not where they have to look at them. It's themindset that they are "ugly", just like the people that don't want outdoor antennas in their neighborhood as TV antennas are "ugly". I have a 40 ft. tower up next to my house that they would call ugly. However, since I have trees in my yard, the tower tends to blend into the background and is hard to see if you're not looking for it. I lived here for over twenty years with amateur radio antennas up for most of those years and my neighbor didn't even notice my antennas or realize that I am a ham until I put my tower up.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#27 May 12, 2008
Batch 37 Pain is Good wrote:
I looked up wind power for the home.$38,000. Right.......
I saw a new SUV at a car dealership the other day that was priced at about $48,000. That $38K is more than I paid for my house!(in 1973 LOL). But people gladly pay that for a vehicle.
FireGirl

Ionia, MI

#28 May 12, 2008
welcome to GR wrote:
The article mentions Kent County, yet none of this is taking place in Kent County. Chester Township is in Ottawa County, 8'th Avenue & Gooding is also not Kent County.
Fruit Ridge is in Kent County, yet none of this is taking place near Fruit Ridge.
8'th Avenue is more than 4 miles from Fruit Ridge.
Directions aside, why can't an American company make these things? I thought the Govenor went out of the country on one of her trips to tour a factory where these were made?
Don't we have factories sitting empty here?
Don't we have workers sitting on their bums waiting for work?
Let's see, we have the land, we have the empty factories, we have the employess.....but lets' have an international company from SPAIN build these things for us.
Smart thinking!
Too bad I don't agree with it.
Don't get the cart before the horse. Before plants can be founded here they need to determine whether the wind speed and consistancy is good enough to justify. Give them time for their pilot phase then if it is determined worth their while they will be building them here becasue it will be to expensive to transport them here already built. give them tax breaks to bring it here...anything. Don't be ina hurry, tod o it right they need to take their time. Mi can not turn this around over night.

“Taz say Hi”

Holland,MI

#29 May 12, 2008
FireGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get the cart before the horse. Before plants can be founded here they need to determine whether the wind speed and consistancy is good enough to justify. Give them time for their pilot phase then if it is determined worth their while they will be building them here becasue it will be to expensive to transport them here already built. give them tax breaks to bring it here...anything. Don't be ina hurry, tod o it right they need to take their time. Mi can not turn this around over night.
Just keep an eye on the legislature so they don't pass a bill that might discourage this. And the longer it takes to get it going, the more time the antis have to gather their forces!
SLEEPIN BEAR

Holland, MI

#30 May 12, 2008
UpNorth wrote:
By the way - there are American companies that can do this, so I agree with everyone there. Here is one: http://www.lorax-energy.com/
The other main argument against wind power, other than having a giant tower looming overhead, is that they don't give consistent energy. The usual approach to this is to store the energy until it is needed. Large-scale operations are much more cost-effective than home-based operations.
Plus, there are tax incentives in most states for using wind power, since it's considered 'green'.
So is this going to be a boone for Sparta, Kent City, and Conklin or will it be stored and shiped to Sweden or points east.?
FireGirl

Ionia, MI

#31 May 13, 2008
Gentle Taz wrote:
<quoted text>
Just keep an eye on the legislature so they don't pass a bill that might discourage this. And the longer it takes to get it going, the more time the antis have to gather their forces!
I agree on that, no argument there. Even if a little good comes of it it would be worth it.
Outdoor Lover

Zeeland, MI

#32 May 13, 2008
I think wind farms are beautiful! I have seen huge wind farms in other parts of the country and there is nothing ugly about a whole hillside or field filled with giant windmills...it is pretty! And much prettier than a smoke plume from a coal burning power plant and much healthier than a nuclear facility gone bad.:-(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thank you from Knights of Columbus Apr 21 KofC 6320 1
News South Jersey beer distributor to layoff 128 Mar '17 rasputinsir 1
News Jill Gihorski will take reigns at CMS in January (Jul '12) Mar '17 Eddie 2
Handyman Jan '17 Benny 1
News Poll of N.J. voters shows low turnout likely fo... (Jun '10) Jan '17 Leftist Libtard 62
Mayor David Mayer Raises High Property Taxes Jan '17 Recall Mayor Davi... 1
News Concert to mark director's 20th year with Susse... Jan '17 Amy Lynn Petrie 1

Chester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chester Mortgages