Halloween on Oct. 30? Some Gaston tow...

Halloween on Oct. 30? Some Gaston towns say yes

There are 37 comments on the The Gaston Gazette story from Oct 12, 2010, titled Halloween on Oct. 30? Some Gaston towns say yes. In it, The Gaston Gazette reports that:

Tell us what you think: Comment here or go to The Gaston Gazette or Gaston County School Closings on Facebook to tell us what you think about Halloween on Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Gaston Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#22 Oct 28, 2010
I Love Mt Holly wrote:
I wonder if you two have ever been sitting in the same restaurant or in line one behind the other in the grocery store or post office (Kelly and Hawk) and had a civil conversation about how long it's taking in line or to get your food and didn't realize you were the posters here???? Oh my goodness!
Hawk has been quiet lately, or posting by another name. I miss the exchanges between the two of them. Entertaining for sure. I laugh too, but sometimes I feel a little guilty about finding so much humor in their mutual dislike for each other. LOL

Location hidden

#23 Oct 28, 2010
Will someone go and post something (I don't care what) after all my postings in these forums? I am getting tired of seeing my "name". Be gentle in what you say...I have feelings too. Thanks people! This posting on forums is kind of addictive, but I feel like a "ball hog" LOL
I Love Mt Holly

Charlotte, NC

#24 Oct 28, 2010
mmeuller wrote:
<quoted text>
Hawk has been quiet lately, or posting by another name. I miss the exchanges between the two of them. Entertaining for sure. I laugh too, but sometimes I feel a little guilty about finding so much humor in their mutual dislike for each other. LOL
They know we think they are funny. I think they enjoy us enjoying them!

Since: Oct 10

Charlotte, NC

#25 Oct 29, 2010
This is the problem I see with this ridiculous decision about moving Halloween to Saturday. Council seems to have made their decision based on one side. As a candy-giver-outer I’m going to stick with the calendar and give out candy on Oct. 31. There have been all kinds of reasons given as to why Halloween should be moved to Saturday and I understand all of them. But, I have the candy, my kids are too old to trick or treat, my calendar says Halloween is on Sunday, and have a prior commitment for Saturday.

Once again, seems Council did not think this all the way through. There are two groups involved in Halloween to make it successful for kids. You’ve got trick-or-treaters and candy-giver-outers. As a mom of teenagers I tend to pick my battles with them and I can’t believe that the council has taken on this battle. It should be a non-issue and council should have stayed out of it.

Location hidden

#27 Oct 29, 2010
Council has to justify their salary by doing something. I guess mandating holiday's is something.

My deal is with the sex offenders. They'll be out and about on Saturday night. So will our kids (if we follow Council directive). Seems like the council decided this by the "ready, shoot, aim" method.

But, if I were a kid, I'd be liking this situation. Looks like some will get to trick or treat two nights in a row. Thanks, Council.
I Love Mt Holly

Charlotte, NC

#28 Oct 29, 2010
mmeuller wrote:
Will someone go and post something (I don't care what) after all my postings in these forums? I am getting tired of seeing my "name". Be gentle in what you say...I have feelings too. Thanks people! This posting on forums is kind of addictive, but I feel like a "ball hog" LOL
Wonder how we get Hawk back?

Location hidden

#29 Oct 29, 2010
I Love Mt Holly wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder how we get Hawk back?
He must agree with K Collins right now, otherwise he would be on here calling him a Jerk! BTW...Halloween observed on Oct. 30th is just STUPID! I agree with all of the posters expressing their "pissy" attitude toward council members and Hough! Just STUPID! I wonder if they have read the book I suggested?

Location hidden

#30 Oct 29, 2010
Read the first paragraph. Is it too late for Mount Holly City Council to retract their vote?

http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/hallowe...

Location hidden

#31 Oct 29, 2010
"concerned parents should look at the sex offender list on the Sheriff’s Department website or the N.C. Department of Correction website to see if there is an offender in their neighborhood".
Very good idea anyway, regardless if it is Halloween or Mt. Holly's "Non Halloween holiday" (on Oct. 30th). Too many parents and kids would be confused. This is SO DUMB!

Location hidden

#32 Oct 29, 2010
mmeuller wrote:
"concerned parents should look at the sex offender list on the Sheriff’s Department website or the N.C. Department of Correction website to see if there is an offender in their neighborhood".
Very good idea anyway, regardless if it is Halloween or Mt. Holly's "Non Halloween holiday" (on Oct. 30th). Too many parents and kids would be confused. This is SO DUMB!
I hate to reply to my own post, but I want to clarify something. It would be wise for parents to check to see if sex offenders are in their neighborhood anytime. I was just reiterating the fact that moving Halloween in the first place was STUPID, and that it would be confusing to try to change their minds back now. I agree with all the other posters who are going to celebrate Halloween on the 31st, but I think the CONFUSION has already occured!

Location hidden

#33 Oct 29, 2010
Here's an article that states it is illegal for MH to change Halloween to Saturday:

http://www1.katc.com/news/complaint-filed-to-...
can believe it

United States

#34 Oct 29, 2010
is this true?
CMAC

California, MD

#35 Oct 30, 2010
Wear your costumes to church and go trick or treating afterward, haha!
Uh oh

Charlotte, NC

#36 Oct 30, 2010
What happens if Halloween falls on Wednesday? Do we move it because of church services? And are the Catholics pissed off because everyone voted to do Halloween on Saturday this year?

I hate the Detroit Lions. Can City Hall move Thanksgiving to Friday so I'm not forced to watch that team attempt to play the game of football?

Maybe Mount Holly needs to create its own calendar. Maybe have less than 365 days in a year so we can party on the last day of the year more often. Or have multiple Christmases because I like getting gifts. We could eliminate some of the holidays we secretly don't like (I'll not name them here... but you know the ones). Is it okay to want multiple Cinco de Mayos?
mklady

Sebring, FL

#37 Oct 30, 2010
Not sure who decided that Summey Knoll could Trick or Treat whenever the parents decided !!! What the heck ???? I guess we'll have it 2 nights so that whatever the parents decide, we can accomodate...! This has been the most confusing Halloween ever for us...The traffic jams are horrendous, so I suppose we'll have 2 nights of that too....whatever happen to the city making the decision & sticking to it....not each subdivision making their own decision based on the likes of a few...not the 200 or so that live here...

Location hidden

#38 Oct 30, 2010
mklady wrote:
Not sure who decided that Summey Knoll could Trick or Treat whenever the parents decided !!! What the heck ???? I guess we'll have it 2 nights so that whatever the parents decide, we can accomodate...! This has been the most confusing Halloween ever for us...The traffic jams are horrendous, so I suppose we'll have 2 nights of that too....whatever happen to the city making the decision & sticking to it....not each subdivision making their own decision based on the likes of a few...not the 200 or so that live here...
So stupid and confusing this decision has become. HALLOWEEN IS TOMORROW, NOT TODAY! OCTOBER 31st WOW! Poor kids and parents of Mount Holly. On the lighter side of things...it will be funny someday.

Location hidden

#39 Oct 30, 2010
Just drove by Mount Holly Middle School. There is a Mount Holly Optimist football game being played right now. Guess those kids will miss out on Halloween. Maybe the council should have thought this out before hastily making this decision. Ready, Shoot, Aim. Poor kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do married women like to cheat (Jul '08) 22 hr like married women 145
Sheriff retirement Nov 28 Questions 1
News Gaston College instructor arrested in online te... (Apr '09) Nov 28 Perv hater 11
Trying to contact my son, 34 year old Richard P... Nov 24 ZYX765 1
trying to contact my son Nov 24 ZYX765 1
News Gaston County planning new school in Belmont Up... Nov 19 Shea Shires 1
Ken from Food Lion Nov 16 thischick 13

Cherryville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Cherryville Mortgages