Chester Mental Health facility to close

There are 20 comments on the Sep 9, 2011, KSDK-TV Saint Louis story titled Chester Mental Health facility to close. In it, KSDK-TV Saint Louis reports that:

This very serious situation not only affects locals, but also people who travel more than an hour to get to work.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSDK-TV Saint Louis.

Really

Wentzville, MO

#21 Sep 14, 2011
Do any of you have any idea what goes on inside CMH? The most violent criminals and people so severely mentally ill that they cannot be in normal society. The employees are Chester are specially trained to deal with these people. These patients are sent to CMS because a regular prison or psychiatric hospital can't handle them. Go ahead and laugh, if Quinn closes CMH a lot of those patients will end up back on the streets of Illinois because no other state run facility cam or will take them. So if one of the pedophiles or murders ends up harming your family just remember you all wanted this because of your complete and utter bias against state employees. Be careful what you ask for because you might just get it.
Micrtel Group

Sparta, IL

#22 Sep 16, 2011
Why are we being bad mouthed on a site about CMH.
First of all the jobs at the hotel are not Minimum wage jobs. They may be at Reid’s but not at the Microtel. The jobs there are going to be union jobs with benefits. There will be 14 jobs to start more to come as business picks up. We know the 14 jobs we are going to provide will not make up for the ones that may be lost. Both Chester and Randolph County need to look to Effingham and Mt Vernon and see why they need more people to fill jobs. Why are they doing so well in a poor economy? It is time to stop bitching! It’s time to do what ever it takes to get the job done to build the local and county economy then in return the state will begin to grow. If you don’t agree sit down shut up and get out of the way. It is time for people with goals that have not made their millions to take their dreams and move forward

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#23 Sep 17, 2011
Micrtel Group wrote:
Why are we being bad mouthed on a site about CMH.
First of all the jobs at the hotel are not Minimum wage jobs. They may be at Reid’s but not at the Microtel. The jobs there are going to be union jobs with benefits. There will be 14 jobs to start more to come as business picks up. We know the 14 jobs we are going to provide will not make up for the ones that may be lost. Both Chester and Randolph County need to look to Effingham and Mt Vernon and see why they need more people to fill jobs. Why are they doing so well in a poor economy? It is time to stop bitching! It’s time to do what ever it takes to get the job done to build the local and county economy then in return the state will begin to grow. If you don’t agree sit down shut up and get out of the way. It is time for people with goals that have not made their millions to take their dreams and move forward
its nothing against you personally, its all about addind and subtracting from the local economy. when mircotel goes up that 14+ jobs and revenue for the chester economy. now subtract the hundreds of jobs from mental health closing and all the revenue lost from them shutting their doors. no offense but mircotel is a drop in the bucket compaired to cmh. mircotel is land mess topped off with isolationism. cmh closing is a big fucking problem for the local economy, i know none of this concerns you, but as if this moment you arent the biggest problem in chester so why dont you shut up
chesterite

Carbondale, IL

#24 Sep 17, 2011
Well said Random! I can not believe how unprofessional this mictrotel group has been from the very beginning. There is only one reason this group would be pushing their plan on the citizens like this. why? because they get something out of it not because they genuinely care about chester citizens. Anyone that has a brain can figure that out. Anyone that has a brain can also spell their f#&kin company name right.
Joe Cool

United States

#25 Sep 18, 2011
Really wrote:
Do any of you have any idea what goes on inside CMH? The most violent criminals and people so severely mentally ill that they cannot be in normal society. The employees are Chester are specially trained to deal with these people. These patients are sent to CMS because a regular prison or psychiatric hospital can't handle them. Go ahead and laugh, if Quinn closes CMH a lot of those patients will end up back on the streets of Illinois because no other state run facility cam or will take them. So if one of the pedophiles or murders ends up harming your family just remember you all wanted this because of your complete and utter bias against state employees. Be careful what you ask for because you might just get it.
I'm retired from CMH, and yes, we always got the patients they couldn't handle (or didn't want to bother with, sometimes) at the other facilities. My guess is that if they close CMH, then those facilities will be forced to deal with those patients.
And another point: a lot of employees at CMH are from surrounding towns as well as Chester, so if it closes, it will have a ripple effect on Sparta, Steeleville, and other towns' economies as well.
Joe Cool

United States

#26 Sep 18, 2011
And by the way, Really, good post, right on target. Since you seem to know what you're talking about, are you an employee there?
Micrtel Group

Sparta, IL

#27 Sep 19, 2011
r_a_n_d_o_m wrote:
<quoted text>
its nothing against you personally, its all about addind and subtracting from the local economy. when mircotel goes up that 14+ jobs and revenue for the chester economy. now subtract the hundreds of jobs from mental health closing and all the revenue lost from them shutting their doors. no offense but mircotel is a drop in the bucket compaired to cmh. mircotel is land mess topped off with isolationism. cmh closing is a big fucking problem for the local economy, i know none of this concerns you, but as if this moment you arent the biggest problem in chester so why dont you shut up
This was not from the Mirotel Group. We agree the CMH closing is a big deal and have all hopes it is political move and does not come to be.
Reality Check

United States

#28 Sep 19, 2011
chesterite wrote:
Well said Random! I can not believe how unprofessional this mictrotel group has been from the very beginning. There is only one reason this group would be pushing their plan on the citizens like this. why? because they get something out of it not because they genuinely care about chester citizens. Anyone that has a brain can figure that out. Anyone that has a brain can also spell their f#&kin company name right.
So has the Reid's group with their awful caps lock type signs, manipulated propaganda, and cherry-picked data on occupancy. Occupancy is not relevant. Profit is.
The Microtel group has not been run professionally, but the key difference is that they are not part of a group that has opposed all progress in Chester. People like Reid, Stallman, Kipp, and Welge have opposed, among other things:
- A SWIC extension
- TG coming to Chester
- Routing of a four-lane between St. Louis and Carbondale
I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted CHMC shut down. Silence is consent, if they don't protest this people will question Welge and Reid on this. T
We know how Welge feels on unions. More unions will be moving out which can't threaten the Welge family fortune. After all it will be more people either moving elsewhere, for example to the Metro East or Chicago, or out of Illinois altogether. Either that, or take minimum wage jobs at GML or Reid's motel or resturaunt.
Morally, I oppose TIF, and wish for Microtel to come without TIF, but you people make it so difficult for me to stand on the same side as you. I wish Welge and Reid would leave Chester instead. We will take good, Unionized jobs instead. They will raise this community up from the dirt you people push us into.
THE WHOLE TRUTH

Marion, IL

#29 Sep 19, 2011
Of course occupancy is relevant. How can you dismiss that. It directly affects profit. I think it's ignorant to group opposers to this project with other business people in town. Do you really know the facts about other business coming to Chester? No you don't and you probably heard what you did through the politic grape vine. Question? Why would Welge not want a new business here? There is no good reason. It would not effect his business at all. All he did was stand up to not using the TIF. Just like you he opposed the TIF. The only people that are trying to make sides of this issue is our city leaders along with their political messengers. Their strategy: Make the people of Chester believe that Welge and people with "money" want to control the town by trying to stop progress so that they (city adlerman and mayor) can be validated to vote for the TIF since it would be againse Welge.
Reality Check

United States

#30 Sep 19, 2011
First of all sir, don't put words in my mouth. I don't group any of the other people running business in our fine town with any of the people I mentioned. Secondly occupancy means nothing without profit. You can have all the occupancy in the world but if your business plan does not have profit you don't have a chance. Also you can have relatively low occupancy but if your business is run correctly you can still profit.
Third, of all the projects I mentioned that Welge opposed, only one is a business. However all of them would raise the standard of living and wages in the area. Welge needs those to stay low so he can buy out more food companies. That is his true business model. Mergers and acquisitions baby. It makes him rich, and it makes Wall Street rich, but it robs this community of money. I know all the facts I can see the minutes to prior City Councils. As far as the City Council goes, I think their priorities are also misplaced, and by that I mean every single one of them, the entire lot needs to go. I have no issue personally with Reid, I just would rather him work with the people of CMHC because without CHMC, we will not be able to support either place. It is a matter of priorities.

Location hidden

#31 Sep 19, 2011
if we had good business men running things instead of politicians we wouldnt have this problem to begin with, keeping jobs should be a priority over creating jobs. take that tif money and roll it back into the budget to keep places like cmh open. once we stabilize then we worry about job creation
jeffylube

Naperville, IL

#32 Sep 25, 2011
what people don't seem to relize is that it will be extremely expensive to retrofit the facilities they plan on tranfering these unstable and extremely dangerous criminals. I HAVE HEARD estimates upwards of 21 million dollars. one of the communities considered is near a residental area and public park. If the security is not absolutely airtight the danger to the general public is too much for a normal community. It is not even sensiable to even considering to closing this facility since the present facility is next to a maximum security prison and that if any does happen the general public is not in danger. I don't think the governor wants on his conscience of people being kill or maimed by thses terribly disturbed people
Justice

Chester, IL

#33 Sep 26, 2011
How come only one person has commented on the Workman's Comp??? What if we all follow suite? Can an associate from Walmart sue for Carpal Tunnel? How about our Police Officers? I am sure lots of hard-working factory employees have issues also. Certain jobs require physical labor...that is just a fact you know when you get hired. What if we ALL sue?? The hard-working people in this "poor" town/state have to pick up the slack because the state cannot pay the schools, medical professions, public services; they have too many lawsuits to pay. Part of me is jealous that so many people already have home paid off and a college savings account for their kids, yet I have to work 50 hours a week with horrible health insurance just to make ends meet. Does my jealousy lead me to a lawsuit with my current employer? No. I know many people who have benefited from this crazy justice system and they are good people, but someone needs to realize this will all be detrimental to our kids' futures (schools, state jobs, etc). I believe that we are only seeing the beginning of it with the threat of Mental Health closing.
Justice

Chester, IL

#34 Sep 26, 2011
Sorry...my grammar mistake above is driving me insane. What if we all follow suite - should say suit.
meo

Sparta, IL

#35 Sep 26, 2011
THE WHOLE TRUTH wrote:
Of course occupancy is relevant. How can you dismiss that. It directly affects profit. I think it's ignorant to group opposers to this project with other business people in town. Do you really know the facts about other business coming to Chester? No you don't and you probably heard what you did through the politic grape vine. Question? Why would Welge not want a new business here? There is no good reason. It would not effect his business at all. All he did was stand up to not using the TIF. Just like you he opposed the TIF. The only people that are trying to make sides of this issue is our city leaders along with their political messengers. Their strategy: Make the people of Chester believe that Welge and people with "money" want to control the town by trying to stop progress so that they (city adlerman and mayor) can be validated to vote for the TIF since it would be againse Welge.
Don Welge and crew should have tried to stop the TIF back in 1997. Why are Don and Brad quoted in the Southern Illinoisan that hotel should not be built at all. Brad Reid stated he did not get to provide “accurate information” to the study. What part of “Independent Study” does he not understand? Brads father had the option of using tif to build his hotel – they talked about forming a district just for the hotel. That was stated in the July 15 City Council Meeting. Don has called aldermen offering the old bank building as payment for the "right vote" Is that a voice aginst tif? Is using a $1500.00 an hour lawyer out of Saint louis to force a no vote. No they are using their finincial weight to push their agenda.
meo

Sparta, IL

#36 Sep 26, 2011
r_a_n_d_o_m wrote:
if we had good business men running things instead of politicians we wouldnt have this problem to begin with, keeping jobs should be a priority over creating jobs. take that tif money and roll it back into the budget to keep places like cmh open. once we stabilize then we worry about job creation
The tif can not be just canceled. The tif district has obligations. It must run until the end of the TIF under State Law. If the CMH property is in the TIF then tif funds can be used to help keep it open. And we can not just stop trying to create jobs and “stabilize” that is called stagnant. We must save what we can and build at the same time.

Location hidden

#37 Sep 26, 2011
meo wrote:
<quoted text>The tif can not be just canceled. The tif district has obligations. It must run until the end of the TIF under State Law. If the CMH property is in the TIF then tif funds can be used to help keep it open. And we can not just stop trying to create jobs and “stabilize” that is called stagnant. We must save what we can and build at the same time.
if your hemorrhaging you dont go run a marathon you stop the bleeding, and dont tell me what cant be done ive been alive long enough to see the world change by a signature and a hand shake. they passed it thay can repeal it simple as that

Location hidden

#38 Sep 26, 2011
Justice wrote:
How come only one person has commented on the Workman's Comp??? What if we all follow suite? Can an associate from Walmart sue for Carpal Tunnel? How about our Police Officers? I am sure lots of hard-working factory employees have issues also. Certain jobs require physical labor...that is just a fact you know when you get hired. What if we ALL sue?? The hard-working people in this "poor" town/state have to pick up the slack because the state cannot pay the schools, medical professions, public services; they have too many lawsuits to pay. Part of me is jealous that so many people already have home paid off and a college savings account for their kids, yet I have to work 50 hours a week with horrible health insurance just to make ends meet. Does my jealousy lead me to a lawsuit with my current employer? No. I know many people who have benefited from this crazy justice system and they are good people, but someone needs to realize this will all be detrimental to our kids' futures (schools, state jobs, etc). I believe that we are only seeing the beginning of it with the threat of Mental Health closing.
no one sued for workmans comp, any claim is sent to commettee and voted on, problem here was some one on the commettee side was green lighting pay offs with out looking into the situation, its abuse of the system that has been found out. but thanks for being so poetic about something you clearly know nothing about
confuzed

Marion, IL

#39 Nov 12, 2011
can men and women get locked up in
this place.

“Funny lady”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#40 Jan 21, 2012
Joe Cool wrote:
And by the way, Really, good post, right on target. Since you seem to know what you're talking about, are you an employee there?
No but my husband was. He retired Dec 2011

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Biggest whor€s in Chester. 3 hr CountryBoy 18
Smitty 9 hr Angel 11
Review: Wally's Original Itallian Cuisine (Jan '14) Sat Chesterfirst 32
Bernaseks Fri lcsw4 5
Wally's Fri chester native 2
chester confessional Apr 24 JPP 5
Courtney Ray Apr 22 Happy 1
More from around the web

Chester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE