Comments
21 - 34 of 34 Comments Last updated Feb 4, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
viewer

Cabin Creek, WV

#22 Jun 9, 2010
Can someone give directions to Holly Grove Cemetery.
viewer

Cabin Creek, WV

#23 Jun 21, 2010
I found the Holly Grove Cemetery. I would appreciate if anyone would post any information of local cemeteries. I am interested in the Pratt and Handley areas or information on historians in the area. Thanks.
Richard Szasz

United States

#24 Aug 17, 2010
Mary Armstrong. Yes, William Wolfe was my greatgrandfather. Dosha Wolfe was an aunt of mine. Never married. For many a number of years, I always heard her call Poppy Wolfe daddy. It was until I was about 14 years old that I found out why. Poppy Wolfe had 4 other daughters. Gaye Wolfe, Lilly Wolfe. The other names slip my mind right now. Gaye Wolfe, aka as Ni-Ni to her grandchildren is my grandmother. My mother was Barbara Lou Martin, my dad James G. Szasz. Dad and his family lived in Ward, WVa. Both my mom and dad have passed on. I live in Aiken, SC with my wife Lola. I have a daughter, one, and two grandsons.

Goshen, IN

#25 Jan 22, 2012
clara your grandma was my aunt im your cousin live in elkhart ind im donna minnie was my mom phillis knows her shes gone now about all the older ones are seen your name on topix bout living in big mt we use to come see aunt clara ruby delphi marie mullins im on face book under donna mcclure take care cousin

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#26 Jan 22, 2012
not from those parts wrote:
Can anyone tell me a shopping center or a strip mall in East Bank? I'm not from there and needing to meet someone on Tuesday morning very early and leave my car a few hours. Seems a mall would be an appropriate place to leave it. I know nothing about East Bank. Please post to the forum and help me out and thanks in advance.
there is nothing in east bank but a dollar general and a middle school .. Besides the residence in the town itself.
sneezy

Charleston, WV

#27 Jan 22, 2012
Richard Szasz wrote:
Once being a residence of Cedar Grove, I think back of the memories of growing up there. My Dad worked for Belle Operations, DuPont in Belle, W.Va.
He took a transfer to South Carolina,a DuPont Operations known by most as the "Bomb Plant" in the early 50s'. There were many a time I would spend with my greatgrandfather, William Wolfe. He lived right on the river next to a coal tipple. My grandparents, Carl and Gaye Martin lived directly in front of them on the street facing the railroad track. We lived further up the street towards the post office.My Dad and my grandfather helped in the construction of Cedar Grove Methodist and to this day I still have the church bulletin outlining the dedication ceremonies. Also many of my descendants are buried in area cemeteries around Cedar Grove. Would like to hear from other persons that may possibly lived in Cedar Grove or may have had relatives that lived there.
Richrd Martin Szasz
There is a group on facebook 'TAKE BACK OUR TOWN : CEDAR GROVE' they post old pics of CG, there are some that they are trying to figure out who is in the pic...there are a lot of people that remember from back then...you should join. There are two with the same name, you want to join the one that has 233 members.

Since: Jul 13

United States

#28 Jul 6, 2013
my grandfather is from cedar grove and around or during ww2 he owned the Texaco and the Hudnall bus line there. His name was lance (lancealot) lee hudnall. I have recently found this info on him and am interested in finding out more about him or anybody related. i know there are pics posted on his grave site page of him and a few other gentlemen from back then with his bus. his second wife was mable and they had 5 children.
Richard Szasz

United States

#29 Jul 10, 2013
yes, William S. Wolfe was my great grandfather. His daughter, Dosha was my great aunt. She never married. The house just in front of them, the back of the house facing the front of Wolfe house were my grandparents Carl and Gay Martin. My mother was Barbara Lou Martin.
Spent many a summers when ever we would visit playing around Poppy's house as that is what we called him. I'm not sure, but some of the descendants may still be living in that area. We left WV around 1951 - 52. My dad, James Szasz worked at DuPont, Belle Operations. When he heard that the federal government was going to build a new plant in SC, dad asked for a transfer. During the early years it was called the "Bomb Plant", because of nuclear weapons processing. My dad and his family lived in Ward. My parents, sister, lived one the corner of Williams St. and Alexander.
Diana

Liberty, IN

#30 Jul 14, 2013
This awesome to hear you all talking about Cedar Grove my grandparents lived there for years I do not remember what stret they lived on but it was the green house on the corner of the alley I use to go out in the back yard and hear them singing over at the church. My grandparents were Allen and Margery Bland. My mom grew up in Cedar Grove her name was Helen Bland and she married Edgar Foster. would love to hear more about Cedar Grove.
B Stone

Charleston, WV

#31 Jul 14, 2013
My,my I have so many good memories of CG as a child I grew up there and we lived on Alexander street. It was a good an quiet town then. Like someone else said we had the park and a lot of good times there. We (my siblings) we all raised there and turned out to be respectable people with great jobs, which our Mother was responsible for. My Mom worked at CG Furniture and she worked and raised us all to be functional and to appreciate the rules of life. The Smiths, Spauldings, Dangerfields, and all the other great parents taught us well. Like someone in another story earlier said, when I hear a train whistle, it brings back a lot of good memories. NO DRUGS either! I no longer live there, but I know it is nothing like it was then.
no2 guest

Charleston, WV

#32 Jul 20, 2013
you people need to go on cedar grove community school.Dosha Wolfe sold avon for yrs.Fred Speck run the water works but John Starks worked there for town.Jimmy Hudnall im pretty sure your poppaw was John fat hudnall.
Thomas MacGahee

Belle, WV

#33 Aug 14, 2013
My dad always talked about John Hudnall, told us there wasn't a nicer man to know and that he would do anything for us if we asked.
Fred Mullins

Charleston, WV

#34 Jan 17, 2014
Born and raised in Cedar Grove. Lived there from 1954 till I moved out to be on my own to Charleston in 1974. Our home was on the street facing the high school between Johnny Bess and Mathew Kingsolving. Best years of my life.
Tom Inghram

Canal Winchester, OH

#35 Feb 4, 2014
Hi folks, sure glad to see your posts. I lived in Cedar Grove from 1933(born) until 1977 when company transferred me to Lancaster, Ohio.
Attended Cedar Grove Grade and Jr. High school on Alexander Street. Later went to East Bank and graduated in 1951. CG was a great little town when the coal mines were active. The lower coal tipple was ran by the Warner Colliery Co. And the upriver tipple was ran by Valley Camp Coal Co. My Dad was fireman on the old steam engines of the K.C.&N.W. Railroad and later Engineer on the diesels. Had an uncle, George, that maintained the steam and diesels engines. Another uncle, Leo, did same for Warner. Another uncle, Sam, taught at Old and new CG jr high and sr. High schools. Was also Coach. More at another time. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesapeake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 37 min Mgtn Res 57,030
places for rent 15 hr lol 5
Brian Tucker (Oct '11) 16 hr Wondering friend 11
Buddy 21 hr Truth 99
Holly Borque Thu Smh 15
Buddy Tessling Thu Truth 48
pokey Thu used 1
•••
•••
•••

Chesapeake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000