Is the Police Academy at Collins wort...

Is the Police Academy at Collins worth the time and $?

Posted in the Chesapeake Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
shoot

Chester, VA

#1 Jul 27, 2013
I have a great job, but have always wanted to pursue being a Police Officer. I'm nearing the age where it's now or never, but I can't find advice to help me make my decision. My current job is fine and I don't hate it. But what has me on the fence is the salary of a police officer is about 50-60,000 less than what I'm making now. Some of you may think I'm completely stupid , but I can't decide money, or being broke and happy .
academy

Huntington, WV

#2 Jul 28, 2013
You don't have to be a full time officer. Stay at your current job take classes in the evenings see how it goes. Your not really out much. If you don't you will always wonder " what if" that is worse then losing out on money in the long run. A lot of places will hire you afterwards on a part time fill in basis. This way you can get the best of both worlds.
shoot

Chester, VA

#3 Jul 28, 2013
academy wrote:
You don't have to be a full time officer. Stay at your current job take classes in the evenings see how it goes. Your not really out much. If you don't you will always wonder " what if" that is worse then losing out on money in the long run. A lot of places will hire you afterwards on a part time fill in basis. This way you can get the best of both worlds.
That is good advice. I have a few regrets in the past with job decisions, and hope I get it right this time.
Jus sayen

Proctorville, OH

#4 Jul 28, 2013
You will fit right in with the rest of the officers. You will be a bumb ass too!! Give up a job making that kind of money just so you can play barnyard fife
Jus sayen

Proctorville, OH

#5 Jul 28, 2013
Barney Fife
academy

Huntington, WV

#6 Jul 29, 2013
If you plan on going you need to get with them the pre admission physical is coming up soon.
shoot

Nitro, WV

#7 Jul 29, 2013
academy wrote:
If you plan on going you need to get with them the pre admission physical is coming up soon.
Ashley tordiff already called me and said aug 5th at 5:30. That sound right?
citizen

Chesapeake, OH

#8 Jul 29, 2013
Who told you they make 50-60g? A sheriff starts at less than 13 a hour.. Only one who pays decent is state troopers and they send you off for academy
academy

Huntington, WV

#9 Jul 29, 2013
Yes paperwork on the 5th and physical the following Saturday. To citizen he said they make about 60 less then what he is making currently. He never said that is what police officers make.
Jim

Huntington, WV

#10 Jul 29, 2013
Citizen, read his post again.
shoot

Vienna, WV

#11 Aug 1, 2013
academy wrote:
What type of job and pay should I expect when I graduate ? I know around 2200 officers will be retiring at the end of this year in Ohio . That being said there should be plenty of openings .
Cpcitizen

United States

#12 Aug 2, 2013
Sheriffs office pays the most in the county besides state patrol. Sheriff deputy starts out at 11.75 in the jail. You have to work at least a year in the jail and take a road test an pass to be put out on the road. I know when it's your second year on the road you get like 17.30 an hour an a pay raise every year. Deputy's handle the more serious calls, an have little to no back up since most their calls are way out in the county. They got called to my house for a domestic an my husband had a gun an was drunk an fighting an they only sent this one deputy but he got the job done
shoot

Vienna, WV

#13 Aug 2, 2013
Cpcitizen wrote:
Sheriffs office pays the most in the county besides state patrol. Sheriff deputy starts out at 11.75 in the jail. You have to work at least a year in the jail and take a road test an pass to be put out on the road. I know when it's your second year on the road you get like 17.30 an hour an a pay raise every year. Deputy's handle the more serious calls, an have little to no back up since most their calls are way out in the county. They got called to my house for a domestic an my husband had a gun an was drunk an fighting an they only sent this one deputy but he got the job done
What about the pay with city , ironton, coal grove , Chesapeake?
academy

Richmond, VA

#14 Aug 2, 2013
Proctorville and South Point both pay a little more than Chesapeake. Chesapeake is either $9 or $10 dollars and hour.
academy

Richmond, VA

#15 Aug 2, 2013
I think the best bet would be the Sheriffs dept if you can deal with the jail for a while. You also have the special events that you can work like ball games, Black Friday, they all pay really well. To get a little more action you could do the fill in hours,or part time for one of the smaller cities and still keep your regular job like I mentioned on a earlier post.
shoot

Vienna, WV

#16 Aug 2, 2013
academy wrote:
I think the best bet would be the Sheriffs dept if you can deal with the jail for a while. You also have the special events that you can work like ball games, Black Friday, they all pay really well. To get a little more action you could do the fill in hours,or part time for one of the smaller cities and still keep your regular job like I mentioned on a earlier post.
Your advice is very much appreciated . I doubt I could survive on 25k a year and certainly could not keep the same quality of living I have now. I've lost a ton of sleep with this decision lingering over my head. I may not be there Monday. I certainly would regret not doing it so I guess my time is limited to come to a final decision.
academy

Richmond, VA

#17 Aug 2, 2013
You may want to try other options like Huntington. I know they just hired but may do it again soon. They advertise at 38,000 but when I talked to one of their guys he said they can easily make around 80,000 with over time and special events. If you are having this much conflict in your decision I would at least go Monday and get more info before completely deciding. Your gut is trying to tell you something.
shoot

Vienna, WV

#18 Aug 2, 2013
academy wrote:
You may want to try other options like Huntington. I know they just hired but may do it again soon. They advertise at 38,000 but when I talked to one of their guys he said they can easily make around 80,000 with over time and special events. If you are having this much conflict in your decision I would at least go Monday and get more info before completely deciding. Your gut is trying to tell you something.
I've tested with Huntington twice and passed both physical and written civil service exam. Both times the jobs went to the guys that scored higher on the written test. The reason why I was going to do the school at collins is from my understanding its easier to be hired after you complete the course . In wv you 1st have to be hired with an agency, then they send you at their expense to the state police academy. I figured in Ohio once you complete the academy you just go out and apply until you find an office that is in need of help. Am I correct? Ohio is easier to be hired ?
academy

Richmond, VA

#19 Aug 2, 2013
shoot wrote:
<quoted text>I've tested with Huntington twice and passed both physical and written civil service exam. Both times the jobs went to the guys that scored higher on the written test. The reason why I was going to do the school at collins is from my understanding its easier to be hired after you complete the course . In wv you 1st have to be hired with an agency, then they send you at their expense to the state police academy. I figured in Ohio once you complete the academy you just go out and apply until you find an office that is in need of help. Am I correct? Ohio is easier to be hired ?
Yes, I two have tested in West Virginia and it is harder but if you were looking for better pay I thought it may be a better option. I've known other people who have tested in West Virginia with no luck and have went through Ohio and are happy. It all depends on what is best for you and your family. It's like other jobs if this is what you want you start out little but you are not stuck in that position for life. Things come along to move you up in pay or advancements with other agency. It's a stepping ground to whatever you make if it.
academy

Chesapeake, OH

#20 Aug 5, 2013
shoot wrote:
<quoted text>I've tested with Huntington twice and passed both physical and written civil service exam. Both times the jobs went to the guys that scored higher on the written test. The reason why I was going to do the school at collins is from my understanding its easier to be hired after you complete the course . In wv you 1st have to be hired with an agency, then they send you at their expense to the state police academy. I figured in Ohio once you complete the academy you just go out and apply until you find an office that is in need of help. Am I correct? Ohio is easier to be hired ?
Well today's the day what did you decide?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesapeake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stop tailgating people doing the speedlimit 1 hr Get out of the le... 6
Finally we will praise Allah (Dec '10) 3 hr Mike 45
Anthony Adams 5 hr Anthony 7
Veronica Webb 6 hr oh no 9
I saw someone important 6 hr hookerlivesmatter 3
Anyone know that Randolph fellow that got DUI i... 7 hr WVstrong 1
New Fence 9 hr yes for ems 3

Chesapeake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance