Put priority on respect for Cherokee heritage in runway expansion

The state of North Carolina should do all it can to address the objections of the Eastern Band of Cherokee regarding a runway expansion at the Macon County Airport. Full Story

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#21 Feb 25, 2009
bruce wayne wrote:
<quoted text>You never know when BUSH might want to come calling on his number one fan...you! obama might want to bring in airforce one for a look at the artifacts they find. You always look at the negative side of life,...but I guess if I was you I would be negative also.
Oh, crap! Grow up, Bruce!
Ghost Dog

Springfield, MO

#22 Feb 25, 2009
The rich and powerful don't worry about respect, they just want what they want and could care less about anything else, unless it causes them embarressment/ridicule or costs them money/influence. Why is it always the taxpayers that have to pay, with their lives in wars like the one "W" started just because he could or paying for stadiums to be sold like the one "W" and the other owners of the Rangers sold or building an airport for the use of a few rich folks and a couple dozen "enthusiasts"!

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#23 Feb 25, 2009
bruce wayne wrote:
<quoted text> I still don't see how this is going to bother the dead. It will bother those living, but the dead won't say one word in protest, never have, never will.
Geezus, Bruce, quit being so dense! Do you want an airport runway over the graves of your ancestors? I'll bet you wouldn't.

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

#24 Feb 25, 2009
The letters are also over at Easternband.com
http://www.easternband.com/forums/showthread....

I don't know if that is one that is closed to the public or not. That post I should say. Most of it you have to register to see.
Ghost Dog

Springfield, MO

#25 Feb 26, 2009
Reading the local newspapers shows that some misinformation/disinformation is being passed out relating to numbers of passengers/users at the Macon airport. Claims of over 5,000 "passengers" using the airport last year, etc. The extension seems to evolve around one local firm/person who claims no more than 3 passengers can fly out of the airport at present, which is not true. Games are being played to get the taxpayers to pay for a longer runway to allow insurance protection, larger aircraft and other benefits for a few rich folks. Nobody is representing the average worker non-users of the airport who will pay for, already have and do pay for a recreational facility for a few rich folks! Sort of like the Bailout of Wall Street, the poor guys suffer while the rich fly!

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

#26 Feb 26, 2009
Ghost dog it is there way to get the people not to do anything in this. Like bribing the people. However the end is, the people are the one paying.

And who wants that many planes flying over their heads there?

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#27 Feb 27, 2009
Ravenz Moon wrote:
Ghost dog it is there way to get the people not to do anything in this. Like bribing the people. However the end is, the people are the one paying.
And who wants that many planes flying over their heads there?
For once I agree with the Dog. That damn airport has been nothing but a constant financial drain on the county for years. And it is there to serve the privileged few. Phil Drake, a well-heeled Franklin businessman, was quoted in a local paper as saying he needed more runway so he could get a bigger plane to "fly my staff to Myrtle Beach"!!! He was sniveling over the fact that the plane he has now "has to make two trips" to get all his staff down to Myrtle. Phil Drake is one of the wealthiest men in Macon County, so of course the county is gonna pander to him and to the high-rollers in Highlands. Personally, I think that if Phil Drake needs a bigger plane, he ought to go buy him one and keep it in Asheville. They have lots of runway there.
Ghost Dog

Springfield, MO

#28 Feb 27, 2009
RM, there are not that many planes that fly on a daily basis, very few in fact. There are less than 20 planes that are housed at the airport and some days there are none that fly, even in good weather. The problem is, there are so many other projects that would benefit more people, with less money. As it goes in small and big towns, there are some powerful people, groups/cliques, that you can't go against and the group wanting the enlargement are a powerful force in Franklin/Macon. There is not a problem with too many planes, in fact they are rather infrequent, especially for one facility to garner so much of the taxpayer's money. Same with the money the local "leaders" spend on construction of government facilities. They seem to pay twice what the price should be, and the same contractor, a friend of the decision makers seems to get them. Can't get over the amount the county "leaders" paid for bottom land,$2.4 Million for 10 useable acres in a less than favorable location. Now, they have drilled 300 wells to provide "thermal" energy to heat and cool the school. May be good technology, but it sure is expensive! They sure do like spending money, guess that's why they spent the surpluses, both county and town.

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

#29 Feb 27, 2009
Another article came out yesterday. The country says they are going to go ahead no matter what and only do 25% of the land.

If you think this is wrong then those local officials are not going to do anything but back money. They know graves are there and what are they doing?
http://www.maconnews.com/index.php...
Cherokee Nations seek compromise over runway expansion as project begins
Thursday, 26 February 2009

If you want to fight this then make your voice heard and SOON! You can write me at justice4abgnc@yahoo.com or view the letters at easternband.com

You can let politics walk all over the people...living and passed over, of all people or speak up.

“Warning I misspell Get over it”

Since: Aug 07

Asheville NC

#30 Feb 27, 2009
Awww Snap ....

They might want to hold off on their little desicreate party. They might need a little reminder of this little known law .....

http://www.nps.gov/history/nagpra/MANDATES/25...

Sorry Airport and Spoiled rich people there is a law protecting the land. It can wait, im not going to have any body landing planes on my Forefathers.

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

#31 Feb 28, 2009
mystery logger wrote:
Awww Snap ....
They might want to hold off on their little desicreate party. They might need a little reminder of this little known law .....
http://www.nps.gov/history/nagpra/MANDATES/25...
Sorry Airport and Spoiled rich people there is a law protecting the land. It can wait, im not going to have any body landing planes on my Forefathers.
Well that is what is in the letters to remind the senators. Dr. Tinkerly has already reminded the county in his report of his study of this act. As you can see the state so far says.. tuff shyt and is only requiring 25% done. That is why we are going after the Senators. They are not waiting in this, they are going ahead and starting. That is why time is of essence in this.

Where is shuler in all this. He has also been added to the list to contact. What is his stand?

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#32 Feb 28, 2009
mystery logger wrote:
Awww Snap ....
They might want to hold off on their little desicreate party. They might need a little reminder of this little known law .....
http://www.nps.gov/history/nagpra/MANDATES/25...
Sorry Airport and Spoiled rich people there is a law protecting the land. It can wait, im not going to have any body landing planes on my Forefathers.
If that is so, then Chief Hicks and the tribe need to get their lawyer to sue the Macon County Commissioners and their Airport Authority. That Airport Authority has always kissed the butts of the rich high-rollers, and it's time for that crap to stop.

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#33 Feb 28, 2009
Ravenz Moon wrote:
Another article came out yesterday. The country says they are going to go ahead no matter what and only do 25% of the land.
If you think this is wrong then those local officials are not going to do anything but back money. They know graves are there and what are they doing?
http://www.maconnews.com/index.php...
Cherokee Nations seek compromise over runway expansion as project begins
Thursday, 26 February 2009
If you want to fight this then make your voice heard and SOON! You can write me at justice4abgnc@yahoo.com or view the letters at easternband.com
You can let politics walk all over the people...living and passed over, of all people or speak up.
Ravenz, I seriously doubt that you can count on Rep. Shuler to do anything that would compromise his ability to seek contributions from the rich high-rollers in Highlands.
bruce wayne

Candler, NC

#34 Feb 28, 2009
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
Ravenz, I seriously doubt that you can count on Rep. Shuler to do anything that would compromise his ability to seek contributions from the rich high-rollers in Highlands.
You sound like the poor victim. You are eat up with class envy. Go chase something.
Lupine

Maiden, NC

#35 Feb 28, 2009
Ravenz Moon wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that is what is in the letters to remind the senators. Dr. Tinkerly has already reminded the county in his report of his study of this act. As you can see the state so far says.. tuff shyt and is only requiring 25% done. That is why we are going after the Senators. They are not waiting in this, they are going ahead and starting. That is why time is of essence in this.
Where is shuler in all this. He has also been added to the list to contact. What is his stand?
his stand in tree. better shot up there
Ghost Dog

Springfield, MO

#36 Feb 28, 2009
How many of the "Airport Authority" reap salary or commissions from County and Town projects or are connected with the one person desiring the longer runway? Follow the money!

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

#37 Feb 28, 2009
Wiley Coyote wrote:
<quoted text>
Ravenz, I seriously doubt that you can count on Rep. Shuler to do anything that would compromise his ability to seek contributions from the rich high-rollers in Highlands.
Well wont know till we try. I hate to jump ship before the hole is in the boat.

As for the lawyers, Nothing has been said about it and not much they can do if the state does not back up the laws. By the tine it went to court all would be done. I have seen that happen before.
I watched them bulldoze slave graves and an indian mound right into the bottom of a dump while building it.

I tell you another thing... they said I cursed the dump. I didn't have a thing to do with that. They did it themselves doing that kind of destruction. I am not even sure how to do curses or spells or anything..lol People kept dropping dead that were in on the desecration or their family members.

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

#38 Feb 28, 2009
Lupine wrote:
<quoted text>
his stand in tree. better shot up there
I got a mean slingshot ;)

“www.coppertoken. com”

Since: Sep 07

State of Confusion

#39 Feb 28, 2009
Ghost Dog wrote:
How many of the "Airport Authority" reap salary or commissions from County and Town projects or are connected with the one person desiring the longer runway? Follow the money!
How many politicians count on votes from the little people? And they need not think I won't remind people either. Election times rolls around I will be reminding people.

Since: Nov 08

The Mountains of WNC

#40 Feb 28, 2009
bruce wayne wrote:
<quoted text>You sound like the poor victim. You are eat up with class envy. Go chase something.
I'll chase your fat a$$ right outta here, you sniveling loser! As usual, you contribute nothing, you just like to hear your fat mouth spout its venom. Your self-concept is in the toilet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DA requests hearing in double-homicide case (Aug '08) Sat executioners 9
Pathalogical liar living with a family in Sylva (Oct '12) Feb 26 Liarliar 4
Snow Poem Feb 24 Timmy_ 1
Remembering chief Dennis Wolf (Aug '10) Feb 23 Mae Harrison 12
Best motels or Cabin rentals in Cherokee (Jul '14) Feb 23 calebhart54 3
Genealogy Research Feb 23 Timmy_ 4
How to make our county Grow (Nov '11) Feb 21 Timmy_ 67
Cherokee Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Cherokee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:26 am PST

Bleacher Report11:26AM
Bears, Steelers Among Top Spots for FA RB Jackson
NBC Sports 2:32 PM
Falcons waive Jonathan Massaquoi
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
NFL Draft 2015: 1st-Round Mock Draft and Top Potential Mid-Round Steals
NFL 6:49 AM
Dan Quinn wants Sean Weatherspoon back on Falcons
Bleacher Report 4:54 PM
What's Best Plan for Replacements for Falcons?