First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Richard Szasz

Walterboro, SC

#1 Mar 29, 2007
Once being a residence of Cedar Grove, I think back of the memories of growing up there. My Dad worked for Belle Operations, DuPont in Belle, W.Va.
He took a transfer to South Carolina,a DuPont Operations known by most as the "Bomb Plant" in the early 50s'. There were many a time I would spend with my greatgrandfather, William Wolfe. He lived right on the river next to a coal tipple. My grandparents, Carl and Gaye Martin lived directly in front of them on the street facing the railroad track. We lived further up the street towards the post office.My Dad and my grandfather helped in the construction of Cedar Grove Methodist and to this day I still have the church bulletin outlining the dedication ceremonies. Also many of my descendants are buried in area cemeteries around Cedar Grove. Would like to hear from other persons that may possibly lived in Cedar Grove or may have had relatives that lived there.

Richrd Martin Szasz
sue

Southfield, MI

#2 Nov 24, 2007
i lived in cedar grove from 1947to1964. ilived on the river front and on the road that went up to highway .i still here the train and have soon manywonderful memiors about cedar grove.my mother was madaline richard .im sue
jeff

Wapakoneta, OH

#3 Mar 21, 2008
im from cedar grove i lived in big mountain my mom and dad were phyliss and rob hudnall
not from those parts

United States

#4 Mar 22, 2008
Can anyone tell me a shopping center or a strip mall in East Bank? I'm not from there and needing to meet someone on Tuesday morning very early and leave my car a few hours. Seems a mall would be an appropriate place to leave it. I know nothing about East Bank. Please post to the forum and help me out and thanks in advance.
christal

AOL

#5 Mar 28, 2008
i remember coming to school on sep 17 07 not seeing my bffe tyler artis and then finding out he was killed in a car accedent sep 15 morgan town,wv
Denise Bess Higginbotham

United States

#6 Apr 12, 2008
I am not from Cedar Grove, but my parents are. We moved here when my dad got out of the Army. When I was a kid, there were parks and empty lots where we could play ball, spotlight, etc & our parents didn't have to worry about us. The town had street parties & firemen's festivals. I also remember fireworks behind the school on the 4th. I choose to live here & make this my home town, but the drugs & thieves have made my children want to make their homes elsewhere. It's hard for them to believe the stories of this town that I cherish from many years ago. My biggest wish is to see this town become the way it was then. If that were to happen, maybe my children wouldn't be ashamed to tell people where they are from.

Since: Mar 07

Knoxville, TN

#7 Feb 20, 2009
sue wrote:
i lived in cedar grove from 1947to1964. ilived on the river front and on the road that went up to highway .i still here the train and have soon manywonderful memiors about cedar grove.my mother was madaline richard .im sue
Hi Sue,
Sorry I haven't kept up with this to much. I apoligize for the late reply. We lived on Williams street on a corner about two blocks up from Cedar Grove Methodist Church. I still have a church bulletin on the dedication services for the church. I to have some great memories of Cedar Grove even though we left the area around 1952. My dad worked for DuPont, Belle Operations. DuPont was starting construction on a plant here in South Carolina so my dad requested a transfer. By the way, I was born 1946. My grandparents were Carl Martin and Luvica Gaye Martin. As I said in my previous post my ggrandfather lived right on the river next to a coal tipple. I used to play around that place a lot watching the coal cars being brought in and being emptied in two river barges below. Haven't been back to that area since 1978.

Richard Martin Szasz

Since: Mar 07

Knoxville, TN

#8 Feb 20, 2009
jeff wrote:
im from cedar grove i lived in big mountain my mom and dad were phyliss and rob hudnall
Hi Jeff,
Great to hear from you. Sorry I got to this post so lot. I haven't kept up with it much since my last post. You mentioned a Hudnall name. At present I live in South Carolina. I used to hang around with a friend of mine with the last name of Hudnall. They to were form the area. Not sure where though.
As a young boy we used to live on Williams Street in Cedar Grove. For about two years now, I have being trying to find someone that may have some old photos of the area that they would be willing to share. Can you help.
Please respond via e-mail:
wvmtneer24@hotmail.com
John A Starks

Las Vegas, NV

#9 Jun 23, 2009
My Father grew up in Cedar Grove, CWO John A. Starks 3rd,his father John A. Starks and wife Thelma workman Starks had lived and raised several children there,Those children being John, Donald,Quindola,and Gary Starks. I visited a few times during my life, and sometimes miss the closeness one finds in such a small town and wish much happness and good will to all those who are family and friends of the Starks..........John A. Starks IV
John A Starks

Las Vegas, NV

#10 Jun 23, 2009
jeff wrote:
My Father was close friends with one of your Family he often spoke of The Hudnall name and the first name eludes me anyway good luck and take care
Richard Szasz

United States

#11 Jun 27, 2009
Does anyone remember the old coal tipple down on the river? I used to play around that place a lot watching the coal cars going into the tipple and the coal being dumped into a barge on the river. I caught my first fish from there. A big old catfish using aome bologna as a bait. My greatgrandfather lived right next to the tipple. A lot of memories from those days.
Richard Szasz

United States

#12 Jun 27, 2009
John, What was your father's name and how did he come to know my family name?
John A Starks IV

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Jun 27, 2009
Richard Szasz wrote:
John, What was your father's name and how did he come to know my family name?
Richard, My father's name is John Allen Starks III,i can account for meeting one of your family member's while we passed through Ceder grove,one time my father was being deployed to Viet Nam, i really can not recall his name, however he came by my grandparents home and stayed awhile meeting with my dad. I also played near the river in the old coal facility you talked of, also at some points fishing there also, my grandfather ran the water treatment plant there in Cedar Grove, He also was John A.Starks
Richard Szasz

Knoxville, TN

#14 Jun 28, 2009
John, Just wondering if you might be familiar with a Nadine Martin. I have a picture of her at her house in Cedar Grove. You can see the river in the background. By the way, the house that was next to the coal tipple was my greatgrandfather William S. Wolfe. Many a nights we spent in the back yard catching lightning bugs, putting them in a mason jar. We also would catch june bugs, tie a string to one of their legs and let them fly around. That was fun.
John A Starks

Las Vegas, NV

#15 Jun 29, 2009
Richard Szasz wrote:
John, Just wondering if you might be familiar with a Nadine Martin. I have a picture of her at her house in Cedar Grove. You can see the river in the background. By the way, the house that was next to the coal tipple was my greatgrandfather William S. Wolfe. Many a nights we spent in the back yard catching lightning bugs, putting them in a mason jar. We also would catch june bugs, tie a string to one of their legs and let them fly around. That was fun.
Richard,the names of non family members elude me, as a matter of fact family members names are getting to elude me at this point.I really do not recall the name richard however, locations like your grandfathers home i can recall, having played on the coal bardges and having fished that part of the river,and having read other clips, i was assigned to S.R.P.{Savannah river plant}back in the 1980's while with USOPM.Having growen up mainly in europe, it was strange and quiet coming back to see my Fathers side of the family there in Ceder Grove, i also have pictures from back say the 1940-1970,of differant ocassions.
Richard Szasz

United States

#16 Jun 29, 2009
John, Great hearing from you again. Do any of those pictures show the town itself, individual houses or what? Sure would love to see some of them.
By the way, my dad, James Szasz worked for at Savannah River Plant also. Back then though it was DuPont. The most prolific time of that era was times during the Cuban Missle Crisis and the Cold War. My dad was a transfer from Belle Operations, DuPont in Belle, WVa.

Richard
llhudnall

Charleston, WV

#17 Aug 28, 2009
If anyone is interested in old pictures of Cedar Grove, the Ward Reunion Books are a great source. Also there some cds available w/ a pictorial history of Cedar Grove and surrounding areas. The Cedar Grove Town Hall is currently selling the latest reunion books and Peggy Coleman has the information on the cds. I live in an old home on Alexander St that is close to the old tipple area. We have restored the interior and are still working on the exterior. We have tried to maintain the integrity of the original home, it is 100 years old. There are several community projects in the process at this time. I also attend Cedar Grove United Methodist Church and with its very small congregation, I am afraid its days are numbered. The neighborhood is improving, come see us sometime.
C Basham

Beltsville, MD

#18 May 10, 2010
Richard &/or John, I am also from Cedar Grove,left in 1955. There were two river tipples in town,one was Ward tipple & the other was Mammoth. Both are now gone along with all the railroad tracks that serviced them.I was back there for the East Bank H.S.Reunion in 2009.John when I left there, Fred Speck ran the Water Works so I may know your father but can't remember.I lived four houses down from the plant & then we moved to the old Walls dept store apartments before I left Wva. All the old houses in that area are also gone.
Jim Stockwell

AOL

#19 May 28, 2010
Hello, I recently found an old Coal Miners Certificate, dated 9-17-46 that belonged to my father Samuel Stockwell. The certificate says he was from Cedar Grove, WV. My father passed when I was 7 and I was just curious if anybody from Cedar Grove would remember him. My father always had a passion for cars. He later became a highly respected NHRA drag racer as well as he followed his dream. Sadly, he passed in 1969 as a result of a car accident on Michigan avenue in Ypsilanti MI.
Any information would be nice..
Thank You, Jim Stockwell
Mary Susan Armstrong

Freetown, IN

#20 Jun 4, 2010
Richard Szasz wrote:
Richard, my family lived in Cedar Grove (Williams Street) in the late 50s. We moved to Indiana in the summer of 1960 when I was 4 years old. My parents were Roy and Wanda Armstrong. My elder brother was Bill Armstrong and my sister is Patty Armstrong. Dad worked in the coal mines--don't remember which company. We were friends with Poppy Wolfe and his daughter Dosha Wolf who lived not far from us. I am wondering if Poppy was in fact your great grandfather.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesapeake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Courtney Hager (Dec '13) 5 hr KCSD 8
karma will get ya 5 hr trash talk 3
Glasgows Mayors race 7 hr None worthy 7
Buddy really 8 hr Tudors gravy and ... 67
emily williams. Thu Mark 6
Free Meth Wed Curious 6
Remey Workman Wed hah 13
Chesapeake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web