Comments
41,941 - 41,960 of 58,935 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

#43521 Oct 20, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
SOF, there are solutions to children going hungry and they're quite simple. I'm not a big fan of Allen's, but the has expressed as Emlu and I have, we all grew up poor and both have inexpensive but filling recipes.
Someone like Allen and Emlu could teach classes to people on food stamps or those that have to use food pantries how to cook cheaply and keep children from going hungry. It's not rocket science, but it does take the mother getting up off her bum instead of taking children to fast food joints to eat and then selling their food stamps for non essential items.
Underprivileged children can have breakfast and lunch at school free. Right there, two meals mom doesn't have to prepare and can save to have more money for nutritional meals, not for mom to sell to buy drugs, have her hair and nails done or purchase clothing for herself.
As long as parents are not held accountable for the welfare of their children and are not taught to take pride in being a parent and meeting their family's needs they never will. Our government has become a big source of enablers to the poor and they don't work because they don't have to.
I can't say that I disagree with these suggestions, however, there are plenty of children age birth to 5 at home not getting the free school lunch. Also, are the people teaching these classes volunteers or paid government employee? I think you would get very few people to volunteer, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, something needs to move forward to assure poor children good nutrition, and that is certainly a step.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#43522 Oct 20, 2013
State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't say that I disagree with these suggestions, however, there are plenty of children age birth to 5 at home not getting the free school lunch. Also, are the people teaching these classes volunteers or paid government employee? I think you would get very few people to volunteer, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, something needs to move forward to assure poor children good nutrition, and that is certainly a step.
SOF, baby formula can be bought with food stamps. There's no need for an infant not to have formula. Things have changed a whole lot since I had an infant but we used to feed our babies earlier than doctors recommend now. When the time comes for a baby to start on table food it's very simple to make your own baby food using the same food you are serving the rest of the family. Green beans, green peas, bananas, canned fruits and vegetables can all be "mushed" up to prevent choking and this also would save on buying overpriced baby food. Toddlers can eat from the table and receive the same nourishment as those receiving free breakfast and lunch. Eggs are wonderful source of protein and instant grits and oatmeal also are soft nutritious breakfast items, but they don't fix themselves, mom has to step in. You get it.

SOF, there are plenty of people with common sense about cooking and actually enjoy sharing that would be glad to provide their knowledge for free. I'm certain churches, communities centers or even privately owned businesses that have extra space would allow these classes.

Getting the word out isn't difficult and quite frankly I think people ought to be made to attend such classes just as they are parenting classes if they're in the system. I say they don't even need to be in the system. Heck plenty of people on an extremely tight budget sometimes don't know how to stretch a dollar regarding meals and would welcome having a little extra money, but they too have to be committed.

Just my thought on how to help people without just throwing money at them. They need the knowledge to go with the monies they receive.

“Smarter Than You”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#43523 Oct 20, 2013
State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Not that I am interested, but I bet that is good Texas beef.
Goodness gracious....
barkers

Tampa, FL

#43524 Oct 20, 2013
Allen is from guam so i think hes loves mangos

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#43525 Oct 20, 2013
Went to Blowing Rick Got some habenero cheese, peach jam with jalapeno, and pumpkin sourdough bread....OMG! THAT STUFF IS GREAT.! LOVE THIS STATE!
State of Florida

Charlotte, NC

#43526 Oct 20, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
Went to Blowing Rick Got some habenero cheese, peach jam with jalapeno, and pumpkin sourdough bread....OMG! THAT STUFF IS GREAT.! LOVE THIS STATE!
'Blowing Rick' is a guy who lives in my town. Didn't know he had a cheese shop. LOL

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#43527 Oct 20, 2013
State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
'Blowing Rick' is a guy who lives in my town. Didn't know he had a cheese shop. LOL
I thought I corrected that, but Swype sometimes does what it wants.Blowing Rock is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#43529 Oct 20, 2013
Bacon a few days in paradise never hurt anybody.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#43530 Oct 20, 2013
State of Florida wrote:
<quoted text>

Omg, now that is funny. I don't care who you are. roflmao.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#43531 Oct 20, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
Allen we deal with the local farmers here, only.The stuff they grow, the eggs, incredible! Fantastic flavor! We deal with the growers, no stores.
Your post reminded me of something that happened on the farm when I was little girl.
We had free range chickens, a milk cow, pigs and a huge garden. There wasn't many cars that traveled our road, but one day this real fancy car pulled up. When they got out they were dressed really nice and talked really proper. They asked mother if she would sell them some eggs, vegetables, milk and butter. The butter from that ole jersey cow was as yellow as a harvest moon. Mother told them that she would have to talk to my daddy because she had never sold anything like that and wouldn't have a clue what to charge. After they left I ask her who they were and she said, "Honey them was Florida people." That evening when my daddy came home she told him about the visit. My daddy, God rest his freckled Irish soul was one of the most kind hearted people I have ever known. But, he said to my mother, "Don't you sell them people noth'n." Then he turned and said, "you give them whatever it is they ask for.'Cause if you don't our hens will quit lay'n, the cow will go dry, our garden will dry up to nothing and we will be in a fix. Now you hear what I say woman." We had more that year than I can ever remember. Late fall that year our Florida people left to go back home. But when they returned they brought with them oranges, tangerines, grapefruits and toys for us kids. The only time we ever got a toy or an orange was at Cristmas time. Even though we we dirt floor poor we felt rich as could be.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#43532 Oct 20, 2013
correction- we were

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#43533 Oct 20, 2013
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post reminded me of something that happened on the farm when I was little girl.
We had free range chickens, a milk cow, pigs and a huge garden. There wasn't many cars that traveled our road, but one day this real fancy car pulled up. When they got out they were dressed really nice and talked really proper. They asked mother if she would sell them some eggs, vegetables, milk and butter. The butter from that ole jersey cow was as yellow as a harvest moon. Mother told them that she would have to talk to my daddy because she had never sold anything like that and wouldn't have a clue what to charge. After they left I ask her who they were and she said, "Honey them was Florida people." That evening when my daddy came home she told him about the visit. My daddy, God rest his freckled Irish soul was one of the most kind hearted people I have ever known. But, he said to my mother, "Don't you sell them people noth'n." Then he turned and said, "you give them whatever it is they ask for.'Cause if you don't our hens will quit lay'n, the cow will go dry, our garden will dry up to nothing and we will be in a fix. Now you hear what I say woman." We had more that year than I can ever remember. Late fall that year our Florida people left to go back home. But when they returned they brought with them oranges, tangerines, grapefruits and toys for us kids. The only time we ever got a toy or an orange was at Cristmas time. Even though we we dirt floor poor we felt rich as could be.
Best post.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#43534 Oct 20, 2013
Makin bacon wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the recipe. What you lack in manners you make up for with good recipes.
Allen, do you know much about the tropics? Apples can be grown but they don't hold a light to what we have access to in the U.S. I'm wondering if I can use canned apples? The mango in the tropics is kind of like what apples/peaches are to us in the U.S. The funniest thing about living in the tropics is I don't each fish and I'm not crazy about mangoes, but I'm learning.
I think canned apples would work if you drain them well and maybe put a couple teaspoons to each crescent.

Honestly Bacon I really don't know a lot about the tropics other than what I have read or seen on TV. I'm sure for someone like me who has lived in the mountains all her life, it would take some real adjusting. Lol.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#43535 Oct 20, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
<quoted text> Best post.
That is the short version of a true story. I have written several about my childhood. That story I titled "A Time To Give". I have never done anything with my stories though. I just keep writing and tucking them away.
Thanks Waco:)

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#43536 Oct 20, 2013
I realized that I don't want to be buried in Texas.For me,a profound realization.Because, I love Texas.I want to stay here, die here.Guess it's not about geography, it's about people.But, here, it is beautiful.
EPA

Lenoir, NC

#43538 Oct 20, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
I realized that I don't want to be buried in Texas.For me,a profound realization.Because, I love Texas.I want to stay here, die here.Guess it's not about geography, it's about people.But, here, it is beautiful.
They have laws in this state against littering and pollution. You need to get your rancid dead carcass back to TexAss, Brokeback Mountain boy.

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#43539 Oct 20, 2013
EPA wrote:
<quoted text>They have laws in this state against littering and pollution. You need to get your rancid dead carcass back to TexAss, Brokeback Mountain boy.
jealous, sweetie?

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#43540 Oct 20, 2013
PEDOPHILE BIPOLAR ALERT wrote:
<quoted text>This state certainly doesn't like you, Almond Joy schizoid. You and Blowing Rock have a lot in common, namesake wise that is.
I'll defer to you, you being the local"blowing"expert .No doubt!

“Smarter Than You”

Location hidden

#43541 Oct 20, 2013
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the short version of a true story. I have written several about my childhood. That story I titled "A Time To Give". I have never done anything with my stories though. I just keep writing and tucking them away.
Thanks Waco:)
you may have forgotten, been awhile, but I told you a long time ago, that you should write.
Allen

Penrose, NC

#43542 Oct 21, 2013
waco1909 wrote:
Yes it is beautiful. But I can't help but wonder for how long. These deveoplers just keep defacing and raping our mountains and all in the name of progression. The concrete just keeps coming.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherryville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson, MS Fri TigerMK6 4
Pop Warner football Thu Mthollywood 9
looking for your confessions. (May '12) Aug 27 cgj 68
rail trail (voices) motz ave side lincolnton, nc Aug 27 mikemike 1
cmc lincoln sucks Aug 10 you fool 4
House of Hope - Friday Family (Apr '13) Aug 6 WindsOfLove 7
grant this wish? Aug 5 question 1
•••
•••
•••