Who needs the airport?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HUMMMM

Proctorville, OH

#1 Jul 16, 2013
Almost all of the owners of planes at the Chesapeake Airport live out of state Why should Lawrence County furnish this group of owner/pilots this cut rate airport? This is extremely valuable industrial property that earns the county "no taxes"! I firmly believe that the airport needs to be gone and this property converted into a type of property that benefits all of the local area and the county. This should bring in thousands of dollars in tax revenue instead of the county catering to a few "elite" and costing the county. My Goodness, some of the hanger rents are over a year in arrears. Seems like "Attitude Aviation" wants their cake and eat it too. We let them run part of the airport and the profit the keep and do not share with the county. Other areas and issues the give back to the county because they are not profitable for them!! Is Nelson Whitt just cheery picking the parts he wants because they are profitable areas.
Just close the airport and look at the best use for a huge piece of riverfront property and let's take some burden OFF the taxpayers and become more forward thinking instead of keeping this burden ongoing. This prime property needs to be a profitable endeavor for all of Lawrence County!!'
Beverly

Proctorville, OH

#2 Jul 16, 2013
I think you are on the right track. That land can and should be used for more than the elite out of state plane owners. It need to benefit everyone in our. County if was brig used for a commercial or industrial site then at least the county could collect property taxes.!!!!
You Too

Proctorville, OH

#3 Jul 27, 2013
Well my fellow taxpayers, it seem to me that we only have one (1) level headed county commissioner on the staff. I think Mr Pratt can foresee the future and he does try his best to sway his non-educated commissioners to look st the profitable and intelligent areas of county business, but he is having a struggle keeping them from backsliding back to their ways of the "DOOD OLE BOY". I thought that our young Mr. Hayes was smarter than to let a bunch of one sided positions sway him to throw his new found career away. Daddy would be soooo sad!!!
Truth

Columbia, SC

#4 Jul 27, 2013
Mr Hayes is the only commissiner that has a backbone in this county. He doesn't need to even do this job he isn't like Mr Pratt who is the real good old boy member who lets Mr Jason Dagwood stephens listen to every meeting from his phone.jason thinks he owns this county now we have someone to stand up to his so called financial planner who can't even manage his own businesses he spent 600,000 of our taxpayers money on his office and sets behind a 10,000 dollar desk great for us.Take him on Mr Hayes he can't run over u we know that an he knows that.Mr Hayes doesn't have to vote the way anyone else does we know that he doesn't chime in with ur alls game I've known him all my life he's for the people and only the people.
Pilot

Chesapeake, OH

#5 Aug 11, 2013
The airport doesnt/shouldnt cost the county any money. The local group of pilots used to collect the rents for the hangars which was then forwarded to the county(income). The county is now the responsible party for collecting, hence, past due rents. Taxes are collected on the sale of aviation fuel(income). Taxes are collected on maintenance services performed at the airport(income). The citizens should demand an audit of the financial records. The money that is spent on the eminent domain lawsuit is available to be reimbursed by the FAA.

You would be surprised at the amount of transient traffic this airport sees. When these people visit YOUR airport they spend money in our county. Why would you not want that?

Why does it matter where a plane owner is from? Isnt that kind of exclusionist? Mr Pratt has made that remark several times as well. They pay the same as a resident to keep their planes here.

The lease states that if the property ceases to be used as an airport for 1 year, it reverts back to the Wilson family. The Wilson family deeded it to the county in the 1930's. If this reversion were to happen who would gain? Ive heard rumors that a certain percentage of the sale was promised to the county. How much that would be greasing the palms of a commissioner? Arent 2 of the current commissioners owners of large amounts of land in the county? They floated the idea of relocating the airport in one meeting. And isnt the Fayette trustee who recently came out in opposition to the airport, a builder who would possibly stand to gain significantly from a developed airport property?
reading for fun

Proctorville, OH

#6 Aug 11, 2013
Leave the airport alone! They are a nice bunch of people. Why not do something with the ever failing Kmart plaza.
Heh

South Point, OH

#7 Aug 25, 2013
HUMMMM wrote:
Almost all of the owners of planes at the Chesapeake Airport live out of state Why should Lawrence County furnish this group of owner/pilots this cut rate airport? This is extremely valuable industrial property that earns the county "no taxes"! I firmly believe that the airport needs to be gone and this property converted into a type of property that benefits all of the local area and the county. This should bring in thousands of dollars in tax revenue instead of the county catering to a few "elite" and costing the county. My Goodness, some of the hanger rents are over a year in arrears. Seems like "Attitude Aviation" wants their cake and eat it too. We let them run part of the airport and the profit the keep and do not share with the county. Other areas and issues the give back to the county because they are not profitable for them!! Is Nelson Whitt just cheery picking the parts he wants because they are profitable areas.
Just close the airport and look at the best use for a huge piece of riverfront property and let's take some burden OFF the taxpayers and become more forward thinking instead of keeping this burden ongoing. This prime property needs to be a profitable endeavor for all of Lawrence County!!'
Lol...sooo much stupid in one post...good job retard.
Barry

Proctorville, OH

#8 Aug 25, 2013
Heh wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol...sooo much stupid in one post...good job retard.
A typical attitude from a user of this airport. No real intelligent rebuttal.
Izrul

Huntington, WV

#9 Aug 27, 2013
IF we get "rid" of it WE NEED A DRAG STRIP!!!!!local
Gregory

Proctorville, OH

#10 Aug 27, 2013
Izrul wrote:
IF we get "rid" of it WE NEED A DRAG STRIP!!!!!local
I agree. A dragstrip would be much better than what is there now. At least the county would get tax dollars unlike now!
haha

Chesapeake, OH

#11 Aug 27, 2013
reading for fun wrote:
Leave the airport alone! They are a nice bunch of people. Why not do something with the ever failing Kmart plaza.
Look up the address of Kmart. It's South Point, not Chesapeake. So is the airport. It's SP school district.
Gregory

Proctorville, OH

#12 Aug 28, 2013
reading for fun wrote:
Leave the airport alone! They are a nice bunch of people. Why not do something with the ever failing Kmart plaza.
Even though the building that housed the K Mart is unoccupied, the county still receives tax dollars from the owners. The airport brings in ZERO DOLLARS I tax money. If the property valued at anything at all then there would be tax dollars collected as opposed to now. The taxes received now are ZERO. THAT IS RIDULOUS. All for a group of "sport flyers" that insist on taking advantage of the tax payers of Lawrence County!
Get the facts

Chesapeake, OH

#13 Aug 30, 2013
What about the taxes from aircraft maintenance ? Sales of fuel? Oh and the income from hangar rent? That adds up to more than zero. As much as you want to believe the commissioner who says the airport is a drag you are wrong.

Where are all the industry types beating the door down to locate in Lawrence county? I'd support doing away with the airport if there were some proof of demand. The commissioner spearheading the development push is going at it with blinders on. That stretch of road is a traffic gridlock when school lets out. And the awesome design of that intersection by BP helps oh so much. Do some studies to show the impact before haphazardly tearing up a functioning part of infrastructure.
Heh

Huntington, WV

#14 Sep 7, 2013
Get the facts wrote:
What about the taxes from aircraft maintenance ? Sales of fuel? Oh and the income from hangar rent? That adds up to more than zero. As much as you want to believe the commissioner who says the airport is a drag you are wrong.
Where are all the industry types beating the door down to locate in Lawrence county? I'd support doing away with the airport if there were some proof of demand. The commissioner spearheading the development push is going at it with blinders on. That stretch of road is a traffic gridlock when school lets out. And the awesome design of that intersection by BP helps oh so much. Do some studies to show the impact before haphazardly tearing up a functioning part of infrastructure.
Don't even try...common sense is a lost cause around these parts.
Gregory

Proctorville, OH

#15 Dec 31, 2013
Get the facts wrote:
What about the taxes from aircraft maintenance ? Sales of fuel? Oh and the income from hangar rent? That adds up to more than zero. As much as you want to believe the commissioner who says the airport is a drag you are wrong.
Where are all the industry types beating the door down to locate in Lawrence county? I'd support doing away with the airport if there were some proof of demand. The commissioner spearheading the development push is going at it with blinders on. That stretch of road is a traffic gridlock when school lets out. And the awesome design of that intersection by BP helps oh so much. Do some studies to show the impact before haphazardly tearing up a functioning part of infrastructure.
The yearly total income derived from the tax on all those whopping sales won't even pay for the audit annually. I often wonder if it's possible that some of the airport activity is illegal. Most of the supporters are quite sketchy....hummmm. Any thoughts?
Get the facts

Chesapeake, OH

#16 Jan 4, 2014
When you say sketchy supporters, do you mean the brain surgeons, dentists, engineers, lawyers, real estate developers, teachers, firemen, police officers, janitors, truck drivers and small successful business owners who support the airport?

Can we get the county to release the cost figures for the airport? Or are we common folk not privy to that info?
Todd

Hockessin, DE

#17 Jan 6, 2014
Get the facts? Are you really SCOTT HART!
Get the facts

Chesapeake, OH

#18 Jan 8, 2014
Nope. Just a concerned citizen.

Just bamboozled by the sketchy supporters comment. Scetchy people do not have the mental aptitude required to operate an aircraft. Sketchy people try to make back room deals and sell assets of the taxpayers for political and financial gain.
Please get the facts

Kenova, WV

#19 Jan 11, 2014
The property that the airport is on is owned by the family that owns the cemetery, that property is NOT owned by the county. The county gets to have an airport in this location because of the families good will and desire to see the county succeed. The people that have loved ones placed in this cemetery would like to know that their loved ones can rest in peace. Please put yourself in their shoes - would you want someone to dig up the graves of your loved family members. That seems like a slap in the face to the people that cared about the county to start with. How is that for a THANK YOU?? Our family members were laid there to rest in peace.
never owned a plane

Hockessin, DE

#20 Jan 14, 2014
Get the facts wrote:
What about the taxes from aircraft maintenance ? Sales of fuel? Oh and the income from hangar rent? That adds up to more than zero. As much as you want to believe the commissioner who says the airport is a drag you are wrong.

Where are all the industry types beating the door down to locate in Lawrence county? I'd support doing away with the airport if there were some proof of demand. The commissioner spearheading the development push is going at it with blinders on. That stretch of road is a traffic gridlock when school lets out. And the awesome design of that intersection by BP helps oh so much. Do some studies to show the impact before haphazardly tearing up a functioning part of infrastructure.
I don't think the sales taxes from the airport would be anywhere near what we could get from a basspro, Home Depot or other large anchor store going in there. As far as hanger rental, wouldn't they have to actually collect that before we could figure that in to the equation?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chesapeake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coaches 2 hr Sunshine 14
Lawrence Village 5 hr Nox Aeterna 2
Jeremy Clay is a moron 12 hr Fiddle Bug 2
Discusted at owner of highland memorial gardens 13 hr Discusted 1
Air conditioner problems at FHS 16 hr Really 8
poodle haired b1tch amber shoemaker 17 hr jimmy john 1
Jill Stapelton (Sep '14) Thu Knows all 14

Chesapeake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chesapeake Mortgages