Larison's Steak House in Chester, NJ

Full story: ChowHound 15
NJ Monthly's web site has a note saying that the former Larison's Turkey Farm, a.k.a The Puddingstone Inn, will soon reopen as Larison's Steak House. Full Story
un named

Keansburg, NJ

#1 Nov 15, 2008
yes, appears to be true - the ownwers of the Publick House have taken it over. Hopefully food, service and everything will be better than there where it is very poor and below industry standards.
Johnny D

Flemington, NJ

#2 Nov 19, 2008
Well I am sorry you don't like the Publick House, but it appears to me that alot of people don't share your opinion. The Publick House is a great place to go, and I frequent it very often with my family and friend. I don't know your idea of a restaurant the is "industry standards". Apparently you must not know much about the restaurant industry because its over and above industry standards. I think Larison's will be a great addition especially with what they have done to the Publick House. I can't wait for them to open. Please next time leave your name mr or mrs un named.
un named wrote:
yes, appears to be true - the ownwers of the Publick House have taken it over. Hopefully food, service and everything will be better than there where it is very poor and below industry standards.
Jack Frost

AOL

#3 Dec 1, 2008
dont mind un named, she is from Mendham...need I have to say more?
Jim M

Vernon, NJ

#4 Dec 18, 2008
I read un named three times and can't figure out if they were talking about the Public House or The Pudding stone. The Public House is a great place, The Pudding Stone was an awful place. Bad service, bad attitude and an owner who is a bitch!
I've been to the new improved Larison's but only for drinks. I did talk to the owner Joe and he told me he's changing the menu around a little after only two weeks open. Nothing out of the ordinary since he did the same thing with the Public house until he got the mix he wanted. Can't wait to have a nice steak there.
Jim M

Vernon, NJ

#5 Dec 18, 2008
I'm not from Port Murray!
restaurant-goer

Newton, NJ

#6 Jan 3, 2009
Sorry, but my experience at the "new" Larisons was terrible. We were so sad to see the old Larisons leave and were very excited to see this reincarnation. The service to some of the worst I've seen in this area. Second, my "blackened" salmon came out after my family had finished eating. When it arrived, it was so salty I had to send it back. The server told me that "blackened" is always salty. I've had "blackened" 100 times and never was it inedible. When it was re-made, it arrived almost uncooked. My now, my family was done was bored to tears. I sent it back and got the check. Starving, I headed over to the check out the new Sally Lunn's dinner menu. I had a marvelous dinner (with professional service) while my family enjoyed superb desserts!! Such a disappointment in the "new" Larisons.
BKS

South Plainfield, NJ

#7 Jan 7, 2009
Rich varga is the chef at Larison's.....I would stay away. No talent sticks to him like white on rice.
un named

Chester, NJ

#8 Mar 6, 2009
The steaks were good though my husband's was compromised by an unannounced Vidalia Onion sauce.

However, the drinks were $10.00 each. Very unreasonable for this area. This would definitely lead us to other restaurants in the area. Same old inside as Puddingstone Inn.

Nothing special.
mendham again

Keansburg, NJ

#9 Mar 18, 2009
In regards to a restaurant that is below industry standards, may I point out a recent article in the Observer Tribune quoting that 11 workers walked out for lack of wages - tips at that! Apparently you are the one that is wrong - if it was good then they would have no problem paying their staff. Perhaps that is why so many folks say they are so rude. Just read the other sites and talk around town. And yes, I did give them a final chance - must have been the weekend that the staff walked out.
Sarah B

Spring Valley, NY

#10 Mar 19, 2009
We've always enjoyed the Publick House and have been to Larison's several times since they reopened. The food has been great and I thought the drinks were standard priced. They changed the menu a little, we had a great prime rib dinner Tuesday. No unannounced sauces and cooked perfectly.
Restaurant Freak

Colts Neck, NJ

#11 Apr 10, 2009
mendham again wrote:
In regards to a restaurant that is below industry standards, may I point out a recent article in the Observer Tribune quoting that 11 workers walked out for lack of wages - tips at that! Apparently you are the one that is wrong - if it was good then they would have no problem paying their staff. Perhaps that is why so many folks say they are so rude. Just read the other sites and talk around town. And yes, I did give them a final chance - must have been the weekend that the staff walked out.
In response to your comment. I wish you would get your facts straight, because I visited Larison's after supposedly the staff walked out. There was no walk out of staff at Larison's. I assure you if you would go there to ask they would verify the story. So I wish you would get your facts straight before opening up your mouth. I am sure these people are trying very hard in respect to first of all starting up in a location where pretty much everyone has failed lately, and also doing it in a tough economy. I commend them for their courage and love of the business. Welcome to CHESTER!!!!!!!
Long Valley resident

Brookhaven, PA

#12 May 5, 2009
Why can't anyone bring back the old Larisons? I recall waiting 1-2hrs for that food. They must have been making $$$. Why stop a good thing?
Long Time L V Resident

Kenilworth, NJ

#13 May 29, 2009
There is no way to bring back the old Larison's. It was supported by the Lion's Club flea market which formerly took place every warm weekend in the location where the nearly empty, upscale mall is now located (Across from the Shop-Rite). The flea market would pack the town with visitors every weekend. Many residents did not appreciate the traffic, so the license was not renewed and the market moved to Dover I think. The field was empty for many years and then the useless mall was built.
I am not in the restaurant business, but it seems to me that the former Larison's location is now simply too large/expensive to be economically viable without the flea market. A series of purveyors have failed while other, smaller local restaurants do well.
sad NJ resident

Monroe Township, NJ

#14 Jul 30, 2009
I was looking forward to taking my son to the "old larisons" unfortunate for all of us that this has happened.. We would only get out there every few years.. The first time I went was when I was a child and I'm now in my 40's... I live about an hour away but always looked forward to going... I'm sure if the current owner brought back the home cooked family style turkey dinner and actually advertised it they're restaurant would be doing better than ever especially in this economy when people are looking for a great deal and great times!!!!

Wish the old Larison's would go back to the good ole way!!! xo and because it isn't I'm not driving an hour to have steak????
sad NJ resident

Monroe Township, NJ

#15 Jul 30, 2009
Long Valley resident wrote:
Why can't anyone bring back the old Larisons? I recall waiting 1-2hrs for that food. They must have been making $$$. Why stop a good thing?
I agree 100% I remember waiting and the food was home made.. it was great.. and why not bring it back???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paper Safe Shredding Event Sep 10 fremax 1
Review: Longbridge Sep 4 Lisa J 1
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Succasunna, NJ (Apr '12) Sep 1 Resident 11
5 Things to Do in the Region (Nov '13) Nov '13 kyle leon 1
Central Theatre is proud to present William Sha... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Jeff Hogan 1
Review: LE Mirage For Hair (Sep '13) Sep '13 Tom 3
Accident in Chester yesterday... (Jul '13) Jul '13 rose 2
•••

Chester News Video

•••
•••

Chester Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••